• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

L~A

Dengeki shows Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai 2 (3DS) is now at 198,871, next week it'll pass 200k, as it did 1,800 last week! Famitsu last had reported it on Dec 29th at... 134k. Wow. The original was last reported on Famitsu at 180k.

I know I've already said the same thing in the past, but it's cool to see SEGA was able to establish a fanbase on the 3DS.
(Now if only they could localise this one too ;__;)

As for L+, it's gonna be real test. I went and looked up some articles about the game's launch, and well... looks like it was even worse than I remembered. It's not just that sales plummeted because of the game-breaking bug, Konami actually asked retailers to stop selling the game (and since there were no patches on the 3DS yet).

We'll see if this really killed the franchise (at least on handhelds), or if Konami will be able to bring it back on its feet.

Takao

Banned
If you want the 3DS Mikus to get localized, hope the Vita version of f sells well. If that does, it pretty much means anything Miku is worth SoA's time because it's got a lot going against it. With the PS3 version of F doing <20k in the US, 3DS Miku would probably be eShop only game, though.

Difficult to get Remote Play working when you're kilometers away from your PS4, which is the typical use case for MonHan in Japan.

You can use Remote Play over the internet. It's not a same room experience like Wii U.

Busaiku

A Link Between Worlds didn't get that big a shipment right? It's mostly been selling modestly given its shipment sizes?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If you want the 3DS Mikus to get localized, hope the Vita version of f sells well. If that does, it pretty much means anything Miku is worth SoA's time because it's got a lot going against it. With the PS3 version of F doing <20k in the US, 3DS Miku would probably be eShop only game, though.

You can use Remote Play over the internet. It's not a same room experience like Wii U.

Would you even want to play MH like that... seriously

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Are the 3DS Miku games as difficult as the Vita/PS3 games ? Tried the demo for the first game on PS3, but the difficulty was a mayor turn-off. The Chibi look and more noobie friendly game would be great.

BriBri

Since this is turning into a game impressions thread: has anyone played the Kuroko's Basketball full game (not demo)?

And to keep on topic: the eShop anecdotals unsurprisingly are Mario Party>>Game Center>>Hero Bank.

DaBoss

A big part of MH's appeal in Japan is local multiplayer, so remote play would not be a solution to that.

MH won't do as well on consoles as it will on handhelds.

Are the 3DS Miku games as difficult as the Vita/PS3 games ? Tried the demo for the first game on PS3, but the difficulty was a mayor turn-off. The Chibi look and more noobie friendly game would be great.

Honestly, I think the Mirai games have a lot of western mass-appeal to young girls as the Nendoroid designs have a doll look to them. Sell it to the Barbie crowd or something. Now whether they can sell the vocaloid aspect, that's a whole 'nother story. It's not to everyone's taste for sure.

L Thammy

I'm under the impression that J-Stars, Phantasy Star and Vita sold really well.

Phantasy Star's likely to be one of the Vita's biggest franchises. J-Stars could do really well.

Code:
NDS	:	Jump! Ultimate Stars	(	Nintendo	) {	2006-11-23	} -	        169,740	/	789,445
NDS	:	Jump! Super Stars	(	Nintendo	) {	2005-08-08	} -	        202,139	/	549,265

Shonen Jump was biggest in the '80s / '90s as far as I know. Dunno if the Vita audience is good or bad for it.

cw_sasuke

Man Zelda has severely declined in Japan :/
Sold very well compared to the GB, GBC and GBA 2D Zelda titles - don't know why everyone always expects OoT sale from every Zelda title.

@Hero of the legend
I agree, they could market it to that specific niche even on 3DS - but with an eshop only release and the difficulty it might me unrealistic.

