• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 09, 2011 (Feb 28 - Mar 6)

Meier

Member
Jun 6, 2004
66,616
1
1,690
Austin, TX
www.last.fm
Matt said:
The system was so packed together already, they can't really make it smaller. What else would they change?
It doesn't even matter if they make it smaller (which I'm confident they could). DIFFERENT (AKA "NEW") is what sells.
 

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jun 18, 2004
23,394
3
1,575
www.borgh.us
cvxfreak said:
The software installed inside the 3DS is actually quite fun and I believe that they are selling just as many systems as the traditional software is. Together they effectively make the 3DS's equivalent of Wii Sports.
between included software, current DS lineup, etc... there is currently no must-have game for the DS, and no reason to buy one if nothing tickles your fancy.

I have my 3DS on pre-order with only SSFIV at the moment, and even that I am thinking about canceling. My biggest reason for grabbing it at launch TBH is because I specifically never bought the DSi BECAUSE I knew of the 3DS. I need some pokemon over WPA2 and DSiWare please. 3DS games? Eh... I haven't canceled SSFIV yet so we'll see. However going forward I have a feeling by around May or so 100% of the new DS titles being released will be licensed shovelware, flash-converted shovelware, or small publisher shovelware. My guess is come E3 the US 3DS holiday lineup is going to explode. Pretty awful time to be buying a DSi.
 

faridmon

Member
Dec 6, 2008
29,041
2
0
London
duckroll said:
Look guys, don't worry about Dissidia012. It's fine. 286k isn't that bad when we consider that it is being released in March, compared to Dissidia's December release. Dissidia's first week at the peak December period in 2008 was only 485k anyway. This game will have mad legs, and could sell over 2 million copies when all is said and done. It's really good, and once gamers hear about how awesome Laguna and Gilgamesh are, they'll probably rush out and buy it. Don't be surprised to see the game on the Top10 charts all the way to December. Square Enix has another solid winner.
I know you are joking, but considering that the assets is straight from the first game and they haven't added meaning ful to the game apart from fanservice, this ain't bad. it will do 500k and that would be good enough for them.

But again, this is SE we are talking about...
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
faridmon said:
I know you are joking, but considering that the assets is straight from the first game and they haven't added meaning ful to the game apart from fanservice, this ain't bad. it will do 500k and that would be good enough for them.
That's very optimistic.
 

Spiegel

Member
Feb 20, 2007
7,957
0
970
Spain
duckroll said:
Look guys, don't worry about Dissidia012. It's fine. 286k isn't that bad when we consider that it is being released in March, compared to Dissidia's December release. Dissidia's first week at the peak December period in 2008 was only 485k anyway. This game will have mad legs, and could sell over 2 million copies when all is said and done. It's really good, and once gamers hear about how awesome Laguna and Gilgamesh are, they'll probably rush out and buy it. Don't be surprised to see the game on the Top10 charts all the way to December. Square Enix has another solid winner.

http://i.imgur.com/NHVHJ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

+ PSN sales. Don't forget PSN sales!

S-E was expecting first week sales similar to the first game considering they shipped 450k (if we believe azalyn) so it is a pretty bad number.

And on a related topic:

Is anyone expecting retail psp games to sell worse than previous entries or similar games now that people knows that the only way to play these games on NGP will be by buying PSN games?
I doubt this would affect new games with good retail bonuses and preorder goods but it might affect the budget re-releases and games with no retail incentives
 

Lord_Byron28

Member
Nov 9, 2010
7,784
0
0
So the attach rate for 3DS is about 0.89%. However, there are 3 games that we don't have numbers for that will likely increase the attach rate a bit. How does this compare with other systems? Is it good, bad or inbetween?

I know the Wii had over a 1.0 attach rate for example.

Cosmonaut X said:
Removing the GC ports wouldn't do a great deal for slimming the system down - the DVD drive pretty much locks it at the size it is, not the GC legacy hardware or the other internals.

