• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

Vinnk

From the last thread.

Whats more annoying than people who have no clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales is people spending half of the week complaining about imaginery people who might not have a clue about the context of the sales laughing at the sales.

Nope. Pretty sure the clueless people are more annoying.

Indeed. I am arguing semantics because the poster used the word "fact". If he had used a different word I wouldn't bother posting.

End of the day the Switch's second week is as expected. Based on trends it's likely that Switch will sell everything Nintendo ships this month and with Mario Kart 8 around the corner I wouldn't be surprised if there is a good boost at the end of April.

Then nothing is completely out of stock.

Plenty of Switch on eBay dude.

Good numbers if Switch is supply constrained, if not then it looks like it's going to sell worse than Vita?

Also I wonder if SQ will port KH collection to Switch as I thought it would do at least 150k in its release week
You, ethomaz, and KawabataSan fighting the good fight, lol

Anyways, nice holds for Zelda and Horizon.

Its called realistic expectations... They shipped a considerable amount of Switches and looks like the product beat that expectation, and that's really good.

With around 400k shipped for first two weeks in japan it was always going to sell out. That is really not that extraordinary amount for launch in their strongest territory.

Good numbers if Switch is supply constrained, if not then it looks like it's going to sell worse than Vita?

Also I wonder if SQ will port KH collection to Switch as I thought it would do at least 150k in its release week

Vita had a shipment of 500,000 units in its first week but couldn't even sell that after 3 weeks+

Meanwhile Switch sold through 95% of its launch shipment in its first week.

The two situations are not comparable in the slightest and it's clear that Switch has had a much more successful start.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
But if we assume they sold out completely this week, it seems they shipped 30K new units the past week. If next week's shipment will be even smaller, then we should be looking at sub 30K sales right? On the other hand, if the stock isn't exhausted yet, then odds are the system is tanking in Japan and it won't maintain that baseline either, right?

Shipment for last week could be closer to 50-60k. The unsold 20k from first week could be from everywhere across Japan, small or big retailers or cities, and doesn't mean they were all sold at second.

Interfectum

No, I'm not. Again, we live in XXI century, and 2 million units for launch month is not that big number.

Century has nothing to do with this and neither does "2017" before you decide to remind us all what year it is.

2 million units for launch is a really big number.

casiopao

Yes it was sold out in its first week as reported by the trackers.

But the trackers have not reported a sell through percentage this week so no one can say it's a fact Switch sold through all stock.

Is it likely? Yes.

Is ethomaz likely wrong? Yes.

Is it a fact? No

It's very simple.

95% sell through though.O_O

gconsole

Did someone seriously thinking that Nintendo can ship the same 350k stock in the second week so 61k doesn't seems like out of stock problem? Do they know how manufacturing work at all? It will be sometime before they can ship a huge second batch of the machine, until then what they are shipping now is whatever they have left in the warehouse. So yes, the out of stock situation can still happen again if there are more demand than the supply. And this is proved by the report from many places.

Like here in London, you literally could not find the machine anywhere in store. At least in London, even online store ( Argos, Amazon, Game ) completely sold out and you couldn't get it until at least 1st April. This is not opinion, this is what happening. Usually online store won't have as much problem getting stock as the brick store , but you can just go to website now and see how severe this problem is.

Not Nintendo fan or anything. But some people logic and denial is baffling..

ethomaz

Banned
No, I'm not. Again, we live in XXI century, and 2 million units for launch month is not that big number.
2 million for a WW launch is indeed pretty low... I said that in others threads.

3-4 million is ideal for first month WW.

Japan alone could have near 1 million shipped first month to meet demand.

Fularu

Banned
Did someone seriously thinking that Nintendo can ship the same 350k stock in the second week so 61k doesn't seems like out of stock problem? Do they know how manufacturing work at all? It will be sometime before they can ship a huge second batch of the machine, until then what they are shipping now is whatever they have left in the warehouse. So yes, the out of stock situation can still happen again if there are more demand than the supply. And this is proved by the report from many places.

Like here in London, you literally could not find the machine anywhere in store. At least in London, even online store ( Argos, Amazon, Game ) completely sold out and you couldn't get it until at least 1st April. This is not opinion, this is what happening. Usually online store won't have as much problem getting stock as the brick store , but you can just go to website now and see how severe this problem is.

Not Nintendo fan or anything. But some people logic and denial is baffling..
Nah man, Nintendo is just incompetent (and doomed, oh and sucks too because why the hell not?)

Blunoise

Ethomaz says whatever he wants as long as it makes PlayStation look better than Nintendo.

There is no logic to his post.

lol I was going to say this too, in almost every Nintendo thread I have seen him in there trying to say something negativeall the time. I just don't get fanboys at all especially when it comes Sony and Microsoft fanboys. It's like it's there mission to down any success Nintendo can have as if it will take success from their companies. Why is it so bad that Nintendo can be successful.

2 million for a WW launch is indeed pretty low... I said that in others threads.

Ugh. Reading your posts feels like watching a TV show with numerous continuity errors. You were saying earlier how 62k proved there weren't shipment problems and now you think it could have sold through a million this month in Japan alone?

ethomaz

Banned
Chû Totoro;232104339 said:
Then nothing is completely out of stock.

Plenty of Switch on eBay dude.
I can be wrong but eBay units are counted by MC because they were bought from retail already.

E.g. I go on store and buy 10 Switch to sell overpriced at eBay... it is already counted as sold.

Fularu

Banned
Ugh. Reading your posts feels like watching a TV show with numerous continuity errors. You were saying earlier how 62k proved there weren't shipment problems and now you think it could have sold through a million this month in japan alone?
You're looking for logic and consistency? :p

Vinnk

I agree.

