• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

Road

For the new thread:

iM64dJmxS337C.png

iXYUgcNW1sD6t.png

ibhh5ULmq4eEEw.png

EDarkness

Baffling. Either arrogance or development problems-Iwata specifically said they were able to hold back their own software since Western 3rd parties had good support at launch.

Apparently there's a problem somewhere, because going so long without any new games is crazy as hell. The guys running Nintendo these days make my head hurt with their decisions.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
We're quick to jump onto panic mode again but Wii U is in the same situation 3DS was - lots of room to drop the price and create some space between the competitors' consoles when they launch.

The price cut may have been a desperate move for 3DS, but I think it's built into the plan this time.

We're quick to jump onto panic mode again but Wii U is in the same situation 3DS was - lots of room to drop the price and create some space between the competitors' consoles when they lost.

The price cut may have been a desperate move for 3DS, but I think it's built into the plan this time.

The basic model is basically the price of the original Wii in Japan. There's very little room to fall, I imagine.

Anth0ny

BOMBA

Wonder how long til they drop the price + ambassador program. NOTHING is coming in the foreseeable future to bring that number up.

watershed

Banned
We're quick to jump onto panic mode again but Wii U is in the same situation 3DS was - lots of room to drop the price and create some space between the competitors' consoles when they lost.

You really think Nintendo intended for this result? They just had their first annual loss ever I believe, we know the Wii U is already being sold at a loss, a price drop will increase the loss and the lack of software will mute any impact of a price cut. I don't think this is part of any plan Nintendo has.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The system doesn't need a price cut, it needs games and hype. Something to look forward to. A price cut alone won't help.
Exactly.

What is interesting in this situation, though, is that nintendo must be painfully well aware of this themselves, yet they did nothing to mitigate it. I mean, you can sell only so many units on NSMBU and NL alone, with ZombiU not posed to do much of an impact in Japan, being new IP and all. It's as if they've reached a production bottleneck and would rather keep their scarce ammo for the battle later this year.

test_account

XP-39C²

I'm not sure there is a lot of room to do a pricedrop if they're already selling it for around production costs. Unless Nintendo wants to take a loss for each sold WiiU of course, it is possible that they will do this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I'm not so sure Nintendo has a lot of room. The Wii U isn't as overpriced as the 3DS was and Nintendo's mindshare in the console business is way lower than in the handheld business. Also the 3DS didn't fare as bad as the Wii U is. Well, I will still get my Nintendo games on Wii U, this just means I'm definitely forced to buy a new Xbox, too, when that is coming >.>.

This is why the Wii U not being sold out mattered. Not being sold out, it's going to follow the typical post holiday pattern. Same thing will happen in the US where the 1Q sales are going to resemble the PS3 and not the 360 or Wii.

beje

Banned
Baffling. Either arrogance or development problems-Iwata specifically said they were able to hold back their own software since Western 3rd parties had good support at launch.

If that means they're effectively holding finished stuff back, I hope they go into full panic mode like... right now and announce something for Februray ASAP. I'll start worrying if we don't have a Nintendo Direct in 2 weeks. This is probably the first time I've ever seen a japanese console with better and more varied launch support in the West that in the domestic market.

The message here is that Nintendo really thought they could piggyback new hardware sales on NSMB and a Monster Hunter HD port for 4 months straight. Well, they were wrong.

stilgar

Those were Iwata's words, roughly, and frankly Western support at launch was pretty decent I think.

Actually, you're right : launch line-up was ok. But certainly not ok enough to sustain these months of drought.

There's something I don't get : the syste which came right before the Wii U, Vita, is painfully bombing since months, because of an extended period whithout any notable releases (I know it's debatable). And Nintendo don't think they'll follow its fate?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Was the revelation about Wii U selling at a loss ever repeated by Iwata or was it just Reggie? Given the makeup of the hardware I find it hard to believe it could stay that way for a significant amount of time, if it ever was, despite the controller accessory.

AOC83

Banned
What other consoles? Last gen system? I guess PS4 and Xbox3 should launch at $99 or less then?

What do you think? Maybe the two that offer a way better package for less money? The WiiU in it´s current state isn´t worth a cent more than 360/PS3.

AzaK

In all fairness, Wii U is technically unimpressive and it's not delivering much of a promise (neither in games nor innovation) so far, other than off-TV play (which not all games support).
Ill say that the GamePad is awesome but its just not easy to sell in this day and age. It doesn't look innovative on the surface as we all see tablets and other touch devices regularly. But yes, lower end tech also means you don't have that as a selling point. Nintendo put all hope for marketing on the GamePad.

Dunno what demo kiosks are like in Japan but I saw one here for the first time yesterday. Just a stupid carousel of games on the touch screen and only two of them had demos. There was nothing telling you how cool the Wii U was and showing off the tv remote, off tv play and other features that set it apart from just a tablet. It was fucking awful.

Top Bottom