• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2012 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

03./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
04./02. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)

Monster Hunter higher than Mario Land!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Did anyone expect more for AC ? How did the PSP games sell ? They just released the HD titles a while ago so maybe Air Combat fans already got enough for now.

Hope they put out a demo, I want to try it with the CC Pro.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did anyone expect more for AC ? How did the PSP games sell ? They just released the HD titles a while ago so maybe Air Combat fans already got enough for now.

Eh, I wasn't expecting much since there weren't signs showing good interest in the game.
Just for information, here's what the PSP titles did

[PSP] Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault (Bandai Namco) - 73.951 / 136.806 / 54,06% 26/08/10
[PSP] Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (Bandai Namco) - 52.312 / 116.176 / 45,03% 26/10/06

There are no infos about Ace Combat Advance, nor in Chris1964's database, neither on Garaph. A game which it seems never exsisted XD

wrowa

Spirit Camera in the top 10?

That's way more than anyone could ask for.

This is the week of big drops, so being in the top 10 doesn't mean that much. It probably sold around 25-30k units, which should be in line with expectations.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yay, MonHun still 3rd, hope it's not so high because everything's doing badly either, fingers crossed for minimal % drop.

Edit: oh, with 3D Land just below it, it can't be bad! Maybe even an increase?

Erethian

Ace+Combat%3A+X2

Takao

Banned
Ace Combat is not doing hot I guess (but it's the first AC on a Nintendo platform so it was expected + PSP episodes sold well through time) but Spirit Camera seems going nicely.

This was the first Ace Combat on PSP:
80 [PSP] Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (Bandai Namco) - 52,312 / 116,176

Released in 2007. I can't dig up PSP hardware totals from then, but yeah not really comparable. Just like that recent 3DS Gundam game.

wrowa

Is Ace Combat called Assault Horizon Legacy in Japan too? I thought it had another name.

I'll never understand why some publishers give their handheld efforts names that make them sound like lesser versions of a console title. Why would I want to buy such a game?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is Ace Combat called Assault Horizon Legacy in Japan too? I thought it had another name.

I'll never understand why some publishers give their handheld efforts names that make them sound like lesser versions of a console title. Why would I want to buy such a game?

In Japan, it's called Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not sure if the Wii CoD games even are "ports" to any significantly larger degree than the DS CoD games are. It's more like recreated versions of the game to fit a completely different hardware. With modern architecture and scalable engines, porting to Wii U should be much simpler (if only by virtue of being possible in the first place) similar to how modern PC games are ported to 360 and PS3.

Now we don't know the specs of any of the next-gen systems yet so this discussion is obviously premature, but it'd take something extreme to replicate another Wii-situation.
That could be. It supports the point why there wasnt a Wii version of many of the multiplatform titles, that it was simply too much work to be done to make a Wii version since a more simple downscale port wasnt possible.

Yep, it depends on how big of a leap PS4/Xbox 720 will take. From what the rumor says, the WiiU is basically in the PS3/Xbox 360 range of hardware power. If PS4/Xbox 720 takes a leap like we saw this generation, then the WiiU will be "previous gen" hardware in terms of power, like the Wii was. It all depends on how big this hardware leap is and how well prepared the developers are, and how they build their tools :) I think that the developers are more prepared this time.

That could be. It supports the point why there wasnt a Wii version of many of the multiplatform titles, that it was simply too much work to be done to make a Wii version since a more simple downscale port wasnt possible.

Yep, it depends on how big of a leap PS4/Xbox 720 will take. From what the rumor says, the WiiU is basically in the PS3/Xbox 360 range of hardware power. If PS4/Xbox 720 takes a leap like we saw this generation, then the WiiU will be "previous gen" hardware in terms of power, like the Wii was. It all depends on how big this hardware leap is and how well prepared the developers are, and how they build their tools :) I think that the developers are more prepared this time.
"Same range" is pretty generous to PS360 when the credible rumors are saying about 3x the memory, a GPU at least 3 gens newer and a CPU based on Watson. It's like saying N64 and Dreamcast were in the "same range". Wii U will undoubtedly be the weakest next gen console, but it will still be next gen spec wise. Not really a Wii situation though, think more along the lines of PC Engine or Dreamcast.

trw

I wouldn't be too surprised if the difference between the next microsoft/sony consoles and the Wii U will be like the difference between PC and 360/PS3 now. You will definitely notice it but it won't be like 360/PS3 and the Wii.

farnham

Banned
i want to point out that third parties skipped on gamecube ports too despite the fact that there was no big sales gap between xbox and gc and gc had specs between ps2 and xbox. wii would have been shunned by third oarties even if it would have similar specs to 360, ps3

i want to point out that third parties skipped on gamecube ports too despite the fact that there was no big sales gap between xbox and gc and gc had specs between ps2 and xbox. wii would have been shunned by third oarties even if it would have similar specs to 360, ps3
I'd like to point out that Gamecube still got a whole hell of a lot more multiplatform games than Wii has though, despite selling like a fifth as much overall.

farnham

Banned
Initially maybe. I refuse to believe that if the Wii had been of similar power and - after 1-2 years - tens of millions of units ahead of the competition, they still wouldn't have supported it. That sounds too stupid even for video game company standards.

hey they rather make psp ports

thats right psp ports

Opiate

Nintendo's platforms have a variety of problems with third party games -- it isn't a single problem, and it isn't a grand conspiracy to hate Nintendo to death.

