• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

How is the hype for the PS4 in Japan? Do people here expect it to maybe revive console sales there or for it to be more of a niche product like the WiiU?

Myshkin

on 1 week obviously...or gaikai which is both stupid.

It's hard for Vita to go down, so it's pretty LDO that it'll go up YOY.

(PS4 launch will help. JP PS+ offerings used to be crummy, but last I checked they revamped them to pretty decent, so that is a weight that just accumulates. Vita is still the best hardware until Nintendo comes out with a 4DS.)

Lol what a weird thing to say.

Edit: reminds me of people getting mad at trackers for counting WiiPlay lol.

Not really. Without bundles those games wouldn't be posting a fraction of the sales they are getting now. Its disingenuous to think WiiU software is suddenly selling.

There is no love for Lightning here. The reason I question the budgets for LR and the remasters is simple. FFX HD was developed over a longer period of time and seemed trapped in some development snafus. LR unfortunately seemed developed too quickly and without the polish. And XBOX 360 is not a viable platform in Japan, at least compared to Vita.

LR had a dev cycle of 1.5 years. FFX HD has had one of 2 years iirc. Not much difference especially when you consider the marketing, and number of staff behind LR in comparison to FFX HD. Also it was outsourced so dev costs were probably much cheaper than SE devs.

How is the hype for the PS4 in Japan? Do people here expect it to maybe revive console sales there or for it to be more of a niche product like the WiiU?

Much better than WiiU lol. I expect it do PS3 numbers and possibly higher.

AmanoBuff

I think it speaks less to how much LR cost to make as it does that FFX/X2 HD shouldn't have cost this much/taken as much time to make at all. No one was surprised when Zelda: Windwaker HD took only 6 months, even with the additions/changes made to the game. And it's because it's was an HD remaster.

I for one am baffled how, even with the addition of X-2 to the package, how it could take so long to produce. The only plausible explanations I can think of are.

1) S-E project management is garbage
2) Development didn't start until a year or so after it's announcement
3) Both 1) and 2).

This comparison was already mentioned a few months ago in another MC thread iirc. There is simply no way you can compare the Zelda WW HD project with the FFX/X-2 one.

Basically, the FFX/X-2 project is not just an HD port, it is a remaster with upgraded models and remastered OST. Each of those FF games is also way larger than Zelda WW.

As I mentioned before. The real mistake here was SQEX announcing it way too early. I don't recall hearing of any development issues or major slowdowns.

I'm glad Puzzle and Dragons Z met expectations. That pretty much means they aren't going to back off their plans to bring it to the West. I've wanted to try P&D for a while but don't have anything to play it on. >_>

This comparison was already mentioned a few months ago in another MC thread iirc. There is simply no way you can compare the Zelda WW HD project with the FFX/X-2 one.

Basically, the FFX/X-2 project is not just an HD port, it is a remaster with upgraded models and remastered OST. Each of those FF games is also way larger than Zelda WW.

As I mentioned before. The real mistake here was SQEX announcing it way too early. I don't recall hearing of any development issues or major slowdowns.

Pretty much. SE did a ton of work on the game itself, models, music, ui, text, etc. Really surprised how well it turned out.

muu

I'm glad Puzzle and Dragons Z met expectations. That pretty much means they aren't going to back off their plans to bring it to the West. I've wanted to try P&D for a while but don't have anything to play it on. >_>

So you're one of them Windows Phone users?

Nice to see PDZ doing well, however I'd like to see Gungho get off their ass and get something new started.

fred

Nintendo should release a January Wii U Direct to sustain the Wii U sales.

I'm expecting one just before or just after the investor's meeting at the end of the month revealing the reason why both Iwata and Patcher both gave what looks like ridiculous sales forecasts this financial year. My money would be on a Wii U Pokemon with NFC cards/figurines. That combined with the console ban being lifted in China will be a licence to print money.

For those that dabble in the stock market now would be a great time to buy Nintendo shares.

RalchAC

So you're one of them Windows Phone users?

Nice to see PDZ doing well, however I'd like to see Gungho get off their ass and get something new started.

I think in Europe it's only released in iOS (I tried to download it with my Spanish Google Play account, I have a Nexus 7 and a shitty Sony Ericson phone, i wasn't able to do it).

And I want to give it a try and see why there is such a craze around the game. But not enough to bypass the region lock (you can download it on the US on Android systems).

42 million sellers for Famicom :eek: holy shit
NES has still the highest software sales of any Nintendo platform in Japan.

NES: 225.860.000
NDS: 212.310.000
SNES: 194.850.000

PS1 has 286.000.000 units but this includes Asia.
Furthermore, it's listed as "Production Shipments of Software".

I'm expecting one just before or just after the investor's meeting at the end of the month revealing the reason why both Iwata and Patcher both gave what looks like ridiculous sales forecasts this financial year. My money would be on a Wii U Pokemon with NFC cards/figurines. That combined with the console ban being lifted in China will be a licence to print money.

For those that dabble in the stock market now would be a great time to buy Nintendo shares.

