• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

Log4Girlz

It isn't, but gamers are just a vocal ultra-minority on this industry since at least 15 years now. The leap in graphics is not a game changer, but most people here doesn't play (that's for toys and that's why Nintendo isn't cool), they experience interactive experiences that are supposed to be art.

Why do you think that every time a west developer like Naughty dog or Remedy speak about their products they focus on the graphics or the plot? The same goes for Guerrilla, most of EA, Ubisoft...

Its a differentiating factor. I mean really, can you imagine any kind of long talk about some 2D platformer's gameplay? Those mechanics have been done to death.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, has people changed mind about the "doomed" PS4 Japanese numbers now?
It is holding pretty well: the launch hype is done, the software is not even there, and it's selling at the actual top hw numbers allowed by this market, even being a home console and not a portable one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yodobashi's PS4 stock status, @18:17 JPT

PS4 in stock everywhere

I'm guessing he owns a Vita and not a PS4 and want Japanese support to be channeled on the Vita rather than the PS4? So yeah

That would be rather weird.

Considering most vita owners also have ps3 then ps4 is natural expansion in the future. Plus it all comes together into one PSN+ annual fee

L~A

[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai - 153pt (Puchi Puchi pack) + 30pt = 183pt
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f - 138pt
[PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 147pt
[3DS] Hastune Miku: Project Mirai 2 - 71pt (Puchi Puchi pack) + 65pt = 126pt
[PSV] Hastune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd - 127pt
[PS3] Hastune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd - 80pt

[WII] Mario Party 8 - 100pt
[WII] Mario Party 9 - 114pt
[3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour - 90pt

What about the DS game?

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 321pt + 52pt (Premium Package) - 373pt
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 90pt
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 66pt

Guess Japanese players aren't reall interested either... then again, that's comparing a full game to a prologue/demo.

[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment - 120pt + 99pt = 219pt
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 75pt + 49pt = 124pt

When is this game coming out, by the way?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It is holding pretty well: the launch hype is done, the software is not even there, and it's selling at the actual top hw numbers allowed by this market, even being a home console and not a portable one.

Well, that's a way to see things if you want to believe it's doing fine.

L~A

Any first day numbers for Hero Bank on 3ds?

I'm sure we'll get them in a few hours. Honestly, I'm not confident, I still haven't forgotten Gaist Crusher :p

So is the consensus that Wii U will have a bigger LTD than Ps4 at the end of the generation in Japan?

Unless publishers don't move from the PS3 (or go toward the Wii U... or full mobile), I don't see that happening at all. I don't think it's possible for the PS4 to do worse than the Wii U... only that'd happen is with some miracle, and the Wii U suddenly doing Wii numbers for the next 2 years or so. In other words : not happening.

Celine

It's sad how much expectation was lowered for the japanese market.

m0t0k1

I'm sure we'll get them in a few hours. Honestly, I'm not confident, I still haven't forgotten Gaist Crusher :p

Yeah that is what i am afraid off. This game looks interesting to me. They will also be launching an anime for this game so i hope it does better then gaist.

Its a differentiating factor. I mean really, can you imagine any kind of long talk about some 2D platformer's gameplay? Those mechanics have been done to death.
Of course I can imagine it. Not only game mechanics count (from physics to actions, enemies killed when jumping upon them or not, hitboxes), but also level design (enemy placement, route design).
If gameplay was the focus, I wouldn't have to see a mediocre platformer like Rayman Origins considered one time after another one of the best ever made.

From Mario to Kirby, modern Rayman games, Donkey Kong, Little Big Planet or indie stuff like Gianna Sisters (to name the last I've played) or Super Meat Boy. There's a lot to discuss regarding that besides graphics, but as I said, the ones who care about those aspects are just a vocal minority on the industry.

Experiencers are the vast majority in the media, and the worst is that the term "hardcore gamer" is now also valid to describe them.

Log4Girlz

Of course I can imagine it. Not only game mechanics count (from physics to actions, enemies killed when jumping upon them or not, hitboxes), but also level design (enemy placement, route design).
If gameplay was the focus, I wouldn't have to see a mediocre platformer like Rayman Origins considered one time after another one of the best ever made.

From Mario to Kirby, modern Rayman games, Donkey Kong, Little Big Planet or indie stuff like Gianna Sisters (to name the last I've played) or Super Meat Boy. There's a lot to discuss regarding that besides graphics, but as I said, the ones who care about those aspects are just a vocal minority on the industry.