1) Sometimes, platform sales aren't great (Gamecube ran in to this problem)
2) Consistently have a slightly different demographic focus than PS/Xbox (Generally, Xbox/PS seem to focus very heavily on males, and particularly in the 16-24 age group. Nintendo consoles have a wider demographic that includes more women, more children, and more elderly. Kinect is also running in to this problem, and doesn't seem to be getting the software support it "deserves" based on unit sales).
3) Nintendo's unique platform design, while it facilitates new gaming mechanics, also makes third party ports more challenging.
4) A history of endemnity between third parties and Nintendo which is longlasting and, from what I can tell, not completely disappated. Peaked in the N64 era.

All of these are problems. The Wii did not have the first problem, but it definitely had the second problem in spades, the third problem in spades, and while it still suffered from the fourth problem, long term it likely helped alleviate those endemneties (we've seem some significant third party successes on the Wii, and from what I can see the historical antipathy between Nintendo and third parties is still extant but not quite as severe as it once was).

Consider the PS3 as a counterexample: it did suffer from the first problem (low sales), but focused very tightly on the demographics most major third parties target, and was an industry-standard platform (in terms of technical specifications) that used the industry standard controller, which allowed relatively easy ports from the Xbox or PC. Lastly, the PS3 benefitted hugely from a historically fantastic relationship between Sony and third parties.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo's platforms have a variety of problems with third party games -- it isn't a single problem, and it isn't a grand conspiracy to hate Nintendo to death.

1) Sometimes, platform sales aren't great (Gamecube ran in to this problem)
2) Consistently have a slightly different demographic focus than PS/Xbox (Generally, Xbox/PS seem to focus very heavily on males, and particularly in the 16-24 age group. Nintendo consoles have a wider demographic that includes more women, more children, and more elderly. Kinect is also running in to this problem, and doesn't seem to be getting the software support it "deserves" based on unit sales).
3) Nintendo's unique platform design, while it facilitates new gaming mechanics, also makes third party ports more challenging.
4) A history of endemnity between third parties and Nintendo which is longlasting and, from what I can tell, not completely disappated. Peaked in the N64 era.

All of these are problems. The Wii did not have the first problem, but it definitely had the second problem in spades, the third problem in spades, and while it still suffered from the fourth problem, long term it likely helped alleviate those endemneties (we've seem some significant third party successes on the Wii, and from what I can see the historical antipathy between Nintendo and third parties is still extant but not quite as severe as it once was).

Consider the PS3 as a counterexample: it did suffer from the first problem (low sales), but focused very tightly on the demographics most major third parties target, and was an industry-standard platform (in terms of technical specifications) that used the industry standard controller, which allowed relatively easy ports from the Xbox or PC. Lastly, the PS3 benefitted hugely from a historically fantastic relationship between Sony and third parties.

im not saying there is an emotional problem

there is just a structural incompatibility

what nintendo should do is to do M&A struggling thurd parties to secure IP and workforces

its better for them to strengthem their first party them relying on 3rd parties

Kenka

I don't know for you but it seems to me that Nintendo's policy in the last ten years of co-developing games with third-parties has proven to be vastly unsucessful, commercially-speaking. And the acquisition of Monolith hasn't been a bang either.

Maybe it is indeed time for them to truly listens to what third-parties want and hope in the next-gen ecosystem and blend it as good as possible in their vision.
CoD and TES next iterations must be on WiiU. Either this or Nintendo must make their current audience (that vastly shifted to iOS and Android) spend more.

disco

There isn't a grudge between third parties and Nintendo. Nintendo simply make incredible games that make buying third party games pretty pointless. Nintendo is trying to alleviate this issue on the 3DS by talking to publishers and planning who releases what where. Nintendo understands its own software drowns others out.

Nintendo just needs to sell alot of decent powered hardware that can be ported to and from the other machines easily from the get go. All their previous consoles with shitty third party support has had one or the other.

test_account

XP-39C²
"Same range" is pretty generous to PS360 when the credible rumors are saying about 3x the memory, a GPU at least 3 gens newer and a CPU based on Watson. It's like saying N64 and Dreamcast were in the "same range". Wii U will undoubtedly be the weakest next gen console, but it will still be next gen spec wise. Not really a Wii situation though, think more along the lines of PC Engine or Dreamcast.
Same range is not the right of word yeah, i'm not sure why i said it like that. It would be kinda crazy if the WiiU wasnt more powerful than ~7 year old hardware. But what i ment is that the difference between WiiU and the other new consoles might be quite big. Even the Wii is more powerful than the previous gen consoles.

