• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

There are some posters also in this forum that seem to think Capcom hates PSV , some are "joking" while others are not.

Hint:

Konami is releasing PSV game next week and there are rumors of Pes Vita too
Sega is releasing Vita games
Tecmo is releasing Vita games
Namco is releasing Vita games
SE has Vita game in production
Atlus has Vita game in production
Marvelous has plenty of Vita games

Capcom has ZERO games in production for vita.

Laguna

Banned
Yeah, obviously Access would have pulled out all the stops and made it a graphical tour de force like Deadly Premonition if it was intended to be console game from the start...

You miss the point, due to its underwhelming graphics, their experience with handhelds and supposedley relatively easy porting between PSV and PS3, why aren´t they making a cheap port for PSV since it is a system that has seen a price drop recently and a good marketing push?

Hint:

Never wonder why that was? And why it will change in, oh I don't know, October?

Hint:

Looking at the actual details of what most of those publishers have announced for Vita, there really isn't that vast a gulf between their support (late ports, multiplatform titles) and Capcom's nonexistent support. Marvelous is the only one that seems to have a genuine commitment to the platform, as they're putting out multiple exclusives.

Never wonder why that was? And why it will change in, oh I don't know, October?

SamBishop alt account confirmed, LOL.

Nibel

No company hates any platform, they just look which is the best fit for them and their goals, that's it

I can see Capcom getting on board when the Vita is getting healthier; the last week and this one were nice, so let's hope that the Vita will continue to succeed somehow since Capcom always had some nead handheld efforts in the past

No company hates any platform, they just look which is the best fit for them and their goals, that's it

I can see Capcom getting on board when the Vita is getting healthier; the last week and this one were nice, so let's hope that the Vita will continue to succeed somehow since Capcom always had some nead handheld efforts in the past

Few things are completely impossible, but all indications thus far are that Capcom is completely, 100% done with supporting Vita. They haven't announced anything at all for it since UMvC3 at TGS 2011, nearly a year and a half ago.

Around E3 last year, Sven confirmed that they had additional Vita projects in development, but since then, he's changed his tune; he outright refused to answer a question about whether Capcom had any further support planned, even as he's been perfectly happy on multiple occasions to confirm the existence of unannounced Wii U projects.

I expect SE's final vita project to be FFX as well

As with SFxT Vita, I suspect there's a contractual obligation involved.

Nibel

Few things are completely impossible, but all indications thus far are that Capcom is completely, 100% done with supporting Vita. They haven't announced anything at all for it since UMvC3 at TGS 2011, nearly a year and a half ago.

Around E3 last year, Sven confirmed that they had additional Vita projects in development, but since then, he's changed his tune; he outright refused to answer a question about whether Capcom had any further support planned, even as he's been perfectly happy on multiple occasions to confirm the existence of unannounced Wii U projects.

I'm pretty sure that all you said is true, but the Vita isn't 3-5 years old and if it gets a good userbase, I can see them supporting the platform somehow even if it seems like they give a shit in the moment

They supported Sony with their PS4 showing and since Vita will become more important because of cross-play features, I wouldn't write the system off - I like to hope you know :lol

Nintendo

Apr. 24, 2013 - Fiscal Year Earnings Release [Scheduled]

Aw shit, this is when things are about to go down right? This will be really interesting to observe

User Tron

Sven only confirmed plans for other Vita projects, probably those plans "changed".

I'm pretty sure that all you said is true, but the Vita isn't 3-5 years old and if it gets a good userbase, I can see them supporting the platform somehow even if it seems like they give a shit in the moment

They supported Sony with their PS4 showing and since Vita will become more important because of cross-play features, I wouldn't write the system off - I like to hope you know :lol

That's the chicken/egg dilemma Vita is stuck in, which is why I'm all but certain that there won't be any real recovery. Barring a miracle (SS becoming the next MHP, GE2/FFX selling more on Vita, etc.), it won't "get a good userbase" without significantly improved support from the major third parties, but those third parties won't change their minds at this point unless hardware sales improve quite a bit.

Aw shit, this is when things are about to go down right? This will be really interesting to observe

They'll definitely need one or two more blowout Nintendo Directs along the lines of January's, to say the least.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sony's first party content is hugely lacking, and the PS4 reveal stuff was rather depressing in how backwards looking their software was compared to the hardware and social side.

For me the Vita is a flawed piece of hardware backed by little strategy; but this is not really why its struggling. Its struggling because Sony are not good at making games.
What do you mean with backwards looking? And flawed piece of hardware?

