• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Expect XX Switch this Holiday season in Japan - maybe at the same time in the west or Q1 18 depending on the release schedule. No 3DS release for the west either.

Dont expect cross-play between 3DS and Switch version either - i think the Switch version will be much more of an improvement than a simple resolution upgrade and be one of the showcase titles for paid online multiplayer on Switch in addition to Splatoon, Mario Kart and Smash.

Oregano

Given Capcom's statements, I'm expecting it on both. Probably PC and maybe Xbox too.

They have two mobile games next fiscal year to boot. Very global strategy for a series they've said they want global success for, and are actively taking measures to ensure it.

I'd say a Switch and Xbox version are mutually exclusive because they'd imply two very different priorities.

cw_sasuke

Switch is pretty much the perfect response to that Capcom statement from a couple months ago - bringing MH to the Switch is bringing it to the big screen that many western gamers still prefer.

A new big multiplatforms MH isnt unlikely...though i have a hard time believing that Capcom would wait until the Switch is out if they wanted to invest in those system all along. Its not like console versions of previous titles would have killed the 3DS sales.

We will see...with SF and REVII - Sony and Capcom worked out some exclusive deals - maybe MH is next and could also be a showcase VR title (optional obv)..

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Switch is pretty much the perfect response to that Capcom statement from a couple months ago - bringing MH to the Switch is bringing it to the big screen that many western gamers still prefer.

A new big multiplatforms MH isnt unlikely...though i have a hard time believing that Capcom would wait until the Switch is out if they wanted to invest in those system all along. Its not like console versions of previous titles would have killed the 3DS sales.

We will see...with SF and REVII - Sony and Capcom worked out some exclusive deals - maybe MH is next and could also be a showcase VR title (optional obv)..

What's strange, when you think about it, is that Nintendo just did the same for SF at least with Ultra Street Fighter II (I mean, the game's a Switch exclusive so far), so we all know what this means

Ultimate Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - Director's Cut this Holiday

I made a post in the increased production thread, but it's actually scary what Nintendo could be lining up for the Switch in Japan this holiday.

Dragon Quest XI
Monster Hunter XX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (legs)
Splatoon 2 (legs)
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokémon Stars

Those are all potential million sellers. Monster Hunter and Pokémon have to be confirmed still, but they seem likely. In addition we could possibly see Super Smash Bros for Switch, Super Mario Maker Switch, and/or Animal Crossing w/ tie in to the mobile game. Pikmin 4 (rumored), Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade 2 are kind of small fry compared to the other titles, but they could appear also.

I don't think all of that will hit this year, but it is interesting to think about. I'm excited to see what Nintendo throws out there, they have a lot of flexibility right now and I think they have put themselves in a very strong position at least in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly, Capcom seems to have just been shifting back to multiplatform development like they used to do.

Umbrella Corps (PC/PS4) -> Resident Evil 7 (PC/XB1/PS4), as were all the remasters.

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC) -> Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (PC/XB1/PS4), also true of the MvC3 remaster.

Dead Rising 3 (XB1/PC) -> Dead Rising 4 (Timed Exclusive)

Putting a 3DS game on PS4 results in unacceptable graphics, and makes the series look like a joke to the Western console audience you're trying to reach. That's not true of a game with Switch in mind.

LordKano

I made a post in the increased production thread, but it's actually scary what Nintendo could be lining up for the Switch in Japan this holiday.

Dragon Quest XI
Monster Hunter XX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (legs)
Splatoon 2 (legs)
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokémon Stars

Those are all potential million sellers. Monster Hunter and Pokémon have to be confirmed still, but they seem likely. In addition we could possibly see Super Smash Bros for Switch, Super Mario Maker Switch, and/or Animal Crossing w/ tie in to the mobile game. Pikmin 4 (rumored), Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade 2 are kind of small fry compared to the other titles, but they could appear also.

I don't think all of that will hit this year, but it is interesting to think about. I'm excited to see what Nintendo throws out there, they have a lot of flexibility right now and I think they have put themselves in a very strong position at least in Japan.

Throw in Animal Crossing, I'm sure it's coming this fall, in addition to the mobile game. Also, I think Fire Emblem Warriors is confirmed for Fall.

