• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11 {2012.03.12 - 2012.03.18}

test_account

XP-39C²
Survival horrors don't have any history on handheld, sales-wise. People must get used to the idea of playing such games on smaller screen. Capcom should stress on this direction because Revelations was very well received by critics and video gamers; it needs to create an environment, step by step. It's not like the first serious effort in the RE brand on a handheld becomes RE5.
That is true. The experience/content of the games are the same, the only difference is the smaller screen (and to some extend the controllers, but RE:R does support that CPP addon). Depends if people like that or not. Personally i dont mind it, especially if we can have both console and handheld games within the same serie =)

Hardly.

We're seeing what we've always seen: slow-burning hadheld titles.

~400k WW in one month in console land would be considered a bomb. That same amount in one month on a handheld, made with a fraction of the budget of a console release, isn't that bad.

Hell, Capcom disagrees with you when they say it's meeting expectations. Couple this with an intensified marketing campaign from Nintendo and it could eclipse ~600k WW next month.
How much was the budget for RE:R?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I don't remember the blog. I think it was azalyn.

umm - okay - i don't think that's particularly a solid analysis either way. Especially seeing as due to the public holidays most places got their stocks on Monday from wholesale. As witnessed by everyone and their dog getting flying gets -insanely- early. Not that i'm jealous...
FURIOUS!!! too busy with work to go and get it

Dalthien

How much was the budget for RE:R?

I don't believe anyone from Capcom has ever said much about the budget of the game. But just about every significant release from Capcom gets listed in their quarterly reports with an expected sales target. (Many of these then get reduced down as the release date gets closer and Capcom realizes how far off they were with their initial expectations, but hey - that's Capcom!)

But RE:R never appeared in any of their published projections, which strongly suggests that the game was never considered (internally) to be one of their more significant releases. So I suspect that the budget for the game was a lot smaller than many people seem to believe. The fairly minimal advertising budget accompanying the game further supports that supposition.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't believe anyone from Capcom has ever said much about the budget of the game. But just about every significant release from Capcom gets listed in their quarterly reports with an expected sales target. (Many of these then get reduced down as the release date gets closer and Capcom realizes how far off they were with their initial expectations, but hey - that's Capcom!)

But RE:R never appeared in any of their published projections, which strongly suggests that the game was never considered (internally) to be one of their more significant releases. So I suspect that the budget for the game was a lot smaller than many people seem to believe. The fairly minimal advertising budget accompanying the game further supports that supposition.
I see. I think that the game has been in developement for over 2 years at least, and if there is a decent sized team behind it, that could add up to some money. Most likely not as much as RE5, but i think that it is more than a fraction at least. But who knows.

As for advertising, havnt the game got some decent exposure? I havnt seen it myself on TV, but i've heard several saying that they have seen it.

EDIT: I see on the latest Capcom report that they list Dead Rising 2: Off The Record at 500k worldwide sold as a major title. I think that RE:R will be listed in their next report as a major title as well.

Dalthien

EDIT: I see on the latest Capcom report that they list Dead Rising 2: Off The Record at 500k worldwide sold as a major title. I think that RE:R will be listed in their next report as a major title as well.
DR2:OTR was originally expected to sell 800k (just another of those many cases of Capcom later reducing or missing their targets that I mentioned) in an earlier quarterly report. I doubt they would have bothered including it in their sales projections if they expected it to only sell 500k all along, but since it was already listed in their sales targets from before, they kept the reduced figure in their more recent report. But yeah, we may very well get a shipment number for RE:R in their fiscal year-end summary. But it's not guaranteed.