But as mentioned, i'm positive about the porting situation about WiiU. I think that the developers are more prepared this time around. And they want to add as many SKUs to their game as possible, in hope to sell more games.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the difference between the next microsoft/sony consoles and the Wii U will be like the difference between PC and 360/PS3 now. You will definitely notice it but it won't be like 360/PS3 and the Wii.
It might be. The difference in hardware power between PS3/Xbox 360 and PC is quite huge though. Its just that not many PC developers takes full advantage of the PC.

enishi

Oh.. Vita...

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120118074/

01. [PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.12} (¥6.280) - 81,896
02. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 52,266/1,369,623
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 44,644/1,128,498
04. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 40,154/1,239,440
05. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 20,777/346,135
06. [PS3] Warriors Orochi 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2011.12.22} (¥7.800) - 20,409/336,925
07. [3DS] Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.01.12} (¥3.800) - 16,351
08. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 14,407/753,968
09. [3DS] Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.12} (¥5.800) - 12,819
10. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800) - 12,370/503,048

3DS 100,668
PS3 30,332
PSP 22,538
Vita 18,361
Wii 14,179
Xbox 360 1,519
DSi LL 1,515
DSi 1,206
PS2 766

Laguna

Banned
With a lineup this bad it´s no surprise that Vita isn´t selling. The memory card scam isn´t helping either. Atleast there is ToI a DS port to save Sonys *** next week.

Looking at this sales it´s really surprising how SQEX started the development of FFX last week, a testament to Wadas amazing business sense. ;) Way to go if you want to run the series even more to the ground. Ok, there still is a PS3 version...

test_account

XP-39C²
With a lineup this bad it´s no surprise that Vita isn´t selling. The memory card scam isn´t helping either. Atleast there is ToI a DS port to save Sonys *** next week.

Looking at this sales it´s really surprising how SQEX started the development of FFX last week, a testament to Wadas amazing business sense. ;) Way to go if you want to run the series even more to the ground. Ok, there still is a PS3 version...
Why the hyperbole? Scam? Started developement last week?

donny2112

it isn't a grand conspiracy to hate Nintendo to death.

It may not be industry-wide, but that sentiment is there, particularly with the Wii.

GameCube was an also ran for third-parties last generation, so they didn't even consider "Revolution" to be on their radars. They built up their expertise and job worth based on their ability to handle high-end graphics and use the latest tools in that space. When Wii took off, it directly threatened what they had built-up as their "hook" for next-gen. Combined with the GameCube architecture which is not directly exploitable with common PC development tools, and you have an outlier disparate to their goals/measure of worth and dominating the market. It is totally reasonable to believe that many would thus look at the Wii and "hate" it as it threatened their livelihood and what they valued.

PS2 says no. PS2 had those "extra" demographics, too, and it still had the support of the third-party industry.

There were developer comments in the PS2 era about how they'd bend over backwards to make a game work on the PS2 to get access to that buying public. Yes, GameCube's 1.5GB discs and Wii's focus on non-traditional controls provided speedbumps to getting games to the Wii, but the much bigger reason was the tech difference. This extends mostly to the inability to directly port to the system to begin with, though that "why are we going backwards" personal distaste discussed above probably came in for some, as well.

At what point will this not be a reason? Seriously. If 3DS/Wii U sell great and have terrific third-party support and the 3DS 2/Wii U2 don't have great third-party support, this will probably come up again as a reason.

History isn't the primary reason. Right now is much more of a reason. If Nintendo's not willing to do what Microsoft/Sony is to get the game onto their platform (assuming equal porting costs), then the reason it wouldn't come to Nintendo isn't the past but the present. I doubt there's too many executives around who still feel hurt by Nintendo's NES third-party stranglehold tactics.

If Wii U is easily portable from PS360 and PS360-2, then it will not be history or unique platform design/strategy or different demographics that would keep games off the system. It would be Nintendo's willingness to "encourage" the big-sellers onto the system (i.e. "umbrella" games) to start the ball rolling and then the sales of those games that would determine whether more of those types of games came or not.

There were developer comments in the PS2 era about how they'd bend over backwards to make a game work on the PS2 to get access to that buying public.
You might be thinking about this quote, which I like well enough I made sure to put it within easy reach last time I found it:

"My point is, if the PlayStation 2 is going to sell as many hardware units as the PlayStation 1 sold, then I don't care if I have to pierce my nails with pins to get it to work, I'm going to do it because that's where the money is. And that's the attitude we go into every game with." - Jason Rubin, 2000 or earlier (found the quote in a late 2000 article)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
let's see, it features one of the most liked video game character, the game is absolutely fantastic and it was released on the best selling platform.

might be some kind of magic i guess?

Yes, 2D Marios unsurprisingly, sell like gangbusters. But the last 3D Mario that I remember selling anywhere near this well in Japan was Super Mario 64.

Top Bottom