• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 05, 2011 (Jan 31 - Feb 6)

Bebpo

Banned
klee123 said:
Well, this pretty much gives Namco Bandai and other jrpg developers a signal that the Wii is pretty much done for(although I suspected that they've made the decision way before the TLS's performance was revealed).

Guess now they'll focus mainly on PS3, PSP, 3DS and the NGP at this point.

It's not like any other place is better for 3rd party rpgs.

This gen just sucks for jrpg devs. No matter what system you put your game on you're probably stuck at 150-200k sales max. Obviously this doesn't count for higher sellers like Tales or FF or DQ, but for everyone else there is a 150k barrier for the most part. And since they can't count on getting releases outside of Japan anymore, it's even worse. So in order to stay alive they have to keep making jrpgs with really low budgets in order to stay profitable.

I dunno if it's the same rpg fanbase of 100-150k users who just own/buy all the systems and buy the rpgs on each. Which in this case, even if there was only 1 system, the sales wouldn't really improve. Or if there is are like 4 separate groups of 100k rpg players on each system this gen splintering the sales, in which case a single dominating system next time around would allow jrpg devs to get back to that 200-400k sales area again and thrive like they did on the PS2. No idea.

klee123

Bebpo said:

This gen just sucks for jrpg devs. No matter what system you put your game on you're probably stuck at 150-200k sales max. Obviously this doesn't count for higher sellers like Tales or FF or DQ, but for everyone else there is a 150k barrier for the most part. And since they can't count on getting releases outside of Japan anymore, it's even worse. So in order to stay alive they have to keep making jrpgs with really low budgets in order to stay profitable.

I dunno if it's the same rpg fanbase of 100-150k users who just own/buy all the systems and buy the rpgs on each. Which in this case, even if there was only 1 system, the sales wouldn't really improve. Or if there is are like 4 separate groups of 100k rpg players on each system this gen splintering the sales, in which case a single dominating system next time around would allow jrpg devs to get back to that 200-400k sales area again and thrive like they did on the PS2. No idea.

I don't think a lot of jrpgs did more than 300K on the PS2 either. Nothing compared to the days of the PSone where a new jrpg can potentially do more than 500K easily.

That said, the devs can blame no one but themselves for splintering the userbase so much.

Meier

Sammy Samusu said:
Wii is fucked, time for WiiHD.
It isn't even that necessarily. They just should have released a re-design by now. I honestly have no fucking clue what Nintendo is thinking -- they're the king of it but they just refuse to budge on the moribund Wii. It's rather bizarre.

AniHawk

Meier said:
It isn't even that necessarily. They just should have released a re-design by now. I honestly have no fucking clue what Nintendo is thinking -- they're the king of it but they just refuse to budge on the moribund Wii. It's rather bizarre.
it really should have happened when they released the wii remote plus. actually, that was something i thought they would save for next generation, opting to sell the peripheral for the rest of the generation instead.

i think whatever revision would basically be them dropping gamecube support. the wii can't get much slimmer otherwise.

Meier said:

They're focusing on what's more important... the 3DS.

Bebpo said:

No matter what system you put your game on you're probably stuck at 150-200k sales max. Obviously this doesn't count for higher sellers like Tales or FF or DQ, but for everyone else there is a 150k barrier for the most part. And since they can't count on getting releases outside of Japan anymore, it's even worse. So in order to stay alive they have to keep making jrpgs with really low budgets in order to stay profitable.

I imagine very few people would have re-brought star ocean 4, that ended up over 350K total. The original WKC ended up over 350k. I feel like Last story, with the same level of support from Sony could end up with WKC numbers(at the very least do better then WKC2 164k first week, 260k+ life) .

Meier said:

not as bizarre as Nintendo refusing to price drop any first party games. For example; Instead of price dropping Twilight Princess, they just stopped production after it stopped selling at the $49.99 price. Considering printing out another copy costs about $2, Nintendo was leaving money on the table for people who would have payed $19.99-$29.99 for the game. Makes no sense.

perfectchaos007 said:
not as bizarre as Nintendo refusing to price drop any first party games. For example; Instead of price dropping Twilight Princess, they just stopped production after it stopped selling at the $49.99 price. Considering printing out another copy costs about $2, Nintendo was leaving money on the table for people who would have payed $19.99-$29.99 for the game. Makes no sense.
Opportunity cost.