LOCK

RE:R will do great. Especially over its lifetime, as handheld games (especially in America) have amazing legs, and opening multipliers. The software will sell with hardware sales.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It is the same with RE:R. Maybe ot 60 seconds, but i've been told that RE:R was structured for more short burst plays. And then there is always sleep mode on the system :)

Not the same at all, in 3D Land or Mario Kart 7 you can play a level in less than 4 minutes.
Yesterday night I had to wait more than 20 minutes to get to a saving point in RE:R in Episode 3 (there's only autosave, and that sucks honestly). It's really not meant to be played in short burst, and especially in your first playthrough eache episode can be quite lenghty, i'm at the middle (?) of the 4th episode in 5h:45'. Sleep mode doesn't make sense with this game really, it's not a pick up and play title at all, just more portable than a main entry title, but not that much.
Also, I'd be shocked to find out the game's development costs were much higher than 1/10 of that of RE5, but that doesn't necessarily speak for the quality of the game itself (I despised what I played of RE5, I quite like RE:R).

RE:R will do great. Especially over its lifetime, as handheld games (especially in America) have amazing legs, and opening multipliers. The software will sell with hardware sales.

The only reason handheld software has had amazing legs in the past in the US is because of the huge amount of hardware that was sold. Actual attach rates weren't all that great, so unless hardware sales pick up considerably, software isn't going to have a large amount of continuing sales.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
tumblr_l7lehlPOyW1qzuqgfo1_500.jpg

No they don't. They can choose to ignore it and go back to playing those games in a home setting. People can try and rationalize it all they want, but it looks like the market has spoken, and it doesn't want Resident Evil on a handheld.

Sorry, I try to explain my words better.
It's not that people must be forced to play some genre on handheld; but such consoles are now powerful enough to sustain some type of games that on previous hardware were almost impossible to replicate. I think it's reasonable some software houses want to push in this direction, by trying to develop survival horrors or FPS on handheld in a serious way, and not with bad spin-offs.

Imo, Revelations costed a fraction of a mainline title. They need lower sales to become profitable. And they need to build the idea that such games can exist on handheld. It's not that people don't want RE on handheld; and it's not that Revelations stopped the development of a mainline title.

No they don't. They can choose to ignore it and go back to playing those games in a home setting. People can try and rationalize it all they want, but it looks like the market has spoken, and it doesn't want Resident Evil on a handheld.
300k~ for the first proper Resident Evil on a handheld is a fine result. Capcom is not going to just ditch it just because some people like you aren't interest. Its a perfectly viable en devour which already has a decent fanbase for Capcom to continue. With this logic Konami should've stopped MGS series on the PSP after Portable OPS.

300k~ for the first proper Resident Evil on a handheld is a fine result. Capcom is not going to just ditch it just because some people like you aren't interest. Its a perfectly viable en devour which already has a decent fanbase for Capcom to continue. With this logic Konami should've stopped MGS series on the PSP after Portable OPS.

Totally agree. They could release a Revelations 2, or something between 5 and 6 with the fanbase created by Revelations, less skepticism by video gamers and gaming press, and a more mature userbase. And clearly lower sales than a mainline title will be fine.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Or maybe seeing how much it did compared to other mainline titles in Japan, Capcom could decide to release something even more appealing for Japanese audience. And that would be RE2 Rebirth, since RE2 has been by far the best selling Resident Evil game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Or maybe seeing how much it did compared to other mainline titles in Japan, Capcom could decide to release something even more appealing for Japanese audience. And that would be RE2 Rebirth, since RE2 has been by far the best selling Resident Evil game.

I think they should and will try first port over REmake/RE4 and RE5 on handhelds. RE2 should get a full blown console remake.

Kenka

I am ashamed that after having spent decades using Japanese goods, I am still totally unable to red even the easiest of the lines in their language.

Damn me.

Cipherr

Yes I think a home console remake/port of a RE game will be next for the 3DS, its a pretty good gamble, and they can always fall back to Revelations 2 if things don't pan out.

Oh and someone translate this already:

http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/

■ New Kid Icarus

New this week: Start Dash "3DS New Kid Icarus".

I met and the highest score evaluation that magazine cover fire,
The reservation had jumped just before the release,
Seems to be quite the movement of free minutes.

To exceed 100,000 in capital is not the first day of squid,
What I'm not a record of 6 to 80,000.

Google translate never gets old. Makes nooooooooo sense. OTOH it looks like it passed my prediction in day one, so Im pretty fucked for the rankings already.

