• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 09, 2011 (Feb 28 - Mar 6)

BowieZ

Banned
Watchtower said:
So what's the deal with 3DS sales? Supply problems? 600k in two weeks seems a little low but maybe my expectations are off. How much was everyone predicting prior to launch?
It truly is the PSP of this generation.

confuziz

Banned
Watchtower said:
So what's the deal with 3DS sales? Supply problems? 600k in two weeks seems a little low but maybe my expectations are off. How much was everyone predicting prior to launch?

It is at the same level as the DS.

confuziz said:
It is at the same level as the DS.

Thanks.

BowieZ said:
I was just riffing on you and your hilarious NPD thread debacle from yesterday re this gen's PS2.

Well I still think the most hilarious part of that was that it was in an NPD thread. In here it would probably make more sense to say the DS is the spiritual successor to the PS2, considering the state of the video game market in Japan.

By the way, has the official US and European launch allocation numbers been released? I was thinking about jumping in on the Ebay train again(yeah I know, I suck, but if I'm going to spend this much time talking sales, might as well make it worth my time ;p).

Watchtower said:
Here's a wider view of things. Not up to GBA/PS2/DS starts, but higher than most. 3DS ends up with a pale color here, but it's easy to see it as the only one that doesn't go all the way.
mc

JoshuaJSlone said:
Here's a wider view of things. Not up to GBA/PS2/DS starts, but higher than most. 3DS ends up with a pale color here, but it's easy to see it as the only one that doesn't go all the way.
mc

Thanks. So I'm assuming it is sold out everywhere then. Anyone know the US and European launch allocations? Last number I remember seeing was 2.5 million total, no?

Oh and.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-3DS-em...0671342050?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4aa9805de2

LMFAO. Is that even legal? Why didn't I think of that.

Watchtower said:
Thanks. So I'm assuming it is sold out everywhere then. Anyone know the US and European launch allocations? Last number I remember seeing was 2.5 million total, no

You are correct: http://kotaku.com/#!5729225/there-will-be-four-million-3ds-handhelds-available-on-planet-earth 4 1.5 million in japan, 2.5 million for Europe and America

(I don't mind you doing so in itself, but can I also just note that i find it strange you complain about people talking about worldwide sales in the NPD thread, then come into the media create thread asking for European and America numbers)

As to 3ds supply: no problems to find in my area, some retailer blogs are worried the lack of software will even further increase customers selling them. (But again nintendo's supply is strange, you can have stock at specialty stocks but have families/parents running around every toy store/ electronics store crying about them being sold-out)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
You are correct: http://kotaku.com/#!5729225/there-will-be-four-million-3ds-handhelds-available-on-planet-earth 4 1.5 million in japan, 2.5 million for Europe and America

(I don't mind you doing so in itself, but can I also just note that i find it strange you complain about people talking about worldwide sales in the NPD thread, then come into the media create thread asking for European and America numbers)

As to 3ds supply: no problems to find in my area, some retailer blogs are worried the lack of software will even further increase customers selling them. (But again nintendo's supply is strange, you can have stock at specialty stocks but have families/parents running around every toy store/ electronics store crying about them being sold-out)
Strange, CVX posted it was sold out when he went shopping the other day, iirc.
Many people claim the same on 2ch (lol) as far as I know, maybe it's just a stock problem in certain retailers where gamers are more likely to shop.

smurfx

get some go again
Cygnus X-1 said:
I think sales will go down during next weeks due to the catastrophe in Japan. Both hardware and software.
yeah i'm wondering how much of an effect the catastrophe will effect game sales. the japanese economy is probably going to take a tremendous hit so people might end up saving all the money they have.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Hmmm. I really want to know if I should jump in on the Ebay bandwagon train, but that last part scares me. I'm assuming ~1.5 million in the USA. If it was November I wouldn't hesitate but March is a different story. But if I don't pre-order now and they sell out, I will miss out completely. Grrrrr. Dilemma. Anyone else going to take a shot at selling on Ebay?

PS: I didn't have a problem with WW discussion in the NPD thread. I participated in quite a few of them. My problem was with the way some people were positioning the arguments as if it was a WW sales thread or a Media-Create thread. Besides I'm trying to gauge the launch, and I can only look at Japan at this point.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see why people are jumping to coclusions for the 3DS. It doesn't really have a killer app or anything yet. And why should it? They can probably barely keep supplying the current demand. Why release a killer app for such a limited user base? So that by the time it's more widely available the hype has died down with the short shelf life games tend to have? Although I do think it should pick up more before the NGP hits, they should do something about that. They've already said they've held back some games. I'd wait and see what those and how they'll do before judging the 3DS' fate... Getting ports and smaller projects makes sense for a launch period as they aren't going to lose money just because of the still developing userbase.

Cygnus X-1

smurfx said:
yeah i'm wondering how much of an effect the catastrophe will effect game sales. the japanese economy is probably going to take a tremendous hit so people might end up saving all the money they have.

And I would agree with them. This is not really the time to play videogames.

Cygnus X-1 said:

Actually, I think you often find the opposite - that people often turn to distractions and entertainment to find some escape from tragedy.

gkryhewy

Watchtower said:
Hmmm. I really want to know if I should jump in on the Ebay bandwagon train, but that last part scares me. I'm assuming ~1.5 million in the USA. If it was November I wouldn't hesitate but March is a different story. But if I don't pre-order now and they sell out, I will miss out completely. Grrrrr. Dilemma. Anyone else going to take a shot at selling on Ebay?