Busaiku

The DS titles almost turned the series around, but a lot of Spirit Tracks's sales were due to the price drops.
They both probably have the highest share of Japan : US sales in the franchise.

cw_sasuke

The DS titles almost turned the series around, but a lot of Spirit Tracks's sales were due to the price drops.
They both probably have the highest share of Japan : US sales in the franchise.
New type of Gameplay with focus on casual friendly controls when everyone and their mommy bought a DS, helped Phantom hourglass to achieve these high sales. Spirit tracks proved that it was just a abnormally of the time, nothing they can build on.

A classic 2D handheld Zelda was never going to really reach new people, either you already like it or you don't.

Busaiku

Well, Spirit Tracks's 1st week was almost as high as A Link Between Worlds's LTD (might even be higher since I'm using Famitsu).
Also, to be fair, while it did have a massive price drop, few titles have legs as strong even after that.

Bruno MB

First day sales (sell-through)

{2014.03.19}

[PS3] J-Stars Victory Vs [Anison Sound Edition]
[PSV] J-Stars Victory Vs [Anison Sound Edition]

- Over 80%

{2014.03.20}

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

- Between 60 and 70%

[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4

- Over 60% (sales lacking compared to Samurai Warriors 3 Z)

[3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour - Around 50%

[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
[PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014
[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014

- Between 50 and 60% (big drop for the PS3 version)

[3DS] Retro Game Challenge: 3-Choume no Arino - 60%

[3DS] Hero Bank - Around 40%

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Late, but finally here.

...Could Hero Bank be not the flop we feared? :O It was also way higher than I thought innthe Comgnet chart

Yodobashi Ps4 stock status, 20:29 JPT

Available in 17 stores, 2 with low stock
3 stores are sold out

NeonZ

Sold very well compared to the GB, GBC and GBA 2D Zelda titles - don't know why everyone always expects OoT sale from every Zelda title.

Some people had seemingly convinced themselves that 2d Zelda was a new NSMB situation waiting to happen, even though, unlike 2d Mario, we never really stopped getting 2d Zelda games, aside from the DS generation.

May16

I would say "maybe people are holding out for the PS4 version" but there... doesn't appear to be such a thing? Japanese PS4 support is really thin, wow.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, it seems that One Piece: UWR will come to PS3, Vita and Wii U in Japan as well (+ 3DS version getting a big update). Vita SKU justified, then.

Takao

Banned
I'm not making a thread because no one really cares; here's some Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 stuff:

http://dbhu.channel.or.jp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnwxUfPuxSo

Graphically speaking, it looks a lot better than the first, but Namco Bandai suspiciously didn't include shots from where the previous game chugged.

The image on the site is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in Dragon Ball history. You have GT mixed with Dragon Ball mixed with fanfiction, and generic player characters (do not steal).

Bruno MB

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds performance has been very disappointing, especially considering that it was heavily supply-constrained in its second week. Nintendo restocked after holiday season but sales quickly fell off a cliff. I thought that it would have much better legs. Now I seriously doubt it will get to half a million units and that's including its digital sales.

Comgnet Launch Points

[Vita] Phantasy Star Online 2 - 160pt [55.879]
[Vita] Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode 2 - 43pt

D:

Well it's a F2P game so it's not like we should care.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 23pt > 31pt

19./25. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 4.970 / 3.418.799 <80-100%> (+11%)
Rise this is the beginning.

Youkai Watch nowhere to be seen and really low on Tsutaya as well (#14). It's currently sold out on Amazon and Yodobashi.

vareon

The last contender in mixed media attempt for 3DS finally arrived! Will it survive? Will it follow the path of Youkai Watch, or will it join Gyrozetter and Gaist Crusher? Next week, in Media Create 12: Excite! New player Hero Bank arrives!!

...isn't around 40% kind of okay-ish for games that are supposed to have long legs?

Busaiku

Yeah, 40% is ok for more casual oriented titles.
But many of those titles (typically from Nintendo) also have bigger shipments.

I doubt Hero Bank got a 150k+ shipment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, 40% is ok for more casual oriented titles.
But many of those titles (typically from Nintendo) also have bigger shipments.