Were people really expecting that much less than 100K for the first week?
The game has been getting a huge push from Nintendo for months now.

frostbyte

Yes I think a home console remake/port of a RE game will be next for the 3DS, its a pretty good gamble, and they can always fall back to Revelations 2 if things don't pan out.

Oh and someone translate this already:

http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/

Excuse this rough translation, I'm still learning Japanese. I might have gotten something mistranslated so take with a grain of salt.

Kid Icarus
This week's new product [3DS Kid Icarus: The Mirror of Palutena] is going to "Start Dash". (I'm guessing this is an euphemism for debut?)
Reservations for the product rose right before the release.
フリー分(I have no idea wtf this is, Free minutes?) is also doing quite well.
It won't cross 100k sales for the first day but it couldn't be 60-80k right?

Black Panther 2
There was good competition with KI: The Mirror of Palutena but the rate at which the copies of BP2 disappeared wasn't great.

200k+ was shipped. 30% of these sales could be attributed to the day after the debut as there was a considerable drop in price.

The previous entry was planned at 300k. The BEST version sold reasonably well despite the second hand sales. I'm not sure why the situation is like this...

Devil May Cry HD Collection
On the bottom here, we have Devil May Cry HD for PS3 which is selling reasonably well.
There's also a 360 version but recently the 360 itself isn't doing very well...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm a bit confused about KI first day impressions.
I mean: Start dash and 200k first shipment (Sinobi) that could be sold out, are positive.
Not able to cross 100K (first day I think) is not so good.
Mixed reports, we'll see how it will perform at the end.

Bruno MB

I have always had a gut feeling that Kid Icarus: Uprising would perform in its first week very similar to The Last Story.

Edit:

I agree Aostia, we shouldn't look too much into these confusing rumors (first day sales are a thing of the past since are no longer reliable), and just wait how it will perform.

frostbyte

I mean: Start dash and 200k first shipment (Sinobi) that could be sold out, are positive.

I thought I was translating it wrong too but I think that's what it's trying to say.

(初日)で(10万本)(超え)とまでは(いかないです)が

(First day) (100k sales) (exceed)(not pass/below)

So yeah. I hope I'm translating it wrong though, I'm guessing 110k+ debut myself.

edit: Just realised I forgot to add 100k is for the first day.

Not crossing 100k day 1 isnt bad, nintendo games usually do well at the weekend so tend to have a much better first week to first day ratio than most so a 60-80k first day could easily work out to a first week over 150k possibly more

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They're both pick up and play titles where a race can be finished in a few minutes and levels can be finished in as little as 60 seconds. Different beast and tailored to a hand held device.

There's no denying that 3DS is LOADED with console games, and it's performing very well. In fact the 3DS's best games are console games.

Naus, calm down ;)
First, 200k estimate for the shipment are not a sure number. They might also be for the whole weekend, and Nintendo shipped "only" 100k for the first day. Don't mix up different sources and uncertain translations.

jonno394

There's no denying that 3DS is LOADED with console games, and it's performing very well. In fact the 3DS's best games are console games.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion expanded. I agree that RE:R and MGS 3D are two of the best titles on the 3DS and they are very much console like experiences, but they have hardly set any charts on fire around the world.

Ratrat

Excuse this rough translation, I'm still learning Japanese. I might have gotten something mistranslated so take with a grain of salt.

Kid Icarus
This week's new product [3DS Kid Icarus: The Mirror of Palutena] is going to "Start Dash". (I'm guessing this is an euphemism for debut?)
Reservations for the product rose right before the release.
フリー分(I have no idea wtf this is, Free minutes?) is also doing quite well.
It won't cross 100k sales for the first day but it couldn't be 60-80k right?

You translated this part wrong. He's saying thats probably what it sold, maybe.

frostbyte

You translated this part wrong. He's saying thats probably what it sold, maybe.

Really?

6~8万本を記録しているのではないでしょうか

It seems like he isn't certain it would record 60-80k either.