It can't get smaller, but there's perhaps something you could do with a refreshed design - same size, new casing material/colours, redesign of the case lines - more rounded, less angular... Couple that with a true price drop - not the measly one it had the other year - start pushing the system on its back-catalogue of rather fantastic first-party games, as well as the few third-party standouts, and offer bundles for major upcoming releases - Just Dance 2, Goldeneye (both NCL releases in Japan), Skyward Sword etc. - as well as maybe bundling with older, still-popular software (a yellow special edition bundled with DKCR, for example).
I think even redesigning it to make it look different would be a waste of time. The system itself is nice, small and stylish as it is. Colors, bundling with older software and marketing their great library of 1st and 3rd party games is the only thing they could do. Either way it looks pretty abysmal for Wii right now. Doesn't help that as of the past few months Nintendo has basically ignored the system.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
faridmon said:
I know you are joking, but considering that the assets is straight from the first game and they haven't added meaning ful to the game apart from fanservice, this ain't bad. it will do 500k and that would be good enough for them.
What the hell are you talking about?
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Lord_Byron28 said:
So the attach rate for 3DS is about 0.89%. However, there are 3 games that we don't have numbers for that will likely increase the attach rate a bit. How does this compare with other systems? Is it good, bad or inbetween?

I know the Wii had over a 1.0 attach rate for example.
You can't take any reliable conclusions for the future from second week's attach rate.
 

m.i.s.

Banned
Mar 13, 2009
1,773
12
785
England, UK
Lord_Byron28 said:
I think even redesigning it to make it look different would be a waste of time. The system itself is nice, small and stylish as it is. Colors, bundling with older software and marketing their great library of 1st and 3rd party games is the only thing they could do. Either way it looks pretty abysmal for Wii right now. Doesn't help that as of the past few months Nintendo has basically ignored the system.
Spot on. Colours and a price drop will certainly help but its the games that the Wii is lacking.

From GB (latter years were dormant till the arrival of Pokemon)-SNES, GBA-GCN and 3DS-Wii, Nintendo have never been able to sustain both their console and handheld line with the same level of support. Sony has had the same problem with PSP-PS3.
 

Souldriver

Member
Jan 8, 2006
16,638
1
0
Interesting times.

3DS still in launch window so you can't conclude too much from it, except that it's selling well.
PSP has had such a weird life cycle. It's more alive than ever. The hardware numbers are really high, and most software releases are for the handheld.
Wii about to crash under 10k. *sirene lights* In that regard, the Wii has also had a really weird life cycle.
PS3 doing OK I guess. It's not dead, and compared to the Wii it's doing well. That's something...
360 is really the winner of this generation. What is LTD again? Must be record breaking by now. And look at those weekly numbers! Just wow! Japan = MS land confirmed.
 

Cygnus X-1

Member
Mar 7, 2007
4,613
5
895
Well, 3DS hardware sales are still very high. More concerning are software sales though.
 

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
May 21, 2006
17,232
3
0
3DS is tracking pretty much dead middle between DS and Wii launch sales.



Of course both DS and Wii head into Christmas sales "next month", so the 3DS might fall behind them temporarily.
 

Cygnus X-1

Member
Mar 7, 2007
4,613
5
895
cvxfreak said:
3DS still sold out no matter where I go in Tokyo or Yokohama.
I wonder why are investors so disappointed at this point.

Stumpokapow said:
3DS is tracking pretty much dead middle between DS and Wii launch sales.

Of course both DS and Wii head into Christmas sales "next month", so the 3DS might fall behind them temporarily.
Yeah and that's not so bad. Disappointing, but not bad. Probably DS's crazy sales set the bar too high. even for 3DS.
 

Lord_Byron28

Member
Nov 9, 2010
7,784
0
0
Chris1964 said:
You can't take any reliable conclusions for the future from second week's attach rate.
I wasn't trying to predict the future or anything with the numbers just wanted to see how other launches did in comparison to this one, that's all.

M.I.S. said:
Spot on. Colours and a price drop will certainly help but its the games that the Wii is lacking.

