• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2017 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

Mory Dunz

Splatoon has a dedicated fanbase that can see if this is trully a sequel or not.

um...yes?
I wasn't talking sales potential due to it being 720p if that's what you're saying. I was talking GAF and other outlets general reaction to the game.

Speaking of Splatoon, it's "summer" but I have pinned for late summer like august or sept, so maybe it can look a little better by then. Or not.

Setsuna seems like the perfect "test game". It's fairly simple technologically and it's already multiplatform, so the code should be easy and quick to port to another platform. And, by all accounts, of high quality.
It is a fail "test" game then since it doesn't have good wom, which obvisouly means there isn't much interest around it which will lead to lower sales.

Rymuth

Over 1000 replies, higher than any MC thread of 2016 and week 2 thread still a ways to go. Granted, it's the Switch week...

and the discussion was sidetracked a bit there...

But still - I choose to be optimistic and see this as a precursor to whats to come. Japan may be dead but MC threads are livelier than ever.

Hellraider

Setsuna seems like the perfect "test game". It's fairly simple technologically and it's already multiplatform, so the code should be easy and quick to port to another platform. And, by all accounts, of high quality.

I find it really hard to think of a worse test game than I am Setsuna. And I'm saying this without even knowing what the subject of the test is...

Oregano

I don't think Square Enix is bothering with any tests considering they announced five other games tbh.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
But still - I choose to be optimistic and see this as a precursor to whats to come. Japan may be dead but MC threads are livelier than ever.

If this thread is a prelude of what to come get ready for even more polution of clueless posts.

um...yes?
I wasn't talking sales potential due to it being 720p if that's what you're saying. I was talking GAF and other outlets general reaction to the game.

GAF reaction for the game has little things to do in general and especially for Japan.

Mory Dunz

If this thread is a prelude of what to come get ready for even more polution of clueless posts.

GAF reaction for the game has little things to do in general and especially for Japan.

The original comment was about reactions to Splatoon, mario, and zelda in a general sense. I think he wanted our opinions and wasn't specifying japan or sales potential.
That's what I was replying to. If we're talking sales, of course splatoon 2 will blow up.

edit:
It wasn't just GAF's reaction. Outlets too.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Splatoon has a dedicated fanbase that can see if this is truly a sequel or not.

You're saying the 1.5M owners of Splatoon in Japan are its dedicated fanbase? Because honestly the way this sells Switch hardware is by getting that whole fanbase over (or people who were waiting on the sidelines), to jump in with Splatoon 2. I'm sure the eSports folks or w/e will jump in anyhow...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Those who are familiar with Splatoon will easily tell if Splatoon 2 is indeed a sequel or an updated port. For newcomers it doesn't make much of a difference.

Fisico

Over 1000 replies, higher than any MC thread of 2016 and week 2 thread still a ways to go. Granted, it's the Switch week...

and the discussion was sidetracked a bit there...

If it means console/quote wars being back again then no thanks "The Switch will bomb guyzz" "No u !" "/s" "[...] people just said [...]"

Is it so hard to just write reasonable predictions, explain your arguments in a few lines and call it a day?

I'd rather have five pages of posts worth reading than a thousand posts like this.

Also did we have the price of all SKU being released for Switch?
I only remember reading DQH was >9k yens but I guess everything will be between 5000-7000 yens.

Vena

Also did we have the price of all SKU being released for Switch?
I only remember reading DQH was >9k yens but I guess everything will be between 5000-7000 yens.

We're seeing variable pricing from ~3000¥-9000¥ seemingly.

Snipperclips is the cheapest title (smallish party game), USFII is the median (nominally, same price as a 3DS game), and DQHI/II seems to be the high end (bundle, full DLC and more than a standard release on console).

Meanwhile, even general title pricing seems to be completely game dependent. There's reason to say that there's a definite pricing precedent here that the titles will be scaled depending on how they are perceived by their publisher in scope and worth, so we will likely see games ranging nominally from 5000¥ to 9000¥ at retail.