I do believe Final Fantasy X HD actually entered in development just few months ago. If after one year and a half they can just show polygonal models and that's all, it means they don't have much materials. It's not that Square Enix is not willing to show what they have, if any.
It is possible, but i'm not sure. According to Nomura, Kingdom Hearts HD was decided before Final Fantasy X HD was decided, and Kingdom Hearts HD was released today. It depends on what they mean with "decided" though, but it took a really long time to get it released at least.

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/nomura-talks-kingdom-hearts-1-5-hd-remix-development

It looks low budget and also technically weak, a PSV port could have been achievable but obviously they don´t deem PSV to be a healthy system and didn´t even care about Sonys price cut and marketing push.
I think it a 3DS port is also possible technically, but that doesnt seem to come.

Sven only confirmed plans for other Vita projects, probably those plans "changed".
Well, there are indications that both MHP3rd HD and E.X.Troopers were possibly Vita bound at one point. Dave Reeves also confirmed a 2nd launch window title that never materialised (maybe Monhan).

I wasn't referring to any specific game, just any public statements by Capcom about Vita and why they all started to go the same way soon after they jumped into bed with Nintendo.

Spill the beans bro.

He doesn't have any beans to spill; I'm not sure if he's just stating speculation as fact or joining the list of quasi-insiders who have confidently predicted big announcements for Vita that never materialized (Sam Bishop, James Mielke, a couple current GAFers I'll refrain from naming), but either way... this is a sales thread. The insinuation that a Nintendo moneyhat is the only thing that would dissuade Capcom from throwing its weight behind Vita is laughable at best.

I wasn't referring to any specific game, just any public statements by Capcom about Vita and why they all started to go the same way soon after they jumped into bed with Nintendo.

Given the gulf between SE and KojiPro's support of PSP compared to their support for Vita, are Nintendo moneyhats responsible for that, too? Did they also moneyhat GE2 to prevent it from being a Vita exclusive?

Your conspiracy theory might make some modicum of sense if every other major JP third party were putting out high-profile Vita exclusives, but as I said above: in reality, there simply isn't that wide a gap between Capcom's non-support and the level of commitment other third parties are showing.

SmokyDave

I'm pretty sure Capcom are content to support just the 3DS this generation. They were fairly prevalent on the PSP but then they also promised DmC and RE and never delivered so perhaps they didn't find the device to their liking.

Interestingly, Christian Svensson flat-out denied that MH was ever 'aimed at' Vita just the other day, and I'm totally inclined to believe him.

The total lack of Capcom support is a shame, but it is what it is.

I'm gonna put it in very simple words: It's not about what I want, it's about whether or not it makes sense for Sony as a company. And again it's more criticism aimed at of some of their franchises (most notably Killzone/Resistance/inFamous) rather than Soul Sacrifice for Vita.

But that makes no sense. The type of gameplay lends itself to handheld play more and the concept of supporting the floundering Vita with exclusives is also in Sony's best interests.

He said I was complaining Vita was getting games, whereas I'm not complaining that Vita is getting games, but rather saying that it might not be the smartest decision for Sony.

My personal feelings, whether I'm happy about it or not, is of no importance whatsoever. If Nintendo continues to milk Mario that may (or may not) be a good decision for them, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. This is a sales thread after all.

And being a sales thread, it is obvious that it is not the PS3 that needs help and it is doubtful the PS4 will need help either, given the support.

Does anyone else here think that, if SS has decent legs, let's say Demon's Souls like legs, Inafune and Marvelous will go ahead and reach out to Namco/SE/Konami/Capcom to bring out Souls Sacrilege on PSV/3DS? I'm actually rather surprised that Clap Hanz hasn't reached out to big publishers and brought out Cold Shots Golf for DS/3DS/Wii/U, same deal with Pyramid not reaching out and bringing out Bontapon on 3DS.

This overly reliance of SCEJ on 3rd parties is a big part of what makes them so vulnerable in their home country.

Also, I know I said I wasn't gonna make a prediction on next week's vita's numbers, but I think I will. I see steins;gate is releasing then. I also see the sales for most games are rather small, except for one PSP game that broke 100K. I figure this PSV release is expected to be niche (<10K) correct? Why did the PSP game break 100K anyway?

I am not sure if this was meant to be funny but SCE OWN's the IP for Hot shots Golf, Patapon, Soul Sacrifice and Demon souls. Chances are the reason you see a dark souls was an understanding/agreement between From and SCEJ and the fact that alot of elements were changed from the IPs. Hence the relative speed of the release. There is nothing in place that suggest the second party games you mention have the ability to be remade under a different banner and escape legal repercussions. Also none of the games you mention will make or break a Sony console they do help bolster the library and general opinion.