Wait, what was Pachter's prediction?6million?

Very good news for Vita. Starting the year healthy sales wise.

Sony really needs to get on the phone with some japanese developers and say something like, " alright guys, we have momentum building for the Vita platform, we can work together to make sure you are still profitable. Let's just get some big third party games out! "

I would be on the phone quickly with Capcom working out a deal to get Monster Hunter 4 onto the system by the summer, and working with Square Enix to get some Dragon Quest onto the system.

Then work with GungHo to build a version of Puzzle and Dragons : Battle Tournament to the Vita as the widescreen layout of the Vita is perfectly suited for the new board style of that new Arcade game ( which looks awesome btw ). Lines were what, 2-3 hours long to try that out in Japan arcades recently?

Get those 3 titles onto the system, build on the momentum and you will start seeing more and more devs sending titles to the platform as WW sales rise and rise.

Oh and for some who say this is what usually happens. Says right there the LYTD was only 31,000. So during this time period, the Vita sold 31,000 last year. Big difference.

Very good news for Vita. Starting the year healthy sales wise.

Sony really needs to get on the phone with some japanese developers and say something like, " alright guys, we have momentum building for the Vita platform, we can work together to make sure you are still profitable. Let's just get some big third party games out! "

I would be on the phone quickly with Capcom working out a deal to get Monster Hunter 4 onto the system by the summer, and working with Square Enix to get some Dragon Quest onto the system.

Then work with GungHo to build a version of Puzzle and Dragons : Battle Tournament to the Vita as the widescreen layout of the Vita is perfectly suited for the new board style of that new Arcade game ( which looks awesome btw ). Lines were what, 2-3 hours long to try that out in Japan arcades recently?

Get those 3 titles onto the system, build on the momentum and you will start seeing more and more devs sending titles to the platform as WW sales rise and rise.

It's so easy. Just get on the phone and secure the three hottest 3rd party properties in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm surprised people took you seriously. >_<

In these days, it's quite difficult to understand if someone's joking or if he's serious.
Unfortunately for humanity, AzaK's serious. :lol

Wii U, 1st Holiday:

Code:
Week 49, 2012	1	12/3/2012	308,570
Week 50, 2012	2	12/10/2012	130,653
[B]Week 51, 2012	3	12/17/2012	122,356
Week 52, 2012	4	12/24/2012	76,760
Week 1, 2013	5	12/31/2012	70,662[/B]
Week 2, 2013	6	1/7/2013	21,489
Week 3, 2013	7	1/14/2013	16,635
Week 4, 2013	8	1/21/2013	12,335
Week 5, 2013	9	1/28/2013	11,714
Week 6, 2013	10	2/4/2013	11,092
Week 7, 2013	11	2/11/2013	10,167
Week 8, 2013	12	2/18/2013	9,495
Week 9, 2013	13	2/25/2013	9,528
Week 10, 2013	14	3/4/2013	9,089

Wii U, 2nd Holiday:

Code:
Week 49, 2013	53	12/2/2013	46,773
Week 50, 2013	54	12/9/2013	72,982
[B]Week 51, 2013	55	12/16/2013	119,159
Week 52, 2013	56	12/23/2013	79,174
Week 1, 2014	57	12/30/2013	60,548[/B]

The Wii U is starting to track behind the launch period with Week 1, 2014 tracking 10K behind Week 1, 2013. This does not bode well for the imminent Week 2 drop.

Can you add Week 52's thread to the OP? :) I know Chris didn't make it, but it still counts and is very helpful (and well done).

Here's the link:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746506

Or if you don't put in Week 52's in the Week 01 thread, you would put the whole 2013 link in the OP IIRC, It's pretty empty right now.

Also, I've been looking at Taiko Wii U's data:

15./00. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 17.518 / NEW <0-20%>
26./15. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 7.747 / 25.265 <20-40%> (-56%)
27./26. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 7.996 / 33.261 <20-40%> (+3%)
19./27. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 14.650 / 47.911 <20-40%> (+83%)
18./19. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 25.961 / 73.872 <40-60%> (+77%)
20./18. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 22.204 / 96.076 <40-60%> (-14%)
16./20. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) - 21.441 / 117.517 <60-80%> (-3%)

And I'm piecing together that the shipment was 125k, so unless Namco Bandai already sent another shipment, next week may not exceed 7,483 which would be a big drop. Hopefully Namco Bandai can keep the good momentum going.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
In these days, it's quite difficult to understand if someone's joking or if he's serious.
Unfortunately for humanity, AzaK's serious. :lol

I came a cropper to that last year of course :/ No more totally steeped and what I would have hoped was obvious sarcasm from me, no sir.

Maedhros

You were actually right. Remember this post?

I made the post after people posted that Wii U wouldn't have games on January. Not that I want the Wii U to sell sub 10k, I was saying that it's possible on a platform where's nothing is getting released.

Bruno MB

Can you add Week 52's thread to the OP? :) I know Chris didn't make it, but it still counts and is very helpful (and well done).

