• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 announced for PS3PSV.

COMG comparison

9 days before release
[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 828pt
[PS3] Tales of Xillia2 - 481pt
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria - 370pt

37 days before release
[PSV] God Eater 2 - 199pt
[PSP] God Eater 2 - 186pt
[PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst - 144pt
[PS4] God Eater 2 Rage Burst - #dead (<14pt)

No PS4. Konami, are you that stupid?

Comg is good, comg is great

45 days before launch
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 116pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest X Online - 108pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest Sword - 90pt

[PS3] One Piece Pirate Warriors - 85+26pt

[PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes - 115pt
[PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes - 70pt

I know its comg but I'm surprised at the proximity of PS3 and PS4 SKU's. Of course its only initial and with 45 days left I expect the gap to get bigger.

Who thinks DQH will sell 1 million or more?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anything less than a million for DQH would surprise. And I don't think SE would work with Koei on such a project if they expected less sold units.

I know its comg but I'm surprised at the proximity of PS3 and PS4 SKU's. Of course its only initial and with 45 days left I expect the gap to get bigger.

Who thinks DQH will sell 1 million or more?
The real question is: will it sell 1 million at launch?

And the PS4 version is leading on Amazon.

u_neek

[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 116pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest X Online - 108pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest Sword - 90pt

[PS3] One Piece Pirate Warriors - 85+26pt

[PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes - 115pt
[PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes - 70pt
How much did the other titles sell FW? I remember OP doing quite well.

1 mil (even LTD) for DQH would be awesome.

Spiegel

Anything less than a million for DQH would surprise. And I don't think SE would work with Koei on such a project if they expected less sold units.

Putting the bar pretty low there, eh?

PS1 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Great Adventure 2 - The Last Hope 358,617 604,298 Enix 1999-09-15
PS2 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Great Adventure 3 303,058 513,796 Enix 2002-10-31
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special 185,809 399,715 Square Enix 2004-12-22
PS2 Dragon Quest: Shounen Yangus to Fushigi no Dungeon 151,570 301,755 Square Enix 2006-04-20
PS1 Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2 132,479 294,758 Enix 2002-05-30

cw_sasuke

PS1 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Great Adventure 2 - The Last Hope 358,617 604,298 Enix 1999-09-15
PS2 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Great Adventure 3 303,058 513,796 Enix 2002-10-31
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special 185,809 399,715 Square Enix 2004-12-22
PS2 Dragon Quest: Shounen Yangus to Fushigi no Dungeon 151,570 301,755 Square Enix 2006-04-20

I would rather take the first One Piece Musou and or Fist of the North Star games as comparison, then adding the fact that it hits 2 platforms, has high productions values and it's the first new DQ game on the Playstation family since many years.

SE wouldn't have agreed on such a collaboration of the just expected to sell 400k units lol. Dynasty Warriors and DQ... It doesn't get much more mainstream when it comes to Playstation related content.

crinale

Well I wouldn't be surprised if some ppl act like it's going to sell millions, just to be "disappointed" later on, but oh well.

Alrus

One Piece Musou sold over 800k copies on PS3 alone, I don't see why DQ:H wouldn't at least match that number.

Comparing it to stuff like Itadaki Street or DQ;M seems disingenuous.

Spiegel

I would rather take the first One Piece Musou and or Fist of the North Star games as comparison, then adding the fact that it hits 2 platforms, has high productions values and it's the first new DQ game on the Playstation family since many years.

SE wouldn't have agreed on such a collaboration of the just expected to sell 400k units lol. Dynasty Warriors and DQ... It doesn't get much more mainstream when it comes to Playstation related content.

It's fair to expect more than 400k units, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the game sells less than one million when the Dragon Quest VII remake barely passed one million (1.2M) on the biggest platform in Japan.

One Piece Musou sold over 800k copies on PS3 alone, I don't see why DQ:H wouldn't at least match that number.

Comparing it to stuff like Itadaki Street or DQ;M seems disingenuous.

I was listing all the DQ spinoffs on Playstation platforms.