I could be not recalling this correctly but wasn't there something similar between the 360 and the PS3 at the start of the gen? Simply seemed like the PS3 didn't rank high on capcom's list until the base became to large to ignore. Love between the two soured?

serplux

I'm pretty sure Capcom are content to support just the 3DS this generation. They were fairly prevalent on the PSP but then they also promised DmC and RE and never delivered so perhaps they didn't find the device to their liking.

Interestingly, Christian Svensson flat-out denied that MH was ever 'aimed at' Vita just the other day, and I'm totally inclined to believe him.

I think what made their decision is when they saw that Street Fighter x Tekken did less than 5,000 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did less than 8,000 on the Vita, while Super Street Fighter 4 did 137,000 (and got them a million worldwide) on the 3DS. I just feel like they gave up.

On another note, I wonder why they never decided to bring another fighting game to the 3DS after their first game did really well (being the best selling platform for the game).

I think what made their decision is when they saw that Street Fighter x Tekken did less than 5,000 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did less than 8,000 on the Vita, while Super Street Fighter 4 did 137,000 (and got them a million worldwide). I just feel like they gave up.

On another note, I wonder why they never decided to bring another fighting game to the 3DS after their first game did really well (being the best selling platform for the game).

Wait what?!? Do you have a source on that? That seems really low!

Maybe fighters just don't receive as much attention. I am curious about Blazblue's numbers now.

I think what made their decision is when they saw that Street Fighter x Tekken did less than 5,000 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did less than 8,000 on the Vita, while Super Street Fighter 4 did 137,000 (and got them a million worldwide) on the 3DS. I just feel like they gave up.

You're saying the 3DS version of SSFIV outsold the other versions?! o_O

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think what made their decision is when they saw that Street Fighter x Tekken did less than 5,000 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 did less than 8,000 on the Vita, while Super Street Fighter 4 did 137,000 (and got them a million worldwide). I just feel like they gave up.

Naah, I don't think Capcom suddenly changed their ideas on Vita after seeing MvC3 and especially Street Fighter x Tekken sales compared to Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. It's just that 3DS gained traction exploding in Japan while Vita started showing quite early signs of not moving acceptable amount of units.

But still I'd like to see another figthing game on 3DS from Capcom. Though right now the problem is that it'd certainly be a port and...what can they port? Tatsunoko's license expired (._.), the only fighting game incoming from them is a Darkstalkers Remaster for XBLA/PSN over here.

jcm

More like PSP, and 3DS had the big guns coming

linecompare.php

EDIT:
Added Vita for comparison.

That LTD chart is deceptive, though. 3DS had a big launch and then flat lined. If you get rid of the first two weeks, the 3DS's weekly sales rate looks very much like the PS3's, until it winds up taking off like a rocket:

linecompare.php

test_account

XP-39C²
I could be not recalling this correctly but wasn't there something similar between the 360 and the PS3 at the start of the gen? Simply seemed like the PS3 didn't rank high on capcom's list until the base became to large to ignore. Love between the two soured?
I think it had more to do with that Xbox 360 was released over a year earlier. Other than Dead Rising and Lost Planet, i think that pretty much every Capcom game was also released for PS3. Well, there is also Monster Hunter Frontier and those two Dead Rising 2 downloadable titles as well, but i think that is more due to moneyhat/intencives. There is also Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, but that is a Kinect game, so it makes sense that it is for Xbox 360 only.

Naah, I don't think Capcom suddenly changed their ideas on Vita after seeing MvC3 and especially Street Fighter x Tekken sales compared to Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. It's just that 3DS gained traction exploding in Japan while Vita started showing quite early signs of not moving acceptable amount of units.

But still I'd like to see another figthing game on 3DS from Capcom. Though right now the problem is that it'd certainly be a port and...what can they port? Tatsunoko's license expired (._.), the only fighting game incoming from them is a Darkstalkers Remaster for XBLA/PSN over here.

Late port of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? SSFIV3D came out a year after the PS360 versions IIRC.

There's also Tekken X Street Fighter, but that's Namco's side I think.

Or they could even make an exclusive?

serplux

You're saying the 3DS version of SSFIV outsold the other versions?! o_O

Well, according to Capcom, the PS3/360 versions sold 1.8 million combined, while the 3DS game did 1.1 million. I'm assuming close to an even split between the two, but even if it wasn't, the 3DS version did very well in comparison.

Nintendo x Capcom. In my veins.

Huff

Banned
He doesn't have any beans to spill; I'm not sure if he's just stating speculation as fact or joining the list of quasi-insiders who have confidently predicted big announcements for Vita that never materialized (Sam Bishop, James Mielke, a couple current GAFers I'll refrain from naming), but either way... this is a sales thread. The insinuation that a Nintendo moneyhat is the only thing that would dissuade Capcom from throwing its weight behind Vita is laughable at best.

