• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

smbu2000

Xillia 2 had a target of 650k. It appears Bamco did not expect the drop-off.

The price for the game dropped very quickly as well. I picked up a Xillia 2 with the special Xillia 2 DS3 controller late last year for just over 6,000 yen (original price was near 13,000 yen). (I needed an extra DS3 and it went well with my Xillia PS3.)
The game by itself was selling for 2,700 yen iirc (original price over 8,000 yen) and still included the first edition/pre-order bonuses.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Completely anecdotal waiting for sellthrough in a few hours: Both azalyn and gamesmaya talk for a slow start for Dark Souls II comparing to the first entry.

launch aligned comparison

ibe9Xl69IvczM8.png

Man, PS4 better average above 20K a week going forward or its going to barely beat the PS3 by W10.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Completely anecdotal waiting for sellthrough in a few hours: Both azalyn and gamesmaya talk for a slow start for Dark Souls II comparing to the first entry.

Franchise fatigue? Or is it folks already giving up on PS3 games in Japan like they are in other regions because the PS4 is out?

Franchise fatigue? Or is it folks already giving up on PS3 games in Japan like they are in other regions because the PS4 is out?
I'm dying to play the game but I refuse to whip out my PS3 for it (tight on space here!). So I'm waiting for PC. Will eventually get ultimate PS4 edition as well :p

Its already at 35k, supply isn't a big issue like many people are making it out to be, how do you think it'll get back to 60k-70k?

TOX2 is definitely mainline.

Why do you think being PS3 exclusive makes Tales sell well? Graces was released on Wii and still sold well on the PS3, exclusivity doesn't change things much.

Theres a clear difference to how Tales of Xillia sold and Tales of Graces F sold lol. Eve with Wii sales is still falls a 100k short or so.

Man, stop making excuses :p First you don't count Re-releases when someone told you that Yakuza sold better on PS2 than PS3 but later you counted MGS4 re-release to make a point of being "near 1 million" and now ToX2 is not a mainline game (but ToD 2 is) because it doesn't fit your criteria?

And to top it all you're calling silly and laughing at everyones explanation... it's time to give it some rest, trust me ;D

Except I did later on, hence counting the MGS release and I think most people would consider 900k as near a 1 million.

Tales Of Xillia 2 may be mainline in name but I don't believe one bit it has the selling power as a new mainline title. I fully expect Zesitiria to outsell ToX2.

Sigh, its really annoying when people enter conversations without reading the posts.

sörine;104194992 said:
You missed the point Chris was making there. No PS3 Tales sold between 500-600k, so your arbitrary range made no sense.

Two were. You keep wanting to dissmiss TOX2 but you really can't. lol context.

Combining all platforms TOV and TOG would also be over 500k each though.

I was just trying to find the barrier between Yakuza and Tales games. My point is they are pretty big franchises. The end.

Tales of Xillia 2 may be a mainline title in name but I certainly do not think it would have the same selling power as a new Tales of game like Zestiria.

Combining platforms would only be fair it PS3 got the games on the same day. Instead they were released as a new SKU with more content.

Richardbro

Neo Member
Are people really surprised at the PS4 sales? I thought it was common knowledge that Japan doesn't give a lot of shit about consoles any more and have moved on to handhelds / smartphones.

Orgen

Except I did later on, hence counting the MGS release and I think most people would consider 900k as near a 1 million.

Tales Of Xillia 2 may be mainline in name but I don't believe one bit it has the selling power as a new mainline title. I fully expect Zesitiria to outsell ToX2.

Sigh, its really annoying when people enter conversations without reading the posts.

I read all the posts thank you and I'd recommend you to do the same to get a new perspective ;)

You put a weird criteria to define "pretty big franchises" and when people rebated your opinion you changed the criteria to fit your argument. Just read your posts and the people quoting you and maybe you can see what I'm trying to say.

With that said, buy bit.trip runner 2 people! Amazing game :D Have a good night!