They could make a grab for that money, but it would mean teaching people that if they wait long enough, that games will go down in price. This compromises their ability to sell you another $50 piece of software later on (or even instead of the software you were considering). You'll just wait a little while and get it for cheaper. Maybe they worked out that selling software at full price nets them higher profits than going after the cut-price market.

Iwata talked about this during an interview around the beginning of the gen.

Bebpo

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I imagine very few people would have re-brought star ocean 4, that ended up over 350K total. The original WKC ended up over 350k. I feel like Last story, with the same level of support from Sony could end up with WKC numbers(at the very least do better then WKC2 164k first week, 260k+ life) .

I won't deny that a Mistwalker game could do 200-300k on PS3, but since that hasn't happened and probably won't ever...not much point in discussing. Sony doesn't seem interested (or can afford) to bankroll PS3 games, hence barely any SCEJ titles this gen and Mistwalker doesn't like spending their own money (and probably can't afford to spend PS3 budget) on their games.

SO4 sold because it's a big name rpg franchise like Tales that still does good numbers despite constantly bad entries.

WKC got lucky being the first major rpg exclusive on PS3 combined with L5 + Sony's good marketing (Like Rogue Galaxy, DC2 which also sold very well).

Otoh the Disgaea games barely do 100k, Atelier Rorona/Totori didn't do anything special iirc, Nor did Ar Tonelico 3 and none of the Idea Factory/Compile bad games sold great.

But you might be right and I'm not going to deny that the PS3 may be the place for rpgs right now. The problem is no one has or is making good budget, real effort original ip ps3 exclusive rpgs so without any data there's not much room to speculate. The only rpgs on PS3 are the established big franchises like FF, Tales, SO and the little guys like N1/Gust/IF. The middle guys which were the bulk of the PS2 rpgs that did 100-300k numbers are on the DS/PSP/Wii. So it's hard to tell how they'd do on PS3. I think the middle guys are too afraid to spend the budgets for an PS3 rpg in this economy, especially for a new ip. Instead j-devs tend to focus on making action games for the PS3 as at least they can hope for some overseas sales as well and action games tend to sell decent on PS3 in Japan.

Bebpo said:
Otoh the Disgaea games barely do 100k, Atelier Rorona/Totori didn't do anything special iirc, Nor did Ar Tonelico 3 and none of the Idea Factory/Compile bad games sold great.

I'm not disagreeing you, just want to make sure your numbers are straight: both Atelier and Tonelico 3 series did better overall sales then they did on PS2, and shareholders seem to be expecting high things of Disgaea 4.

Also ROF which had nothing going for it besides tri-ace(and a bad demo) is: 155k first week / 223k Life(360 + ps3)

Idea factory is just weird and can't be factored into anything.

On the other hand marvelous agrees with you and was willing to throw away 3 million dollars on that fact.

Now I want to post my pictures I took of trade-in prices too!

p20110210135814.jpg

Yes that's right! a 250 GB HD new model x-box360 will get you the same amount as a psp-3000 that's been out for 2 years.

Bebpo

Banned
Well I look forward to whatever Marvelous churns out on PS3. Same with Atlus after Catherine. These are the rpg companies I want to start seeing on PS3 to test the market.

The last few Marvelous PSP rpgs have been pretty good and Last Ranker even had great production values, so if they can translate that to the PS3 it'd be nice. Although the clips of Black Rock Shooter look really terrible, but I'm hoping that's because it's a 60fps title. The FINAL PROMISE STORY (worst title ever) is hard to judge atm, some of it looks really polished and high production, but other parts look like their Fate rpg which looked awful and low budget. Will still probably give it a shot.

Takao

Banned
Bebpo said:
Well I look forward to whatever Marvelous churns out on PS3. Same with Atlus after Catherine. These are the rpg companies I want to start seeing on PS3 to test the market.

