• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 05, 2011 (Jan 31 - Feb 6)

donny2112

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This would take a ton of data work to prove, but Donny what do you say for idea that this generation Nintendo has taken to the belief that spending money on more commercials-extremly long drawn out ad campaigns, even so much as to commercials more then a year after the game is released-(mario-kart) rather then reducing the price is more effective tactic.

It's definitely worked with Mario Kart. Pretty sure we've seen rises to its sales with new ads in the Japan off and on. But at a cost of a budget line of games for series that they've stopped advertising? I think Nintendo used to advertise a bit with the games in their Player's Choice lineup in the U.S. before, but I may be misremembering.

Nintendo may be trying that tactic, but if they're applying it carte blanche to all series equally, then I don't think it's a sound tactic, at all. Mario Kart has become a once-a-generation game. No console has had two (unless you count VC/BC). Therefore, keeping it priced high throughout the generation makes sense. More content-driven games (i.e. "core" game, e.g. Mario Galaxy, Zelda) that also are usually single-player and often get some form of sequels on the same console would likely benefit much more from the Player's Choice price drop tier. Twilight Princess dropping to $30 when Skyward Sword comes out. Mario Galaxy at $30 around Mario Galaxy 2's launch. If the buyer likes the game they got for a lower price, they may be willing to go to the higher price for the sequel sooner rather than wait for a possible drop later.

On a Wii-ecosystem note, it's been discussed before that there is a tier of buyers that buy late and buy cheap. Those buyers are thus stuck with mostly third-party games in their price range, and it probably doesn't do Nintendo any good for those customers to have their opinion of Wii games formed by the typical third-party game on the shelf. It could be argued that those consumers probably also don't care a great deal about the depths of quality that traditional gamers would care about, though, so that may be a wash. There's also a question of how would a consumer know the type of game that would eventually drop in price (e.g. single player, content games) from the type that wouldn't (e.g. once-a-generation games). There could be confusion resulting in waiting for a price drop on a game that isn't going to get one.

In short to your question, I think Nintendo might have done long-term advertising in previous generations, but if so, they've also coupled it with a PC line. Therefore, it could be another experiment where they're trying long-term ads without a PC line. However, the games that don't continue selling and don't get the long-term ads end up with the short stick this generation. On an "interesting" note, though, we can see if that ends up affecting the eventual next-generation sequels in any appreciable manner.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Estimated sales from azalyn

[PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.10} > 200.000
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.10} - 180.000
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (SCE) {2011.02.10} - comparable to LittleBigPlanet

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 07, 2011 (Feb 7 - Feb 13)

01. / 00. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.10}
02. / 00. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.10}
03. / 04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01}
04. / 01. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (Capcom) {2011.02.03}
05. / 00. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (SCE) {2011.02.10}
06. / 00. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.10}
07. / 00. [PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Take-Two Interactive) {2011.02.10}
08. / 06. [PSP] Kenka Bancho 5: Laws of Manhood (Spike) {2011.01.27}
09. / 03. [PSP] White Knight Chronicles Episode Portable: Dogma Wars (SCE) {2011.02.03}
10. / 09. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09}

Well, with 5 new high-profile-ish titles, it was unlikely TLS would hold in the top ten for a third week. Will be interesting to see the drop-off from week 2, but I'm not hopeful.

faridmon

Tiktaalik said:
10. / 03. [PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Portable (Bandai Namco) {2011.01.27} - 11.721 / 100.214 (-87%)

Is this game as creepy as the title makes it sound?
The Anime is quiet good actually. Would reccomend it.

Funny bit about Tales is that by MC its the best debut since Destiny PS2 in 2006, but just barely (Vesperia PS3, Graces f PS3 and Radiant Mythology 2 PSP did 212-216k).

Road

I don't even want to look at the prediction results. haha

I just couldn't accept it would have the best "Musou" opening for a PS3 yet (aside from Hokuto). I should have trusted the "power of PS3 late ports".

SamBishop

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Media Create numbers:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20110216049/

Radiant Mythology 3 - 222k
Sengoku Musou 3 Z - 209k
MHP 3rd - 93k (4250k)
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 25k
Sengoku Musou 3 Mushouden - 23k

PSP - 107k

We are living in Bizarro World, and it's amazing. Even just a year or two ago, if someone had showed people that pie chart there, they would have been laughed out of the thread. Now, it's pretty much the norm. I realize it's a temporary blip on the way to a massive spike that will see the 3DS slamming everything in a few weeks, but it's still absolutely crazy to see things so heavily Sony-tipped so far this year.

The PSP really is a success in Japan. No caveats or qualifiers, it's doing very, very well -- and it's like six years old now. I know I don't participate in these threads often, but I had to express my absolute fascination with how the Japanese market operates. It's truly amazing.

Spiegel

MHP3 is just ridiculous.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Funny bit about Tales is that by MC its the best debut since Destiny PS2 in 2006, but just barely (Vesperia PS3, Graces f PS3 and Radiant Mythology 2 PSP did 212-216k).

And TotW:RM3 is the most expensive Tales game released on PSP (6279Y).
For comparison RM2 was 5200Y

SamBishop

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Not so crazy since Nintendo hasn't released anything(of value?) this year.

Contrast the hardware sales with the rest of the world, though. It's completely flipped around, particularly here in the States. I absolutely understand the why of it in Japan, but that doesn't stop me from being rather amazed by the whole situation given how long the PSP has been out.

Let it never be said that one game can't move hardware, because... dayom.

farnham

Banned
if the trend that the japanese market represents the future of the world market continues nintendo will have a very hard time in the next few years. maybe even worse then the GBA, GC days.

gerg

farnham said:
if the trend that the japanese market represents the future of the world market continues nintendo will have a very hard time in the next few years. maybe even worse then the GBA, GC days.

If the "trend" that the Japanese market predicts the foreign market remains true then the 3DS will handily outsell the NGP for a period of five years, while the latter experiences a resurgence when the former is replaced by another console.

Iwata better rethink his plans for a second pool made of gold, then.

gerg said:
If the "trend" that the Japanese market predicts the foreign market remains true then the 3DS will handily outsell the NGP for a period of five years, while the latter experiences a resurgence when the former is replaced by another console.

Iwata better rethink his plans for a second pool made of gold, then.

Just curious if you're having this assumption because the DS handedly outsold the PSP or because the 3DS pre orders have sold out in Japan long ago? Or maybe there's a new research I haven't heard where the Japanese have expressed that they don't want the NGP.

gerg

AranhaHunter said:
Just curious if you're having this assumption because the DS handedly outsold the PSP or because the 3DS pre orders have sold out in Japan long ago? Or maybe there's a new research I haven't heard where the Japanese have expressed that they don't want the NGP.

farnham suggested that, if Japanese trends continue, Nintendo will have a difficult time in the future owing to the resurgence of the PSP. I then pointed out that, actually, the trend is for five years (give or take) of Nintendo dominance with sales slowing down only when a successor is being released.

Top Bottom