• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The way things look like not even PSV will reach PS3's numbers. Nothing sort of a miracle is needed for PS4 to reach these numbers. And I'm one one of the relative optimistic guys regarding PS4's future in japan.

well, actually, I'm looking at PS4 to beat Vita's LTD in Japan.
I know that Japan is into the portable side more than everything else, but it seems also clear that PS4 is the reference for the home market, has tons of support from third parties, from big hits (KH3, MGSV, FFXV, and maybe a DQ?) to valuable spinoff or medium games (Persona5, DQH, God eater 2...)

I know: thse are not exclusive, because are coming also to:
Xbone: completely insignificant, irrelevant in Japan
PS3: it has a bigger install base, but it is also less active (as a hardware) than PS4, and we saw that time passing, also the multiplat PSP/Vita or PS3/Vita did a good transition

Time. It won't have the 8 years to sell, even if it does start selling like the PS3, which given the market contraction isn't likely to begin with.

why? are we sure that the brand new consoels will last less on the market? why so?
not a provocative question, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Asd202

IMO there's a chance that at the same time next year PS4 will be about the same as WiiU LTD maybe even already pass it but that really depends how many games are coming out later this year.

I'm struggling to understand GTAV everywhere. The remaster sales have served me a ton of crow. I was one of the "it is just a remaster, the game already sold a gazillion copies, only a small hardcore group will double dip".

BTW, where's that PS3 number from? I have

[360] Grand Theft Auto V {2013-10-10} - 26,612 / 38,220
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V {2013-10-10} - 360,115 / 778,762
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price] {2014-06-26} - 6,732 / 63,395
[PS4] Grand Theft Auto V {2014-12-11} - 81,659 / 135,665

Total = 1,016,042.

Missing Xbox One sales, downloads, and PS3 and 360 numbers are old.

Not anymore, really. At this point in time, both PS3 and PS4 had one holiday season, so the release factor doesn't make much difference (if anything, it favors the PS4).

Unless you mean the launch timing of games....

Japanltdrank.

So would that make GTAV the first Western IP to reach 1 million sales since Crash Bandicoot?

Oregano

lol

you are joking right?

No, why would I be?

Nintendo too actually, for a reason. Media Create is a dedicated data tracking firm. Famitsu isn't. It's normal that their data is more accurate.

I'm not disagreeing but I think that distinction means little. It's not like Famitsu's are Chartz.

We don 't know if Sony used Media Create or internal estimates. Actually I don't even know if Media Create report for week 1 was out when Sony claimed 1 million.

Businesses have access to that information before public release. Nintendo has put out PR based on Media Create numbers days early.

Atram

I expect it to break 2M earlier than it did 1M. The boosts from Bloodborne, FFXV demo, DQH etc will kinda mitigate the sales from launch last year and overall I think it'll have a higher baseline with more frequent and better sw releases. Also there's surely going to be a price cut this year.

So 1 Mio new sold PS4 in fewer than 9 Months in Japan? I don´t think so

Road

Japanltdrank.

Ah, ok. Japanltdrank users Famitsu, but you put the Media Create number for PS4, so I was confused.

So would that make GTAV the first Western IP to reach 1 million sales since Crash Bandicoot?

As far as tracked sales go I have:

Famitsu [PS1] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped {1998-12-17} - 294,718 / 917,105

But CB3 shipment is 1.5 million; CB2, 1.33 million: http://geimin.net/da/db/m_domestic/index.php (ctrl+f クラッシュ)

allan-bh

Businesses have access to that information before public release. Nintendo has put out PR based on Media Create numbers days early.

Week ends sunday, so at the best case I suppose subscribers see data on tuesday.

Anyway we don't know what Sony based to claimed 1 million.

08./05. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.12.18} (¥6.264) - 26.616 / 238.820 <80-100%> (-45%)

250k are a lock for FFEX and 300k might be even achievable if it doesn't completely collapse after holidays.