Experiencers are the vast majority in the media, and the worst is that the term "hardcore gamer" is now also valid to describe them.

One way or another those are gamers. This is an interactive medium. Period. No need to label people as anything other than a gamer. The main thrust in innovation is in technology in bringing an experience to life, as most types of gameplay have already been set over a generation ago and there isn't as much to say about them that would interest many people. So its a waste of time. As for the "hardcore" label, anyone who spends a significant amount of time and their expendable cash on a hobby is a hardcore supporter, regardless if it is gaming, regardless of the genre.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.03.27}

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Gold Rajan <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥19.900)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ # <ETC> (Konami) (¥5.985)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Nene Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Manaka Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Rinko Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)

[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.350)
[PSV] Hakuoki SSL: Sweet School Life # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Hakuoki SSL: Sweet School Life [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSV] Ro-Kyu-Bu! Naisho no Shutter Chance # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.480)
[PSV] Ro-Kyu-Bu! Naisho no Shutter Chance [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥9.980)
[PSV] Golden Time: Vivid Memories # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.279)
[PSV] Golden Time: Vivid Memories [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥10.479)
[PSV] Lovely Quest: Unlimited # <ADV> (Piacci) (¥6.279)
[PSV] Lovely Quest: Unlimited [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Piacci) (¥8.379)
[PSV] Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight # <RPG> (Gust) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight [Premium Box] <RPG> (Gust) (¥8.190)
[PSV] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[PSV] Winning Post 8 [20th Anniversary Premium Box] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.290)
[PSV] Kanojo wa ore Kara Hanarenai # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) (¥5.229)
[PSV] Kanojo wa ore Kara Hanarenai [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) (¥6.279)

[PSP] Romeo & Juliet # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.300)
[PSP] Romeo & Juliet [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Another Sky feat. Shiseikan # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)
[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Another Sky feat. Shiseikan [Treasure Box] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.440)

[WIU] Wii Sports Club: Wii U Family Premium Set <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥31.500)

[PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.350)
[PS3] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190)
[PS3] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z [Ninja Pack] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥10.395)
[PS3] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z [Zombie Pack] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥12.390)
[PS3] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190)
[PS3] Winning Post 8 [20th Anniversary Premium Box] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥11.340)
[PS3] Tomb Raider: Game of the Year Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Hitman: Absolution (Low-Cost Version) <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Sleeping Dogs (Low-Cost Version) <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥3.990)

[360] Titalfall <ACT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)
[360] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190)
[360] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z [Zombie Pack] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥12.390)
[360] Ga-Sen: Love Plus Pengo! # <ETC> (Triangle Service) (¥7.140)
[360] Ga-Sen: Love Plus Pengo! [Limited Edition] <ETC> (Triangle Service) (¥9.240)
[360] Tomb Raider: Game of the Year Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) (¥3.990)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Little update from Yodobashi @ 22:21 JPT

PS4 in stock everywhere; low stock in one store.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, that's a way to see things if you want to believe it's doing fine.

are you saying that a 30k weekly standard would mean performing bad for a home console in Japan? because what I've said is that to me the launch hype is now gone, there was no new software, so we can look at it as a normal week. and for PS3 selling 30k a week it's not a bd performance, honestly.
if it will drop around 10 would be very bad, as it was for Vita or as it is for the Wii U.

It's sad how much expectation was lowered for the japanese market.

Of course the market, especially for home consoles, is not healthy, but I can't imagine to judge PS4 perfomance based on a 12 years old market situation, honestly.

mclem

There was a Valve talk a while back about how the AI Director in Left 4 Dead was implemented. Now that's the sort of thing I want to hear!

L~A

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS LL Monster Hunter 4 Gold Rajan <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥19.900)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ # <ETC> (Konami) (¥5.985)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Nene Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Manaka Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)
[3DS] New Love Plus+ [Rinko Deluxe Complete Set] <ETC> (Konami) (¥33.600)

Hmm... I had forgotten both NL++ and the MH4 3DS XL came out on the same day.

I wonder what kind of impact Miku will have on PSV sales, given that :

- game's also available on PS3 (though much higher pre-orders for PSV)
- there's already been one Miku game on Vita, so impact on sales will be much less significant. Then again, Vita's much less dead than it was when the 1st game came out, so maybe more people will be tempted.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS4 has the expected lifecycle so far. Strong start and continued drops since relevant software is absent. It just collapsed sooner than I expected it, it will be tracking below PS3 very soon.