Ricky 7

Does anyone know what the LTD are for the 3 Smash Bros. games are in Japan. I would try to find them myself but I have absolutely no idea of where to look for them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Mario Kart 8 shows up in the pre-order top 20 for Comgnet stores more than 2 months before release.

The hype is real. Wii U is saved.

a lot of stores offering preorders with -very- aggressive price cuts - RRP 5980, most places preorder taking at 4980, some as low as 4680.

Pretty great all round.

oh and another minor note, though i am sure no one is really surprised :

Not many places carrying Phantom Breaker for the Vita... Sofmap seems to be about it.

a lot of stores offering preorders with -very- aggressive price cuts - RRP 5980, most places preorder taking at 4980, some as low as 4680.

Pretty great all round.

Yeah, my local Geo has had 'pre-orders' available for a couple of weeks now. Nothing for Just Dance or NES Remix 1+2 though, unsurprisingly.

http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

Mario Kart 8 shows up in the pre-order top 20 for Comgnet stores more than 2 months before release.

The hype is real. Wii U is saved.
It's coming!

01/03. [PS3] Persona 5 (Atlus, Winter 2014) – 991 votes
02/01. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix, TBA) – 799 votes
03/02. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) – 772 votes
04/06. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom, Fall 2014) – 689 votes
05/05. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 (Tecmo Koei, 03/20/14) – 625 votes

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/famitsus-wanted-issue-1319

DCharlie

again - tiny and anecdotal - weather yesterday was utterly horrific for a large portion of Japan. Tokyo got utterly thrashed with heavy rain - when i was in the shinjuku stores late evening i was -literally- the only customer. That said - I wouldn't expect DS2 to set the world on fire anyways, as great as the previous two games have been.

Empty store-wise? whilst i have DS2 already on import, did bring the temptation to get the ltd edition PS3 version which was in plentiful supply but... yeah... 12,800 yen... still a decent chunk of change ... and i know i will kick myself for not picking it up later today when it's out of stock. :/

Dragon

Banned
You don't hang out in many of these sales threads do you.

I've been mostly lurking in these threads for years. I'm just tired of people, including myself, crucifying people for being uninformed. Willful ignorance is worth such behavior, I don't feel like simply not knowing or making a mistake is. Hence my post :p. I'll go back to lurking now :).

DCharlie

I've been mostly lurking in these threads for years. I'm just tired of people, including myself, crucifying people for being uninformed. Willful ignorance is worth such behavior, I don't feel like simply not knowing or making a mistake is. Hence my post :p. I'll go back to lurking now :).

haha, ah look at the lighter side of it - i am the worlds shittiest predictor of sales - i am just down to providing mainly useless anecdotal on the ground snippets which have all the science behind them of Creationism. I have learned to just stay the hell away from predictions - just present what i can see anecdotally and as factually as i can and then just leave the science to the team.

I do reserve the right to produce horrendous predictions for MH games though - that's the law!

L Thammy

I don't think there's anything wrong with being wrong in and of itself, but sometimes it is genuinely funny.

I do reserve the right to produce horrendous predictions for MH games though - that's the law!

I was a lurker at the time. That was such a weird thing. I have no idea why people jumped on you for that.

Snakeyes

I do agree with you though in that they will ruin it by using an incredibly cheap and nasty screen. I love Nintendo games but I can't take the 3DS screen, it's beyond a joke for 2012 nevermind 2014...
I think they'll go with a 4.7-5'' 720p screen because of how abundant they are thanks to smartphone manufacturers. Would that be considered crappy just because 1080p screens exist? Also remember that the 3DS' PPI was comparable to that of the iPhone released a year prior to the system's announcement.

DCharlie

was a lurker at the time. That was such a weird thing. I have no idea why people jumped on you for that.

oh i deserved it to a large extent, but it's all in the past - it's been discussed to death and the fact still remains that i was horrifically wrong regardless of reasoning.