I'm probably wrong though. Sorry. Just wanted to help out since people wanted a translation of sorts.

Ratrat

Really?

6~8万本を記録しているのではないでしょうか

It seems like he isn't certain it would record 60-80k either.

I'm probably wrong though. Sorry. Just wanted to help out since people wanted a translation of sorts.
nah, I sounded harsher than I meant to. And he's just making educated guesses isn't he?

And since you seem to know it better than me, did I get all the other things right?
I think so, but we better wait for a real expert. :D

frostbyte

nah, I sounded harsher than I meant to. And he's just making educated guesses isn't he?

Yeah, he's basically voicing thoughts from what he knows. I'm guessing he's usually pretty on spot since people asked for this to be translated.

No worries, not offended or anything. I'm still learning Japanese and that was a good exercise. And since you seem to know it better than me, did I get all the other things right?

I think so, but we better wait for a real expert. :D

KuGsj.gif
Thanks anyway.

Bruno MB

I really appreciate all the efforts you make to bring more information to sales age threads. But I honestly think that most of the time I find that that information is or it can be very misleading (unreliable sources, not so good translations) and in general doesn't do any good to the discussion.

I hope to not sound somewhat unpleasant, that would be the opposite of my intentions since I enjoy a lot having the luxury to be with all of you on these sales age threads.

Road

Dengeki Sales, Mar 12 - 18, 2012 (Week 11)

01. (__) [NDS] Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition (Pokemon Co.) - 175,667 / 175,667 [ST: ~60% => 293,000]
02. (__) [PSP] Shining Blade (SEGA) - 118,889 / 118,889 [ST: ~80% => 149,000]
03. (__) [PSP] Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable (Bandai Namco) - 67,453 / 67,453
04. (02) [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors (Bandai Namco) - 34,085 / 793,735 (-63%)
05. (__) [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side Premium 3rd Story (Konami) - 22,964 / 22,964
06. (09) [3DS] Monster Hunter Tri G (Capcom) - 20,261 / 1,320,052 (+22%)
07. (01) [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (SEGA) - 17,745 / 112,442 (-81%)
08. (06) [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 17,722 / 89,908 (-34%)
09. (07) [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) - 17,139 / 1,581,384 (-6%)
10. (__) [PSP] Amnesia Later (Idea Factory) - 16,457 / 16,457
11. (08) [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) - 16,061 / 1,424,126 (-5%)
12. (__) [3DS] Onna no Ko to Misshitsu ni Itara XXX Shichau Kamoshirenai (D3 Publisher) - 15,650 / 15,650
13. (10) [3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin (Marvelous AQL) - 12,978 / 139,757 (-21%)
14. (__) [PS3] Meikyuu Touro Legasista (Nippon Ichi) - 10,647 / 10,647
15. (03) [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (Bandai Namco) - 10,583 / 62,264 (-80%)
16. (05) [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami) - 10,522 / 45,685 (-70%)
17. (04) [PS3] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom) - 10,421 / 60,652 (-79%)
18. (__) [PS3] Winning Post 7 2012 (Koei Tecmo) - 9,822 / 9,822
19. (11) [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 8,856 / 128,910 (-38%)
20. (__) [PSP] Winning Post 7 2012 (Koei Tecmo) - 7,963 / 7,963

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):

2009-12-17 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII [all prices] (Square Enix) - 1,456,000 / 1,909,000
2010-12-16 [PSP] Shining Hearts [all prices] (SEGA) - 109,000 / 174,000

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/471/471022/
http://megalodon.jp/2012-0323-2149-28/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html

Week 10: 03-05~03-11

Previous Dengeki Posts (Thanks Cap. Smoker!)
2010 | 2011

beril

I'd be interested to hear your opinion expanded. I agree that RE:R and MGS 3D are two of the best titles on the 3DS and they are very much console like experiences, but they have hardly set any charts on fire around the world.