One way or another those are gamers. This is an interactive medium. Period. No need to label people as anything other than a gamer. The main thrust in innovation is in technology in bringing an experience to life, as most types of gameplay have already been set over a generation ago and there isn't as much to say about them that would interest many people. So its a waste of time. As for the "hardcore" label, anyone who spends a significant amount of time and their expendable cash on a hobby is a hardcore supporter, regardless if it is gaming, regardless of the genre.
Videogames have become a medium even when they weren't meant to be one, and that means that a lot of people can approach them even if they're not gamers.
In other words, would you say that my aunt playing wii-fit is a gamer? Would she be a gamer if she did the same in a gym?
And what about people interested on the plot or the graphics? Could you say they're hardcore gamers? Why? Their interest is not in gaming, but in real time rendering or in the plot.

I define "gamer" as someone that's interested on gaming, not viewing, not listening, not doing exercise...

SmokyDave said:
....and they're probably having more fun than you.
Without any doubt. This is why I'm pissed with this industry, because traditional gaming is facing total death.

SmokyDave

Videogames have become a medium even when they weren't meant to be one, and that means that a lot of people can approach them even if they're not gamers.
In other words, would you say that my aunt playing wii-fit is a gamer? Would she be a gamer if she did the same in a gym?
And what about people interested on the plot or the graphics? Could you say they're hardcore gamers? Why? Their interest is not in gaming, but in real time rendering or in the plot.

I define "gamer" as someone that's interested on gaming, not viewing, not listening, not doing exercise...

Without any doubt. This is why I'm pissed with this industry, because traditional gaming is facing total death.
You're mixing up gamers with gaming enthusiasts.

I also think there are more games out there than ever, and certainly something for everyone. You just need to leave your comfort zone. Try PC & iOS.

SmokyDave

Well, this may be because English is not my usual language. I'm catalan and here when you say "hardcore gamer" or "gamer" (in english) you mean "gaming enthusiasts".
Gamers play games. Gaming enthusiasts moan about games on message boards. Hardcore gamers can be either.

Edit: slightly less facetious version. To my mind, anyone that plays and enjoys games is a gamer. Gaming enthusiasts are the people that follow the industry closely, that are invested in the past and the future of the industry, that kinda thing. Hardcore gamers are just people that spend a lot of time or money on gaming.

Takao

Banned
Yeah that is what i am afraid off. This game looks interesting to me. They will also be launching an anime for this game so i hope it does better then gaist.

Gaist has an anime series too, which is why it's considered to be such a big bomba.

L~A

Gaist has an anime series too, which is why it's considered to be such a big bomba.

I can't help but think it would've performed better if Capcom didn't release it in such a busy period as Christmas season. But then again, I doubt it would have been much more successful...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's still in a post-launch period. I wouldn't consider this a "normal" week.

Oh, I agree that this should be the point to be double checked in the incoming weeks.
But I think that its hold compared to last week is a very good sign for the hardware, because it's the fourth week and not the third, the hype of the pure launch should be obviously weaker, the lack of software should be even harder, but the console didn't drop at all.
If the console will hit a standard average sale weekly number of 10/15K it will be bad, but if this number of 30K will become an average it should be seen as good imho

Bruno MB

Gaist Crusher is one of the biggest bombs I remember for a game that had an initial shipment close to 100.000 units.

In its first week it didn't even manage to sell a 10% of available units. No wonder you can buy it now for just ¥1.000.

Takao

Banned
I can't help but think it would've performed better if Capcom didn't release it in such a busy period as Christmas season. But then again, I doubt it would have been much more successful...

The Gaist Crusher anime is still ongoing, and Capcom appears to be putting out DLC on a regular basis. It's not as though the property disappeared once the game flopped, it's just that no one really cares. The fact that it's in the bomba bins so soon, and isn't charting proves that.

It bombed so badly that i dont think you can point to a single reason but launching a new IP for kids in the weeks/months after pokemon and MH and the same day as Inazuma doesn't help your early sales and its going to be hard to build any momentum if noone buys the game to begin with

antibolo

Banned
So is the consensus that Wii U will have a bigger LTD than Ps4 at the end of the generation in Japan?

No way, not even close.

The PS4 is having a worse start due to the lack of system selling launch titles. It will pick up steam eventually, could take a while but in the long run it will. The Wii U will not, it will never beat its first year.

All I can say is that I'm very thankful your vehement bigotry is about people's aesthetic tastes rather than their skin color, religious creed, or sexual preferences. It's no more justifiable, but at least it's less poisonous.

Top Bottom