Not many places carrying Phantom Breaker for the Vita... Sofmap seems to be about it.

"retail" version has no card, just a download code, so you pay 3,000yen for a book, some DLC costumes and nothing else
is it a worth? Not in my opinion, probably retailers had the same thought, you can't sell it back due to the lack of the game card, so who cares about that version...

Amazon Japan : MGS V Ground Zeroes preorders for PS4 are now ahead of the PS3 version preorders for 2014.

I really think japanese gamers, even with the handheld dominance, would LOVE to play massively on PS4, just like a lot of western gamers. But they need some reasons for that, and who knows when the big japanese games will come on a regular basis : |

50k-80k bump perhaps?

pretty sure hes not being fully genuine with that hype Soa vita is still a month and a half from release and its had 2 versions in the comg preeorders for weeks now

also soulsac was a way bigger dropoff than i thought would happen

Shengar

also soulsac was a way bigger dropoff than i thought would happen

With the digital promotion "upgrade your SS just for 1000 yen", I don't think the dropoff is as severe as we thought. It depends on how well and aggresive Sony advertized the promotion.

RalchAC

With the digital promotion "upgrade your SS just for 1000 yen", I don't think the dropoff is as severe as we thought. It depends on how well and aggresive Sony advertized the promotion.

Oh, I thought there wasn't a digital upgrade. I asked it a couple of times and nobody answered.

Then I did an absolutely unrealistic prediction lol.

Shurayuki

There is no promotion for SoulSac Delta, read the thread! (promo is for the original SS)

Thanks guys.

I can't believe Melee sold less than 64. This doesn't bode well for the Wii U version but hopefully combined with the 3DS version it can pass SSB64.

Yeah I was a bit surprised at first, but at some point you just have to pay tribute to install base.
The site has HW: N64 sitting at ~5.54m units, Gamecube at 4,008,743 and Wii at 12,742,166. Smash Brothers is the third highest seller on N64, the Nr.1 seller on GC and 9th highest on Wii.
Of course performance has to be judged individually, but these two were above SB on 64 and dropped off on GC even further.

N64:Mario Kart - 1,711,661
GC: Mario Kart - 825,894

N64: 3D Mario - 1,639,921
GC 3D Mario - 789,989

The way I see it Melee had a very favorable drop compared to other software on the system and by looking at the Wii version performance, one can deduce that the franchise was restricted by/is dependent upon install base. That indeed doesn't bode well for the WiiU version, and how the handheld crowd reacts to Smash Brothers remains to be seen. They'll get one sale of the 3DS version from me though (DL vers. mind you), so I'm not worried ;P

BriBri

Apologies as I have no time to read the thread again this week so maybe already posted but some new 3DS games:- Bukigami and Puripura (the latter is a Pretty Rhythm sequel) coming this Summer by Takara Tomy Arts and Majin Bone by Bandai Namco this Fall.

The blog says Dark Souls II 80% sellthrough with a possible new shipment for the weekend.
:)

Nice. Still don't believe its going to outsell DS.

Amazon Japan : MGS V Ground Zeroes preorders for PS4 are now ahead of the PS3 version preorders for 2014.

I really think japanese gamers, even with the handheld dominance, would LOVE to play massively on PS4, just like a lot of western gamers. But they need some reasons for that, and who knows when the big japanese games will come on a regular basis : |

I'm expecting 2015.

disap.ed

I think they'll go with a 4.7-5'' 720p screen because of how abundant they are thanks to smartphone manufacturers. Would that be considered crappy just because 1080p screens exist? Also remember that the 3DS' PPI was comparable to that of the iPhone released a year prior to the system's announcement.

My guess is a qHD/540p with this size, this is pretty much the common resolution for mainstream phones of this size.

RalchAC

My guess is a qHD/540p with this size, this is pretty much the common resolution for mainstream phones of this size.

If they have two screens I expect it to be 540p (maybe lower screen a little lower). If it's one screen 720p.