If it means console/quote wars being back again then no thanks "The Switch will bomb guyzz" "No u !" "/s" "[...] people just said [...]"

We still don't have anything even close to legendary "Any reason why Wii U won't dominate Japan" or using slightly smaller caliber "Vita will be discontinued in Spring 2014"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Its not a test game - it under performed on every other system and SE hopes to make some bucks while testing Unity on Switch.

The performance of Setsuna will have no big effect on upcoming any SE titles for Switch.

Eolz

Finally caught up with every post here. Wow, there has been a lot since the event.

I don't think S-E is hoping for a lot for Setsuna (or that will it hint for potential sales of future games), but it will have a nice spot with no other classical JRPG out there on that device before a while.

Ōkami

Next week is the first true bomba week of the year and YSO will be telling.

Valkyria will get a chance to bomb on two platforms and, well, Gravity Rush 2 is also coming out.

zeromcd73

Intreview with the NipponIchi Software CEO in regards to the Nintendo Switch

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201701/15124851.html
Shinkawa: That's true. As you've said, we are a software company that has grown together with playstation, and are well aware that a lot of our fans are on playstation platforms. So it is not as if we will stop developing games for playstation. Overseas, Playstation 4 sales are incredibly strong and we will continue making games for the Playstation 4 platform.

However, in Japan we can't just ignore the move to portable gaming consoles. Our games are well suited for portable gaming, so when you think about it, it is important for PS4 and Nintendo Switch to balance each other out and do well. With that in mind, from here on multiplatform develpment for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is very much a possibility.

Oregano

...and it's confirmation that at least some publishers are looking at Switch as a portable.

Nintendo will need to get that price down ASAP though.

KtSlime

...and it's confirmation that at least some publishers are looking at Switch as a portable.

I don't think they should to do a price down right away, but I think they should have had a pack in. I might not be remembering correctly, but the Wii in Japan came with no pack in, but the Wii in the US at the last moment decided to pack in Wii Sports, is that right? Am I remembering what happened correctly?

I didn't get to play 1•2 Switch at the experience event, but I think it might be in Nintendo's best interest to use it as a pack in. The game looks like it could be fun, and a great way to show friends your new toy.

Frankly, I think they should get the price down before it launches. It won't happen, but it's just so clearly a bad decision, it's infuriating. A pack-in is another great option, but I don't know what they could include. 1-2-Switch is not the Switch's equivalent of Wii Sports or even Nintendo Land. It's the equivalent of Little Deviants. Bomberman would be cool, but it's not their game.

Oregano

NIS was the last Japanese company I would expect to support Switch.

I think they're hoping for some kind of first mover advantage.

I don't think they should to do a price down right away, but I think they should have had a pack in. I might not be remembering correctly, but the Wii in Japan came with no pack in, but the Wii in the US at the last moment decided to pack in Wii Sports, is that right? Am I remembering what happened correctly?

I didn't get to play 1•2 Switch at the experience event, but I think it might be in Nintendo's best interest to use it as a pack in. The game looks like it could be fun, and a great way to show friends your new toy.

I think it will still be important to have time price drops. It will hopefully be more feasible than Wii U(and 3DS) considering the more standardized hardware in the Switch.

Frankly, I think they should get the price down before it launches. It won't happen, but it's just so clearly a bad decision, it's infuriating. A pack-in is another great option, but I don't know what they could include. 1-2-Switch is not the Switch's equivalent of Wii Sports or even Nintendo Land. It's the equivalent of Little Deviants. Bomberman would be cool, but it's not their game.

Agreed, as cool as the features sound they probably should have ditched HD Rumble and the IR camera. Most people won't care and it drives up the price.

cw_sasuke

Of course they see as a portable otherwise there wouldnt be much reason to support it after the WiiU and next to as PS4. Switch has more potential than Wii/WiiU ever did based on the fact that it can be used as a portable.

