• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 06, 2011 (Feb 7 - Feb 13)

KingDizzi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Titles like MHP, God Eater and Phantasy Star Portable, as well as Birth by Sleep and Peace Walker have one thing in common: they weren't possible to make on the DS in the form they eventually were released to. That doesn't apply with the next generation handheld war. The 3DS can certainly host competent renditions of MHP, GE and PSP, and is already receiving real entries in the MGS, KH and RE series that look and play well. Unless Japanese publishers decide that their future handheld games must sport HD visuals and the advanced gameplay engines that go with them (an idea I find flawed for many reasons), then there's nothing stopping the 3DS from gaining those crucial third party franchises that made the PSP a success. Meanwhile, Sony still won't have Mario and Pokemon, the two biggest handheld franchises ever, and if SE continues the tradition with DQ, then DQXI goes to 3DS as well.

Yep. Monster Hunter is totally coming to 3DS and I'm 99% expecting all mainline FF and DQ titles releasing on handhelds from now on. Graphically we've not seen much of the NGP but there seems to be a biggish gap between the 3DS and NGP but not of the DS-PSP kind. It's why I also expect something else to become very common with the new generation of handhelds, multi-plat games. Make the game for 3DS, spruce it up a bit and release on both handhelds. What remains to be seen is how games like MH are handled from a business stand point, MH releasing on 3DS makes financial sense however for obvious reasons Sony will not want that to happen. MH is surely in the top 5 biggest 3rd party sellers of all time in Japan? Sony will want to make sure they have that firepower all to themselves when the NGP releases.

It's not all just about money though, some developers just don't give a fuck. Kojima sees 3DS and says "stick a remake on there" yet sees the NGP and he's making a new game for the system. TBH is by the end of the year we don't have the usual MGS, FF, KH etc announced for the NGP I will be shocked for sure. It's already obvious what games companies will be offering for the NGP come release, immediately MvC3 comes to mind and also the RE game not releasing immediately on 3DS, that will go on NGP as well.

Mario and Pokemon ensure that Nintendo will always be top dog, just remains to be seen how big the gap will be between the 3DS and NGP. Of course there will be a new phenomenon next generation, always happens. Could be a current mid tier franchise which suddenly explodes such as MH did or something completely new, will be interesting to see none the less.

Jonnyram

KingDizzi said:
Graphically we've not seen much of the NGP but there seems to be a biggish gap between the 3DS and NGP but not of the DS-PSP kind.
Apparently you've not seen much of the 3DS either, if that's what you think.

spwolf

Smiles and Cries said:
the wildcard for the NGP is the hackers with Sony being lawsuit happy lately some might take that as a challenge to really open the NGP wide

it may help sales but hurt software support

yeah very interesting stuff ahead this year

wtf... as supposed hackers leaving psp alone in the past? the psp?

Naruto

duckroll said:
I wonder if the PSP will have a LTD of > 20 million when all is said and done. It'll probably be pretty close even if it doesn't. The PSP might have been a total failure by this point outside of Japan, but coming so close to the PS2 LTD in Japan is a pretty solid achievement for this territory. Especially when the DS did so much better, and is the main competitor. The PSP might be the best second place system in Japan ever.

It just goes to show you how huge the portable market has become in Japan.

About MH3P. I'll make a prediction that by the end of the year it will surpass Pokemon's LTD.

gerg

Jonnyram said:

While I'd agree with this, I'd also say that the difference between the two isn't as important as the difference between the DS and the PSP - although the gap may be bigger, the capabilities of the 3DS are good enough in order to create the cinematic feel of games like FF, MH and MGS. So, the gap may have gotten bigger, but, simultaneously, it has become less important.

antonz

gerg said:
While I'd agree with this, I'd also say that the difference between the two isn't as important as the difference between the DS and the PSP - although the gap may be bigger, the capabilities of the 3DS are good enough in order to create the cinematic feel of games like FF, MH and MGS. So, the gap may have gotten bigger, but, simultaneously, it has become less important.

I think it is safe to say system power gap has grown but the visual gap shrunk.

apana

On hardware side I dont think PSP2 is gonna do all that great compared to 3DS. Also the Last Story seems to have done very poorly considering the publicity Nintendo gave it.

KingDizzi

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Looked at a few videos to refresh my memory and I was wrong, the gap is actually quite big. Still see a lot of lazy ports from the 3DS to NGP happening, here's hoping for the ports I really want which is from consoles to NGP.

