• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Isn't the point of discussing sales numbers to see how many people own the product? If there are two in a pack then two people probably now own the game right? If it were buy one get one free, it wouldn't be any different. I realize it's one sku, but that number alone is meaningless if it doesn't represent the number of units...

It sounds to me like some people are trying to down play how many people own the game.

I could make a joke that someone bought the double pack and is now hunting high and low to find someone else that owns a vita to play it with but..... Oh I just did

AniHawk

In light of the latest NPD, I wonder if Fire Emblem can crack the million bar worldwide during this quarter.

unfortunately, i doubt it. it might be at 300k shipped in north america right now at best, and 500k in japan. without europe, it won't get there. nintendo doesn't reveal sales of games under 1m either, so we'll never get solid numbers on this one. if the european release happened in march though, we might've seen it happen.

unfortunately, i doubt it. it might be at 300k shipped in north america right now at best, and 500k in japan. without europe, it won't get there. nintendo doesn't reveal sales of games under 1m either, so we'll never get solid numbers on this one. if the european release happened in march though, we might've seen it happen.

Why is EU release delayed ?

You typically expect such things from publishers like RSG or Ghostlight with limited workforce but Nintendo themselves ?

Celine

I think we'll get them though this page if it indeed can reach 1 million:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html

test_account

XP-39C²
Do people here believe that the majority of the Soul Sacrifice Double Pack was bought by single users with the intention to keep both copies for themself? Personally i dont. I dont see why it matters what the tracker says in this case, the Double Pack is one SKU, so it is naturally that they only track it as one unit sold. What i'm mostly interested in is knowing how many who wanted to buy and play the game.

Do people here believe that the majority of the Soul Sacrifice Double Pack was bought by single users with the intention to keep both copies for themself? Personally i dont. I dont see why it matters what the tracker says in this case, the Double Pack is one SKU, so it is naturally that they only track it as one unit sold. What i'm mostly interested in is knowing how many who wanted to buy and play the game.

More importantly why are people arguing about it?

115,000 ish SKU's sold
140,00 ish copies in players hands

Its the same thing. People just arguing for arguments sake it feels.

test_account

XP-39C²
More importantly why are people arguing about it?

115,000 ish SKU's sold
140,00 ish copies in players hands

Its the same thing. People just arguing for arguments sake it feels.
Maybe someone thought there was an arguement that the sales trackers should count the double pack as two units sold, but i dont know. A Double Pack will always affect the tracked sales numbers, same thing if there is a game being bundled with system hardware. If comparison should be done to other games, i think that Double Packs and hardware bundles should be taken into concideration, otherwise it might be an unfair comparison if one only compare the numbers directly up towards eachother and dont concider any other factors.

But that is true, we know how many SKUs that were sold and how many copies that are in players hands as you mentioned. I think it is good that we have both these data points.

Maybe someone thought there was an arguement that the sales trackers should count the double pack as two units sold, but i dont know. A Double Pack will always affect the tracked sales numbers, same thing if there is a game being bundled with system hardware.

But that is true, we know how many SKUs that were sold and how many copies that are in players hands as you mentioned. I think it is good that we have both these data points.

Yeah I think its pretty interesting to see how popular things like double packs are. In this case it seems to have done OK with about 40k copies put in peoples hands from the double pack alone.

would be nice to see how many were gained from pack ins with vitas but I guess thats not gonna happen.

Yeah I think its pretty interesting to see how popular things like double packs are. In this case it seems to have done OK with about 40k copies put in peoples hands from the double pack alone.

would be nice to see how many were gained from pack ins with vitas but I guess thats not gonna happen.

17k of the vita bundle were sold

Pics taken on wednesday and thursday

Vita_SS.png

There is also a trade-off to take into account, for what concerns the publisher. A double pack means selling two copies for (just a bit more) one; hence, more players (and being mainly a co-op game it is a positive thing) but also less total potential sales. The double copy might well take the role of a used copy: no revenue for the publisher but still a copy in consumer's hand.

I don't think they care whether they sell two single games or one double pack, at this point they're pretty much happy with whatever they get. Besides, realistically every single double pack is considered two people playing anyway, the chances of someone buying a double pack just to resell one is pretty low compared to splitting that double pack's cost with a friend.

Laguna

Banned
02./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 92.396 / NEW

10./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice: "United Front" Double Pack <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥7.980) - 22.050 / NEW

(¥5.980)
(¥7.980)

Actually it´s more interesting that a game with such a local multiplayer focus didn´t favour more the double pack. Because you get a second copy for a third of the price of the single unit. Atleast more interesting than argueing about a difference of 20k extra units.

Actually it´s more interesting that a game with such a local multiplayer focus didn´t favour more the double pack. Because you get a second copy for a third of the price of the single unit. Atleast more interesting than argueing about a difference of 20k extra units.

Its a digital + retail copy right?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Level 5 announced that Yokai (?) Watch will be released this summer on 3DS. Good for them to get it out before Nintendo drop the Pokebomb in October.

