• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 09, 2011 (Feb 28 - Mar 6)

Conrad Link said:
I hope Capcom put MH on 3DS, but I have a feeling Sony will do everything in their power to make sure it stays on PSP(2) - it pretty much salvaged the system (at least in Japan) for them didn't it? Now look at the success it enjoys.

The question remains are Nintendo willing to counter and aggressively chase it too? The support they gave MH3 shows maybe they do realise its importance. Imagine Pokemon, Mario, DQ and MH all on 3DS.... knock-out power potential if they got an exclusive.

If its multiplatform and neither version is seen as the 'proper port' it will be interesting to see where fans go.... perhaps the PSP2s price and at the time user-base will decide that.

I do think 3DS will get the next version of MH something something, but the next next 'real one' will be PS3 and then PSP2 for the portable version.
I'd bet on something like this:

Monster Hunter 3G - Wii/PS3
Monster Hunter 4 - 3DS/NGP

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last week's Famitsu top 14 were all new releases.

Orgen said:
Btw Chris, do you have a 2011 release list for the 3DS? I was wondering which title could be the first to cross the 500.000 LTD (Layton, Nintendogs, Zelda?) and which could be the first million seller.

Thanks in advance!
The release schedule for 2011 right now is very far from the complete but anyway this is:

[3DS] Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing (Konami) {2011.03.10}

[3DS] Steel Diver (Nintendo) {2011.03.17}
[3DS] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Ubisoft) {2011.03.17}

[3DS] Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] Gundam: The 3D Battle (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] Rabbids: Travel in Time (Ubisoft) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts) {2011.03.24}

[3DS] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Pro Baseball Family Stadium 2011 (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Naruto Shippuden 3D: The New Era (Takara Tomy) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Virus Shooter XX (Dorart) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Nikoli no Sudoku 3D: 8-tsu no Puzzle de 1000-mon (Hamster) {2011.03.31}

[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.07}
[3DS] Cubic Ninja (AQ Interactive) {2011.04.07}
[3DS] Kuukan Sagashimono Kei: Nouryoku Kaihatsu 3D Nou Training (IE Institute) {2011.04.07}

[3DS] Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo) {2011.04.14}

[3DS] Deca Sports 3D (Hudson) {2011.04.28}

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.19}
[3DS] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Ubisoft) {2011.05.19}

[3DS] DualPenSports (Bandai Namco) {2011.06.02}

[3DS] Real 3D Bass Fishing Fish On (ASCII Media Works) {2011.06.09}

[3DS] UnchainBlades ReXX (FuRyu) {2011.06.23}

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {2011.06.xx}

[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (Konami) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Sudoku (Hudson) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Animal Resort: Let's Make a Zoo (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Angler’s Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing 3D (D3 Publisher) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Dream Trigger 3D (D3 Publisher) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Runabout 3D (Rocket Company) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Rodea the Sky Soldier (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Super Black Bass 3D Soul (Starfish) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Me de Unou wo Kitaeru: 3D Sokudoku Jutsu (Milestone) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Tank Beat 3 (Milestone) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Driver Renegade (Ubisoft) {2011 Spring}

[3DS] Tetris Axis (Hudson) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Bikkuriman Kanjuku Haou Sanmi Douran Sensouki (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Earthpedia (Gakken) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Karous 3D (Milestone) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Joji Muke Game (Global A Entertainment) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Daisenryaku (System Soft Alpha) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Oshare Princess (Culture Brain) {2011 Summer}

[3DS] Shinigami Oni (Digital Works) {2011 Fall}
[3DS] Zaoo (Digital Works) {2011 Fall}

[3DS] Let's Take the A-Train 3D (Artdink) {2011 Winter}

[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Mario Kart (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D (Konami) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Love Plus 3DS (Konami) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Hostess Club 3DS (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Devil Survivor: Over Clock (Atlus Co.) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Omega Five (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Kororinpa (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Bomberman (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Bonk 3D (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Medarot 3D (Rocket Company) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Hakuouki 3D (Idea Factory) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Cute Puppy 3D (MTO) {2011.xx.xx}

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cygnus X-1 said:
Yeah and that's not so bad. Disappointing, but not bad. Probably DS's crazy sales set the bar too high. even for 3DS.
Was DS launch really that remarkable? I was under impression it didn't really reach the highs of PS2 opening.
And the numbers DS posted in the next few consecutive years in same time period made the launch look real puny anyway.

