• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thanks guys!

Man, One Piece KM2 will do crazy numbers again - just saw it received 37/40 for the PS3 version and 36/40 for the Vita version from Famitsu. Go Luffy!

I think it is going to seriously underperform the first one.

serplux

So Tales of Heart R pretty much matches Tales of Innocence R. The tales fans who own PSV retains parity.

Soul Sacrifice has a good opening. Matches what most people thought its sales would be like. Time to see what kinds of legs it will have.

The bundle, a big release, and a medium release allowed Vita to match last week's numbers.
Now that the big releases have dropped and price drop is in effect, we see what numbers the Vita will stabilize to.

I still think the Tales series should be on the 3DS. The Tales of Abyss port sold 121,815 when it had a comparable userbase to the Vita.

Somnid

They put everything they had into this week, price-drop plus their best game. I'm not so sure I should be impressed that it hit a typical 3DS week-to-week number. Without more to sustain it it's going to fall again. Maybe they'll get really lucky and Soul Sacrifice is all they need but even that can only last for so long.

BadWolf

So between the singles (92K), doubles (22k*2) and digital sales, SS probably did around 150k (give or take).

Not bad at all, looks like Sony finally has a handheld IP that might matter in the region.

test_account

XP-39C²
Therefore it failed to make any impact. With this kind of sales 3rd parties won´t be impressed. Even Bravely Default, a game with near to no marketing budget, sold more.
Bravely Default had like 5 different demos, in-store promotion, and i think it was also adverticed on TV. A lot of people knew about the game, otherwise it wouldnt sold as much as it did in the first week.

But to make some of you happy. "It sold amazing for Vitas standards".
To make even more people happy, it sold great for a new IP :)

possibly, for me, getting the digital version of SS would make sense because of its heavy online gameplay
Yeah, not having to switch cards can be quite nice indeed.

Cant people just be happy its having a few good weeks? Dont know why youre so up in arms
Generally speaking, some people focus more on the negative stuff when there are some positive news.

darkwing

So between the singles (92K), doubles (22k*2) and digital sales, SS probably did around 150k give or take.

Not bad at all, looks like Sony finally has a handheld IP that might matter in the region.

it would be interesting to see if SS has legs

borius

Neo Member
Great numbers for vita, I wonder how long they will last and how much vita sales will be improved in the long run.

Wii u below 10k I think it could do better but handheld performances are out of question imho.

duckroll

I don't think One Piece Musou 2 will have a huge decline from the first game in the launch week. It's the weeks which follow which might create a bigger gap. I definitely expect >500k for the first week, but maybe not quite 600k.

And it turned out to be pretty bad. I expect a FFXIII --> XIII-2 drop for One Piece.

Nah, I don't think the fanbase considers the game bad at all. People are pretty excited for the sequel.

RE : Tales of Symphonia 3DS confirmed, believe!

Prefer that on Wii U, but they should get Alfa System to make an original 3DS Tales. What are they even doing nowadays? They were behind the PSP Tales games and the Phantasy Star Portable series, now nada. They weren't behind Innocence R IIRC.

An original Tales on 3DS could do great numbers, I'm positive. :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet corner, as of March 13th, 2013

[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou - 543pt
[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 - between 209tp and 216pt

[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 150pt
[3DS] Kid Icarus Uprising - 65pt
[3DS] Luigi's Mansion 2 - 148pt

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - 232pt
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix - 146pt

[NDS] Super Robot Taisen W - 229pt
[NDS] Super Robot Taisen K - 182pt
[NDS] Super Robot Taisen L - 173pt
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 58pt
[3DS] Super Robot Taisen UX - 128pt

[PS3] Disgaea 4 - 148pt
[PS3] Disgaea D2 - 79pt

[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 - 30pt
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 - 36pt

[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2012 - 27pt
[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 - 27pt

I don't think One Piece Musou 2 will have a huge decline from the first game in the launch week. It's the weeks which follow which might create a bigger gap. I definitely expect >500k for the first week, but maybe not quite 600k.

Nah, I don't think the fanbase considers the game bad at all. People are pretty excited for the sequel.

I'd guess more like 250k week one

matmanx1

Can Sony resurrect the Vita like they did with PS3?

Vita still has a small install base in a mostly down market. Third parties are a tough sell on anything other than a port or quick spin off. It's the same catch 22 that it's always been for the Vita. You need games to grow the install base but because the install base is so small no one wants to make major games.