Naruto said:
It just goes to show you how huge the portable market has become in Japan.

About MH3P. I'll make a prediction that by the end of the year it will surpass Pokemon's LTD.

Ballsy prediction there buddy, don't see it happening myself but entertaining such thoughts without looking retarded really does show how quickly MH has exploded, it's one of the big boys now. Way past FF at this point, closing in on and dare I say passing DQ too soon (if not already?) There was discussion on whether people would buy MHP3 straight away or wait for the budget versions which is where MHP2 sold alot of its copies, that has been answered in spades.

jeremy1456

KingDizzi said:
Ballsy prediction there buddy, don't see it happening myself but entertaining such thoughts without looking retarded really does show how quickly MH has exploded, it's one of the big boys now. Way past FF at this point, closing in on and dare I say passing DQ too soon (if not already?) There was discussion on whether people would buy MHP3 straight away or wait for the budget versions which is where MHP2 sold alot of its copies, that has been answered in spades.

I do believe MHP3 has passed Dragon Quest IX in sales.

jman2050

Naruto said:

It's extremely unlikely to do that even if we don't take into account the inevitable third version.

Baki

Smiles and Cries said:
why did you guys say 6 months for NGP? wiki says Holiday 2011

That's my mistake. November 2011 seems to be the launch date (for EU?). That said, it is also possible that SCE is prepping a September launch date in Japan. Technically September is considered to be part of "holiday 2011".

Smiles and Cries said:
3DS shipment for Japan this fiscal year (through March 31)
- 1.5 million

I wonder if these numbers can change with a little more push and less people sneaking things from the production lines lol

+200,000 would be nice but if they already set the fiscal year data can they change it last minute? March 31st is not that far away though

I would be nice if every dev would just get on Twitter every week and brag about the sales not counted

We always hear about Amazon or TRU not being counted. It would be great to have true numbers for a change even the smaller games would be nice to have instead of just vague estimates for the top 10

Wow, 1.5M in a month. Thats quite the production capacity that Nintendo has. Maybe 3m by November is plausible.

Jonnyram said:
Isn't the main attraction that developers can basically make a PS3/360 title (which would still sell in the West), and port it to the NGP with little effort? Since portables are the big thing in Japan, I'd assume that the NGP will be more popular than PS3, given the same lineup.

Also, it seems Sony is involving developers directly in the design of NGP, which is a pretty big step. Blogs yesterday indicated a lot of PlayStation love in Japan's third parties.

That was what I was thinking and mentioned earlier on in the thread.

Acosta

So every franchise worth a damn is going to 3DS, right? Someone should tell Sony to stop bothering.

Let me draw an scenario: Capcom releases Monster Hunter 4, and it does it for PS3, 360 and NGP (which could be done without problems). Doesn't that look better for worldwide sales than a single 3DS release that couldn't be ported to those systems without a significant effort? Do you think that is completely impossible?

While I don't disagree on 3DS being in a excellent position to become the leading force in Japan, I never make assumptions on new hardware based on the performance of the last system, I learnt that lesson with Nintendo 64.

In other news, I really hope Disgaea 4 does well (don't laugh duckroll.)

Takao

Banned
Acosta said:
Let me draw an scenario: Capcom releases Monster Hunter 4, and it does it for PS3, 360 and NGP (which could be done without problems). Doesn't that look better for worldwide sales than a single 3DS release that couldn't be ported to those systems without a significant effort? Do you think that is completely impossible?

I mentioned the NGP/PS3/360 environment for Monster Hunter would be beneficially in previous MC threads (as it would finally allow the brand to get a foothold in the west), but a common idea I've picked up is that people feel Wii/3DS is enough when they already have so many assets from the PSP to reuse.

Baki said:
That's my mistake. November 2011 seems to be the launch date (for EU?). That said, it is also possible that SCE is prepping a September launch date in Japan. Technically September is considered to be part of "holiday 2011".

Wow, 1.5M in a month. Thats quite the production capacity that Nintendo has. Maybe 3m by November is plausible.

That was what I was thinking and mentioned earlier on in the thread.

