• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

I think it's decent numbers, this is not a sequel. At best it would have sold around 70k.

PS4 will go down below 3DS and Vita next week. There's not much helping it, with no releases on a horizon, I don't see how it could sell well. Question is how low will it drop to.

Vita and 3DS numbers are getting really really close. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Vita outselling 3DS this month (Project Diva f2).

What was the opening for Ar Tornelica Qoga? I know Ar Tornelico 2 opened with 72,000. 27.037 for Ar no Surge is kinda disappointing.

PS4 Numbers will be better next week than vita and 3ds. Ground Zeroes =small boost to sales.(I hope)

Foshy

Im not sure about that, 3DS hardware seems to be in decline (saturation?), but the software still seems to be selling pretty well.
3DS decline is mostly due to the big amount of people it already reached and it's something natural. The almighty DS suffered this a lot in the fourth year, it's natural. Obviously, Nintendo should do something in order to increase them again, but the reasons for it's decline are much more "natural" than what we're seeing for Wii U, PS4 bad sales and Vita mediocre at best ones.

Plus, actually, software is doing great in 3DS right now, maybe better than last year, at the same time: many titles selling, many different titles selling. Even Vita can say to be a good platform for specific titles and, I'll add, even for multi releases with PS3, despite the loooow installed base.

I fear you're jumping a bit too much the gun, especially when saying that 3DS successor will not even sell half of 3DS sales. Especially if you were referring only to Japan sales.
3DS software is still doing great because it has a big install base, I agree. While it's still around, it's a perfectly viable platform to develop on (and to a lesser extent, Vita too).

But no way the successor will do well. Especially with how fast mobile tech is evolving.

mclem

I fear you're jumping a bit too much the gun, especially when saying that 3DS successor will not even sell half of 3DS sales. Especially if you were referring only to Japan sales.

If nothing else, I would be unsurprised if there's no Sony handheld stacking up against it next gen. It might inherit a few series as a result (those that don't migrate to mobile, of course)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It was inevitable for the PS4 ain't no way a comparatively expensive console with virtually no games that target that specific demographic would continue selling high based only on hype.

At least if it was released during Christmas the install base would be higher and attempt to tempt more Japanese publishers to develop games for the thing.

Makai

Wow, PS4 sales fell off a cliff this month. Was this expected? I'm very curious how Xbox One will fare in Japan.

DaBoss

What, God Eater Burst released on the psp.
And? God Eater isn't Monster Hunter. God Eater Burst sold less than God Eater, btw. Not saying I expected it to sell more though. I was solely talking about MH.

Every expansion of MH has sold more than the main game, but it probably won't this time since it is on the same platform. Probably won't matter to Capcom since the combined sales of the main game and the expansion would probably be larger than if they were on different platforms.

Kid Ying

Aren't almost all of those sales for Wii Fit U from system bundles? Doesn't really count if so. Given how the standalone software bombed, I doubt people were picking up those bundles for Fit U. Especially since the bundles included 1-2 other games.
If theres is a bundle out of those You got to count its the fit one. It cost 2k yen more, which is also the price for the fit meter, the one who gave You the software for the fit for free.

Whoever bought the bundle bought because they wanted wii fit. Thr other games were also in the other bundle, the only add of this one, besides the price, was the software and hardware necessary to play wii fit for the same price of the standalone version.

kswiston

Not really sure what Sony's strategy was with the PS4 in Japan. Perhaps they should have waited a month an launched with MGS5 Ground Zeroes.

I suppose it doesn't help that a large number of the current Japanese PS3 developers are basically making up-rezzed PS2 games with a few modern graphics tweaks, and therefore have no reason to switch to a new, more powerful console.

If theres is a bundle out of those You got to count its the fit one. It cost 2k yen more, which is also the price for the fit meter, the one who gave You the software for the fit for free.

Whoever bought the bundle bought because they wanted wii fit. Thr other games were also in the other bundle, the only add of this one, besides the price, was the software and hardware necessary to play wii fit for the same price of the standalone version.

fair point

u_neek

Really glad to see Yokai Watch continuing to sell well.

Really surprised (still) at GTAV's amazing legs.

Really hoping Sony announces some Japanese killer apps very fucking soon!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah I am firmly on the Japan console development is largely doomed bandwagon. Mega AAA titles geared towards the west will still exist- everything else.....I dunno.

I've been really wondering about them this gen. SO far, they don't seem to have more then token support. Western devs seem to be the ones who have really embraced next gen.

They also took a while to embrace last gen, and I would say that the delay is going to be longer now.

Major houses like Capcom and Konami don't count though.

crinale

And? God Eater isn't Monster Hunter. God Eater Burst sold less than God Eater, btw. Not saying I expected it to sell more though. I was solely talking about MH.

Every expansion of MH has sold more than the main game, but it probably won't this time since it is on the same platform. Probably won't matter to Capcom since the combined sales of the main game and the expansion would probably be larger than if they were on different platforms.