For the love of, until Capcom actually says what they are doing with the future of MH can we refrain from the backseat analysis. The circle-jerking over whatever platform choice fantasies most pleases is getting to be a weekly occurence.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Fafalada said:
Was DS launch really that remarkable? I was under impression it didn't really reach the highs of PS2 opening.
And the numbers DS posted in the next few consecutive years in same time period made the launch look real puny anyway.
3 months after release DS dropped below 30k. December inflated its launch numbers. DS had a bad start.

Die Squirrel Die said:
For the love of, until Capcom actually says what they are doing with the future of MH can we refrain from the backseat analysis. The circle-jerking over whatever platform choice fantasies most pleases is getting to be a weekly occurence.

Yeah, I can honestly see it going any number of ways. There's no real point in speculating until Capcom announces something, but this is NeoGAF...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chris1964 said:
3 months after release DS dropped below 30k. December inflated its launch numbers. DS had a bad start.
Yea I kind of remembered it like that. Anyway I just went back and re-checked if I remember right - PS2 was cited to do over 900k on day one (so probably over 1M for week one) in Japan. But IIRC they also didn't have another shipment for weeks after though.

[Nintex]

Brazil said:
"Denial"? Really?

So sad.

The 3DS and NGP are very different platforms in every way. They'd have to make two different games.
Capcom ported Dead Rising to Wii and Resident Evil 4 to mobile phones. Jun Takeuchi doesn't give a fuck and he's running Capcom's software side now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
[Nintex] said:
Capcom ported Dead Rising to Wii and Resident Evil 4 to mobile phones. Jun Takeuchi doesn't give a fuck and he's running Capcom's software side now.
I guess. Although they've never done anything like that with Monster Hunter.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ah, port facts, the new port begging.
That's exactly what I'm seeing.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
I think he means Monster Hunter 4, as opposed to Monster Hunter Portable 4th.
It's a pedantic argument to pick and in the end, it means nothing, because the Portable version has eclipsed the original release each and every time. One of these days, they'll just skip it and go straight to portable.

Paracelsus said:
Wow, so many people in denial of the fact Capcom will go multplatform with Monster Hunter.

If they multi-platform the game on portables there is no way it is going to be within a timely manner, I'd expect a 1/1 half year lag at least between the different versions, Thinking it's going to come out on 3ds and NGP at the same time is a complete lack of understanding of what MHP is.

Jonnyram said:
It's a pedantic argument to pick and in the end, it means nothing, because the Portable version has eclipsed the original release each and every time. One of these days, they'll just skip it and go straight to portable.
I don't think they'd do that. Forever, as long as it works, they'll do both, because that maximizes their gain from the situation.

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If they multi-platform the game on portables there is no way it is going to be within a timely manner, I'd expect a 1/1 half year lag at least between the different versions, Thinking it's going to come out on 3ds and NGP at the same time is a complete lack of understanding of what MHP is.

It would actually make sense if they release two completely different MHP games for each platform to test how viable it is. Since cross-platform play is out of the question, it would be most effective to do it in a way where they can see if gamers are happy to play a MHP game on any portable platform, as long as they can play with their friends.

freddy

Banned
I'm not sure even Capcom knows why they put games on certain platforms. Sometimes I think they have a well stocked fridge full of saki and a huge dartboard.

The 3DS and the PSP2 won't do well in sharing assets, though. You'll get a bunch of low poly characters with shaders and more barren environments that would look quite out of place on the NGP. It'll be Xbox/PS2 all over again.

confuziz

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
The 3DS and the PSP won't do well in sharing assets, though. You'll get a bunch of low poly characters with shaders and more barren environments that would look quite out of place on the NGP. It'll be Xbox/PS2 all over again.

in...what way exactly?

king zell

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

um after Sengoku Basara 3 Wii-PS3 i would expect anything from Capcom

Truth101

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
The 3DS and the PSP won't do well in sharing assets, though. You'll get a bunch of low poly characters with shaders and more barren environments that would look quite out of place on the NGP. It'll be Xbox/PS2 all over again.