I don't think its that impressive since they have been building them for a few months now maybe even longer to prep for Japan EU AUS and Americas

Ratrat

Takao said:
I mentioned the NGP/PS3/360 environment for Monster Hunter would be beneficially in previous MC threads (as it would finally allow the brand to get a foothold in the west), but a common idea I've picked up is that people feel Wii/3DS is enough when they already have so many assets from the PSP to reuse.
4 million and now copies of MHP2nd are completely worthless. Considering what G did on the Wii its obvious people only want the latest MH games. I don't understand why people think psp to 3ds ports would be profitable at all.

antonz

Takao said:
The Monster Hunter Brand in the west just had its most successful release on the Wii. I don't see the argument that making it on the 360/PS3/NGP is going to make it any more successful. The franchise in general is just not very western oriented.

It would make more sense to MT Mobile it and have a 3DS/NGP game. They deliberately killed the PS3 Monster Hunter for a reason and it is cost. That cost hasn't changed.

Takao

Banned
I do have to say this though, it's currently 4AM EST. I haven't slept in a day, so pardon things I post not making sense, and my spelling and grammar going to hell, but I'm going to catch some sleep now.

antonz said:
The Monster Hunter Brand in the west just had its most successful release on the Wii. I don't see the argument that making it on the 360/PS3/NGP is going to make it any more successful. The franchise in general is just not very western oriented.

It would make more sense to MT Mobile it and have a 3DS/NGP game. They deliberately killed the PS3 Monster Hunter for a reason and it is cost. That cost hasn't changed.

I'd argue a 3DS/NGP multiplatform release could actually hurt the series. It's a franchise built on local multiplayer on handhelds. Splitting the userbase on the two platforms means not everyone is going to be able to play together, which is the appeal.

Part of me really thinks the 3DS will be the home to the cutsey Ailu Village style MH, where as NGP gets the traditional.

antonz said:

would MT Mobile not be considered an insult to the NGP's power? :p

Smiles and Cries said:
would MT Mobile not be considered an insult to the NGP's power? :p

No, they're already using MT Mobile for Lost Planet NGP. It's a very capable engine from what we've seen, on both the 3DS and NGP.

Really, the gap in power/visuals between the two handhelds is not as large as you think. It's more like PS2-Xbox than DS-PSP.

4 million and now copies of MHP2nd are completely worthless. Considering what G did on the Wii its obvious people only want the latest MH games. I don't understand why people think psp to 3ds ports would be profitable at all.

Such ports would be incredibly easy and would cost next to nothing. It's a good way of building up a fanbase on a new machine.

Jonnyram

antonz said:
There is subtle contradiction in this post. You're essentially saying, the series will work on a console in the West (as Wii was the most successful entry), but not on PS3/360? Hmm.

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
No, they're already using MT Mobile for Lost Planet NGP. It's a very capable engine from what we've seen, on both the 3DS and NGP.

Really, the gap in power/visuals between the two handhelds is not as large as you think. It's more like PS2-Xbox than DS-PSP.

The gap between DS to PSP is similar to PS1-PS2. The gap between 3DS-PSP2 is similar to PS2-Xbox360. There is still a huge gap in actual power and visuals, it's just less drastic because the DS was barely able to process any advanced 3D.

duckroll said:
The gap between DS to PSP is similar to PS1-PS2. The gap between 3DS-PSP2 is similar to PS2-Xbox360. There is still a huge gap in actual power and visuals, it's just less drastic because the DS was barely able to process any advanced 3D.

3DS is comfortably above PS2 though. More like GCN with shaders and other modern effects like HDR and per object motion blur.

Those effects are what really define "next gen" visuals for the most part and the 3DS is capable of them. I think you're underselling the 3DS' visuals. Plus there's the effect of diminishing returns as well.

There's a large gap no doubt, but it's not the huge gulf it was before. Multiplatform games are much more viable this time around.

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
3DS is comfortably above PS2 though. More like GCN with shaders and other modern effects like HDR and per object motion blur.

Those effects are what really define "next gen" visuals for the most part and the 3DS is capable of them. I think you're underselling the 3DS' visuals. Plus there's the effect of diminishing returns as well.

The 3DS supports modern graphical effects, yes. But in terms of actual power, it's very much still in the PSP/PS2/GC/Xbox class. The PSP2 is a completely different beast.

Nuclear Muffin said:
There's a large gap no doubt, but it's not the huge gulf it was before. Multiplatform games are much more viable this time around.

Japan has other plans: http://www.cs.furyu.jp/ubr/index.html

For the first 2 years at least, I expect 3DS/PSP games to be the standard. Not 3DS/PSP2 games.

duckroll said:
The 3DS supports modern graphical effects, yes. But in terms of actual power, it's very much still in the PSP/PS2/GC/Xbox class. The PSP2 is a completely different beast.