The last few Marvelous PSP rpgs have been pretty good and Last Ranker even had great production values, so if they can translate that to the PS3 it'd be nice. Although the clips of Black Rock Shooter look really terrible, but I'm hoping that's because it's a 60fps title. The FINAL PROMISE STORY (worst title ever) is hard to judge atm, some of it looks really polished and high production, but other parts look like their Fate rpg which looked awful and low budget. Will still probably give it a shot.

You mean Imageepoch. Marvelous is the Harvest Moon people.

Durante

Bebpo said:
Atelier Rorona/Totori didn't do anything special iirc, Nor did Ar Tonelico 3
Rorona did really well, and Totori is the best selling Atelier title since PS1 at least, better than all the PS2 entries. Likewise AT3 is the best selling entry in the series.

That's still only around 100 to 110 k, but given the above I don't think that this gen sucked for Gust. And they are pretty much the only third party JRPG dev that focused on PS3 exclusively (well, they had a few outsourced DS games which didn't do too well).

Edit: I spent too much time rechecking my numbers and FINALFANTASYDOG beat me to it :p
RoF is also a good point though, that game had nothing special to go for it (except quality) and did quite well.

Bebpo

Banned
That's true, although it'd have been interesting to see if Infinite Undiscovery would have sold like RoF if there was a PS3 version as well. I get the feeling Tri-ace games tend to sell pretty well and have name brand recognition at this point. Or maybe they just know how to make games that Japanese gamers want.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Yeah sorry for confusing you, I thought you heard the news already

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/09/mmv_ps360_rpg_cancelled/

Basically due to HD market conditions, they canceled it and lost 3 million dollars in production fees,

Yeah I was confused and was thinking of IE. I hadn't seen that article.

So despite rpgs doing ok on PS3, Marvelous felt it wasn't worth finishing their game? Wat.

It feels like the medium/smaller 3rd party developers in Japan have zero faith in the industry right now and if you don't have faith in your chosen platform and don't put 110% effort into making the best product, you release subpar products, or cancel them and then eventually go out of business. I really don't know how they're going to get out of this rut.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Durante said:
Rorona did really well, and Totori is the best selling Atelier title since PS1 at least, better than all the PS2 entries. Likewise AT3 is the best selling entry in the series.
That can more likely be attributed to the fact that the titles hit the PS3 at a time when the userbase was starved for JRPGs and were willing to pick up any kind for the system. You can notice a similar effect with Ideaf's JRPGs that were PS3-only as well.

Even big name RPGs nowadays don't really pull in the same numbers that their predecessors had achieved on prior systems. It really seems nowadays that if you're going to make a HD JRPG, you have to either go big on budget and quality and then depend on overseas sales to keep profitability, or you go budget and niche and be content with harvesting your userbase.

Bebpo said:
That's true, although it'd have been interesting to see if Infinite Undiscovery would have sold like RoF if there was a PS3 version as well.
If IU wasn't an exclusive and in some parallel universe it was multiplatform, I certainly would expect it to do very similar numbers to what it has now. All the PS3 really does is cannibalize 360 sales when titles are multiplatform. The question is whether that model is profitable for companies to sustain.

Durante

icecream said:
That can more likely be attributed to the fact that the titles hit the PS3 at a time when the userbase was starved for JRPGs and were willing to pick up any kind for the system.
You can absolutely make that point for Rorona, but not at all for the other 2 (which did even better). In fact, AT3 came out on the same day as Resonance of Fate (!), and Totori was just half a year ago and around the same time WKC2 was released.

Oh, and Trinity Universe came out around AT3 and didn't even do 1/4 of its numbers, so I fail to see the "similar effect" on Idea Factory games.

duckroll said:
Then it is attributed to the fact that Rorona hit at a time where people were starved for RPGs, and they liked it enough to stick around for future games by the same developer.
Well, that may be the case. If so, good for those people!

duckroll

Durante said:
You can absolutely make that point for Rorona, but not at all for the other 2 (which did even better). In fact, AT3 came out on the same day as Resonance of Fate (!), and Totori was just half a year ago and around the same time WKC2 was released.