From GB (latter years were dormant till the arrival of Pokemon)-SNES, GBA-GCN and 3DS-Wii, Nintendo have never been able to sustain both their console and handheld line with the same level of support. Sony has had the same problem with PSP-PS3.
Yeah I think they have a few things up their sleeve but we'll see. I'm actually rather shocked how up until the other day when IGN interviewed Reggie, Nintendo has been dead silent on the Wii. I understand if they don't have games to anounce but you'd think they wouldn't by and large ignore it like they've done for their past 3 press conferences/Keynotes.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Well, 3DS hardware sales are still very high. More concerning are software sales though.
I wouldn't say the software sales are necesarily bad. They're not as good or great as other launches but I wouldn't say bad. Seems to me that first of all there isn't a definitive must have launch title so the sales are a bit more evenly spread amongst many titles. Also with resellers, backwards compatability with DS and pre-installed software it may contribute to why they're lower than other launches.

Yeah and that's not so bad. Disappointing, but not bad. Probably DS's crazy sales set the bar too high. even for 3DS.
How is it dissapointing? Nintendo can only make so many systems. The system isn't tracking in the middle of DS and Wii because of lower demand. It's tracking in between the two due to lack of supply. Nintendo is launching the 3DS around the world and trying to spread everything out evenly where the supply is more needed.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,611
1
1,295
cvxfreak said:
Well this is the info I wanted! I assume you mainly looked at big electronics stores?

It's in stock in my neighborhood and on some percentage of retailers blogs they mention such, but again these stores admit they are not strong with Nintendo products.

The big electronics stores are what matter, we saw the same phenomenon with ds too, it's so interesting that at times when it comes to Nintendo big retailer stores can be completely sold out, while specality stores seem to be ignored by consumers.
 

Huff

Banned
Nov 10, 2010
5,835
0
0
Considering layton is the "must have" 3DS game right now, will it have better legs than the standard Japanese games launch? I doubt next weeks 3DS games will be heavy hitters. And haven't each layton game been selling less than the previous?
 

Eteric Rice

Member
Jan 13, 2007
16,609
160
1,205
king zell said:
so Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition sold more than the console version, i think this is great for capcom and the 3DS
Yeah, I had just noticed this.

I wonder if this means Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 will be a serious possibility now?
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
38
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I had just noticed this.

I wonder if this means Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 will be a serious possibility now?
You just noticed what? His mistake? :p
 

Lord_Byron28

Member
Nov 9, 2010
7,784
0
0
Eteric Rice said:
Hrm? I thought I'd read that the console versions of Street Fighter IV sold like 70k?
It didn't.

Media Create
{2010.04.26 - 2010.05.16} 0056. [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 80.882 / 113.183
{2011.02.21 - 2011.03.06} 0004. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44.649 / 61.624
{2010.04.26 - 2010.05.02} 0062. [360] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 28.454 / 28.454
 

Eteric Rice

Member
Jan 13, 2007
16,609
160
1,205
Lord_Byron28 said:
It didn't.

Media Create
{2010.04.26 - 2010.05.16} 0056. [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 80.882 / 113.183
{2011.02.21 - 2011.03.06} 0004. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) {2011.02.26} - 44.649 / 61.624
{2010.04.26 - 2010.05.02} 0062. [360] Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom) {2010.04.28} - 28.454 / 28.454
Ah, okay. I stand corrected.

Still did pretty well.
 
Reply from old thread, since I see this one is up now.
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Not to dreg up the old-thread, but how does 3ds's 2 day launch vs the rest being 4 day launch play into this analysis?
I wasn't thinking of that at all, but it makes sense that it would help a system show a smaller drop.

1. Shorter first week, less time to accrue sales, less for the second week to match up to.
2. Second week has more close-to-launch days. 3DS week 2 contains days 3-4, while other systems might have days 10-11 instead.

How big both effects are is hard to say. Without daily information, it comes to guesswork how much happened on, say, days 3-4.


Now new stuff.
VOOK said:
To my untrained eye.... 3DS software... not so good?
Just summing up what's in the Top 20, looks like the software:hardware ratio is about the same as last week.

Looking back, the top DS sales from week two were
SM64 56K
Wario 53K
Poké Dash 27K

Pretty similar.
Eteric Rice said:
Hrm? I thought I'd read that the console versions of Street Fighter IV sold like 70k?
3DS version is doing between X360 and PS3 versions. Both regular and Super on PS3 hit about 160K.