And more platforms != more sales. (see One Piece Musou 2)

cw_sasuke

Well I wouldn't be surprised if some ppl act like it's going to sell millions, just to be "disappointed" later on, but oh well.
Suuuuuuuure..... On a more serious note I expect sales around a million so if it sells +800/90k it will fall in the same category.

Would be something different if it was a PS4 exclusive, but on PS3 there are enough DQ fans that have been waiting for an HD DQ for years and it's the home of Musou titles.

DQH is quite a bug and ambitious titles, no need to lowball predictions.

@Spiegel
There isn't a single PS DQ Spinoff that can be compared with DQH. I mean DQ Swords sold +500k alone in Wii quite early in its life. And DQH is much more ambitious than that and features all fan favorite characters.

I don't think these PS One era Spinoff numbers are quite useful in this situation, the competition when it comes to real RPG titles was something complete different on these consoles.

crinale

Suuuuuuuure..... On a more serious note I expect sales around a million so if it sells +800/90k it will fall in the same category.

Would be something different if it was a PS4 exclusive, but on PS3 there are enough DQ fans that have been waiting for an HD DQ for years and it's the home of Musou titles.

DQH is quite a bug and ambitious titles, no need to lowball predictions.

I guess that's quite realistic goal. However 1 million is quite high barrier in Japanese market nowdays.

I would also say it's going to sell million copies combined if it was released a few years ago, but we all know how the market status is right now :(

If DQH sells less than 500k, I would not consider it a successful venture based on how such a product should perform. If it sells more than 500k but less than a million, then it's a good indicator of what the Musou ceiling is these days, since One Piece Musou also failed to break that barrier.

Yeah that's what I think DQH to cause to miss 1 million mark. But of course the DQ franchise is a big plus factor. Let's see how pre-orders increases after TV ads start..

hiska-kun

At first I thought that Legend of Legacy was destinated to bomb.
But you know I live in Japan, and when I noticed the promotion in Tokyo main Stations (Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya...), I changed my mind.

They are advertising the game, 50k seems a lock. Could reach 100k if word of mouth is good.

C1280DAA-D4F9-4FB4-9E71-7B672DC278D8_zpsnubyc5jz.jpg

duckroll

DQ is a huge mainstream franchise with strong cultural penetration. Musou is a pretty popular action franchise which has performed very well for crossovers on PS platforms in the past. I think 500k is the minimum baseline expectation for low success. I don't know if a million is really realistic, but it shouldn't be impossible either. For it to be a truly successful collaboration, it has to be pretty close to that at least.

If DQH sells less than 500k, I would not consider it a successful venture based on how such a product should perform. If it sells more than 500k but less than a million, then it's a good indicator of what the Musou ceiling is these days, since One Piece Musou also failed to break that barrier.

Gundam Musou, Hokuto Musou, and One Piece Musou all managed to cross 500k on their first entry, although for Gundam it took sales on both PS3 and PS2. DQ is definitely a comparable/bigger franchise to those.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
dat Legacy art is really good, imho.
For DQH I'd say that if One Piece Musou and Ken's Rage Musou were able to sell (averaga) 700k, a million combined is at least a target.

cw_sasuke

Thanks duckroll, that's the way I see it as well but better articulated.

@hiska-kun
Yes.....i also think it will end up close to 100k as people in this thread anticipate.

Spiegel

@Spiegel
There isn't a single PS DQ Spinoff that can be compared with DQH. I mean DQ Swords sold +500k alone in Wii quite early in its life. And DQH is much more ambitious than that and features all fan favorite characters.

I don't think these PS One era Spinoff numbers are quite useful in this situation, the competition when it comes to real RPG titles was something complete different on these consoles.

My personal expectation is a number close to One Piece Musou (+/-10%). Maybe it will sell better or worse than that, but I found funny how you said Square wouldn't have done this collaboration if the game was going to sell less than 1M. That's not a realistic expectation.

L~A

They are advertising the game, 50k seems a lock. Could reach 100k if word of mouth is good.

Yeah, they're not just sending the game to die with barely any advertising.

