• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Shipment for Switch will be even lower next week but if Nintendo can maintain a steady flow of 40-50k until stock situation normalises it will be more than enough. It shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Golden Week and MK8 are the next test. Things should be normal by then.

Mr Swine

Banned
Good numbers if Switch is supply constrained, if not then it looks like it's going to sell worse than Vita?

Also I wonder if SQ will port KH collection to Switch as I thought it would do at least 150k in its release week

LordKano

You can't say something is a fact just because it supports your bias view.

The same way ethomaz can't assume that Switch doesn't have stock issues.

I can say that it is sold out for a fact since we got sell-through for the first week (95℅) and that we got multiple reports of being out of stock.

Now, if you want to play semantics and asking for an official report of Nintendo saying it's out of stock, fine, but let people discuss with what we've got and keep that bias shit for yourself.

gconsole

You can't say something is a fact just because it supports your bias view.

The same way ethomaz can't assume that Switch doesn't have stock issues.

Nobody can buy Switch in Japan ( including my friend ). How is that not a fact? You are the one who look bias dude.

ethomaz

Banned
Why? How could you tell either way?

It's been virtually impossible to find a Switch in Japan, it is absolutely stock issues.

??? Stock issues are based on sell through and availability, not absolute sales.

It's out of stock. That's a fact.

Lololol. Because yes...
Explain to me how something out of stock or with stock issues sells 61k in one week?

There was a 95% sell through last week, the chances it wasn't stock issues is extremely slim to non-existent/
It sold 330k last week... that means they shipped 350k.

It sold 62k this week... that means they shipped over 392k (peharps 400).

There are only two options:

a) The 95% sell through is wrong and they shipped 400k with ~82% sell-throught.

b) They shipped more 50k or even more.

In both case you can say it wasn't sold out these two first week or have strong stock issues... it sold 62k.

Now next week we will see if stock issues are really happening there.

Nobody can buy Switch in Japan ( including my friend ). How is that not a fact? You are the one who look bias dude.
How 62k gamers bought it last week?

Kudo

Is Zelda and Switch sold out? Quite harsh drops.
Though then again I do not know how big franchise Zelda is in Japan but I expected lot more.

Shengar

Yes it was sold out in its first week as reported by the trackers.

But the trackers have not reported a sell through percentage this week so no one can say it's a fact Switch sold through all stock.

Is it likely? Yes.

Is ethomaz likely wrong? Yes.

Is it a fact? No

It's very simple.

You are very reaching here. You're arguing semantics here, and a very unnecessary one that is.

mclem

61k for Swtich doesn't look like stock issues... let't see if next week it drops a lot.

What it looks like is Nintendo managing to produce significantly more units than were expected.

And still - it appears - not meeting demand.

The key question is what things look like when they meet the initial wave of demand, and we're certainly not there yet.

Zedark

Shipment for Switch will be even lower next week but if Nintendo can maintain a steady flow of 40-50k until stock situation normalises it will be more than enough. It shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Golden Week and MK8 are the next test. Things should be normal by then.
But if we assume they sold out completely this week, it seems they shipped 30K new units the past week. If next week's shipment will be even smaller, then we should be looking at sub 30K sales right? On the other hand, if the stock isn't exhausted yet, then odds are the system is tanking in Japan and it won't maintain that baseline either, right?

You are very reaching here.If the first sell through is about 95%, and the following week the number dropped to the proximate number of the unsold units, how is it not a fact that it have been sold out? You're arguing semantics here, and a very unnecessary one that is.

Indeed. I am arguing semantics because the poster used the word "fact". If he had used a different word I wouldn't bother posting.

End of the day the Switch's second week is as expected. Based on trends it's likely that Switch will sell everything Nintendo ships this month and with Mario Kart 8 around the corner I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good boost at the end of April.

Explain to me how something out of stock or with stock issues sells 61k in one week?

b) They shipped more 50k.

In both case you can say it wasn't sold out these two first week or have strong stock issues... it sold 62k.

Now next week we will see if stock issues are really happening.

None of your logic makes any sense. It sold out what was shipped last week so it is still having stock issues. It sold through the remaining stock left from its first week of sales and then it sold through the vast majority of its second shipment as far as we can tell because reports are that it is still sold out in the country.

Shengar

The previous week numbers of Switch wasn't for the whole week, but rather 3 days. There's a whole 9 days of sales from the last report to this one rather than 7. It's quite possible there's sizeable chunk of leftover being sold in the following 4th day when it was not tracked in the previous week number.

Zedark

It can sell 62k and still have stock issues if there were more than 62k people looking to buy it. In that case it is supply-constrained.

ethomaz

Banned
None of your logic makes any sense. It sold out what was shipped last week so it is still having stock issues. It sold through the remaining stock left from its first week of sales and then it sold through the vast majority of its second shipment as far as we can tell because reports are that it is still sold out in the country.
Let's if that is true next week... for now there is no way to say it is a fact.