Then it is attributed to the fact that Rorona hit at a time where people were starved for RPGs, and they liked it enough to stick around for future games by the same developer. A game being more popular than it would normally be because of market trends and conditions can also eventually end up having a positive impact on other games of that sort if it is not poorly received!

Bebpo

Banned
icecream said:
If IU wasn't an exclusive and in some parallel universe it was multiplatform, I certainly would expect it to do very similar numbers to what it has now. All the PS3 really does is cannibalize 360 sales when titles are multiplatform. The question is whether that model is profitable for companies to sustain.

You think RoF would have still done 223k sales if it was only on X360? That would make it the highest selling game on the platform iirc. Somehow I don't think that would be the case.

PS3 definitely has a much larger rpg fanbase than X360. I think IU would have done a lot closer to RoF numbers if it had been on both, although yeah the X360 numbers would have been down as a result.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Durante said:
Hint: The PS3 is still starved for JRPGs, just not as badly as in the early years.

If this was the the PS2, and those games came out in the midst of everyone else, they would have performed very similar to their predecessors.

This is not to discount their better overall sales, but they're still pedaling to the same limited niche crowd they sought last generation. It just happens that when there are only scraps on the table, even the plainest morsel can seem like a turkey dinner.

Bebpo said:
You think RoF would have still done 223k sales if it was only on X360? That would make it the highest selling game on the platform iirc.
If RoF was exclusive, it would have done significantly less, because the day that players owned a 360 to play its JRPGs are long gone. What I mean is that most of those sales for IU on the 360 back then are likely players who have migrated to the PS3 now. If IU was a title that was released multiplatform next week, you would most likely see similar numbers that it did back then when it was a 360 exclusive in the height of its JRPG rush. Of course, it would be higher to account for the exclusively PS3 users, but I wouldn't expect it to sell that much more than it did.

Durante

icecream said:
Hint: The PS3 is still starved for JRPGs, just not as badly as in the early years.
If that was all there is to it then how do you explain Gust's titles going up in sales throughout the gen while IF's (including Compile Heart) are on a downwards trend? The latter's trend is exactly what I would expect if it is just a "starvation" scenario: The first game doing best and successive games decreasing in sales as the available pool of titles increases (this clearly happened for e.g. Agarest1->2 and xEdge->TriU).

I think duckroll's explanation makes more sense for the Gust situation.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Durante said:
Oh, and Trinity Universe came out around AT3 and didn't even do 1/4 of its numbers, so I fail to see the "similar effect" on Idea Factory games.
Well, besides the fact that Ideaf games are in general of lower quality in both presentation and gameplay (at least Gust knows the importance of presentation), it could just be that people caught on to them. Not to mention their habit of porting games back and forth probably affected the sales on the initial console they release on. But it's still not mistaken to say that in the beginning Ideaf games sold much better than was deserved.

Durante said:
If that was all there is to it then how do you explain Gust's titles going up in sales throughout the gen.
But they didn't. If you want to include AT3, Totori did less, so they're actually on a downward trend at the moment.

Azelover said:
Ever since Nintendo stopped dominating these charts, they've been quite boring. I'll never forget 2005/2006 when the DS owned everything after all that naysaying. Good times.
Don't worry,the Nintendo 3DS will be ridiculously successful.

Bebpo said:
Otoh the Disgaea games barely do 100k.
Please,slow down.The PS3 is making progress,so there is still hope.

Andriasang: Nippon Ichi Stock Surges on High Disgaea Hopes
On February 3, Nippon Ichi's stock price was ¥37,500. By February 9, the price had climbed to ¥65,000.What's up? According to Keizai News, the surge is due to high expectations for Disgaea 4, which hits PS3 on February 24.

Due in part to the greatly expanded PS3 userbase, investors apparently believe Disgaea 4 will sell more than twice as many units as Disgaea 3. Such high sales would, of course, translate to high profits.