Word of mouth is indeed gonna be crucial for this game. I really hope FuRyu tested their game properly.

duckroll

If Legend of Legacy is a good which successfully scratches the traditional Romancing SaGa itch, it could do very well in the long run. >100k is the standard success rate for portable JRPGs with positive word of mouth. The SaGa factor is going to be interesting because I think people forget how popular the main SaGa games were from Romancing SaGa onwards. There's definitely a big potential fanbase that could be dormant all these years. I don't think the Vita SaGa announcement will hurt it either, because there hasn't been a "real" SaGa game for years now, I think most hardcore JRPG fans in Japan probably own a 3DS and a Vita. So it might have simply made people more excited. The main question will be how the game quality turns out. I think it's fair to be cautious of an inconsistent publisher.

Word of mouth is indeed gonna be crucial for this game. I really hope FuRyu tested their game properly.

For a game like this, I don't think people really care about bugs so much as how good the game itself is. Unless it's something gamebreaking that prevents progress of course. It can feel a little unpolished but still be extremely satisfying if the core design is good.

monpiece

Banned
Considering the investment on promoting Legend of Legacy, it better sell around 100k. I won't be worthy if it sells only Unchained Blades numbers.

crinale

As for Legend of Legacy it really depends how well Japanese gamers know the personnel behind this game do have reputation, instead of just looking at Publisher's name.

Enthusiastic gamers who see websites and internet forums should know this already (and have pretty much every console too, with the possible exception of XB1), so how many gamers outside of enthusiasts they can attract should be the key.

duckroll

As for Legend of Legacy it really depends how well Japanese gamers know the personnel behind this game do have reputation, instead of just looking at Publisher's name.

Enthusiastic gamers who see websites and internet forums should know this already (and have pretty much every console too, with the possible exception of XB1), so how many gamers outside of enthusiasts they can attract should be the key.

I don't think that's a major factor at all. No one is really expecting the game to sell huge right out of the gate. The key point is word of mouth. Telling people that people who made previous SaGa games also worked on this one is something only a small segment of consumers will care about, but if lots of people are saying it feels like a real SaGa game and is really fun, then more people who are interested in that will buy it.

If we look at previous Japanese games which grew from word of mouth, we can see that it has really little to do with staff, so much as customer satisfaction. Two examples I can think of right now are Demon's Souls and Etrian Odyssey. Both games were undershipped initially, without much expectation for demand. They're also games where the staff behind them didn't really matter at the time. What was important was that they offered a unique gameplay experience which existed in the past but wasn't so common anymore (King's Field/Shadow Tower Abyss, Wizardry respectively), and with a high quality of design to boot.

Eolz

Uh, I really don't think DQH will ever get to a million (or even 900k). 800k maybe with new bundles.
Seems to me you're really overestimating. Even with the appeal of DQ, it's a musou on PS4, which still hasn't sold that much yet. A DQH2 in some years could maybe get that high, but I really don't believe it...

L~A

For a game like this, I don't think people really care about bugs so much as how good the game itself is. Unless it's something gamebreaking that prevents progress of course. It can feel a little unpolished but still be extremely satisfying if the core design is good.

Oh, but I agree with you. The bolded part is exactly what I'm talking about for "proper testing", actually. I don't think anyone expect a super polished game like what you'd get from Nintendo, but if FuRyu does like their first Cardfight Vanguard game (which was, based on a couple articles I found, riddled with bugs), it'll immediately kill any legs the game might have, no matter how good the core game is.

But from the looks of it, they seem to be doing quite well (positive word of mouth / press so far, moderate advertising...), so hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'd feel bad for the Director it the game ended up selling really poorly. I really love what I've heard him say in interviews / livestream: real passionate guy.

So yeah, wishing Mr. Matsuura and his team good luck.... oh, and don't forget localisation pretty please ;)

crinale

I don't think that's a major factor at all. No one is really expecting the game to sell huge right out of the gate. The key point is word of mouth. Telling people that people who made previous SaGa games also worked on this one is something only a small segment of consumers will care about, but if lots of people are saying it feels like a real SaGa game and is really fun, then more people who are interested in that will buy it.

If we look at previous Japanese games which grew from word of mouth, we can see that it has really little to do with staff, so much as customer satisfaction. Two examples I can think of right now are Demon's Souls and Etrian Odyssey. Both games were undershipped initially, without much expectation for demand. They're also games where the staff behind them didn't really matter at the time. What was important was that they offered a unique gameplay experience which existed in the past but wasn't so common anymore (King's Field/Shadow Tower Abyss, Wizardry respectively), and with a high quality of design to boot.