09./23. [3DS] One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.13} (¥6.145) - 16.981 / 98.210 <60-80%> (+58%)
16./15. [3DS] Aikatsu! 365-Hi no Idol Days <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.12.04} (¥5.627) - 11.487 / 96.867 <60-80%> (-31%)
17./20. [3DS] Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Chara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.11.27} (¥5.626) - 10.839 / 55.546 <60-80%> (-13%)
18./19. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.12.04} (¥5.378) - 10.628 / 65.209 <80-100%> (-15%)
19./12. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184) - 9.474 / 85.014 <80-100%> (-51%)
21./00. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264) - 9.125 / 113.800 <60-80%>

Derby Stallion and One Piece did well under holidays even with a disappointing debut. All these games should crack the 100k mark sooner or later. Sumikko Gareshi is the new 3DS sleeper-hit, after all ;)

12./13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 14.550 / 4.263.982 <80-100%> (-25%)
15./18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 11.862 / 2.367.136 <80-100%> (-9%)
22./29. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 7.977 / 1.714.242 <80-100%> (+10%)
24./21. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.119) - 7.653 / 244.109 <80-100%> (-32%)
26./25. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 6.583 / 694.540 <80-100%> (-22%)
27./26. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800) - 5.999 / 473.934 <80-100%> (-27%)

3DS evergreen titles really show their strength under holidays. In particular, Mario Kart 7 at its 3rd year in the market, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf in its 2nd year are amazing.

30./00. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) - 5.825 / 152.414 <80-100%>

I would have never imagined to see PS Nova struggling to reack the 150k mark. We still don't have digital sales, but 200k might seem difficult to achieve at this point.

I am pleased to say that I contributed +1 to those New 3DS sales and those Yokai Watch Shinuchi sales on Monday.

Being in Japan over the last week or so, I've realised just how popular Yokai Watch is. It's insane that I'm seeing it almost as much as Pokemon, if not more. Merchandise sections in every 7/11, every souvenir store, every toy store, ads all over TV and the Metro.

Hell I was walking past a Mochi shop and one of the staff was wearing a funny Jibanyan hat and the kids were loving it. From my experience, it seems to be as popular as Pokemon at the moment, or at least close. I just wonder how long it will take Level 5 to fuck this one up like they did LBX and Inazuma Eleven.

Congrats on PS4 for passing 1 million too! Pretty decent and I imagine there should be a decent upswing this year with releases like Bloodborne, Type 0 and DQ Musou.

I keep reading people wondering when L5 will fuck up YW as well, mentioning IE and LBX. I think that you have to realize that those were way smaller IPs. Inazuma Eleven sold 400k with the first entry, and was million seller with the following two entries; it went down to 450k with the first 3DS game and then down again to 300k with the sixth game. As you can see, IE was big but not that big, and the last entry still sold 1/3 of the peak; sales were probably highly affected by the change of platform (similarly with Layton that went from 700k with the Last Spect on DS to 400k with the Miracle Mask on 3DS). LBX was never as big to begin with; the first entry sold around 400k units, but the second one already declined to less than 200k; expansions sold well (200k on PSP and 190k on 3DS) though. If YW will decline at the same rate, it could still be a million seller. But YW is a way bigger phenomenon right now, and I would is the biggest kids-oriented IPs since Pokémon (Yu-Gi-Oh did not reach the same sales). So all comparisons start really to look a bit silly.

Attack on Titan - 297,580
Attack on Titan: Chain - 65,209

Once again we have to question how "trashy" Attack on Titan really is.

Sales are good, legs are good, reviews are good, the expansion is selling more than expected...
za4agFr.gif

Indeed. Of course the game also sold on its name, but it had long legs, and the expansion is selling well too so probably is not as bad as many try to spin.

Abriael

Banned
I think and probably I've also read it in this topic (or the previous one) that both Nintendo and Sony uses MC numbers (they are subscribers) and the subscribers got the info earlier

Subscribers get the info at the same time as we do, because we get them from subscribers. Media Create posts its numbers publicly on Saturday.

sörine;146497742 said:
This is a ridiculous conclusion.

With which Nintendo seems to agree, since they use Media Create data themselves.

allan-bh

It's not like Famitsu's are Chartz.

Of course it isn't. Famitsu is a good tracker, but why Nintendo and Sony chosen Media Create? It is to think.

I'm not saying Media Create is the best, but it is a company dedicated to the business of tracking sales, unlike Famitsu.

duckroll

I'm struggling to understand GTAV everywhere. The remaster sales have served me a ton of crow. I was one of the "it is just a remaster, the game already sold a gazillion copies, only a small hardcore group will double dip".