The market wasnt looking for another WiiU..

NIS being smart - PS4/Switch is the only way to go when it comes to traditional games. We will see alot more of that this year.

I suspect Splatoon might be a bundle game soon and the reason Nintendo has remained silent is because they want to gather as many whales with the initial launch as possible.

I do see a Splatoon bundle with the $299 price tag this holiday.

Eolz

I don't think NIS supporting the Switch is a surprise after them stating that the Vita was not powerful enough for their usual Disgaea port.
But as said above, putting it at this price is not particularly smart. Every game seems overpriced, and while the lineup is seemingly empty right now, people will prefer a new game for this price.

Oregano

Of course they see as a portable otherwise there wouldnt be much reason to support it after the WiiU and next to as PS4. Switch has more potential than Wii/WiiU ever did based on the fact that it can be used as a portable.

The market wasnt looking for another WiiU..

NIS being smart - PS4/Switch is the only way to go when it comes to traditional games. We will see alot more of that this year.

Of course but it's nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

I suspect Splatoon might be a bundle game soon and the reason Nintendo has remained silent is because they want to gather as many whales with the initial launch as possible.

I do see a Splatoon bundle with the $299 price tag this holiday.

Would probably be smart.

Selling an old Disgaea port for 70 bucks is smart?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/switch/aacaa/index.html

They can probably break even with one copy sold. Seems smart to me.:p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
NIS words are encouraging
too bad so far they have been isolated
it would be more encouraging seeing bigger softco releasing similar words

cw_sasuke

Selling an old Disgaea port for 70 bucks is smart?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/switch/aacaa/index.html

Low risk on a small userbase just to get things going - better than Disgaea 1 got.

How much is Disgaea 5 on SP4 including all the DLC ? I would expect thats the usual price point for this type of game - they are clearly not aiming for the people that already own it on PS4 but a new audience.

Of course but it's nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

I agree.

Asd202

Low risk on a small userbase just to get things going - better than Disgaea 1 got.

How much is Disgaea 5 on SP4 including all the DLC ? I would expect thats the usual price point for this type of game - they are clearly not aiming for the people that already own it on PS4 but a new audience.

In EU it's on sale on PSN for the whole packge (game+season pass) you can get it for about 30 euro? Maybe even less.

Just checked it's 32 Euro.

cw_sasuke

In EU it's on sale on PSN for the whole packge (game+season pass) you can get it for about 30 euro? Maybe even less.

Just checked it's 32 Euro.

I was asking for the standard price of the Japanese PS4 version including all the DLC.

That you can get it cheaper somewhere on PS4 during a sale should be clear - its been out for a while.

Rolf NB

I don't think Square Enix is bothering with any tests considering they announced five other games tbh.
Well, technical test. It's polygonal, so no worrying about "omg we painted all these sprites specifically for a 400x240 pixel screen". They get something out quick, reap the first mover advantages. Other games are announced, but Setsuna is March.

There's nothing cynical or bad about a port. Squenix wants to sell JRPGs on the platform, and they participate in the market building as quickly as they can. Compare that to their initial stance on PS3 where they thought they could rely on other publishers to grow a JRPG market for them. They got wiser.

duckroll

Hmmm... actually it looks like Disgaea 5 is a complete package with all the DLC. The season pass for Disgaea 5 is still 4000yen, and the last set of DLC is only half a year old. Hmmmmm. 6000yen would be a better price, but yeah this doesn't seem so bad. Maybe. Still a high price for buy in though. I wonder if it'll be 6000yen on the eShop. Disgaea 5 was cheaper on PSN than it was at retail.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
[PS3] Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
[PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.12.17} (¥5.800)
[PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.12.17} (¥4.762)

[PS3] Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.02.24} (¥6.800)
[PSV] Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.01.30} (¥5.980)
[PSV] Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.01.30} (¥4.762)

[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.200)
[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥5.713)

Top Bottom