PS: I didn't have a problem with WW discussion in the NPD thread. I participated in quite a few of them. My problem was with the way some people were positioning the arguments as if it was a WW sales thread or a Media-Create thread. Besides I'm trying to gauge the launch, and I can only look at Japan at this point.

I do not think the potential profits will make resale worthwhile. It's still available for preorder on Amazon, ostensibly for launch day. The launch allocation is very high. Unless you want to chance shortages developing post-launch, I wouldn't bother.

Cygnus X-1 said:

This has been a debate amongst Business Media magazines here in Japan for the past few days, people need stress release, need a way to escape from the tragedy after tragedy.

They have even brought out the reports that when people are denied entertainment, productivity stress anger all negative emotions go up.

Add to the fact that if we all restrain from buying video games, it adds yet another layer of damage brought on by the disaster.

____

Anyway: yet more delays: The sims3ds and crysis 2(March 24th) both indefinitely
delayed

SPLIT SECOND(march 24th) - PSP indefinitely
delayed

confuziz said:
Why crysis?

EA's press release regarding both just stated due to influence from the disaster, and then offered prayers and wishes to thoese affected by it.

They also are closing offices from the 17th-21st

mclem

Cygnus X-1 said:

This is not really the time to *buy* videogames. It's an excellent time to play them.

confuziz

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
EA's press release regarding both just stated due to influence from the disaster, and then offered prayers and wishes to thoese affected by it.

They also are closing offices from the 17th-21st

Wait, this isn't worldwide right?

Wait, this isn't worldwide right?

Nope sorry for the confusion, this is of course Japan only. If it was world-wide I'd be posting a new thread

This is not really the time to *buy* videogames. It's an excellent time to play them.

Game specialty shops in Japan are really really hurting right now, I can link you to blogs wondering if they are going to be able to financially make it through this time, obviously donating to charity is the higher moral thing to do. However not spending money due to the earthquake does not help Japan recover, it just adds more to the damage.

Famitsu numbers are out, Dynasty warriors 7 is the 8th best start ever for a ps3 game giving it between 234,000 and 320,000 in sales.

1 Dynasty Warriors 7
2. Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy
3. Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (
4. Rurouni Kenshin - Saisen
5. 4/5 Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends
6. 6/2 Phantasy star portable 2
7. FAIRY TAIL PORTABLE GUILD 2
8. Way of the Samurai 4
9. SD Gundam G Generation: World
10. Monster hunter portable 3

Ratrat

Nuclear Muffin said:
Obviously you missed the panic buying of groceries and supplies that ensued after the quake. I would imagine that this would affect people's spending priorities.
You live here do you?

farnham

Banned
Alextended said:
I don't see why people are jumping to coclusions for the 3DS. It doesn't really have a killer app or anything yet. And why should it? They can probably barely keep supplying the current demand. Why release a killer app for such a limited user base? So that by the time it's more widely available the hype has died down with the short shelf life games tend to have? Although I do think it should pick up more before the NGP hits, they should do something about that. They've already said they've held back some games. I'd wait and see what those and how they'll do before judging the 3DS' fate... Getting ports and smaller projects makes sense for a launch period as they aren't going to lose money just because of the still developing userbase.
nintendogs is not a killer app ?

that thing sold 20 million units world wide

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
farnham said:
nintendogs is not a killer app ?

that thing sold 20 million units world wide
and one Million in Japan on a hardware with much higher userbase and when it was the "new" shit.....

Japan was by far the weakest market for nintendogs .....

Cosmonaut X said:
Actually, I think you often find the opposite - that people often turn to distractions and entertainment to find some escape from tragedy.
yeah, i just saw on aljazeera how some kids at shelters were playing their DS's. they looked happy and i think they deserve that little escape from reality right now.

Ratrat said:
You live here do you?
Its kind of in thew news, mianly due to the forced power cuts I recall (at least some of the stuff like torches and batteries).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698 said:
1424: Simon, from Nagoya, Japan, writes: "I went to the immigration office in Nagoya today to get a re-entry visa, just in case. It took four hours. Many foreigners doing the same thing - readying themselves to leave. Supermarkets here are running low on water, toilet rolls and instant cup noodles. I am very much hoping the reactor problem is solved soon."

1311: The BBC's Clive Myrie, in a school that has been transformed into an evacuation centre in Yamagata, says people are being tested for radiation when they arrive. Local residents have been helping out - bringing spare blankets, fuel and water. But some of the supermarkets and convenience stores are already rationing their supplies and a sports centre down the road is getting ready to welcome a further 1,000 people.
Plus the BBC had a piece on their news bulleten last night showing that Tokyo is far from business as usual.

But I'll concede, I don't know if the west of the country like Osaka etc is affected very much.
Edit: Plus the whole assume news shows worse areas everywhere is just as bad, hard to get big picture.

astroturfing said:
yeah, i just saw on aljazeera how some kids at shelters were playing their DS's. they looked happy and i think they deserve that little escape from reality right now.

Actually a few retailers have reported used sales better then normal for this week, one even went so far as to say on trading cards he had the highest grossing day every, children need to be kept distracted.

I know this conflicts with what I previously said, but it seems that stores that rely more on new release/ closer to the problem areas are obviously harder hit.

Sammy Samusu said:
Media Create is out.

How do you take hardware? 3ds is difficult to figure out is it the earthquake or is it lack of interest? Since ps3 went up and psp is at the same level it was at before last weeks bundles the earthquake link is unclear.

Next release that could be at all system seller isn't till the 14th, pilotwings.

Top Bottom