GTA is a really interesting case study because it's very rare case of a heavily core-centric game franchise actually growing significantly with a new entry. In the past if we look at GTA3 all the way through to GTA4 Complete Collection, the series generally performed well in Japan, but seems to max out at around 500k for main entries, counting discounted re-releases. The series peaked at Vice City, and declined after that, which also aligns with the decline of the PS2 and the troubled early years of the PS3.

Yet we're looking at GTA5 not only bucking the trend, but pretty much doubling the best historical results in the franchise. Really impressive.

#teamdengeki
why? are we sure that the brand new consoels will last less on the market? why so?
not a provocative question, I'm just trying to figure it out.
Gen 7 was a particularly long gen essentially out of necessity in order to recoup as much as possible, probably too long given the rapid last gen collapse being seen globally.

These devices however aren't really cutting edge loss leaders.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
#teamdengeki

Gen 7 was a particularly long gen essentially out of necessity in order to recoup as much as possible, probably too long given the rapid last gen collapse being seen globally.

These devices however aren't really cutting edge loss leaders.

I agree with this point of view.
so basically PS4 could repeat PS3 "success" in Japan, in terms of pace, but not reaching its ltd because of a shorter life cycle.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
GTA is a really interesting case study because it's very rare case of a heavily core-centric game franchise actually growing significantly with a new entry. In the past if we look at GTA3 all the way through to GTA4 Complete Collection, the series generally performed well in Japan, but seems to max out at around 500k for main entries, counting discounted re-releases. The series peaked at Vice City, and declined after that, which also aligns with the decline of the PS2 and the troubled early years of the PS3.

Yet we're looking at GTA5 not only bucking the trend, but pretty much doubling the best historical results in the franchise. Really impressive.

Indeed it is. I wonder what caused this fantastic result? Has it been the more present marketing work from Rockstar in Japan? Having more space to grow given the much lower competition compared to PS2 days? A sum of several factors like the two I've just mentioned? Or what else?

The result is really good. Western games have had their niche of customers since PS1. But I don't think it's out of the ordinary to see such a performance; Call of Duty peaked at amost 400k on PS3, and plenty of games between 100k and 400k are from Western companies. To me, it seems that PS3 (and PS4 too) is particularly strong in having attracted (or created...?) gamers that buy Western games; GTAV is "simply" the most important Western games of the last generation, as it was over here.

so basically PS4 could repeat PS3 "success" in Japan, in terms of pace, but not reaching its ltd because of a shorter life cycle.
I'd say the likelihood of repeating pace is also low - matching the PS3's annual sales, outside of its late gen numbers or 2008 annus horribilis, currently seems a pretty tall order.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow, just realised Nintendo had 17 games in the Top 20.
And among these Smash and MK8 have good legs. Wii U needs another big hit like that. I wonder what game between Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon and Mario Maker has the most sales potential in Japan.

Oregano

Subscribers get the info at the same time as we do, because we get them from subscribers. Media Create posts its numbers publicly on Saturday.

With which Nintendo seems to agree, since they use Media Create data themselves.

Square Enix used Chartz numbers in a presentation so again it doesn't necessarily mean they are more accurate.

Of course it isn't. Famitsu is a good tracker, but why Nintendo and Sony chosen Media Create? It is to think.

I'm not saying Media Create is the best, but it is a company dedicated to the business of tracking sales, unlike Famitsu.

It's a meaningless distinction. Nintendo is a company dedicated to the business of video game entertainment, unlike Sony. It makes very little difference.

In fact until recently Nintendo actually had their own point of sale tracking firm in the US. They had many customers, including Sony.

Ah, ok. Japanltdrank users Famitsu, but you put the Media Create number for PS4, so I was confused.

As far as tracked sales go I have:

Famitsu [PS1] Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped {1998-12-17} - 294,718 / 917,105

But CB3 shipment is 1.5 million; CB2, 1.33 million: http://geimin.net/da/db/m_domestic/index.php (ctrl+f &#12463;&#12521;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;)

Oh right. Is there a similar site that uses Media Create numbers. I'm going over to team MC.