Disgaea 3 sold somewhere around the 100,000 mark, so to sell double Disgaea 4 would have to sell 200,000 units. This would make it the top selling Disgaea game ever -- even more than the 150,000 or so of PlayStation 2's Disgaea 2.

Code:
Media Create Sales 

Disgaea 3 (1st Week)      PS3 cumulative hardware sales        
      55,000                       1,8 million              

Disgaea 4 (1st Week)      PS3 cumulative hardware sales        
        ?                          6,3 million
Time will tell.

icecream said:
But it's still not mistaken to say that in the beginning Ideaf games sold much better than was deserved.

What I mean is that most of those sales for IU on the 360 back then are likely players who have migrated to the PS3 now. If IU was a title that was released multiplatform next week, you would most likely see similar numbers that it did back then when it was a 360 exclusive in the height of its JRPG rush. Of course, it would be higher to account for the exclusively PS3 users, but I wouldn't expect it to sell that much more than it did.

How does Vespia fit into your explanation? 360k on PS3 around 210k on 360, You think a big amount of that 210 re-brought it?(knowing tales fans, I wouldn't be surprised.....)

I think everybody agrees with you about the Ideaf games selling more then they deserved.

m.i.s.

Banned
Meier said:

Not that I disagree necessarily about the redesign but anyone who's seen a teardown of the Wii will vouch that there is absolutely no scope AT ALL for a reduction in size or thickness.

The only thing they could do is remove the GCN controller and memory card sockets but then they'd have to support classic controller support and game saves through a firmware emulation layer.

The other option is to remove GCN hardware backward compatibility altogether and have GCN downloads in the Wii Virtual Console shop. This would necessitate a firmware update with games booting directly off the SD Card (as 3DS does). However, that would leave the prospect of games that are hundreds of Megabytes and many even of a Gigabyte and over in size. That's a huge disparity with pre-GCN games that are just a few KB to MB in size.

Far easier and less time consuming to just go for a different colour. :eek:)

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
How does Vespia fit into your explanation? 360k on PS3 around 210k on 360, You think a big amount of that 210 re-brought it?(knowing tales fans, I wouldn't be surprised.....)

I think everybody agrees with you about the Ideaf games selling more then they deserved.

I think one big factor in the PS3 Tales games is that they have been "lucky" so to speak in that both games they ported to the PS3 were very well received games on platforms with a limited RPG audience. As such, by the time the games hit the PS3, they were eagerly anticipated as actually solid titles coming to the PS3.

Without that factor in place, it'll be interesting to see how ToX performs, since the quality is unknown.

cvxfreak said:
Taking out GC BC makes the most sense. They did it with the GBA on the DSi.
don't a couple of Wii games have accessories that need the gc ports? Having said that though a few ds games needed the gba slot

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Opportunity cost.

They could make a grab for that money, but it would mean teaching people that if they wait long enough, that games will go down in price. This compromises their ability to sell you another $50 piece of software later on (or even instead of the software you were considering). You'll just wait a little while and get it for cheaper. Maybe they worked out that selling software at full price nets them higher profits than going after the cut-price market.

Iwata talked about this during an interview around the beginning of the gen.

But not selling them at Greatest Hits pricing doesn't teach them to buy early, it teaches them to buy used.

Stumpokapow said:
But not selling them at Greatest Hits pricing doesn't teach them to buy early, it teaches them to buy used.

Strangly Nintendo evergreen titles used prices normally don't go down to ridiculously low amounts like every other game. Random guess by me, is due to the fact you have so many of these games sold at big electronics stores, it's familys/ parents buying them making them less liking to end up in the used channel.

Mael

Stumpokapow said:

That's when you find them used....
Good luck finding Mario Kart used.... worse still the value of such games are usually higher used than the value priced line.

What I mean is that in the mind of the average buyer, even used the games are actually costly.