Well it can be noted that both From software and Atlus already did have die-hard fans behind it, but I agree with the most part you said. Word of mouth is important for this.

Considering the investment on promoting Legend of Legacy, it better sell around 100k. I won't be worthy if it sells only Unchained Blades numbers.

Let's not pretend that an ad in a train station is such a big investment in promoting the game, though. Better than any previous FuRyu game probably, but not something that scream "100k or bomb".

The fact is, this is the most clever DQ spin-off on a Sony platform ever. You cannot compare DQ+Musou with remakes of GB games or board games, DQ Heroes is a DQ spin-off tailored on PS3 userbase (and consequently, PS4); we saw how Musou cross-over sold throughout the years, even from franchise that are less popular than DQ in the video game market. DQ Heroes should sell well, at least 600k units in my opinion, to succeed. Also because it doesn't have basically any market outside Japan.

DQ is a huge mainstream franchise with strong cultural penetration. Musou is a pretty popular action franchise which has performed very well for crossovers on PS platforms in the past. I think 500k is the minimum baseline expectation for low success. I don't know if a million is really realistic, but it shouldn't be impossible either. For it to be a truly successful collaboration, it has to be pretty close to that at least.

Gundam Musou, Hokuto Musou, and One Piece Musou all managed to cross 500k on their first entry, although for Gundam it took sales on both PS3 and PS2. DQ is definitely a comparable/bigger franchise to those.
One Piece only failed to sell 1 million because it was not well received.

First week: 655.774
Second week: 90.133 (-86%)
LTD: 828.150

duckroll

One Piece only failed to sell 1 million because it was not well received.

Yeah well we can say the same about Hokuto Musou not doing even better too. They're all made by the same people. Omega Force isn't going to suddenly start making critically acclaimed games with amazing word of mouth. These games sell based on brand power and hype, and will generally be really front loaded.

Busaiku

I still don't really get the argument that because mainline Dragon Quest games sell better, a licensed game will do better than bigger properties.
I figure that because Dragon Quest fans are game fans, there would be greater crossover already, but also fewer casual people buying in.

I still don't really get the argument that because mainline Dragon Quest games sell better, a licensed game will do better than bigger properties.
I figure that because Dragon Quest fans are game fans, there would be greater crossover already, but also fewer casual people buying in.
In the case of Dragon Quest Heroes, it has been argued that this being the first DQ game (even if spin-off) on the PS platform in years will play a big role in its sales. I agree with this statement. IMO, the game has the potential to reach 1 million+ LTD.

Busaiku

That's another thing.
Just cause it wasn't on Playstation systems in 10 years, it'll go on to be the best selling non-RPG spinoff ever?
Especially given the fact that it'll be on a platform that's on the decline, and a system that's doing extremely poorly?

It's not like Tales or other Warriors games or something, where sales noticeably dropped off on other platforms.
Dragon Quest has stayed consistent on the other platforms, so it's not too big of an assumption saying that fans of the franchise moved with the games.

It just seems like the expectations for this are through the roof.

That's another thing.
Just cause it wasn't on Playstation systems in 10 years, it'll go on to be the best selling non-RPG spinoff ever?
Especially given the fact that it'll be on a platform that's on the decline, and a system that's doing extremely poorly?

It's not like Tales or other Warriors games or something, where sales noticeably dropped off on other platforms.
Dragon Quest has stayed consistent on the other platforms, so it's not too big of an assumption saying that fans of the franchise moved with the games.

It just seems like the expectations for this are through the roof.

Expectations are high as any other first HD attempt for a big franchise. Musou games are popular on PS3. Also, PS3+PS4 have enough active userbase to sustain 1m sales. Also, "fans of the franchise" is really a loose definition because DQ is so popular that it could technically sell well everywhere.

duckroll

Dragon Quest is not just a "game franchise" in Japan. It's a cultural phenomena. I don't think it's hard to understand.

Alrus

I was listing all the DQ spinoffs on Playstation platforms.