According to ND, http://web.archive.org/web/20080729045219/www.naughtydog.com/crash/crash/timeline.htm

Crash 3 was the first Western IP to get the Platinum prize (1 million sales).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd say the likelihood of repeating pace is also low - matching the PS3's annual sales, outside of its late gen numbers or 2008 annus horribilis, currently seems a pretty tall order.

do you know PS3 yearly sales? sorry, but I'm curious.
what do you think of PS4 able to beat Vita's LTD in Japan, instead?

30./00. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) - 5.825 / 152.414 <80-100%>

I would have never imagined to see PS Nova struggling to reack the 150k mark. We still don't have digital sales, but 200k might seem difficult to achieve at this point.

Don't have any numbers, but each physical copy of the game coming with a 30% discount code for a digital. I'm pretty comfortable in saying it's surpassed 200k with digital.

duckroll

The result is really good. Western games have had their niche of customers since PS1. But I don't think it's out of the ordinary to see such a performance; Call of Duty peaked at amost 400k on PS3, and plenty of games between 100k and 400k are from Western companies. To me, it seems that PS3 (and PS4 too) is particularly strong in having attracted (or created...?) gamers that buy Western games; GTAV is "simply" the most important Western games of the last generation, as it was over here.

Western games doing well isn't out of the ordinary, what happened with GTA5 absolutely is though. I don't see how anyone can say it isn't. CoD games follow the standard performance I mentioned - they start selling well at some point, sequels do better, and then it peaks and starts to decline. That's the expected performance of any core-centric franchise, even Japanese ones. Seeing a new entry suddenly explode like this is very, very unusual, but I agree that it is definitely good for the industry too, because it shows it is possible to have hits like this. I guess the trick is figuring out why it happened and how more publishers can take advantage of that. It's something the console market in Japan is in desperate need of.

They were posted in the last thread.

Range from about 1.2-1.7 million, outside of the 900-something K in 2008.

I think both the Vita and PS4 will end up close. If I were to hazard a guess neither much over 5M or so.

Endo Punk

Hope games like Yakuza 0 and other cross platform games perform significantly better on PS4 so we can drop the PS3 as a viable platform for Japanese developers.

Abriael

Banned
It's a meaningless distinction. Nintendo is a company dedicated to the business of video game entertainment, unlike Sony. It makes very little difference.

Actually, Sony Computer Entertainment is a company dedicated to the business of video game entertainment.

250k are a lock for FFEX and 300k might be even achievable if it doesn't completely collapse after holidays.

Derby Stallion and One Piece did well under holidays even with a disappointing debut. All these games should crack the 100k mark sooner or later. Sumikko Gareshi is the new 3DS sleeper-hit, after all ;)

Yeah, Final Fantasy Explorers has done really well. I wasn't expecting it to have as strong legs as this, even with the holidays. Derby Stallion has done well for what it is in this day and age too.

Oregano

Actually, Sony Computer Entertainment is a company dedicated to the business of video game entertainment.

Right, but are you trying to suggest the guys at Famitsu estimate sales in between accepting moneyhats in exchange for review scores?

Yeah, Final Fantasy Explorers has done really well. I wasn't expecting it to have as strong legs as this, even with the holidays. Derby Stallion has done well for what it is in this day and age too.

I think it's legs haven't been amazing or anything but it seems the negative reception hasn't slowed it down as much as expected.

Western games doing well isn't out of the ordinary, what happened with GTA5 absolutely is though. I don't see how anyone can say it isn't. CoD games follow the standard performance I mentioned - they start selling well at some point, sequels do better, and then it peaks and starts to decline. That's the expected performance of any core-centric franchise, even Japanese ones. Seeing a new entry suddenly explode like this is very, very unusual, but I agree that it is definitely good for the industry too, because it shows it is possible to have hits like this. I guess the trick is figuring out why it happened and how more publishers can take advantage of that. It's something the console market in Japan is in desperate need of.