I think 720p will be the best choice. It isn't that expensive right now and its price will decrease quite fast over the next 5 years since resolution is improving really fast on smartphones (we are already in 1080p or more for high end terminals, 720p is going to become the norm for mid and low end phones rather soon imo).

540p could be a problem if phone makers drop it in two or three years. Prices will rise since companies that buy them in massive amounts don't want it anymore.

Ricky 7

There is no promotion for SoulSac Delta, read the thread! (promo is for the original SS)

Yeah I was a bit surprised at first, but at some point you just have to pay tribute to install base.
The site has N64 sitting at ~5.54m units, Gamecube at 4,008,743 and Wii at 12,742,166. Smash Brothers is the third highest seller on N64, the Nr.1 seller on GC and 9th highest on Wii.
Of course performance has to be judged individually, but these two were above SB on 64 and dropped off on GC even further.

N64:Mario Kart - 1,711,661
GC: Mario Kart - 825,894

N64: 3D Mario - 1,639,921
GC 3D Mario - 789,989

The way I see it Melee had a very favorable drop compared to other software on the system and by looking at the Wii version performance, one can deduce that the franchise was restricted/is dependent upon install base. That indeed doesn't bode well for the WiiU version, and how the handheld crowd reacts to Smash Brothers remains to be seen. They'll get one sale of the 3DS version from me though (DL vers. mind you), so I'm not worried ;P

That 4 million worldwide LTD for Melee is wrong. It sold 4 million alone in North America (http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml) and 7 million worldwide (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/1u0FthaPxTSSeJelWm4Jt8TI0VJlTt5j). That's why I was surprised when you posted the Japanese LTDs for the games because it wasn't like the west where Melee outsold 64.

I agree with your reasoning though as to why 64 outsold Melee in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If they have two screens I expect it to be 540p (maybe lower screen a little lower). If it's one screen 720p.

I think 720p will be the best choice. It isn't that expensive right now and its price will decrease quite fast over the next 5 years since resolution is improving really fast on smartphones (we are already in 1080p or more for high end terminals, 720p is going to become the norm for mid and low end phones rather soon imo).

540p could be a problem if phone makers drop it in two or three years. Prices will rise since companies that buy them in massive amounts don't want it anymore.

720p has to be the minimum, no doubt, even if they are two screens, right due to the fact they're still going to be produced a lot in the future, while 540p...I don't think so.

Shurayuki

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4 Yodobashi stock situation @ 18:22 JPT

Stock everywhere; only one store with lower stock.

Shengar

?
This promo right?

Edited out: Nesfe has the info beflow

lol this is comedy gold Nesfe :p Let me post it again

"translation:
1000yen upgrade for owners of Soul Sacrifice.
Also, owners of Soul Sacrifice with PS+ can play delta for Free."

01705a7b-s.jpg

zIf you post it again that's fine too..more the merrier lol

Maybe I put it wrong, but my point that SSD not bombed as hard (or small) as we thought because of this promotion still stand.

Ricky 7

Those are the hardware numbers, apologies if I didn't make that clear.
Omg I'm so stupid lol, those numbers are so close to Smash Bros LTDs that I got mixed up since SSB64 is at 5 million worldwide, Melee at 4 million in America and Brawl near 12 million worldwide. =P But yeah I still agree with you.

Shurayuki

?
This promo right?

Maybe I put it wrong, but my point that SSD not bombed as hard (or small) as we thought because of this promotion still stand.

Yes, that promo. It's for the original.

Your translation is wrong. It actually says Soul Sacrifice is 1,000 yen for a limited time, and it is free for ps+ members during that time. Delta is regular price.

;P
It's some posts down on that page (100ppp).

Omg I'm so stupid lol, those numbers are so close to Smash Bros LTDs that I got mixed up since SSB64 is at 5 million worldwide, Melee at 4 million in America and Brawl near 12 million worldwide. =P But yeah I still agree with you.

Haha no worries.

Top Bottom