• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Truth to be told the japanese games , at least big enough to matter something, that are scheduled for PS3 aren't that many.

Japan has been fairly quiet lately.

I'd like to note that with the exception of Deep Down, Capcom has no retail console games announced past June.

Japan has been fairly quiet lately.

I'd like to note that with the exception of Deep Down, Capcom has no retail console games announced past June.

How deep is the well at Capcom? They seem to have lost a lot of talent this generation. Hence they are increasingly outsourcing their games.

Perhaps on a larger scale the talent pool in Japan may be drying up or are moving to studios out west.

donny2112

I think it'll follow a more traditional sales pattern compared to Nintendo's "evergreen" games. I don't think it's completely unlikely to hit a million if it sells about 400k first week, though.

Looking at games with "Mario" in the title that sold over 300K (wide swath of genres, of course), the highest first week/LTD % is Mario Power Tennis on GameCube at 37%. If Luigi's Mansion can hit 400K first week, it would seem to have a really good shot at 1m LTD, based on that history. Luigi's Mansion had a 33% first week ratio, for reference.

Sorry about changing the topic. :p

But I've been wondering what's up with Falcom's planned 3DS support, they announced this back in July IIRC, they said next term they'd be supporting 3DS, what happened?

Nekki

Sorry about changing the topic. :p

But I've been wondering what's up with Falcom's planned 3DS support, they announced this back in July IIRC, they said next term they'd be supporting 3DS, what happened?

Perhaps Sony intencivized them to stay on their platform. Perhaps they're not ready to show a game yet.

Anyone's guess, really.

Rolf NB

Some got it for free.
Of course. That's the whole point: if you have accrued a stack of "free" Vita games after half a year or so of PS+ membership, even if your initial intention was just the PS3 content, buying a Vita becomes a much more attractive proposition.

donny2112

Of course. That's the whole point: if you have accrued a stack of "free" Vita games after half a year or so of PS+ membership, even if your initial intention was just the PS3 content, buying a Vita becomes a much more attractive proposition.

Oh, thought Graphics Horse was talking about the games, in that they're a rental that expires when the free PS+ runs out, but he was actually talking about the hardware. That changes it a bit. Yeah, it makes the Vita a more attractive proposition. Still don't agree with the "self-selected" part, if they got PS+ for free, though. :p

Killzone for Vita and PS4 is not high risk its just stubborn.
MS has done a better job of creating new IPs in the last generation.

They're not being stubborn. They're branding/ franchising it, trying to gain mindshare that its a quality series. Common business/marketing practice. And they may succeed long term if they keep refining and polishing the series.

Killzone was one of those series that gained alot of attention due to bad publicity. And Sony knows that very well. Now they're working on reversing that into something succesfull.

You know, bad PR is better than no PR.

Rolf NB

Oh, thought Graphics Horse was talking about the games, in that they're a rental that expires when the free PS+ runs out, but he was actually talking about the hardware. That changes it a bit. Yeah, it makes the Vita a more attractive proposition. Still don't agree with the "self-selected" part, if they got PS+ for free, though. :p
Oh, now I understand what you meant with getting "it" for free. I thought you meant the games :p

L Thammy

How deep is the well at Capcom? They seem to have lost a lot of talent this generation. Hence they are increasingly outsourcing their games.

Perhaps on a larger scale the talent pool in Japan may be drying up or are moving to studios out west.

I looked into their talent loss before I joined GAF. From what I saw, the only individual to be director, producer, executive producer, or game planner on debut game for any Capcom series to produce a million seller is Masahiro Yasuma (Mega Man Battle Network). No idea what he's doing now. No idea who worked on Final Fight, either, so maybe those people are still at the company.

The most major losses may be Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter II), Noritaka Funamizu (Monster Hunter, Marvel vs Capcom), Tokuro Fujiwara (Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Commando), and Keiji Inafune (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Onimusha). Each is credited on at least fifty games at Capcom.