A 3DS Monster Hunter would probably reuse Monster Hunter Tri's assets and run it using MT Framework Mobile.

Also... Why wouldn't the PSP's assets be easily ported to the 3DS...?

Obviously I meant PSP2/NGP in the previous post.

confuziz said:
in...what way exactly?
Would a better comparison be Wii v. PS3? Since both the 3DS and NGP were stated to be about 80% within the respective home consoles.

So you'd either get a supremely inferior 3DS port noone wants or a barren, unfinished-looking NGP game noone wants either.

Or Capcom sinks the dollars to develop two titles independently, catering to two different markets. I don't doubt that the 3DS will get a title from the MH series, but I don't think it'll get a direct sequel to the mainline games.

Brazil said:
I don't think there's a precedent, but if they're smart, what I said is what they're going to do. Monster Hunter is a series with a following. The boost PSP sales get when a new game in the series is released shows that fans will go anywhere the series is.

If you split the player base between two platforms, they'll buy the game in the platform they already have or that their friends already have, and the community will be shattered. If they release the game in a single platform, though, the community will remain intact, and sales will probably be about the same as if it had two versions, since fans will buy it anyway.
I see where you're coming from, but I also wonder how much harm this community-shattering would do. Say each platform gets only half of what MHP3 does. A multiplayer community with only 2 million won't have trouble finding each other.

jeremy1456 said:
How many games in each series were released in that time span?
In release order, these were the results I got:
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable
Dragon Quest V (Ultimate Hits)
Dragon Quest VIII (Ultimate Hits)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Ultimate Hits)
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special, Ultimate Hits
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Ultimate Hits)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (Ultimate Hits)
Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie
Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (ULTIMATE)
Dragon Quest V (ULTIMATE)
Dragon Quest IV (ULTIMATE)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road Victory

Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP The Best)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Portable (BEST Reprint)
Monster Hunter 2 (BEST)
Monster Hunter Portable 2 G
Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST)
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST Reprint)
Monster Hunter Frontier Online
Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Villag
Monster Hunter Frontier Online Season 9.0 Premium Package
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Pretty similar once reprints are combined with the originals.

Nuclear Muffin said:
On the other hand, the 3DS has the advantage of lower dev costs (the cited reason why MH3 was moved from PS3 to Wii) and the 3D effect for monsters coming out of the screen. Streetpass could also be used for trading items and such when you pass by someone else.

Plus the 3DS will have the advantage of a larger user base (though that didn't stop Capcom from putting the series on the PSP)
If I was at Capcom trying to think of the pros of each, one of my big things for 3DS would be the ability to coexist with other huge multiplayer games. On PSP, it's THE game people put their PSPs together for. On DS and presumably 3DS people will already be doing it for things like Pokémon or Mario Kart, so there's already a market of multiplayer gatherers to tap into.
Die Squirrel Die said:
can we refrain from the backseat analysis
... ... ... Shut down GAF?
Fafalada said:
Yea I kind of remembered it like that. Anyway I just went back and re-checked if I remember right - PS2 was cited to do over 900k on day one (so probably over 1M for week one) in Japan. But IIRC they also didn't have another shipment for weeks after though.
Here's both Famitsu's and Sony's shipment version of the first hundredish days in Japan.
fam

PS2_JPold

JoshuaJSlone said:
I see where you're coming from, but I also wonder how much harm this community-shattering would do. Say each platform gets only half of what MHP3 does. A multiplayer community with only 2 million won't have trouble finding each other.

Large communities draw in more. If MH wasn't a community-based rpg I would feel you.

Monster hunter's popularity comes a whole lot from the snowball effect though, It's what your friends are playing/ it's what you can pick up and play with others at almost anytime. You don't want to get left out so you join in on the fun. The 100 hours you put into a character can be sharable with just any other gamer in Japan.

Duckroll's idea makes sense if we get another monster hunter village type game.

This is of course talking about the mainstream game on portables, console games don't have as much as a social aspect to them, thus lessining the need for one giant community..

Orgen

Chris1964 said:
Last week's Famitsu top 14 were all new releases.