The previous week numbers of Switch wasn't for the whole week, but rather 3 days. There's a whole 9 days of sales from the last report to this one rather than 7. It's quite possible there's sizeable chunk of leftover being sold in the following 4th day when it was not tracked in the previous week number.
That makes no sense.

The 95% is for the 3 first days report... everything sold in 4th day and going is this week report and it didn't count in the 95% report... like I said there are two options here:

a) They shipped more than 350k (95% is wrong).
b) They shipped additional this week (> 50k).

In any case lets see how it shows next week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pretty much as expected for Switch, being sold out. Maybe even a bit more, the re-stock being a bit bigger than some expected.

gconsole

That looks like a big drop for Switch.

Look at second week sale chart in reply above. Taking ur comment then every machine has a big drop on second week except WiiU lol.

Seriously do u even know how hardware sale look like? Even without stock issue u still cant expect the machine to keep that 300k momentum. No machine has ever done that.

I have data. Degenki report about the sell-through for FW or the multiple reports from stores. Just stop now.

But you don't have actual data for the second week. Neither you or ethomaz can make the definitive Statements you've made.

But anyway. This is off topic. I will stop now.

Yes there is. I will wait eagerly for sell through numbers later this week to prove you oh so wrong.

This guy gets it. If you want to make the statements you have then you need to wait for the right data to support those statements

hiska-kun

PS3 VS PS4
ps4_zpstdlrrcjh.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 158|   38.498|3.825.217|   43.489|4.444.931|       619.714|
| 159|   34.752|3.859.969|   37.807|4.482.738|       622.769|
| 160|   46.558|3.906.527|   35.300|4.518.038|       611.511| 
| 161|   57.782|3.964.309|         |         |              | 
| 162|   75.086|4.039.395|         |         |              |  
| 163|  237.086|4.276.481|         |         |              |  
| 164|  110.519|4.387.000|         |         |              |  
| 165|  114.367|4.501.367|         |         |              |  
| 166|   61.591|4.562.958|         |         |              | 
| 167|   35.156|4.598.114|         |         |              | 
| 168|   26.966|4.625.080|         |         |              | 
| 169|   34.431|4.659.511|         |         |              | 

Dr.Tentacle

Is Zelda and Switch sold out? Quite harsh drops.
Though then again I do not know how big franchise Zelda is in Japan but I expected lot more.

I think the Zelda drops a lot because of the switch shortage since you can still get the game at major store & amazon.

Of course there's a shortage, no doubt.

It's Nintendo after all – they still don't understand how logistics works, in XXI century.
Its called realistic expectations... They shipped a considerable amount of Switches and looks like the product beat that expectation, and that's really good.

Vinnk

Let's if that is true next week... for now there is no way to say it is a fact.

That makes no sense.

The 95% is for the 3 first days report... everything sold in 4th day and going is this week report and it didn't count in the 95% report... like I said there are two options here:

a) They shipped more than 350k (95% is wrong).
b) They shipped additional this week (> 50k).

In any case lets see how it shows next week.

B. The answer is B.

And it's sold out. I mean there are likely a few units lingering around in department stores somewhere. And I am sure you could get lucky and catch a new shipment arriving at a store, so it would be in stock for a few hours or so.. I guess.

But right now demand is higher than stock. I have friends who are trying to get units right now. But they can't. Because there are not enough to go around.

"Fact" is indeed a hard word to use as there might be some units somewhere.

But I can say as the truth that the Switch is supply constrained in Japan. Unless one is willing to argue against the basic laws of economics.

Retailers are not going to be charging a premium price for a good that is readily available.

And anecdotally, I have never seen a single Switch unit on store shelves in my town. Only the signs saying they are out of stock.

dracula_x

Its called realistic expectations... They shipped a considerable amount of Switches and looks like the product beat that expectation, and that's really good.

No, it's called incompetence.

“Pre-order sales have also begun across the globe. We have heard that many retailers have already closed pre-orders and have allocated remaining inventory for sale on launch day. This pre-order momentum is reassuring proof that the core gamer demographic understands the uniqueness of the Nintendo Switch and continues to support us.”

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/31/nintendo-still-aims-to-ship-2-million-switch-consoles-by-march/

^ that was in January, one month before launch

BriBri

Is this some kind of joke?! Were you taught some alternate form of logic?!

Principate

Saint Titanfall

What on earth are you on about? 95% sell through is sold out. We know they did an limited extra shipping, this was reported. That's why some stores literally gave out switches by raffle.

The fact that 95% doesn't mean sold out to you is absurd. I mean this is you of all people that as referred constantly (I mean literally almost every thread it comes up). That 90% sell through for the PS4 launch is supply constrained. Your argument is very lacking in consistency.

Fularu

Banned
No, it's called incompetence.

^ that was in January, one month before launch
Wait do you believe that launch month units can be magically increased a mere 6 weeks before release just "based on preorders"?

And you're talking about incompetence?

Top Bottom