I've never seen so much site hit begging in my life...

And your contribution to society is ... what?

No, two physical copies. I think it´s obvious that some just bought the double pack to resell the second copy due to the strong used market in Japan. Atleast that´s something I would do.

51Wdw-UJTmL.jpg

Makes sense then, was worried people might buy it for two different types of copies.
I do wonder what a Pokemon-Hunter type game would do.

Level 5 announced that Yokai (?) Watch will be released this summer on 3DS. Good for them to get it out before Nintendo drop the Pokebomb in October.

This Summer? Mmh.
Good that they're trying to anticipat Pokémon.
Bad because that should be a game with long legs, at least until the holiday season, and it will have them killed by Pokémon.

stryke

Seriously man... The mods allow it, don't question their decision.

I'm not. He asked a question, I honestly answered.

It's very clear that the mods allow it, I can tell from the post history. However it's a behaviour I don't see often here. That's why it confuses me.

Laguna

Banned
This Summer? Mmh.
Good that they're trying to anticipat Pokémon.
Bad because that should be a game with long legs, at least until the holiday season, and it will have them killed by Pokémon.

I agree. Obviously there are some benefits to release before Pokemon, but taking a closer look it´s supposed to be released in October so it will be released close to it anyway. But I think that releasing it after the influx of new users thanks to Pokemon and a release in the holdiay season (mid December) they could have benefitted from a larger userbase and December.

No, two physical copies. I think it´s obvious that some just bought the double pack to resell the second copy due to the strong used market in Japan or atleast buy it with someone I intend to play this game with.

Not so sure about it. My local Tsutaya and all the other game stores in the city won't let you sell back dual pack copies. No clue about other places.

Also as a random aside, Sword Art Online Infinity Moment is completely sold out in my city. I'll be heading into Nagasaki tomorrow to check things out there as well, but word on the street seems to be that it's selling really well.

Not so sure about it. My local Tsutaya and all the other game stores in the city won't let you sell back one of the dual pack copies. No clue about other places.

Also as a random aside, Sword Art Online Infinity Moment is completely sold out in my city. I'll be heading into Nagasaki tomorrow to check things out there as well, but word on the street seems to be that it's selling really well.

Well, the animation sure is popular.

stryke

You really don't read GAF enough. :lol

(And in your defense, if you didn't know what he was talking about I can understand your reaction :p)

I only became a full member like a month ago, wasn't really a lurker either.

Honestly it was just confusing, that's all :S It's a bunch of links to a site in arabic (??? I don't know) in a primarily english forum. Is it a personal blog of some sort or a famous media outlet?

king zell

I've never seen so much site hit begging in my life...

i said before that my site readers don't care about this stuff and am only posting this since GAF is the only place in the net that cares or i had stopped posting this stuff long ago.

so at least i can get a couple of clicks and the mods here for years didn't mind that.

test_account

XP-39C²
That should stop the shortage/sold out talk now.

Also with bundle is only at 17K, it means the drop off from last week without bundle is not that bad.
People desperately trying to convince other people that the double pack should count as two games. In the same vein of people saying "yeah but it sold 30% in the digital store!" or "yeah but it was sold-out!" (it was not as clearly showed by M-C).

Soul Sacrifice sold really well, why bothering to talk about this useless stuffs?
Wasnt the sold out talk only about some stores? And also at Amazon for a shorter period of time after its launch.

I agree. I think the double pack is a good decision for a new IP like this.

Not so sure about it. My local Tsutaya and all the other game stores in the city won't let you sell back one of the dual pack copies. No clue about other places.
I was wondering about this. Seeing that the double pack have different cover on the boxes, it would be very easy to identify which copy that is the standard version and which copy that is from the double pack.

SmokyDave

No, two physical copies. I think it´s obvious that some just bought the double pack to resell the second copy due to the strong used market in Japan or atleast buy it with someone I intend to play this game with.
You're losing your marbles and it's hilarious to watch.

Laguna

Banned
You're losing your marbles and it's hilarious to watch.

What´s your problem Dave. So according to you people bought the double pack version to decorate their shelves with two copies of the same game instead of reselling or sharing it with someone else?

SmokyDave

What´s your problem Dave. So according to you people bought the double pack version to decorate their shelves instead of reselling or sharing it with someone else?
I should imagine that 2 people wanting to play SS split the costs of the double pack between themselves. Reselling something clearly not meant for resale would be a risky business.

I just find such pie-in-the-sky 'obvious' conclusions hilarious in a thread where we're constantly reminded that it's about cold, hard numbers.

Zenaku

I have to ask again, why do people think the double pack is only being counted as a single copy? If it were being counted as 2, then it'd put the MC sales in line with Famitsu (MC: 103,421 (with 11,025 double packs); Famitsu: 105,863).

If MC count games packaged with systems as seperate sales, would they really count 2 copies packaged together as a single unit? I don't buy it.

Top Bottom