Here's the link:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746506

Or if you don't put in Week 52's in the Week 01 thread, you would put the whole 2013 link in the OP IIRC, It's pretty empty right now.

Also, I've been looking at Taiko Wii U's data:

And I'm piecing together that the shipment was 125k, so unless Namco Bandai already sent another shipment, next week may not exceed 7,483 which would be a big drop. Hopefully Namco Bandai can keep the good momentum going.

Taiko Wii U has been constantly getting new shipments during the holiday season. Namco Bandai titles hardly ever have supply problems :p

AzaK

You have issues, seriously :lol

It's all I have left - I'm out of options :) It's the only way I see change coming. Total failure of Wii U is all the hope we have that Nintendo gets their shit together. Crappy generation with mediocre sales will not do it. As soon as Nintendo gets a month of OK Wii U sales they will say they were justified in everything they're doing.

And yes I have issues - with Nintendo's handling of Wii U.

It's all I have left - I'm out of options :) It's the only way I see change coming. Total failure of Wii U is all the hope we have that Nintendo gets their shit together. Crappy generation with mediocre sales will not do it. As soon as Nintendo gets a month of OK Wii U sales they will say they were justified in everything they're doing.

As I already asked SmokeyDave in another thread, how is this supposed to work?

Nintendo makes record losses in a theoretical "total failure" and then they invest record money to create a perfect system?

They probably get even more catious to not loose any cent.

Total failure could have many repercussions, including a reality where Nintendo no longer produces home consoles. It's an incredibly dangerous strategy that could have the company whisked in a number of unpredictable directions...we want to avoid that at all costs.

Riki

Total failure of anything in business never leads to some magical turn around, especially not the one you want.
They would double down on cheap systems and games that sell and take even less risks.

As I already asked SmokeyDave in another thread, how is this supposed to work?

Nintendo makes record losses in a theoretical "total failure" and then they invest record money to create a perfect system?

They probably get even more catious to not loose any cent.

The failure of the Gamecube didn't make them more cautious. They took a big risk with the Wii concept.

I can see the argument where a continuing Wii U failure forces management and structural changes. Whether or not those are beneficial to someone's individual preferences is up in the air.

Personally, I just hope 3D World hits an iceberg and tanks.

Riki

The failure of the Gamecube didn't make them more cautious. They took a big risk with the Wii concept.

I can see the argument where a continuing Wii U failure forces management and structural changes. Whether or not those are beneficial to someone's individual preferences is up in the air.

Thankfully you're the only one.

TaiKH92

Banned
Pokemon X/Y finally passed 4 million and it's still going strong.

I hope the WiiU doesn't drop that much next week.

I'm really looking forward to see PS4's first week next month.

The failure of the GameCube put Iwata's career on thin ice.

Luckily, the retired Yamauchi heavily vouched for the Wii and the DS (he co-developed the ideas for the consoles) as the solutions to Nintendo's woes, so Nintendo was able to get 100% on board with a brand new strategy...and that strategy paid off ten-fold.

With Yamauchi no longer with us, there is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee that total failure will cause the company to produce changes that will ultimately be beneficial to us or another non-conservative risk like the Wii / DS.

It could more likely take us in directions that we dread (like mobile gaming), or it could very well lead the company to be more cautious.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Total failure could have many repercussions, including a reality where Nintendo no longer produces home consoles. It's an incredibly dangerous strategy that could have the company whisked in a number of unpredictable directions...we want to avoid that at all costs.
Right, the issue here is that Nintendo's culture at its core involves doing things differently, even on topics when they shouldn't.

If the issue was just one bad CEO who was holding back all these business paragons who could flip a switch and solve everything, sure, forcing them out would fix a lot.

In reality, this isn't the case in the vast, vast majority of troubled companies. Change needs to come from within the company as they either find what they can do well that matches the market, or float away into irrelevance.

It's like when people hoped that Square Enix would have a few bombs, force out Yoichi Wada, and everything would be wonderful. We can sit here today and see that's not the case and they're still randomly throwing projects in every direction trying to find things that work, except now they take notably less creative risks while doing so.

However, I don't think Nintendo has much of a choice in this matter at this point and will have to decide on some large scale changes if they want to remain a relevant player. And by that, I don't mean an executive shuffle, but actual core strategy changes on at least the console front.

It's gonna stay a failure, but I am too a little worried Iwata and his friends might draw the wrong conclusions again just because that Wii U Party thing wasn't a total flop for once :/

Total failure of anything in business never leads to some magical turn around, especially not the one you want.
They woukd double down on cheap systems and games that sell and take even less risks.

A generation of marketleadership has apparently lead to total incompetence among the higher ups, which have now delivered the worst Nintendo machine since the Virtual Boy. So hoping for a huge slap for their pathetic showing that is the WiiU seems like the appropriate thing to do. Encouraging a huge amount of mistakes which can only come from years of false decisions is not.
The WiiU is a lost cause anyway, but we need major shakeups asap so the next console can be good again.

image.php

That's cold,

Top Bottom