EDIT: Worth noting that from PS2 times on, PS2 Street Fighter EX3, PS3 Street Fighter IV, and PS3 Super Street Fighter IV are the only Street Fighter games ahead of 3DS SSFIV.
 

Alrus

Member
Apr 4, 2010
9,787
0
595
Belgium
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I had just noticed this.

I wonder if this means Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 will be a serious possibility now?
If they're using sales of SSFIV 3ds to determine the possibility of a portable MvC3, they'll wait for the international release. Fighting games aren't that big in japan compared to the US and Europe.
 

Canova

Banned
Jan 23, 2009
6,851
0
0
Cygnus X-1 said:
It still hangs on better than the Gamecube with the same amount (if not less) of games.

Everything looks good if Gamecube is used as comparison
 

Cygnus X-1

Member
Mar 7, 2007
4,613
5
895
Canova said:
Everything looks good if Gamecube is used as comparison
Yeah, but I don't remember other systems having so little software support at the end of their life cycle as both Gamecube and Wii.
 

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
27,410
2
0
Alrus said:
If they're using sales of SSFIV 3ds to determine the possibility of a portable MvC3, they'll wait for the international release. Fighting games aren't that big in japan compared to the US and Europe.
NoE is publishing it in europe - it will be big, no doubt bout that.
 

matmanx1

Member
Apr 30, 2008
7,133
0
0
Ga
I do believe that PSN sales will go up and UMD sales will go down the further into this year we get for anyone who's even thinking about an NGP. However, this is not Dissidia 012's problem. There's just not enough new content for some folks to buy into it a second time and I know I'm probably not going to pick my pre-order up until some time in April or later because I have so many March games to play already.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
M.I.S. said:
Given that there's only one title in the top 20, it's a wonder that weekly sales haven't dropped below 10,000.
Ironically, Wii has actually been pretty heavily represented in the Top 30 (at least prior to the 3DS launch), and it hasn't stopped it's trek to 10K and under. It's usually had more games there than PSP, even. :lol Therefore, one game in Top 20 probably isn't the reason that Wii hardware stinks in Japan. It's more likely that the games are usually old ones, a result of near total abandonment for new releases by Nintendo and third-parties. Just wanted to point that out.

# of Wii games in Top 30 (MC)
20110102 - 10
20110109 - 10
20110116 - 9
20110123 - 10
20110130 - 9
20110206 - 9
20110213 - 10
20110220 - 7
20110227 - 5
 

iidesuyo

Member
Apr 20, 2006
3,168
5
1,095
donny2112 said:
Ironically, Wii has actually been pretty heavily represented in the Top 30 (at least prior to the 3DS launch), and it hasn't stopped it's trek to 10K and under. It's usually had more games there than PSP, even. :lol Therefore, one game in Top 20 probably isn't the reason that Wii hardware stinks in Japan. It's more likely that the games are usually old ones, a result of near total abandonment for new releases by Nintendo and third-parties. Just wanted to point that out.

# of Wii games in Top 30 (MC)
20110102 - 10
20110109 - 10
20110116 - 9
20110123 - 10
20110130 - 9
20110206 - 9
20110213 - 10
20110220 - 7
20110227 - 5
A game that's below the Top 20 sells next to nothing, the #1 probably sells more than position 21-30 combined. It's more or less the Top 10 that matter.
 

Dr. Feel Good

Banned
Jun 13, 2006
4,724
6
1,100
iidesuyo said:
A game that's below the Top 20 sells next to nothing, the #1 probably sells more than position 21-30 combined. It's more or less the Top 10 that matter.
Considering Donny's presence in Media Create threads, I'm sure he knows that. But even still constant slow burners can add up after awhile (and typically it's the same handful of Wii titles in the lower spots) and definitely show that people are still interested in software.
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,397
1
0
38
Orange County, CA
Dissidia sales aren't that surprising. It's not really a sequel, it's basically SSFIV of SFIV. A few new characters with a short additional campaign for them and rebalancing of everything else.