The release schedule for 2011 right now is very far from the complete but anyway this is:

[3DS] Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing (Konami) {2011.03.10}

[3DS] Steel Diver (Nintendo) {2011.03.17}
[3DS] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Ubisoft) {2011.03.17}

[3DS] Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] Gundam: The 3D Battle (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] Rabbids: Travel in Time (Ubisoft) {2011.03.24}
[3DS] The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts) {2011.03.24}

[3DS] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Pro Baseball Family Stadium 2011 (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Naruto Shippuden 3D: The New Era (Takara Tomy) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Virus Shooter XX (Dorart) {2011.03.31}
[3DS] Nikoli no Sudoku 3D: 8-tsu no Puzzle de 1000-mon (Hamster) {2011.03.31}

[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.07}
[3DS] Cubic Ninja (AQ Interactive) {2011.04.07}
[3DS] Kuukan Sagashimono Kei: Nouryoku Kaihatsu 3D Nou Training (IE Institute) {2011.04.07}

[3DS] Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo) {2011.04.14}

[3DS] Deca Sports 3D (Hudson) {2011.04.28}

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.19}
[3DS] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Ubisoft) {2011.05.19}

[3DS] DualPenSports (Bandai Namco) {2011.06.02}

[3DS] Real 3D Bass Fishing Fish On (ASCII Media Works) {2011.06.09}

[3DS] UnchainBlades ReXX (FuRyu) {2011.06.23}

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {2011.06.xx}

[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (Konami) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Sudoku (Hudson) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Animal Resort: Let's Make a Zoo (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Angler’s Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing 3D (D3 Publisher) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Dream Trigger 3D (D3 Publisher) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Runabout 3D (Rocket Company) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Rodea the Sky Soldier (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Super Black Bass 3D Soul (Starfish) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Me de Unou wo Kitaeru: 3D Sokudoku Jutsu (Milestone) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Tank Beat 3 (Milestone) {2011 Spring}
[3DS] Driver Renegade (Ubisoft) {2011 Spring}

[3DS] Tetris Axis (Hudson) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Bikkuriman Kanjuku Haou Sanmi Douran Sensouki (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Earthpedia (Gakken) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Karous 3D (Milestone) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Joji Muke Game (Global A Entertainment) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Daisenryaku (System Soft Alpha) {2011 Summer}
[3DS] Oshare Princess (Culture Brain) {2011 Summer}

[3DS] Shinigami Oni (Digital Works) {2011 Fall}
[3DS] Zaoo (Digital Works) {2011 Fall}

[3DS] Let's Take the A-Train 3D (Artdink) {2011 Winter}

[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Mario Kart (Nintendo) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D (Konami) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Love Plus 3DS (Konami) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Fantasy Life (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Hostess Club 3DS (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go (Level 5) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Devil Survivor: Over Clock (Atlus Co.) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Omega Five (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Kororinpa (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Bomberman (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Bonk 3D (Hudson) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Medarot 3D (Rocket Company) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Hakuouki 3D (Idea Factory) {2011.xx.xx}
[3DS] Cute Puppy 3D (MTO) {2011.xx.xx}

Thanks Chris. Not a million seller in sight... do you know which was the first DS million seller and when?

Thanks again :)

Jokeropia

Orgen said:
Thanks Chris. Not a million seller in sight...
By "in sight", you are only referring to the games with know release dates, yes? Because Mario Kart will definitely sell a million.
Orgen said:
do you know which was the first DS million seller and when?
Brain Age and Animal Crossing both exceeded 1 million during the week ending 2005-12-26. Nintendogs joined them the week after.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Chris1964 said:
Famitsu Sales: Feb 2011 (Jan 31 - Feb 27)
MARKET VALUE (Millions of Yen)
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------     
|       | This Month | Last Month |  Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |     
|  H-W  |     17.750 |     17.970 |     11.470 |     35.720 |     44.670 |
|  S-W  |     22.600 |     30.380 |     20.580 |     52.980 |     61.650 |
|  TOT  |     40.350 |     48.340 |     32.050 |     88.690 |    106.320 |

How is this earthquake going to change the sales over the next few weeks?

(Good luck too all J-GAF, I hope you made it through safe and sound!)