And by the same logic the most incompetent company in gaming right now is Sony. The Playstation VR has been sold out for freaking months. A used unit is selling for nearly $200 over the retail cost of a new unit.

http://www.suruga-ya.jp/search?category=&search_word=playstation+VR

5 months and they still can make enough. They knew the pre-orders were all sold out. We live in XXI century, and 1 million units for the launch half a year is not that big number.

Datschge

I don't think you know either. Or Nintendo, especially after Wii U fiasco or NES Mini.
The Wii U fiasco was overshipment that barely sold. Right now you are essentially arguing Nintendo should have repeated that instead being conservative as they are again this time.

If you overship you get WiiU problems if your product flops. That makes it much more difficult to move stock and utilize manufacturimg efficiency gains. It's a balancing act. And since Nintendo has been atrocious with their last 2 launches I assume they are being conservative.

March launch is pretty difficult to compare to vs Nov/Dec. Imo the bigger surprise is that the system is tracking better in Europe since many of the markets there are weaker for Nintendo.

I don't think you know either. Or Nintendo, especially after Wii U fiasco or NES Mini.

No, nintendo is not ordering, manufacturing, shipping and distributing large numbers of extra unplanned consoles in the space of six weeks.

I'm sure they've asked to use some spare capacity from their manufacturer (assuming it exists) to bump up the number of switched manufactured per month., but that'll take time to show through.

And even then they'll probably be somewhat conservative as they by no means want another nightmare scenario like when they flooded the channel with wiiu's and it bombed.

L~A

anyone have a link to the MC of week 1 wii u and week 2?

The OP has a link to all previous MC threads. Wii U was launched on December 8th 2012, so look for that.

Super Bomberman R is at 45 173 units... guess it could reach 100k? Depends on legs, I guess. Being a launch title should help.

casiopao

I agree.

And by the same logic the most incompetent company in gaming right now is Sony. The Playstation VR has been sold out for freaking months. A used unit is selling for nearly $200 over the retail cost of a new unit.

5 months and they still can make enough. They knew the pre-orders were all sold out. We live in XXI century, and 1 million units for the launch half a year is not that big number.

He won't reply to that point lol As it hit his beloved Sony there.^^

ethomaz

Banned
If you overship you get WiiU problems if your product flops. That makes it much more difficult to move stock and utilize manufacturimg efficiency gains. It's a balancing act. And since Nintendo has been atrocious with their last 2 launches I assume they are being conservative.

March launch is pretty difficult to compare to vs Nov/Dec. Imo the bigger surprise is that the system is tracking better in Europe since many of the markets there are weaker for Nintendo.
That is true too.

But I don't think period/date affect launch... launch sales are not affected by holidays in my view... that is why I don't consider the launch as first holiday for consoles released in November.

dracula_x

I agree.

They can. But the truth is – there's no huge demand for PSVR. And it's cheaper to produce 200k units at once in every 2 months (it's example, because I don't know exact number) than 25k units per week. That's why it's "sold-out"

I too am genuinely surprised there are 61k new Switches in Japan this week after all the reports I read. A lot more than I expected really.

Minecraft Vita hasn't returned, oh no. Wonder if it'll ever be back. Hopefully in the summer months.

We're definitely in the twilight of the console though, this is the kinda sales PSP was hitting then it had one final year where it was selling like ~ 1k a week then it went. A shame.

Also, SRWVPS4 seems to be legging better than the Vita version too, which is the final nail in the coffin as the handheld versions tended to sell better over longer periods (although it's still pulled in a very nice proportion of overall sales, so there's a bit of life left yet).

Listen: there is limited stock on an irregular basis, but it is immediately sold out because there are people without day jobs who can go to the electronics stores at 10 am on a weekday. Any stock that comes in immediately sells out within minutes. That's a fact. I know that because I am constantly checking a Japanese website that lists around 10 major retailers (brick/mortar and online) and their current stock status (I am trying to get one myself). Why do you want to argue semantics so much?

hiska-kun

I too am genuinely surprised there are 61k new Switches in Japan this week after all the reports I read. A lot more than I expected really.

Minecraft Vita hasn't returned, oh no. Wonder if it'll ever be back. Hopefully in the summer months.

We're definitely in the twilight of the console though, this is the kinda sales PSP was hitting then it had one final year where it was selling like ~ 1k a week then it went. A shame.

Also, SRWVPS4 seems to be legging better than the Vita version too, which is the final nail in the coffin as the handheld versions tended to sell better over longer periods (although it's still pulled in a very nice proportion of overall sales, so there's a bit of life left yet).

Probably in week 12, Spring Holidays for students, and a National Holiday for everyone (March 20th).
There aren't releases that week, so leggy games can make a comeback.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Listen: there is limited stock on an irregular basis, but it is immediately sold out because there are people without day jobs who can go to the electronics stores at 10 am on a weekday. Any stock that comes in immediately sells out within minutes. That's a fact. I know that because I am constantly checking a Japanese website that lists around 10 major retailers (brick/mortar and online) and their current stock status (I am trying to get one myself). Why do you want to argue semantics so much?

Would you like to post a link to this website? It's possible it could be a useful tool in the next few weeks.

Probably in week 12, Spring Holidays for students, and a National Holiday for everyone (March 20th).
There aren't releases that week, so leggy games can make a comeback.

Cheers. I suspect it will return, I just wanna see if it beats the Pokemon Red/Green charting record.

L~A

I don't know if ethomaz has everyone on edge or people are ignoring the obviousness of my post.

I guess not everyone is as calm of mind as you and....... yeah, not gonna say "sorry" here ;)

hiska-kun, could you please share your usual graphs for Pokémon? Want to see how it's holding right now, since it's kind of a quiet period without public holidays. Seems to be holding well, but I'd like something more concrete and reliable than my impressions.

Top Bottom