Eolz

Throw in Animal Crossing, I'm sure it's coming this fall, in addition to the mobile game. Also, I think Fire Emblem Warriors is confirmed for Fall.

I think they've actually announced all their big new games for this year.
E3 will likely announce the ports they didn't want to announce yet (like Pokemon and SSB), but the rest is pretty full. That said, they'll surely announce it for 2018 soon, like they did with Fire Emblem.

Isn't FE:W at the end of summer in Japan? Or is that Xenoblade 2?

I mention both of those in the text below the list. I think it is more likely that Animal Crossing comes out next March or June, but there is a slight chance for this year I guess.

E3 will likely announce the ports they didn't want to announce yet (like Pokemon and SSB), but the rest is pretty full. That said, they'll surely announce it for 2018 soon, like they did with Fire Emblem.

I would bet August or September for Fire Emblem Warriors, but it is multiplatform with 3DS. I can't see Xenoblade II before December at the earliest.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Honestly, Capcom seems to have just been shifting back to multiplatform development like they used to do.

Umbrella Corps (PC/PS4) -> Resident Evil 7 (PC/XB1/PS4), as were all the remasters.

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC) -> Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite (PC/XB1/PS4), also true of the MvC3 remaster.

Putting a 3DS game on PS4 results in unacceptable graphics, and makes the series look like a joke to the Western console audience you're trying to reach. That's not true of a game with Switch in mind.

Monster Hunter is the special one ,Capcom would take it more seriously,profit of all 6 titles you list add up might be less than MH5

Salvadora

Don't think Pokemon is going to be a port.

Unlike the Wii U software coming to Switch, Pokemon Sun/Moon actually sold what you would expect for the brand (if not more in the west), and it's already portable.

I'd have to imagine that it's a 3rd version at the very least, if not a sequel.

cw_sasuke

No way they will have AC ready for this year as well - expect it next year with Fire Emblem.

Oregano

Switch obviously isn't part of that multiplatform strategy though.:p

On a serious note the bolded didn't stop the existence of Revelations HD(coming to PS4 and XBO this year as well) or MH3U on Wii U, or Ex Troopers.

Salvadora

They need to have a game to come with the mobile game in a similar timeframe. They did it with Pokémon GO, Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes. They'll probably try to put something similar with AC.
I'm not sure they would have room to release it even if it was ready.

If we consider the rumours, it could look like:

September: Smash Bros
October: Pokemon
November Mario

And that's not even considering if DQ comes out this year or, say, a MH title.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Putting Monster Hunter multiplatform with Vita would result bigger sales from PS4 but they didn't do it..

cw_sasuke

They need to have a game to come with the mobile game in a similar timeframe. They did it with Pokémon GO, Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes. They'll probably try to put something similar with AC.

No not really. Go, Run and Heroes release timings had nothing to do with the timing of console counterparts.

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/digimon-story-cyber-sleuth-hackers-memory-announced-ps4-ps-vita

The latest issue of V-Jump has first details on Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker’s Memory, the latest entry in the Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth series due out for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in Japan in 2017.

Hacker’s Memory is set in the same world as the original Cyber Sleuth and features a new story “on the other side of Cyber Sleuth.” The protagonist is Keisuke Amazawa (name changeable), a young man who had to jump into the hacker world after he was made the criminal in a case he knows nothing about. Character designs look to again be by Suzuhito Yasuda.

The basic systems from the original Cyber Sleuth, including the Digi-Farm, will return, with various elements powered up. Over 320 Digimon will appear.

Bandai Namco will also include the original Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker’s Memory as a pack-in title.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Digimon another nail in the coffin of the "Switch will absorb Vita's support" coffin.

It's more like a game that started its development a while ago, probably without Switch in mind. Of course Switch won't get all the games right from the get go, there will still be releases in 2017 that won't be there due to development / focus reasons. It's like this is the first time we witness a first year for a brand new console, shouting "The sky is falling!" for every game that's not announced for Switch right now is worthless. Or should I think you believe Switch will never get support from Japan, Oregano? :p

LordKano

No not really. Go, Run and Heroes release timings had nothing to do with the timing of console counterparts.

Do you really think it's a pure coincidence if Heroes released a few weeks before Echoes (both of them were even announced in the same event), if GO released a few months before Sun/Moon, if Run released the same month (maybe even the same week ? I don't remember precisely) as Mario Maker 3DS ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi expects bigger Switch shipments from Nintendo next week for Splatoon.