Given the gulf between SE and KojiPro's support of PSP compared to their support for Vita, are Nintendo moneyhats responsible for that, too? Did they also moneyhat GE2 to prevent it from being a Vita exclusive?

Your conspiracy theory might make some modicum of sense if every other major JP third party were putting out high-profile Vita exclusives, but as I said above: in reality, there simply isn't that wide a gap between Capcom's non-support and the level of commitment other third parties are showing.

Well for one konami doesn't make games anymore

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Late port of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? SSFIV3D came out a year after the PS360 versions IIRC.

There's also Tekken X Street Fighter, but that's Namco's side I think.

Or they could even make an exclusive?

A late port of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 would do jackshit. The game came out in November 2011, it'd be two years later. No one would buy it.

The only way would be exclusive. But...what fighting game could be exclusive to 3DS? Right now, I can think of only two possibilities: Power Stone 3 (eeeeeh), and...Nintendo v.s. Capcom.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Well, according to Capcom, the PS3/360 versions sold 1.8 million combined, while the 3DS game did 1.1 million. I'm assuming close to an even split between the two, but even if it wasn't, the 3DS version did very well in comparison

Probably worldwide was the majority of those sales, but I do remember hearing somebody say that fighting games don't do particularly well in Japan anymore.

Well, according to Capcom, the PS3/360 versions sold 1.8 million combined, while the 3DS game did 1.1 million. I'm assuming close to an even split between the two, but even if it wasn't, the 3DS version did very well in comparison

I'm pretty sure there was significant channel-stuffing involved in reaching that figure, though.

Celine

That LTD chart is deceptive, though. 3DS had a big launch and then flat lined. If you get rid of the first two weeks, the 3DS's weekly sales rate looks very much like the PS3's, until it winds up taking off like a rocket:
Well Reggie would say "It's not my problem" if PS3 was constrained in the first weeks (80K in the first week? lol).
And I won't go in detail in the difference in launching in March compared to the holiday.

Even in that case the curve is better than PS3 (exclude the two weeks before the price cut that were hampered by the announcement).

New Gyrozetter 3DS screens from 4Gamer:

008.jpg

013.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

Looks much better than before, I wonder who's doing the 3DS version? Rocket Studio (Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road for Arcade) is doing the Arcade game.

jcm

Well Reggie would say "It's not my problem" if PS3 was constrained in the first weeks (80K in the first week? lol).
And I won't go in detail in the difference in launching in March compared to the holiday.

Even in that case the curve is better than PS3 (exclude the two weeks before the price cut that were hampered by the announcement).

You completely missed my point, apparently. The point is that except for the launch, the 3DS's sales sucked just like the PS3's sales sucked, right up until the price cut. The LTD chart makes the 3DS's situation look much better than it actually was.

And I think Reggie and the rest of his coworkers knew very well that it was their problem, which is why they took drastic action. And it's a good thing they did, because that drastic action worked wonders in Japan.

Laguna

Banned
You completely missed my point, apparently. The point is that except for the launch, the 3DS's sales sucked just like the PS3's sales sucked, right up until the price cut. The LTD chart makes the 3DS's situation look much better than it actually was.

And I think Reggie and the rest of his coworkers knew very well that it was their problem, which is why they took drastic action. And it's a good thing they did, because that drastic action worked wonders in Japan.

PS3 launched in 10.Nov 2006 with 80k units therefore it had half of Nov. and the very busy December and holidays shortly after to sell their systems. You cant say the same thing about a system that launched in February like 3DS did. I think it´s clear what period is more lucrative. Also there is no reason to ignore launch numbers. Why exactly do you even want to do that?

PS3 80k
3DS 375k

That´s just bias to cut them off the equation.

Celine

You completely missed my point, apparently.
No, I didn't.

Even when not considering the period of release and 3DS and PS3 very different supply situation initially the 3DS had a better trajectory (again exclude the two weeks before the price cut).

I totally agree with you (and Nintendo) that the growth curve wasn't enough before the price-cut for a system destined to dominate the japanese market.

Bruno MB

What I find surprising in regards to Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (or not because we are talking about Capcom), is that they somehow managed to ship an additional 100.000 units.

They announced in April 12, 2011 they had shipped 1 million units worldwide.

At least we know that Japan didn't see a single unit from that additional shipment since the game was extremely over shipped. First shipment was around 175.000 units which is crazy, it had a 25% sell-through. The latest sales figure I have for this title is 137.883 (Famitsu) as of December 25, 2011. It's worth noting that Media Create has it at 103.880 (as of January 01, 2012) so there is a huge discrepancy between these two trackers.

Top Bottom