Call of Duty followed the trend you're mentioning because it was (is) an yearly franchise; that would be a typical trend given its release schedule. GTA does not, instead, appear so often. GTAIV was released in 2008, and GTAV in 2013... That's 5 years; in the meanwhile, the PS3 userbase that was more likely to purchase Western-oriented products grew a lot, thanks to Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and all the other games that sold quite well. GTAV is a result of this, and being one of the most important Western games of the generation surely helped (word-of-mouth for example), on top of the company's marketing and advertising. Not saying it's not an incredible result: it is. I was just saying that it can well be explained given the circumstances and also it will be difficult to replicate because of its release schedule (few software houses can afford to release its main IP every 5 years).

duckroll

I think FF Explorers is doing okay for what the product is, but I definitely feel that as a FF branded co-op hunting type game on the 3DS, it's missing the mark it should be achieving. Maybe S-E should have put more effort into it, but if we look at how popular such games are even on the Vita, and how successful Dissidia was on the PSP, there's definitely a much higher ceiling which it isn't hitting for the product concept.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |    153.166 |    196.274 |    176.555 |    153.166 |    176.555 |  17.991.611 |
| PSV # |     58.005 |     43.495 |     75.400 |     58.005 |     75.400 |   3.581.932 |
|  PS4  |     42.216 |     33.150 |            |     42.216 |            |   1.012.883 |
|  WIU  |     30.031 |     43.950 |     51.271 |     30.031 |     51.271 |   2.173.611 |
|  PS3  |     17.867 |     12.578 |     40.085 |     17.867 |     40.085 |  10.186.858 |
|  XB1  |        637 |      1.162 |            |        637 |            |      43.904 |

Famitsu Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| 3DS # |    200.100 |    218.351 |    187.920 |    200.100 |    187.920 |  18.047.156 |
| PSV # |     55.619 |     40.523 |     88.169 |     55.619 |     88.169 |   3.478.694 |
|  WIU  |     43.014 |     48.927 |     60.548 |     43.014 |     60.548 |   2.166.297 |
|  PS4  |     35.789 |     30.145 |            |     35.789 |            |     961.359 |
|  PS3  |     16.024 |     10.142 |     40.941 |     16.024 |     40.941 |  10.034.558 |
|  XB1  |        853 |        815 |            |        853 |            |      46.811 |

Right when I was ready to see posts for 3DS, Wii U and PS4, famitsu came in.

When/if mcvuk updates I'll wait to see is PSP has stopped tracked too.

edit: Nope, Busaiku was fast.

Yeah, I think 3DS sales will be remarkably low this year, maybe a similar percentage drop as last year.
I would've thought that with New 3DS, they could've mitigated the drop experienced last year, but it looks like it's just not catching on.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I think FF Explorers is doing okay for what the product is, but I definitely feel that as a FF branded co-op hunting type game on the 3DS, it's missing the mark it should be achieving. Maybe S-E should have put more effort into it, but if we look at how popular such games are even on the Vita, and how successful Dissidia was on the PSP, there's definitely a much higher ceiling which it isn't hitting for the product concept.

It feels like one of those games that came out a couple of years too late. It'd probably be huge if it had been released close to God Eater back when the PSP was relevant, before the industry was completely taken over by Hunting games.

Oregano

Right. It's not fulfilling the full potential of the concept. If it was a big budget, internally developed game with a big push(like Dissidia) it could/would have done a lot better.

It would probably help if it was good as well.

EDIT: It's almost the poster child for Nirolak's point about the big JP publishers being too gun-shy.

Hellraider

It feels like one of those games that came out a couple of years too late. It'd probably be huge if it had been released close to God Eater back when the PSP was relevant, before the industry was completely taken over by Hunting games.

I really don't think timing is FFEX's problem. It needed to be a complete, quality, polished and more expensive product. Instead it's just a cash grab.

EDIT: My man, Oregano!

Opiate

Even that seems moderately unlikely, as Shinra stated.

I'd add that it's particularly bad when you put it in context. The PS4's lower sales rate could be justified if Nintendo were lighting the world on fire. That is, a PS4 that sells 80% as well as the PS3 would actually be a very good thing if the Wii U were on pace to sell 20M units, because that would suggest the overall market was growing, and that Sony was holding relatively steady even in the face of a competitor sucking the air out of the room.

The fact that the Wii U is on track to sell ~4M instead suggests the opposite; the PS4 should be outselling the PS3 by a significant margin, to compensate for the collapse of Nintendo's home console. But it's not, which makes the PS4's sales seem particularly unfortunate for the console market in general.

Top Bottom