For the first 2 years at least, I expect 3DS/PSP games to be the standard. Not 3DS/PSP2 games.

Oh of course, I'm speaking relative to other power gaps, not in terms of the actual real power gap.

Some people seem to be of the mindset that the gap is just as large as with the DS-PSP, when in truth the gap in visuals/power is much smaller this time around.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of PSP-3DS ports (in fact, I'm surprised that we haven't really seen many yet!) but I also think that there will be a lot more multiplatform handheld games than there were last generation, later on down the line, as the handhelds are much more comparable in terms of power/graphics and interface.

Don't forget, its not just about the power difference either. Budgetary concerns will also have a knock on effect, encouraging developers to not go for bleeding edge visuals with all their NGP games. Making your game multiplatform also gives devs a good reason to target 3DS level visuals and keep costs down.

cvxfreak

I predict that PSP versions of multiplatform handheld games will outsell their 3DS counterparts for the first few years.

duckroll

I just noticed something that needs replying to...

KingDizzi said:
It's not all just about money though, some developers just don't give a fuck. Kojima sees 3DS and says "stick a remake on there" yet sees the NGP and he's making a new game for the system.

How is this in any way true or accurate at all. Kojima saw the 3DS, and he decided to put a remake of the best MGS ever on it. He even personally directed a tech demo with the Peace Walker team. That was his commitment to show off the hardware.

At the presentation for the PSP2, Kojima showed of a direct port of a MGS4 cutscene. He did not announce any game, nor did he even hint that he was interested in making an original game for the system. Instead he says that since porting from the PS3 is so easy, he's considering porting his current console project onto the system as well so people can play it on the go.

mclem

Onion_Relish said:
107 psp go's

wow

is that the record low for the device? I cant imagine a situation in which you could sell barely more than 100 units in a week.

I'm sure Microsoft can.

cvxfreak said:
I predict that PSP versions of multiplatform handheld games will outsell their 3DS counterparts for the first few years.

Difference in install base? A dedicated and active "core" Japanese audience on the PSP? Or something else?

Forgot it yesterday! Congratulations to Kurosaki Ichigo on the ranking by units and Spiegel in the ranking by points/percentages.
Code:
Results	By Units			By Points	
1	 68000	Kurosaki Ichigo		117,69%	Spiegel
2	 74000	duckroll		144,56%	FINALFANTASYDOG
3	 98000	Spiegel			148,17%	Kurosaki Ichigo
4	 99980	FINALFANTASYDOG		172,13%	Chris1964
5	106580	Chris1964		210,09%	duckroll
6	139000	Road			217,85%	Road
7	257000	ULTROS!			276,17%	ULTROS!
8	261000	Kenka			360,92%	Kenka

02/07-02/13	Sales	Chris	Kenka	ULTRO	Road	duckr	Spieg	Kuro	FINAL
PSP TOW RM3	222000	210987	171000	200000	199000	230000	212000	217000	194342
WII SMusou3 XL	23000	45678	78000	40000	55000	50000	35000	42000	33343
PS3 SMusou3 Z	209000	145678	61000	16000	133000	190000	140000	177000	163343
PS3 LittleBigP2	25000	34567	18000	50000	33000	45000	32000	37000	41322

Difference	0	106580	261000	257000	139000	74000	98000	68000	99980									
Difference (%)	0,00%	172,13%	360,92%	276,17%	217,85%	210,09%	117,69%	148,17%	144,56%

PSP TOW RM3	0	-11013	-51000	-22000	-23000	8000	-10000	-5000	-27658
WII SMusou3 XL	0	22678	55000	17000	32000	27000	12000	19000	10343
PS3 SMusou3 Z	0	-63322	-148000	-193000	-76000	-19000	-69000	-32000	-45657
PS3 LittleBigP2	0	9567	-7000	25000	8000	20000	7000	12000	16322
Past Predictions Results:
01/31-02/06 Predictions Results
01/24-01/30 Predictions Results
12/20-12/26 Predictions Results
Prediction League Results 2009-2010

Smiles and Cries said:
I am not really sure 6 months is enough for a 3DS victory
Pokemon,Super Mario,Mario Kart,Animal Crossing,Nintendogs+Cats, Professor Layton…

Compelling software will drive hardware sales:the 3DS will be a pretty big hit.