Ocarina of Time 3D is still one of the highest selling games on platform; Mario Kart, while perfectly suited for handheld gaming, is not very different from the console games where the series started; Monster Hunter is an expansion of a console game that just happened to be much more popular on portables; 3DLand does a few things to lend itself better to portable gaming but it's not fundamentally different from Mario Galaxy or NSMBW, and I can only hope that the next console Mario game is as good.

Street Fighter IV & Tales of the Abyss & One Piece: Unlimited Cruise all did quite well are direct ports of console games

Erethian

I really appreciate all the efforts you make to bring more information to sales age threads. But I honestly think that most of the time I find that that information is or it can be very misleading (unreliable sources, not so good translations) and in general doesn't do any good to the discussion.

I hope to not sound somewhat unpleasant, that would be the opposite of my intentions since I enjoy a lot having the luxury to be with all of you on these sales age threads.

Have to agree, honestly.

Chris does a fine job posting translated information from any relevant retailer reports. It's not like these are leaked first-day sales reports, like Sinobi used to provide in the "Good Old Days", in which case I could understand a bit more the rush to throw up google translations.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01./00. [NDS] Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition <SLG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.03.17} (¥5.800) - 172.027 / NEW <58,43%>
02./00. [PSP] Shining Blade <RPG> (Sega) {2012.03.15} (¥6.279) - 122.257 / NEW <81,88%>
___

21./11. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090)
22./00. [PS3] SSX <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2012.03.15} (¥7.665)
23./00. [360] Mass Effect 3 <RPG> (Electronic Arts) {2012.03.15} (¥7.665)
24./00. [PSV] FIFA Football <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2012.03.15} (¥5.980)
25./16. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles <ETC> (FuRyu) {2012.03.01} (¥5.229)
26./19. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990)
27./20. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
28./13. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Generation <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥7.330)
29./18. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800)
30./23. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
31./24. [WII] Wii Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} (¥4.800)
32./12. [3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life <SLG> (Level 5) {2012.03.08} (¥4.980)
33./25. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800)
34./27. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800)
35./21. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990)
36./33. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800)
37./15. [PSV] Unit 13 <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.03.08} (¥4.980)
38./26. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥4.980)
39./28. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2011.10.06} (¥7.980)
40./34. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 <SPT> (Konami) {2011.11.03} (¥4.980)
41./46. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (PlayStation 3 the Best) # <ADV> (Capcom) {2010.11.11} (¥2.990)
42./37. [WII] Go Vacation <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.10.20} (¥5.800)
43./31. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980)
44./40. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800)
45./30. [PSP] Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090)
46./00. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.12.03} (¥5.800)
47./48. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2011.12.08} (¥5.800)
48./17. [PSP] Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.23} (¥6.280)
49./47. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980)
50./49. [WII] Family Fishing # <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.08.04} (¥5.040)

Top 50

3DS - 14
PS3 - 13
PSP - 9
WII - 9
NDS - 2
PSV - 2
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    991.000 |    851.000 |    600.000 | 10.572.000 | 11.113.000 |

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Well, when I'm talking best games, I'm not thinking about sales performance. So in that case DOA Dimensions, SSF4, Ridge Racer, Zelda OoT, Starfox, Mariokart, RE Revelations, MGS, Shinobi, Sonic, Pilotwings, etc..
All console style games.

matmanx1

Talk about legs, Monster Hunter Freedom 3 appears every week on the extended list, usually in the top 20 but this week at 26. And there's alot of action happening every week outside the top 20 with some other long legged titles like Just Dance Wii, Gran Turismo PS3, and Nintendogs 3DS.

jonno394

Well, when I'm talking best games, I'm not thinking about sales performance. So in that case DOA Dimensions, SSF4, Ridge Racer, Zelda OoT, Starfox, Mariokart, RE Revelations, MGS, Shinobi, Sonic, Pilotwings, etc..
All console style games.

Exactly, I wasn't doubting the quality of the games, my point was that maybe hand held gamers didn't want those type of games (ie an explanation for why RE:R failed to sell to the large proportion of the 5million 3DS owners in Japan)

Top Bottom