Universal Tuning wasn't being sold as an expansion, it was being sold as the international version, like every other SE international version. 012 is basically an expansion pack. If it sells 300k+ I'm sure they're profiting.
 

jeremy1456

Junior Member
Jun 25, 2006
7,122
2
0
How much does everyone think DOA: Dimensions will sell?

It's really hard to gauge because as far as I know this will be the first game in the series to be released on a viable system in Japan since DOA2: Hardcore.
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,410
31
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
duckroll said:
Look guys, don't worry about Dissidia012. It's fine. 286k isn't that bad when we consider that it is being released in March, compared to Dissidia's December release. Dissidia's first week at the peak December period in 2008 was only 485k anyway. This game will have mad legs, and could sell over 2 million copies when all is said and done. It's really good, and once gamers hear about how awesome Laguna and Gilgamesh are, they'll probably rush out and buy it. Don't be surprised to see the game on the Top10 charts all the way to December. Square Enix has another solid winner.

Wada is safe, he alread said to shareholders: "Profits will be down by 92% this year or some shit oh and we fucked up Final Fantasy XIV" and they were like: "okay". Also Square Enix reports VGchurtz numbers, much better sales that way!
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
iidesuyo said:
It's more or less the Top 10 that matter.
Depending on the week, yeah. Sometimes everything's under 50K, so it could be argued that even most of the Top 10 is negligible some weeks. Just found it odd to point out "only" 1 Wii game in Top 20 in relation to the hardware sales, when more games in previous weeks didn't make a difference. Lack of new releases seems like a more probable reason. Not just in 2011, but over the last 2-3 years for Japan.

Edit:
iidesuyo said:
A game that's below the Top 20 sells next to nothing, the #1 probably sells more than position 21-30 combined.
Decided to check. It looks like the last time 21-30 sold more than #1 in Famitsu was Golden Week last year. It happened 4 times in the first part of last year, so it's definitely not unheard of, just FYI. :lol
 

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mar 2, 2008
50,651
0
0
twitter.com
Dissidia's downturn tanking leaves me bittersweet. I loved the first game, but it's really hard for me to muster any excitement for this sequel.
 

Jokeropia

Member
May 15, 2006
6,556
0
0
iidesuyo said:
It's more or less the Top 10 that matter.
That's taking it a bit far, actually. From looking at the total software sales for these last few weeks compared to the combined sales of the top ten, we can see that the latter generally compose about 50% of the former. A considerable amount to be sure, but not enough to claim that the remaining 50% doesn't matter.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,611
1
1,295
Bebpo said:
012 is basically an expansion pack. If it sells 300k+ I'm sure they're profiting.
Square has more to worry about then just profiting now though- they need to improve sell-thourgh to win retailers trust in future shipments. If the shipment of 450,000 was correct, and we see normal drop-off rates for a final fantasy game, this game is heading towards the semi marked-off wagon bin.

Square has upset retailers too much this cycle with Kingdom hearts coded, Front Misson etc etc, all heading towards the wagon bin, not a good pattern.
 
Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,340
You know Sega and Square-Enix fucked up when their expansion-sequels to Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Dissidia do worse than Namco of all companies did with its light director's cut God Eater Burst.

Post-MHP3 landscape could be the reason, but it makes me wonder if Namco will feel confident to do God Eater 2 on PSP or wait until NGP is out.

Also, MHP3 over 4.35m its over DQIX+budget release, best selling 3rd party title in japanese history.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
0
Jokeropia said:
A considerable amount to be sure, but not enough to claim that the remaining 50% doesn't matter.
Yeah, it depends on your definition of "matter." He may be thinking more of the U.K. charts where they supposedly can get much lower by those rankings. #30 in Famitsu is usually ~5K or higher, so if the range was extended to 11-30, the total of those is more often than not higher than the #1 for the week.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Bebpo said:
012 is basically an expansion pack. If it sells 300k+ I'm sure they're profiting.
If the reported shipment is true S-E has already sold 450K.

cw_sasuke said:
NoE is publishing it in europe - it will be big, no doubt bout that.
Capcom is the publisher, Nintendo does the marketing.