PS: I'm not speaking for the Japanese market right here, I mean there could be plenty of NSMBW used in Japan that I don't know of

Datschge

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
it's familys/ parents buying them making them less liking to end up in the used channel.
That and evergreen games respectively big parts of their audience don't necessarily play the game through at once and then sell it off but they get played irregularly again and again, play it on parties and family events or lend it to relatives and friends. Hm, makes me wonder if there ever was a survey tracking down what different kinds of audiences do with the games as I'm sure the results will be insightful.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Meier said:

It is incredibly strange what has happened, especially in Japan. Its basically a dead system except for major holidays. Its been like that since post NSMB Wii and will continue through 2012 or whenever the next system is released. Such a steep steep fall from its 2007 highs.

I'm running out of facepalms for PSP situation.

Btw, latest top30 from famitsu is up and The Last Story sellthrough is at 51-75% in its launch week, that means it sold 110k out of a shipment from 145k to 215k.

cvxfreak

I forgot to take a picture of the stack of dozen Last Story hardware bundles.

Where did this sold out ridiculousness come from? Honestly.

MHP3 was sold out. PSP hardware is sold out. Last Story? ...not even close.

ccbfan

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

LOL no wonder people are importing U.S PSP and selling them.

Trade in price alone is worth $183.73 using current exchange rates.

Are those trade in credits or cash? A PSP 3000 cost $129.99 used at GS and that's with no deals. If I was heading to Japan I'd probably buy 10 PSP and trade them all in. That 500+ dollar extra spending money would be great.

Datschge

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
No, that makes no sense because it costs them no money to have that in because Wii and GCN run on the same architecture.
We don't know how much the 4 GC controller ports, the 2 GC memory card slots and the modification of the slot-in drive to allow GC sized disks cost though.

Spiegel

cvxfreak said:
I forgot to take a picture of the stack of dozen Last Story hardware bundles.

I'm sorry, I trust Nuclear Muffin better.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Don't see why anyone is surprised about The Last Story's numbers. It was sold out across the country and the 2nd shipment hasn't arrived yet.

How do you sell extra copies that don't exist? All it indicates is that Nintendo should've printed more copies in time for launch.

He must be an insider. He knew Nintendo had not shipped more copies.

Rolf NB

cvxfreak said:
Taking out GC BC makes the most sense. They did it with the GBA on the DSi.
They will do that on a proper Wii successor (=spec bump, new controller), not on a "slim" redesign.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Parmenides said:
Andriasang: Nippon Ichi Stock Surges on High Disgaea Hopes

On February 3, Nippon Ichi's stock price was ¥37,500. By February 9, the price had climbed to ¥65,000.What's up? According to Keizai News, the surge is due to high expectations for Disgaea 4, which hits PS3 on February 24.

Due in part to the greatly expanded PS3 userbase, investors apparently believe Disgaea 4 will sell more than twice as many units as Disgaea 3. Such high sales would, of course, translate to high profits.

Disgaea 3 sold somewhere around the 100,000 mark, so to sell double Disgaea 4 would have to sell 200,000 units. This would make it the top selling Disgaea game ever -- even more than the 150,000 or so of PlayStation 2's Disgaea 2.
I guess when Disgaea 4 doesn't sell 200k stock will plummet?

Durante said:
Wouldn't be too bad, 90k is close to Disgaea 3's LTD.
I'm very late again but Disgaea 3 had shipped 80k at first week.

cvxfreak said:

Heh, the sales site that shall not be named posted a news story saying that was the case(of course, part of the reason they shouldn't be name: they used their own interpretation of one of my random posts as the source)

Having said that! More random info to confuse people:

Since people post about the 2 shops in their towns: looking over 11 different retailer blogs plus the 3 stores in my area, Tales seems to be doing rather well, at the very least living up to expectations. Samurai Warriors 3 Z seems to be above exceptions, (the Wii version a bit below but everyone has hopes pinned on the long weekend)

Students of the Round Table - Company president reports respectable/passable start for sales(but admits they didn't produce too many), Sold out on amazon, many stores, next shipment on the 12th.

Also for Samurai Warriors 3 Z, apparently everything that was at the makers got sold, so no new orders are able to made till the 2nd shipment, amazon agrees with this placing the next shipment on the 13th(Again this does not mean it's sold out at the consumer level!)

Top Bottom