And more platforms != more sales. (see One Piece Musou 2)

Well One Piece Musou had bad word of mouth so it was inevitable that 2 was going to do worse than the original. I think for a new musou game, having multiple platform might help more. We'll see soon enough :)

Beckx

Some leaks from JP magazines

- Cross Ange (PSV) - Action game based on the "hit" anime
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015 (PSV/PS3) - Best baseball game won't come out on PS4 this year, lol
- Funassyi vs. Dragons / Funassyi no Yukai-na Ohanassyi (3DS) - Puzzle and sidescroller games

Looks like there is also a STG for a playstation hardware (Astebreed? Ubusuna?)

Disappointing that Pro Yakyuu is skipping PS4 again. Guess they really don't think the sales would support any effort to bring it over.

duckroll

It's not as big as One Piece though.

I think you're massively uninformed. One Piece is huge but DQ is just as huge. Both franchises transcend their primary medium in terms of Japanese mindshare. In terms of comparing actual sales of their primary medium though, One Piece sells about 3+ million copies per volume now, and these are cheap comics which just cost a few dollars each. Dragon Quest IX sold over 4 million copies on the DS at 60 bucks a copy.

Stuff like Mario, Pokemon, One Piece, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest are a special league in terms of entertainment brands.

Busaiku

Don't Sony and Take Two have the MLB on lock?
I think you're massively uninformed. One Piece is huge but DQ is just as huge. Both franchises transcend their primary medium in terms of Japanese mindshare. In terms of comparing actual sales of their primary medium though, One Piece sells about 3+ million copies per volume now, and these are cheap comics which just cost a few dollars each. Dragon Quest IX sold over 4 million copies on the DS at 60 bucks a copy.
One Piece is a gigantic cross media property that is constantly in the minds of the general public.
I am not trying to diminish Dragon Quest's success, but unlike stuff like Pokemon or Yokai Watch, it is largely limited to just video games.
Do I think Dragon Quest Heroes will be a flop? No, but to expect it to be the best selling non-RPG spinoff, given everything else, is also a pretty high bar.

monpiece

Banned
Let's not pretend that an ad in a train station is such a big investment in promoting the game, though. Better than any previous FuRyu game probably, but not something that scream "100k or bomb".

Is it just an ad in a train station? If it is just an ad, ignore what I have said.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Im gonna do an off the wall bet and say 100k first week for LoL.

Just because.

And yes I have 0 faith in Furyu in general. But am curious to see how the "SaGa" fans will react to the title. If everyone is gonna do a Mexican standoff hoping someone else will pick it up first so they can read impressions or if they will all bumrush it at once and sell it back quick if it does turn out bad.

Mr Swine

Banned
DQH is going to release on both PS4 and PS3 right? i guess it will be a 40/60 split where both combined will sell around 850k-1m in Japan

One Piece is a gigantic cross media property that is constantly in the minds of the general public.
I am not trying to diminish Dragon Quest's success, but unlike stuff like Pokemon or Yokai Watch, it is largely limited to just video games.
Do I think Dragon Quest Heroes will be a flop? No, but to expect it to be the best selling non-RPG spinoff, given everything else, is also a pretty high bar.
One Piece and Dragon Quest are two completely different and unrelated franchises. One started as a manga spanning an anime and then later was made into video game. The other has been a popular video game since NES and has pretty much a dedicated fanbase and popularity that has remained mostly the same through out the years.

You really need to drop off the Yokai Watch and Pokemon comparison. Pokemon is absolutely massive compared to Yokai Watch. For all we know, Yokai Watch can just end up as a fad that ends soon while Pokemon is a long time franchises that has proven its worth again and again.

Busaiku

In the video game market, Dragon Quest >>> One Piece in terms of popularity.
Right, but it's had tons of other spinoffs, on more popular platforms, that haven't had near the success that some are expecting.
So why would this be so special?
So is Dragon Quest. Just ask anyone in Japan.
Looking at stuff that One Piece is succeeding in, such as licensed media in general, where Dragon Quest has limited presence outside of the big game launches, it's hard to see that.
During the time following Dragon Quest III, it was easy to see, with stuff like Dai's Adventure really taking off, but nowadays, everything seems limited to just games.

Top Bottom