Baki said:
By the time the PSP2 comes out in Japan, I suspect that the 3DS will have close to ~1M ahead in Japan
The 3DS will sell one million hardware units in its first month.

Sage00 said:
We, at this stage, know next to nothing about how the handheld battle will pan out because we don't have a clue what type of software is in development for NGP.
- Nintendo's games will drive sales;3DS will be successful
- Third party PS3 sales will obliterate 3DS/NGP′s
- The quality and investment of games for 3DS and NGP is of a different scale to games on DS and PSP
- Publishers and developers will act accordingly; the handheld market will shrink.

Jonnyram said:
Isn't the main attraction that developers can basically make a PS3/360 title (which would still sell in the West), and port it to the NGP with little effort? Since portables are the big thing in Japan, I'd assume that the NGP will be more popular than PS3, given the same lineup
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28} - 7.379 / 442.500

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18} - 7.575 / 170.477

Sage00 said:
The main problem I see for Sony is that it will be much less costly for Capcom to scale MHP up (or MHTri down) to 3DS level than to NGP level.
KingDizzi said:
Yep. Monster Hunter is totally coming to 3DS
There is a split between console and handheld games,but

Gamesradar:Making a PS3 port for the NGP will be "simple and quick"

cvxfreak said:
Unless Japanese publishers decide that their future handheld games must sport HD visuals and the advanced gameplay engines that go with them (an idea I find flawed for many reasons), then there's nothing stopping the 3DS from gaining those crucial third party franchises that made the PSP a success. .
1) PS3
2) PS360
3) PS360/NGP

KingDizzi said:
99% expecting all mainline FF and DQ titles releasing on handhelds from now on. .
-By the end of 2006,Japanese developers had flocked to DS/PSP.

MC%2B2006_thumb.jpg

-They had good reasons to be nervous about PS360 (Operating Expenses include Cost of Goods Sold,for the sake of simplicity)

-
EA_thumb.jpg

EA%2BII_thumb.jpg

- But it's definitely not 2006 anymore

MC%2B2011_thumb.jpg

- By this point, development costs are declining

- There is a PS3 price cut coming in the second half of the year. It's safe to say that the next price cut will impact the market dramatically in the long term.

MC%2BSlim%2BFat_thumb.jpg

07l.jpg

- As you can see,Catherine sales will fly way beyond expectations.

Andriasang: Atlus hopes to sell 150,000 units of Catherine.

- On February 3,Nippon Ichi's stock price was ¥37,500. By February 17, the price has climbed to ¥93,000.Looks like investors believe Disgaea 4 will sell extremely well.

Bloomberg:NIS Stock Price

-The 3DS will dominate hardware sales,but PS3 (or PS360/NGP) will dominate third party software sales from now on. Of course,PS3 software sales will eat alive 360/NGP´s.

duckroll said:

We've got this blueblaz continuum shift 2 and baseball spirits 2011, any others?

I'm curisous to see which system will be getting the best versions though.

Parmenides said:
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28} - 7.379 / 442.500

[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18} - 7.575 / 170.477

Wow, you took a bunch of different stats out of context, didn't tie them together and then made big sweeping conclusions, THIS IS GAF.

Edit: although I do want to thank you for attempting to get some conversation going, give me some time and if nobody else replies to you I'll get a better one.

cvxfreak said:
Those two are exactly it.

Mm. So, you think that the PSP will retain that advantage for that long? I could see multiplats - particularly those which are clearly just PSP titles quickly ported to the 3DS, like BlazBlue - performing better, at least for the first year or so, but I'd be surprised if that phenomenon persisted for several years.

Of course, we could end up seeing a kind of mirror of the 360/PS3 situation in terms of third-party support insofar as the ease of porting PSP games to the 3DS and the ability to "cushion" dev costs by selling on two platforms could guarantee continued support even if absolute sales numbers for particular titles are tipped in favour of the PSP.

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
We've got this blueblaz continuum shift 2 and baseball spirits 2011, any others?

I'm curisous to see which system will be getting the best versions though.

Considering the games we're looking at so far, I think "best version" is a laughable concept since these all seem to be pretty cheap cash-in games to begin with. Having said that, the PSP actually has the advantage when it comes to 3DS/PSP multiplatform games, because the base would have to be the PSP, which means it is unlikely the 3DS versions will use more advanced graphical effects. If that's the case, then the PSP will be the higher resolution version with the bigger screen. The games probably wouldn't be making fantastic use of the 3D effect either, or they would just be exclusive 3DS games.

