• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

nickcv

sony domination

8ulpdPb.png

178jmog.png

Frodo

Vita did better than I predicted. Good to see its sales. SS did a little bit worse than I was expecting, but still good numbers.

That goes to show that if Sony had actually tried Vita wouldn't be in the situation it is right now.

serplux

A good week for the Vita. Looks like it did a little dent into the 3DS' sales. But the 3DS has Super Robot Taisen UX and Luigi's Mansion 2 coming out in the next two weeks, so no biggie.

Guess Who

Banned
Unquestionable proof that the Vita could make a comeback and actually be a decent success if developers - and Sony - actually put some god damn effort into the thing.

duckroll

Now would be a good time by sony to announce any unannounced games they may be keeping.

Yeah I think with Soul Sacrifice "out of the way" so to speak, Sony should really have no reservations with showing their hand for the rest of 2013 now. If they have anything, it would help build confidence in the future of the platform. If they don't have anything, then well... erm... yeah.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, what's the next big release on the horizon for any platform?

Next week there are Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3) and Super Robot Taisen UX (3DS). This one has a bundle too. And SAO for PSP.

On 20th, One Piece: KM2 (PS3 especially) and Luigi's Mansion 2.

If Soul Sacrifice has legs like Demon's Souls (release was ~35K, ended up selling ~180K before re releases IIRC) then it'll be extremely successful IP. However, if that were to happen, how long before Marvelous and Inafune pull a FROM and Myiasaki and release a Souls Survivor or something on the 3DS?

Maedhros

Looks difficult. Last week bestseller on Vita:

13./03. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 17.138 / 111.461 (-82%)

15./07. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229) - 10.031 / 71.258 (-84%)

What does these two games have to do with SS?

Vinci

Danish
Question for all the data guys: Has anyone ever run any sort of analyses on these numbers to determine price sensitivity, Famitsu/Metacritic score impact, etc.?

Scum

Vita is holding decently for a second week, it'll be fun to see how long the charade can last before it collapses again. Unless Sony has some killer announcements real soon that is.

Soul Sacrifice did about as well as it can given how unappealing and dead the Vita platform is honestly. For an IP of this sort, in a normal healthy platform, I think the reasonable expectation would have been 250-300k for the launch to be considered a solid success in Japan, but as it is, I guess it's not too bad.

Tales of Heart R proves once again that the only people in Japan still buying the terrible looking ports and spinoffs and whatever in the series are likely the same handful of really hardcore fans which number about 50k. The audience for proper Tales games is much larger, but it's interesting to see there are even 50k of these super hardcore people who literally buy anything from the franchise.

Metal Gear Rising looks to eventually break 400k, but it probably won't make it to 500k. The question is whether it can sell out the initial shipment (I think it was 450k or something?), otherwise it's going to be really cheap in Japan really soon. Still, great sales for the title regardless.

Layton 6 is looking to struggle to ever get to 300k, which is really bad for the series. Decline, decline, decline, decline. Time to shake things up. The next game should feature Luke as a professor wandering the world solving mysteries by talking to animals! YES!!!

I can make out your Aizen smirk just as you were typing this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I think with Soul Sacrifice "out of the way" so to speak, Sony should really have no reservations with showing their hand for the rest of 2013 now. If they have anything, it would help build confidence in the future of the platform. If they don't have anything, then well... erm... yeah.

I look forward to Vita Heaven 3, which recaps already announced games.

So Tales of Heart R pretty much matches Tales of Innocence R. The tales fans who own PSV retains parity.

Soul Sacrifice has a good opening. Matches what most people thought its sales would be like. Time to see what kinds of legs it will have.

The bundle, a big release, and a medium release allowed Vita to match last week's numbers.
Now that the big releases have dropped and price drop is in effect, we see what numbers the Vita will stabilize to.

Bruno MB

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560) - 46.866 / 250.090 (-77%)

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.10} - 67.475 / 320.565 (-73%)

Dynasty Warriors 8 is underperforming notably.

[3DS] Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500) - 30.078 / 160.764 (-77%)

[3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980) - 29.271 / 158.127 (-77%)

Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A sales are exactly on par with Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney, really bad for this latest installment. It may struggle to reach 300.000 units.

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance # <ACT> (Konami) {2013.02.21} (¥6.980) - 17.833 / 386.908 (-70%)

Wow, that was a huge drop, there are around 85.000 units left from the first shipment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I look forward to Vita Heaven 3, which recaps already announced games.

I spoke too soon! At least one new title already.

Siliconera said:
Dengeki PlayStation followed up with more news about Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia PP. The magazine announced the game will be released for PlayStation Vita. Details about what kind of game this is have not leaked online yet.

NIS America has been pretty committed to localizing the Neptunia titles, so we wouldn&#8217;t be surprised to see them release this one, too.

Meanwhile, Hyperdimesion Neptunia Victory is scheduled to come out next week. Sato has been playing the English version for a couple of weeks so we&#8217;ll have more on that soon.

Update: Hyperdimension Idol Neptunia PP is slated for release on June 20. The game will cost 6,279 yen in stores or 5,300 yen on PlayStation Network. Compile Heart will also sell an 8,379 yen limited edition.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/next-neptunia-game-is-for-playstation-vita/#4AA5pYpQAfR64He1.99

Otaku market on lockdown.

namDa65

I don't know why everyone is praising the vita. As a vita owner these numbers are a little bit underwhelming for me :(.

Decent, but will it have legs?

DaBoss

Looks difficult. Last week bestseller on Vita:

13./03. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 17.138 / 111.461 (-82%)

15./07. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229) - 10.031 / 71.258 (-84%)

Both games seems to have sold through their first shipment, that is good news.

What does these two games have to do with SS?

Those 2 games are in their second week with the price cut, could be an indicator of what SS does, but I highly doubt that.

As I posted in last week's MC: There is currently not one notable Vita exclusive announced for Japan for the remainder of 2013. The closest thing to an exception is Valhalla Knights 3, neither of whose predecessors broke 100K on PSP.

Two weeks above 60K is great, no question, but it'll be amazing if it stabilizes at even 15K/week given the release list.

Props to the Vita on taking the lead. Good showing for SS on a platform as unhealthy as the Vita.

A very slight dip in the week to week 3DS sales may suggest that there could be an overlap between 3DS owners and PSV owners; people who've only got the 3DS are now taking the opportunity in buying into the PSV platform with the price drop + bundles, and others who've got neither are still on the 3DS wagon.

Things will be back to normal next week. Let it have its moment for now.

duckroll

They can, it would be harder though and not sure they will bother.

Do you really think they can? I'm not saying this in a combative way or anything, I'm actually interested in hearing a plausible scenario where Sony is able to turn the Vita around worldwide in a way where it is a healthy and viable platform for both developers and publishers. I feel it is so hard, especially with the market it is today and the competition it faces, that it is virtually impossible. Anything which could have a chance of creating such a turn around would be stuff beyond Sony's control. What do you think they could do?

Nibel

Luigi's Mansion next week. Should crack 500K.

Next week there are Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3) and Super Robot Taisen UX (3DS). This one has a bundle too. And SAO for PSP.

On 20th, One Piece: KM2 (PS3 especially) and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Thanks guys!

Man, One Piece KM2 will do crazy numbers again - just saw it received 37/40 for the PS3 version and 36/40 for the Vita version from Famitsu. Go Luffy!

Top Bottom