MHXX had a slow start comparing to MHX at gamesmaya.

Oregano

It's more like a game that started its development a while ago, probably without Switch in mind. Of course Switch won't get all the games right from the get go, there will still be releases in 2017 that won't be there due to development / focus reasons. It's like this is the first time we witness a first year for a brand new console, shouting "The sky is falling!" for every game that's not announced for Switch right now is worthless. Or should I think you believe Switch will never get support from Japan, Oregano? :p

Well right now Switch has exactly zero multiplatform games that aren't late ports and publishers are starting to announce late 2017(And even 2018) games that are skipping the platform. That's worse than Wii U, Vita or PS4 which were at least getting some multiplats/cross gen releases. It will be more notable when Switch actually gets a game.

Or the next game will be on Switch.

Nah, by that point they will have decided Switch doesn't have the right audience.

Do you really think it's a pure coincidence if Heroes released a few weeks before Echoes (both of them were even announced in the same event), if GO released a few months before Sun/Moon, if Run released the same month (maybe even the same week ? I don't remember precisely) as Mario Maker 3DS ?

Mario Maker was the week after(I think) but they launched a NSMB2 2DS the same day as Mario Run IIRC.

Well right now Switch has exactly zero multiplatform games that aren't late ports and publishers are starting to announce late 2017(And even 2018) games that are skipping the platform.

I know Sonic is basically irrelevant in Japan nowadays, but Sonic Forces is a Japanese game and it's not a late port.

Couldn't help but notice that Disgaea 5 Complete only dropped from 26 to 33 in the 2nd week. Might equate to a bit over 2100 in sales? Not good obviously, but honestly a much smaller drop for a JRPG, as that'd only be what, a 60% dip for week 2?

Any indication of its retail life in terms of price, if it's gone down or is it still at full/near full price?

Actually Dengeki will show us, is it out yet?

Edit:: Here it is:

Dengeki:

42./22. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} - 1,325 / 5,968

Much larger drop compared to MC.

Mar Nosso

Banned
It might have been said already, but there's a massive difference in the YTD numbers for PS4 between Media Create and Famitsu.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Putting Monster Hunter multiplatform with Vita would result bigger sales from PS4 but they didn't do it..

The Vita targeted Japan though.

As per their own statements following the series' growing Western success - and Capcom's success in the West more generally - they're now interested in following up on that more substantially, because it's still very heavily weighted toward Japan.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20004620.html

- Capcom predicts 100million PS4's and 40~50million Xbox One's will be sold by 2020.
- Predicts Street Fighter 5 will have long legs due to its e-sports popularity
- Capcom is a rare Japanese video game developer with a heavy focus on overseas consumers, must make games to appeal to the foreign consumers
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

---

Switch obviously isn't part of that multiplatform strategy though.:p

On a serious note the bolded didn't stop the existence of Revelations HD(coming to PS4 and XBO this year as well) or MH3U on Wii U, or Ex Troopers.
Those are games from half a decade ago, and they invested to make Resident Evil Revelations HD look better for the Western console release when it first came out.

Beyond that, obviously a digital remaster of an old game is not going to have the same expectations as a $60 retail title, and the visual gulf between a mid-gen PS4 game and a 3DS game is astronomical.

cw_sasuke

Yes - thats just how it worked out. AC Mobile was planned for the Q4 16 at some point...do you think they would have had a Switch AC ready for that date as well ?

Go, Run and Heroes were released at those dates because they were ready - the console games can benefit from successful and active playerbases on the mobile counter parts - that doesnt mean that they have to be released at the same time. FE Warriors and FE Switch in 2018 will benefit from Heroes if Nintendo/IntSys keeps the mobile audience happy for that long - the fact that it was released month or even years before these games are out wont be a factor.

Hellraider

It might have been said already, but there's a massive difference in the YTD numbers for PS4 between Media Create and Famitsu.

Only PS4? Look closely. :p

It will be like this for the whole year because they are tracking 2017 from a different starting point.

Oregano

I know Sonic is basically irrelevant in Japan nowadays, but Sonic Forces is a Japanese game and it's not a late port.