What would be more interesting to watch for would be actual enhanced 3DS ports of some of the bigger PSP games. If there are any, those would likely have more effort than a simultaneous multiplatform title.

duckroll said:
Considering the games we're looking at so far, I think "best version" is a laughable concept since these all seem to be pretty cheap cash-in games to begin with. Having said that, the PSP actually has the advantage when it comes to 3DS/PSP multiplatform games, because the base would have to be the PSP, which means it is unlikely the 3DS versions will use more advanced graphical effects. If that's the case, then the PSP will be the higher resolution version with the bigger screen. The games probably wouldn't be making fantastic use of the 3D effect either, or they would just be exclusive 3DS games.

What would be more interesting to watch for would be actual enhanced 3DS ports of some of the bigger PSP games. If there are any, those would likely have more effort than a simultaneous multiplatform title.

it does not take much for devs to take a little pride in their work
If given the chance I can see them working hard to make it fit the hardware and use the 3D

after all they want both copies to sell might as well use the strengths of both platforms. Its not the same team working on both after all.

After games like RE:R and MGS3 come out pushing some visuals I hope they inspire devs not to be so lazy.

Road

jeremy1456 said:
I do believe MHP3 has passed Dragon Quest IX in sales.
DQIX is at 4,324,925 last we heard from Famitsu; 4,278,406, Media-Create; 4,275,000, Dengeki.

Not quite yet, but soon enough.

Parmenides said:
Pokemon,Super Mario,Mario Kart,Animal Crossing,Nintendogs+Cats, Professor Layton…

Compelling software will drive hardware sales:the 3DS will be a pretty big hit.

No doubt about it. The only question that remains is whether or not the 3DS can come anywhere the success of the DS. Really can't tell either way until we some more of nintendos biggest IP's

Parmenides said:
- Third party PS3 sales will obliterate 3DS/NGP′s

The PS3 isn't really selling that much software is it? I mean i know it's in front of the wii but that doesn't say much.

What makes you so confident that it will sell so much more 3rd party SW than the 3DS/NGP?

Parmenides said:
- The quality and investment of games for 3DS and NGP is of a different scale to games on DS and PSP
- Publishers and developers will act accordingly; the handheld market will shrink.

I'm not 100% sure about this but i would assume that making games on the 3DS will still cost a lot less than developing for the HD consoles.

I haven't seen any indication that devs/pubs intend to pull back their support to handhelds.

Parmenides said:
1) PS3
2) PS360
3) PS360/NGP

No doubt the HD consoles and NGP will see quality 3rd party support, but i don't think that will prevent 3rd parties supporting the 3DS.

Parmenides said:
- By this point, development costs are declining

This may be true but i still doubt that it will be anywhere near as cheap developing a 3DS game. In terms of development costs surely the 3DS still has the advantage.

Parmenides said:
There is a PS3 price cut coming in the second half of the year. It's safe to say that the next price cut will impact the market dramatically in the long term.

Do we know this for sure? If so how big will the price cut be?

Parmenides said:
-The 3DS will dominate hardware sales,but PS3 (or PS360/NGP) will dominate third party software sales from now on.

How do DS third party sales compare to PS3 third party sales (honest question i really don't know)?

I think the 3DS will be able to sell more 3rd party SW than the DS. I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you paint it.

Wahz

I really doubt MH will work great on 3DS, the major issue is that the analog nub location is opposite to that of PSP.

The famous crab hand control really not working with 3DS control layout, unless Crapcom change to stylus centric scheme, but that is not the MH we knew of.

Wahz said:
I really doubt MH will work great on 3DS, the major issue is that the analog nub location is opposite to that of PSP.

The famous crab hand control really not working with 3DS control layout, unless Crapcom change to stylus centric scheme, but that is not the MH we knew of.
Capcom released Monster Hunter 3 on Wii with all those great controls options, but people are still buying the "claw/crab version". And let me tell you, they are very happy with it.