Road

Dengeki Sales, Feb 28 - Mar 06, 2011:

01. / 00. [PSP] Dissidia 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 281,362 / 281,362
02. / 00. [PS3] Way of the Samurai 4 (Spike) - 81,235 / 81,235
03. / 03. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) - 63,080 / 174,211
04. / 01. [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) - 46,205 / 282,183
05. / 02. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinty (SEGA) - 44,476 / 252,543
06. / 05. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) - 29,800 / 72,400
07. / 12. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) - 25,714 / 4,406,897
08. / 10. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends (Nintendo) - 21,353 / 52,506
09. / 00. [PSP] Star Driver Kagaiaki no Takato: Ginga Bishounen Densetsu (Bandai Namco) - 19,419 / 19,419
10. / 00. [NDS] Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars Blue (Bandai Namco) - 19,327 / 19,327
11. / 17. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends (Nintendo) - 19,211 / 45,011
12. / 07. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) - 18,123 / 52,592
13. / 09. [3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) - 17,800 / 49,021
14. / 14. [3DS] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami) - 16,320 / 43,563
15. / 00. [NDS] Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars Red (Bandai Namco) - 16,115 / 16,115
16. / 04. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi) - 14,171 / 87,906
17. / 19. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) - 12,900 / 304,104
18. / 24. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - 10,113 / ?
19. / 16. [PS3] Catherine (Atlus) - 9,503 / 174,415
20. / 13. [PS3] Killzone 3 (SCE) - 7,588 / 36,347

00. / 00. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats (Golden Retriever, Toy Poodle, French Bulldog & New Friends) (Nintendo) - 46,000 / 114,000

Other software (first week / LTD):
2008-12-18 [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 496,000 / 950,000
2008-11-13 [PS3] Way of the Samurai 3 (Spike) - 82,000 / 200,000

Sell-through:
- Nintendo 3DS Hardware ~85%
- [PSP] Dissidia 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy ~70%
- [PS3] Way of the Samurai 4 ~65%

1) Total 3DS software / attach ratio after 2 weeks: 542,000 / 0.93

2) Two-week launch hardware sales:
- GBA: 954,000
- PS2: 858,000
- 3DS: 584,000
- NDS: 557,000
- WII: 466,000
- PSP: 263,000
- GCN: 212,000
- XBX: 153,000
- PS3: 120,000
- 360: 67,000

Code:
Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD
----------------------------------------------------------
3DS      |   209,664 |   374,400 |   584,604 | 	  584,604
PSP      |    70,412 |    48,219 |   549,992 | 16,850,317
PS3      |    23,295 |    22,254 |   325,407 |  6,417,030
NDS      |    16,852 |    17,431 |   360,785 | 32,248,160
WII      |    10,959 |    11,733 |   251,170 | 11,525,297
360      |     2,010 |     4,380 |    30,747 |  1,476,327
PS2      |     1,422 |     1,184 |    15,028 | 	
---------------------------------------------------------
Total    |   334,614 |   479,601 | 2,117,733 |
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/353/353640/
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/594/594826/
http://research.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/066/66178/
http://megalodon.jp/2011-0311-2235-50/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 9 - 02-21 ~ 02-27
Week 8 - 02-14 ~ 02-20
Week 7 - 02-07 ~ 02-13
Week 6 - 01-31 ~ 02-06
Week 5 - 01-24 ~ 01-30

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 26. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) {2010.07.08}
22. / 00. [3DS] Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega) {2011.03.03}
23. / 18. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus (Konami) {2011.02.24}
24. / 19. [PS3] Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Capcom) {2011.02.17}
25. / 11. [PS3] Rune Factory: Oceans (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.02.24}
26. / 31. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18}
27. / 33. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
28. / 23. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.10}
29. / 35. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
30. / 36. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) {2010.12.16}
31. / 37. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}
32. / 30. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.10}
33. / 25. [3DS] Bust-A-Move Universe (Square Enix) {2011.02.26}
34. / 12. [WII] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.24}
35. / 32. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {2010.12.09}
36. / 00. [NDS] Fly Mr. Science: Great Expedition of the Earth! Challenge the Mysterious and Strange Creatures (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.03}
37. / 00. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
38. / 39. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (w/ Remote Plus) (Nintendo) {2010.11.11}
39. / 41. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) {2008.04.10}
40. / 28. [3DS] Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft) {2011.02.26}
41. / 44. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Hudson) {2011.01.20}
42. / 14. [PSP] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 5 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.24}
43. / 10. [360] The Idolmaster 2 (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.24}
44. / 46. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
45. / 00. [3DS] Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft) {2011.03.03}
46. / 29. [PS3] Two Worlds II (Ubisoft) {2011.02.17}
47. / 42. [PSP] Kenka Bancho 5: Laws of Manhood (Spike) {2011.01.27}
48. / 50. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3 (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.02}
49. / 49. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
50. / 48. [PSP] Macross: Triangle Frontier (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.03}