But I don't know how much weight these big names actually have. They haven't had explosive successes after leaving the company. I also didn't look much into the guys who headed the sequels; there's no reason why those guys can't become big names themselves.

Here's some links regarding Capcom's corporate environment that may be interesting:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-11-the-rise-and-collapse-of-yoshinori-ono
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-11-yoshinori-ono-street-fighter-4-was-an-unwanted-child
http://andriasang.com/comvgl/inafune_capcom_dev_secrets/

I looked into their talent loss before I joined GAF. From what I saw, the only individual to be director, producer, executive producer, or game planner on debut game for any Capcom series to produce a million seller is Masahiro Yasuma (Mega Man Battle Network). No idea what he's doing now. No idea who worked on Final Fight, either, so maybe those people are still at the company.

The most major losses may be Yoshiki Okamoto (Street Fighter II), Noritaka Funamizu (Monster Hunter, Marvel vs Capcom), Tokuro Fujiwara (Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Commando), and Keiji Inafune (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Onimusha). Each is credited on at least fifty games at Capcom.

But I don't know how much weight these big names actually have. They haven't had explosive successes after leaving the company. I also didn't look much into the guys who headed the sequels; there's no reason why those guys can't become big names themselves.

Here's some links regarding Capcom's corporate environment that may be interesting:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-11-the-rise-and-collapse-of-yoshinori-ono
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-11-yoshinori-ono-street-fighter-4-was-an-unwanted-child
http://andriasang.com/comvgl/inafune_capcom_dev_secrets/

They also lost everyone at Clover right? The people that went on to become Platinum, including Mikami and Kamiya.

Thanks everyone.

All right, I think the current listing then would be:

Wii U:
-Ubisoft
-Activision
-Disney
-Warner Bros

Vita:
-Warner Bros
-Namco Bandai
-Tecmo Koei
---smaller publishers start here---
-Atlus
-Acquire
-Milestone
-Marvelous AQL
-Falcom
-5pb
-Spike Chunsoft
-Compile Heart

By these standards they currently seem to have a similar number of major publishers, though the Vita is having notably more success among smaller publishers.

That said, the Wii U came out much more recently, so we will have to see if that holds true.

Are you only looking for upcoming stuff? If you are including the last ~6 months, you can add Sega (Miku), Konami (two different baseball franchises), and Kadokawa (Demon's Gaze) for Vita.

Erethian

They also lost everyone at Clover right? The people that went on to become Platinum, including Mikami and Kamiya.

Yes. The big problem with that was that when people like Inaba, Mikami, and Kamiya left they took a lot of the lead design staff they'd worked with on various games. Like almost all of the game designers for REmake and RE4 left with Mikami.

Sooo! 3DS summer is even more packed with the remake of the first Etrian Odyssey; it'd be probably cross the 100k, I don't think more being de facto an old game. Though, this might be that Atlus is planning a new Etrian Odyssey for 2014.

Thorgal

so anyone willing to make any predictions?

weegee : 300.000

one piece: ps3 : 300.000

Vita : 70.000

3DS hardware 75.000

Vita. 45.000

Boney

Banned
Sooo! 3DS summer is even more packed with the remake of the first Etrian Odyssey; it'd be probably cross the 100k, I don't think more being de facto an old game. Though, this might be that Atlus is planning a new Etrian Odyssey for 2014.

wait what?

so it wasn't a gree version?

praise the gods

Nekki

weegee : 300.000

one piece: ps3 : 300.000

Vita : 70.000

3DS hardware 75.000

Vita. 45.000

I was first going to say why would Vita suddenly rise to 70k, then I realized you're talking about the game, lol.

We'll I'd say...