MHP2: 1.7 million
MHP2G: 2.5 million + 1.7 million with re-release

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'm talking about expected drop off of expansion games. Any half decent hunting game in this genre had the expansions selling decently perhaps not as great as the original but close enough.

Your MH point is kinda pointless we have one datum, you can't make conclusions either way on it that's why I was referring to the genre itself rather than just MH and why I didn't say it increased on the expansion but the expansions at least sell well.

Takao

Banned
The original SS had much better numbers if I recall?

Yes:

02./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 92.396 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice: "United Front" Double Pack <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥7.980) - 22.050 / NEW

(there was also that nice looking bundle)

Looking back at it, Vita also had Tales of Hearts R on this week last year. The price cut was actually the week before though.

The release schedule of the 3DS makes me think that we won't be seeing it climb back up next week. Interested in seeing if Ground Zeroes will provide a bump to the PS4, or if they'll settle for the PS3 release.

kswiston

I'm not sure if being 12 million units behind is "close to beating". :p People are putting too much importance on weekly hardware sales.

Momentum is important if what you are interested in is getting games for your system.

Wii will end the generation on top of PS3 in Japan, but I don't think you can argue that the PS3 beat the Wii pretty soundly these past 3 years or so.

I don't think we will see that sort of reversal with the current handhelds, but it would be nice to see the Vita get continued support. 20-30k sales a week is a good start. Especially at a time where nothing else is doing much better.

#Champion
#BeastMode
2014 should be renamed to 20V1T4.

In more Serious note, Please come to the west Ar no Surge! We might lessen the burn of you bombing on Japan.

L~A

Honestly, I'm fully expecting the Vita to start outselling the 3DS for the rest of the month starting next week, but I could be wrong (as I often am, actually :p).

Foshy

Yes:

02./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07}
10./00. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice: "United Front" Double Pack <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥7.980) - 22.050 / NEW

(there was also that nice looking bundle)

Looking back at it, Vita also had Tales of Hearts R on this week last year. The price cut was actually the week before though.

you forgot the numbers ;)

Scum

3DS decline is mostly due to the big amount of people it already reached and it's something natural. The almighty DS suffered this a lot in the fourth year, it's natural. Obviously, Nintendo should do something in order to increase them again, but the reasons for it's decline are much more "natural" than what we're seeing for Wii U, PS4 bad sales and Vita mediocre at best ones.

Plus, actually, software is doing great in 3DS right now, maybe better than last year, at the same time: many titles selling, many different titles selling. Even Vita can say to be a good platform for specific titles and, I'll add, even for multi releases with PS3, despite the loooow installed base.

I blame the price tag for the 3DS games. NCL needs to lower them. Aren't they selling for the equivalent of £$39.99 in Japan?? £$19.99 - £$29.99 or bust.

DaBoss

MHP2: 1.7 million
MHP2G: 2.5 million + 1.7 million with re-release
I specifically mentioned that the PSP MH games were released during the MH boom, so they aren't an apt comparison.
They also never were sold on the same platform. MH4G is pretty much the first one since the MH boom (it was still growing during the time of MHP1, MHP2, and MHP2ndG).

I wouldn't be surprised if some people skip out on MH4G since MH4 is already available on the platform.
I'm talking about expected drop off of expansion games. Any half decent hunting game in this genre had the expansions selling decently perhaps not as great as the original but close enough.

Your MH point is kinda pointless we have one datum, you can't make conclusions either way on it that's why I was referring to the genre itself rather than just MH and why I didn't say it increased on the expansion but the expansions at least sell well.
I pointed that out since you mentioned MH and MH expansion games don't drop from mainline games.

And this is why even Japanese companies are seeing Japan as not as important as everywhere else.

Also, why that horrible Fossil Fighters game sells as well as it does continues to confuse and amaze me.

crinale

Honestly, I'm fully expecting the Vita to start outselling the 3DS for the rest of the month starting next week, but I could be wrong (as I often am, actually :p).

TBF nearly everyone who wants 3DS has one... and it's no fragile device by any means (I'd argue it's very robust instead).
I'm wondering if Nintendo would introduce 3DSi. IMO 2DS won't do much in Japan.

I specifically mentioned that the PSP MH games were released during the MH boom.
I pointed that out since you mentioned MH and MH expansion games don't drop from mainline games.

I'd argue that's false. It was MHP2G that has really caused the "boom"... since the PSP1000 era it had too many problems to be popular among kids.

wrowa

Weekly software sales are very important to show trends.

That's why I wrote weekly hardware sales. When a platform has already sold 15 million units, strong weekly sales aren't as important as long as software sales remain healthy - and that's definitely the case for the 3DS. The 3DS might be reaching market saturation, but its userbase is still very healthy and active.

yon61

Who's willing to bet that PS4 will not outsell Wii U? I think it will, but not for a long time, not until FFXV and KH3 at least.

Top Bottom