And thus you have the Vita's situation. It gets ports, spin offs and hand me downs for the most part because they are easy and cheap to develop. Sony's actually done a decent job in the Vita's first 15 months on the market at bringing some high quality games to the platform (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet and now Soul Sacrifice) but has yet to have tremendous success with any of them in Japan. We'll see how well Soul Sacrifice stands up since it appears to be a good entry in the "hunting action" category.

Yeah I think with Soul Sacrifice "out of the way" so to speak, Sony should really have no reservations with showing their hand for the rest of 2013 now. If they have anything, it would help build confidence in the future of the platform. If they don't have anything, then well... erm... yeah.

Sony doesn't really have a lot of IPs that cater to the Japanese audience and SCEJ's output is rather slim and niche. New game announcements from them would be something like a Revival/Reboot/Remake/Sequel of some old RPGS (LoD, DC, RG, etc), a new game or remake in a loved franchise (Hot Shots Tennis/Golf, Demon's Souls 2, SOTC with the multi that was supposed to come with the original), a new IP that gets pushed like Soul Sacrifice, or GT5SpecIII for PS3/PSV this Fall.

SCEJ is overly reliant on 3rd parties, there's not much they can do besides what I stated above and maybe getting PS2 classics playable on PSV. They could get NB to announce a date for GE2 and Jump fighting game and FFX date from SE as well as announcing the rumored FFX-2. Maybe get a new big game or two from a 3rd party, possibly exclusive? MGS PP and/or some RPG from SE?

I do agree that we need some announcements within the next 30 days to keep the hype and good word of mouth going. Vita Heaven 3 incoming? 3rd time is a charm (for actual announcements and not crap like the first 2)?

e5xGrAQ.gif

Soriku

Pretty good Vita sales. SS are between decent to good I think but it depends on the double-pack. If sales were like 136k+ I think that's good.

Like others said, the real test starts now. I think the price cut may increase the Vita baseline a bit, but by how much depends on its future lineup. The Vita has a couple good releases...the only problem is that they're multiplat with PSP or PS3, and they're going to sell the bulk on PSP and PS3 as well. A few exclusives games it has like the Atelier Meruru upgrade and Valhalla Knights 3 are too niche to do anything.

Also ToHR really did bad, and I wonder if it'd have done better on 3DS. I imagine not too much better since it's just a remake. But I think a good new Tales for 3DS could work out well.

Bravely Default had like 5 different demos, in-store promotion, and i think it was also adverticed on TV.

Still small-time compared to SS marketing. BD also had REALLY good legs for a JRPG.

Scum

Do you really think they can? I'm not saying this in a combative way or anything, I'm actually interested in hearing a plausible scenario where Sony is able to turn the Vita around worldwide in a way where it is a healthy and viable platform for both developers and publishers. I feel it is so hard, especially with the market it is today and the competition it faces, that it is virtually impossible. Anything which could have a chance of creating such a turn around would be stuff beyond Sony's control. What do you think they could do?

I just don't understand why Sony didn't work theirs arses' off and get some of the multiplatform games available for the Vita only. Games like God Eater 2 or FFX HD shouldn't be found anywhere else. That might have helped a lot.

Fisico

Do you really think they can? I'm not saying this in a combative way or anything, I'm actually interested in hearing a plausible scenario where Sony is able to turn the Vita around worldwide in a way where it is a healthy and viable platform for both developers and publishers. I feel it is so hard, especially with the market it is today and the competition it faces, that it is virtually impossible. Anything which could have a chance of creating such a turn around would be stuff beyond Sony's control. What do you think they could do?

I don't know.
If they could get japanese publishers to support the hardware as Bamco is doing that would be a first.

I'm not saying it will be on par with PSP LTD, just that it could be a plateform healthier than the latest if they manage to deal with it decently (and protect it against piracy), dropping the price in America and PAL with a bit marketing , publishing more japanese titles worldwide, make a good use of the Gaikai's technology, make a bundle with PS4, improve the tools that help porting a PS3 game for Vita and attract more western AAA games like AC Liberations.

It's not impossible, very hard would be more accurate, it's just up to them if they want the hardware to sell 20M or closer to 60M in its lifespan.

Keyouta

Awesome.

See, Sony / Game Devs, make attractive software and people will buy it. Now, we just need some other games at that level of quality!

Top Bottom