LM2: 380k
OPM2: 350k (PS3: 300k; Vita: 50k)

Vita: 28k
3DS: 80k

i'm actually thinking now could we all (myself included) be lowballing 3ds hardware quite a bit, we're looking at weegee launching over 300k (possibly way way over) so that should give the hardware a bump coupled with 2 new colours for the original 3ds the first new ones in a long time, could we be maybe looking at over 100k?

i'm actually thinking now could we all (myself included) be lowballing 3ds hardware quite a bit, we're looking at weegee launching over 300k (possibly way way over) so that should give the hardware a bump coupled with 2 new colours for the original 3ds the first new ones in a long time, could we be maybe looking at over 100k?

I don't see Luigi bringing much new userbase on the platform, and those two colors are extremely ugly :p

The fact that we're looking at the potential of Luigi selling more than 3D Land in terms of first week is kind of crazy.

Luigi won't have Mario legs, though.

serplux

The fact that we're looking at the potential of Luigi selling more than 3D Land in terms of first week is kind of crazy.

Luigi won't have Mario legs, though.

If it can hold out until Golden Week it will get a nice bump then. 1 million from Luigi = girlish squee from me.

CrisKre

I dont see Luigi opening over 250k as much as Im ADORING the game. Having it over 300k would be kinda nuts and a HUGE success for the franchise. Very few titles accomplish that first week in Japan, and rarely from such lapsed franchises. Why are people predicting such high numbers? did I miss anything?

I dont see Luigi opening over 250k as much as Im ADORING the game. Having it over 300k would be kinda nuts and a HUGE success for the franchise. Very few titles accomplish that first week in Japan, and rarely from such lapsed franchises. Why are people predicting such high numbers? did I miss anything?

500k shipmemt- high first day sellthrough

We're talking about the possibility of a Luigi title having a better debut than a 3D Mario title. Rationally, it's something crazy.

Better than almost all 3d marios

500k shipment and first day sell through 'very high'

Soriku

They already shipped 500k.

Assuming high means at least 70% sell through, that's already at least 350k for the first day. The rest of the week will have it above 400k, possibly above NSMB2.

Assuming high means at least 70% sell through, that's already at least 350k for the first day. The rest of the week will have it above 400k, possibly above NSMB2.

high is pretty ambiguous, i'd like to hope its over 70% though trying to keep my expectations low/grounded so based my prediction on it just being above 50%, its worth noting that amazon sold out day 1 and i think didnt we have reports of some other retailers selling out almost as quick

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are you only looking for upcoming stuff? If you are including the last ~6 months, you can add Sega (Miku), Konami (two different baseball franchises), and Kadokawa (Demon's Gaze) for Vita.

I stuck to upcoming primarily because we usually see a lot of publishers up front for any system, and then that either thins out or grows depending on the platform's success.

L Thammy

Sorry: Masahiro Yasuma's the only remaining guy who fits the conditions I mentioned. Takashi Nishiyama, Yoshiki Okamoto, Shinji Mikami, Noritaka Funamizu, Hideki Kamiya, Tokuro Fujiwara, and Keiji Inafune have all left. Also, a lot of the old artists are gone. Akiman, Bengus, Kinu Nishimura, probably more.

The company growing increasingly risk averse seems to have been a big part towards people leaving. In the articles I posted, Inafune and Ono have talk about what lengths they had to go to in order to get things greenlighted. Inaba's also talked about Phoenix Wright and Steel Battalion facing internal resistance.

I don't think they're typical for a Japanese company, but maybe I'm wrong. Their business side not only controls the creative side, but stifles it. That's what drives people away. Inafune's specifically pointed to Nintendo as an example of a company led by its creative side (though I'm sure others may not agree with that).

Louie: 375K. I could imagine a bigger debut than 3D Land, but far more frontloaded.
One Piece: 500K PS3, 100K

3DS: 70K
PSV: 30K

Not sure if those are even realistic. Did anything come out on Vita this week besides One Piece?

Weegee will definitely pass 300k sold first week, hell it'll probably sell nearly the 500k shipment on the first week (depending on when it was released, too lazy to check atm) and yes 3DS will be over 100k for sure as well.

Top Bottom