True although have they clarified whether the Switch isn't actually a separate
shit
Dimps version?

As per their own statements following the series' growing Western success - and Capcom's success in the West more generally - they're now interested in following up on that more substantially, because it's still very heavily weighted toward Japan.

---

Those are games from half a decade ago, and they invested to make Resident Evil Revelations HD look better for the Western console release when it first came out.

Beyond that, obviously a digital remaster of an old game is not going to have the same expectations as a $60 retail title, and the visual gulf between a mid-gen PS4 game and a 3DS game is astronomical.

There was nothing really stopping them sprucing up MonHun multiplats for a PS4 release though. Hell their two closest competitors(God Eater 2 and Toukiden) were PSP games and they both released on PS4.

wrowa

Well right now Switch has exactly zero multiplatform games that aren't late ports and publishers are starting to announce late 2017(And even 2018) games that are skipping the platform. That's worse than Wii U, Vita or PS4 which were at least getting some multiplats/cross gen releases. It will be more notable when Switch actually gets a game.

Yeah, things might change, but right now Switch's 3rd party support looks really dire. I don't think anyone expected western 3rd parties to be very present on the hardware, but even Japanese developers quite simply aren't there yet. What's even coming out in the next months at retail that isn't made by Nintendo?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

In that quote Capcom expects long legs for SFV.

Monster Hunter is like Dragon Quest, it belongs to a genre that Japan will determine the sales. They can try to make it appeal to west if they turn it into something else and lose Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There was nothing really stopping them sprucing up MonHun multiplats for a PS4 release though. Hell their two closest competitors(God Eater 2 and Toukiden) were PSP games and they both released on PS4.

Remind me how those two sold in the West.

In that quote Capcom expects long legs for SFV.
Sure, and they keep making content for it, because they're following through on their statements, at least as far as what they can do on their end.

Monster Hunter is like Dragon Quest, it belongs to a genre that Japan will determinr the sales. They can try to make it appeal to west if they turn it into something else and lose Japan.
I don't see how this contradicts what I said though. If it totally tanks, that's very different than it not existing in the first place.

Oregano

Yeah, things might change, but right now Switch's 3rd party support looks really dire. I don't think anyone expected western 3rd parties to be very present on the hardware, but even Japanese developers quite simply aren't there yet. What's even coming out in the next months at retail that isn't made by Nintendo?

There's really nothing.

Remind me how those two sold in the West.

Well enough that those franchises are focusing on PS4 now obviously.:p

Datschge

Yes - thats just how it worked out. AC Mobile was planned for the Q4 16 at some point...do you think they would have had a Switch AC ready for that date as well ?
The Nintendo mobile games were all delayed when Nintendo saw what effect Pokemon Go had on the Pokemon sales.

cw_sasuke

Sounds like most japanese console launches tbh - i think the Holiday lineup will be strong but there isnt much incentive for smaller devs/IPs to risk releases before some of the bigger first party titles and DQ/MH have expanded the market.

3DS didnt look too good in its first couple months - then the Fall conference happened and the games just started showing up.

Oregano

Sounds like most japanese console launches tbh - i think the Holiday lineup will be strong but there isnt much incentive for smaller devs/IPs to risk releases before some of the bigger first party titles and DQ/MH have expanded the market.

3DS didnt look too good in its first couple months - then the Fall conference happened and the games just started showing up.

The Switch wishes is could have Dead or Alive, One Piece, Resident Evil and Tales right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I'm not actually worried about Switch support yet.

I don't think it's guaranteed, but certainly this is pretty similar to the rate of meainingful support every dedicated platform since the 3DS has received.

If we're sitting here in October and things look the same, it's probably time to pull all the panic alarms.

cw_sasuke

The Nintendo mobile games were all delayed when Nintendo saw what effect Pokemon Go had on the Pokemon sales.

They were delayed because they werent ready. Are they trying to benefit from synergy effects if possible ? Sure, that doesnt mean they only will release them around a console game counterpart.

FEH took just a bit more time and they didnt wanna share the spotlight with SMR during the Holidays.

We can just agree to disagree - i dont think Nintendo will have AC Switch magically be ready for a Holiday 2017 release just because they plan to release a mobile AC title this year. Same way i didnt expect some brand new Zelda mobile title to show up because of BotW release.

Top Bottom