Nintendo 3DS could offer a better control method than PSP, you have two screens, touch-screen, motion-sensor and etc. The only problem I see with the Nintendo 3DS and Monster Hunter is the size of the top-screen.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Professor Layton Crosses Eleven Million Shipments

The Professor Layton series has crossed the 11 million mark in worldwide shipments, Level-5 revealed today. The exact figure the publisher gave out is 11.47 million units, split across the four DS titles. This does not include shipments for 3DS launch title Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/17/layton_shipments/

We had a worldwide number through September and it was 9.5 million.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/31090/Layton_Series_Hits_95M_Ace_Attorney_39M.php

Busaiku

Chris1964 said:
Professor Layton Crosses Eleven Million Shipments

The Professor Layton series has crossed the 11 million mark in worldwide shipments, Level-5 revealed today. The exact figure the publisher gave out is 11.47 million units, split across the four DS titles. This does not include shipments for 3DS launch title Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/17/layton_shipments/

We had a worldwide number through September and it was 9.5 million.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/31090/Layton_Series_Hits_95M_Ace_Attorney_39M.php
And yet, we still aren't sure if we're getting The Specter's Flute or not.

Just to update everyone that doesn't have time to read them themselves:

Retailers are rather happy today(well the ones that didn't under order), everything seems to be selling rather well with many reports of temporary sale outs of MVC3 and Two worlds, (all three of the major releases, due to lack of supply, retailers have to wait for the weekend to get in another order beyond the initial shipment

Road

Dengeki Sales, Feb 07 - 13, 2011:

01. / 00. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) - 218,980 / 218,980
02. / 00. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (Bandai Namco) - 217,668 / 217,668
03. / 04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) - 100,644 / 4,321,188
04. / 01. [NDS] Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Capcom) - 34,229 / 162,766
05. / 00. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3: Moushouden (Koei Tecom) - 25,261 / 25,261
06. / 00. [PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Take-Two Interactive) - 24,881 / 24,881
07. / 00. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 (SCE) - 24,703 / 24,703
08. / 09. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - 16,489 / 822,333
09. / 06. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 5: Otoko no Housoku (Spike) - 13,800 / 102,083
10. / 03. [PSP] White Knight Chronicles Episode.Portable: Dogma Wars (SCE) - 11,544 / 50,724
11. / 07. [WII] The Last Story (Nintendo) - 10,435 / 142,278
12. / 15. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 9,097 / 1,751,789
13. / 12. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden (Bandai Namco) - 8,911 / 39,401
14. / 05. [PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami) - 8,911 / ?
15. / 02. [PSP] Macross Triangle Frontier (Bandai Namco) - 8,578 / 61,167
16. / 08. [PSP] Valkyria Chronicles III (SEGA) - 8,382 / 129,923
17. / 00. [360] Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Take-Two Interactive) - 8,192 / 8,192
18. / 19. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 8,032 / 2,294,434
19. / 17. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen! The Ogre (Level 5) - 7,339 / 400,810
20. / 16. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami) - 7,244 / ?

Other software (first week / LTD):
2009-01-29 [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Bandai Namco) - 217,000 / 351,000
2009-12-03 [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 112,000 / 291,000

Sell-through
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z ~80%
[PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 ~80%

1) PSP Monster Hunter Pack: ~70% of sales (~70k units). PSP still in shortage.

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |   YTD    |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
PSP      |    102,846 |     28,871 |  371,018 | 16,671,343
PS3      |     23,478 |     20,631 |  257,976 |  6,349,599
NDS      |     22,354 |     21,096 |  307,818 | 32,195,193
WII      |     14,188 |     13,347 |  216,872 | 11,490,999
360      |     	2,217 |      2,115 |   21,830 |  1,467,410
PS2      |     	1,278 |      1,287 |   11,014 | 	
------------------------------------------------------------
Total    |    166,361 |     87,347 |1,186,528 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/347/347033/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/589/589939/
http://research.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/066/66153/
http://megalodon.jp/2011-0218-1345-15/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 6 - 01-31 ~ 02-06
Week 5 - 01-24 ~ 01-30
Week 4 - 01-17 ~ 01-23
Week 3 - 01-10 ~ 01-16
Week 2 - 01-03 ~ 01-09

duckroll said:

I just had a crazy thought. How about 3DS ports to NGP where both screens are rotated 90 degrees and stacked in portrait mode? The total resolution of the NGP screen is actually higher than the two 3DS screens put together, and only very slightly physically smaller (about the same size as the lower screen). Because the buttons would be hard to hit in this orientation it might restrict such porting to stylus-only games, but still!

No dev/publisher will be insane enough to do this, but it'd be a hoot.

Top Bottom