3DS - 10
NDS - 10
PSP - 10
WII - 10
PS3 - 9
360 - 1
PS2 - 0

SOFTWARE
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |            
|  ALL  | 1.193.217 | 1.572.324 | 1.095.707 |  9.601.135 | 11.225.981 |       

Orgen

Jokeropia said:
By "in sight", you are only referring to the games with know release dates, yes? Because Mario Kart will definitely sell a million.
Brain Age and Animal Crossing both exceeded 1 million during the week ending 2005-12-26. Nintendogs joined them the week after.

Yes. I know that Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and even Super Mario 3DS will be million sellers, but are those 2011 titles? (Mario is 2012, but what about MK and AC?)

Thanks for the info :)

Orgen said:
Yes. I know that Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and even Super Mario 3DS will be million sellers, but are those 2011 titles? (Mario is 2012, but what about MK and AC?)

Thanks for the info :)

I'm fairly confident we will see both Mario Kart and Animal Crossing this year. The DS games came out within weeks of each other in Japan. I don't think Nintendo will do that again, but maybe one in September/October and one in November/December.

Million sellers aren't that common right after launch, so if the 3DS doesn't get one until the next holidays, it's not that big of a deal. That said, I think that Professor Layton, Nintendogs, OoT 3D, and maybe a few other games have a chance to get 500k+.

Grimmy

Banned
I wonder what will happen to the release of Disaster Report 4 in the aftermath of the horrible earthquake in Japan...

Grimmy said:
I wonder what will happen to the release of Disaster Report 4 in the aftermath of the horrible earthquake in Japan...
Hopefully it means business as usual, despite what's happened. It'll most likely get pushed back though.

Grimmy said:
Creepily enough, it was set to release yesterday before its latest delay to vague "Spring".

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Grimmy said:
It was already delayed to Spring, now it will likely go further back.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
thestopsign said:
How is this earthquake going to change the sales over the next few weeks?

(Good luck too all J-GAF, I hope you made it through safe and sound!)

There is no doubt that the devastating earthquake will leave the video game market (and Japanese market) in tatters because they need to start rebuilding infrastructure, buildings, and the homes destroyed during the earthquake. This will leave Japan with a lasting economic impact that will last for a while.

So the combination of Famitsu's site getting 3DS's first week's software data up and discussion of 3DS's early software sales reminded me of something I made long enough ago that it hasn't been touched in 3+ years and still sits in my /gamecharting directory rather than anywhere on garpah.info. Maybe I should update it, BUT as it stands here is a comparison of DS and 3DS software sales through week 1. Two things immediately seem lacking: No total number given for either system, and no warning if you follow the links to further weeks that only one system actually goes that far. There also seems to be an issue where when platform1 runs out of games it stops listing them for platform2, but since DS and 3DS match have the same number in their first Famitsu Top 30 appearances that's not an issue for now.
Sammy Samusu said:
Do you think someone is buying video-games today?

There you go.
Yes. Not to downplay things, but not everywhere got the full brunt.

Next week predictions...

Prediction League (Mar 14 - Mar 20)
[3DS] Steel Diver (Nintendo) -
[NDS] Powerful Golf (Konami) -
[PS3] Yakuza: Of the End (Sega) -

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Assuming there won't be delays

[3DS] Steel Diver (Nintendo) - 43.210
[NDS] Powerful Golf (Konami) - 21.098
[PS3] Yakuza: Of the End (Sega) - 210.987

Top Bottom