I doubt Hero Bank got a 150k+ shipment.
Right, without a known or at least predictable shipment, this doesn't tell us much.

L~A

First day sales (sell-through)

{2014.03.19}

[PS3] J-Stars Victory Vs [Anison Sound Edition]
[PSV] J-Stars Victory Vs [Anison Sound Edition]

- Over 80%

{2014.03.20}

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

- Between 60 and 70%

[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4

- Over 60% (sales lacking compared to Samurai Warriors 3 Z)

[3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour - Around 50%

[3DS] Retro Game Challenge: 3-Choume no Arino - 60%

I was gonna say 'oh, no bomba this week? Then I saw the comments for SW4 and PBS...

Youkai Watch nowhere to be seen and really low on Tsutaya as well (#14). It's currently sold out on Amazon and Yodobashi.

Still sold out... but how? Can't Level-5 just make a big order of carts and then ship them? Well, at least it's a pretty good sign the game just keeps selling!

Still sold out... but how? Can't Level-5 just make a big order of carts and then ship them? Well, at least it's a pretty good sign the game just keeps selling!
Its been selling well last few weeks, L5 is probably surprised it's selling this well even with the restock.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Man Zelda has severely declined in Japan :/

edit: dunno why I was talking about the portable games, thought you only meant the handheld games and not the franchise as a whole. Then yes, the Zelda series has definitely declined in Japan over the years.

original post:
No it didn't. Only the DS games sold exceptionally well but Spirit Tracks did so with a price collapse within the first month and big discounts even before that.
Ocarina 3D well, it was boosted by being the fist big 3DS release and a remake of the most beloved chapter, thus appealing for people who don't normally consider handheld Zeldas.
Other than those 3, ALBW is the best selling portable Zelda in the series, will be way past 400k when all is said and done, good but not mindblowing, definitely not a huge decline when you take all the factors into consideration, of course it's disappointing it didn't sell more considering how much better it is than the DS games, but it's clear the audience on 3DS is much different than what was on NDS.

These numbers are from 40+ days ago, should be close to/past 390k now.

Code:
The Legend of Zelda - / 1,690,000 [FDS]
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - / 1,610,000 [FDS]
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past - / 1,160,000 [SFC]
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 386,234 / 1,143,570 [N64]
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 288,282 / 902,386 [NDS]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 287,346 / 742,609 [NGC]
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 320,940 / 725,904 [NDS]
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 314,044 / 601,542 [N64]
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 182,998 / 601,000 * [3DS]
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 145,068 / 552,476 [Wii]
[b]The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 225,418 / 374.745  TBD[/b] [3DS]
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - 191,802 / 373,370 [GBC]
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 190,029 / 372,701 [GBC]
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 194,894 / 297,441 [Wii]
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + New Four Swords - 84,107 / 293,989 [GBA]
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - 92,882 / 235,400 [GBA]
Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda - 36,861 / 217,901 [GBA]
Famicom Mini: Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link - 35,335 / 141,826 [GBA]
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - 54,782 / 127,399 [NGC]
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 49,513 / 314313 [GBC]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 31,154 / TBD [WiU]

Imagine how bad this thread would be if there were no numbers and we had to try hunting down everything, like in the PAL charts.
*cringe*

RalchAC

I was expecting it to do 500k LTD combined, similar to the DS ones. Is the game meant to be crap or something?

Well, everybody and his grandmother had a DS in Japan, so it's posible that the Shonen Jump audience actually overlapped the DS audience. This may not be the case for the PS3 + Vita.

I kind of want a proper Naruto game on the Vita. A Ultimate Ninja Storm would be awesome even if its graphics don't match the PS3. People complain about the lack of depth but I found them quite fun. I played the shit out of 2/Generations with a friend like 2 years ago.

The last part is kinda off-topic, sorry.

L Thammy

I was expecting it to do 500k LTD combined, similar to the DS ones. Is the game meant to be crap or something?

Well, that's one reason why it might do worse, bad word of mouth. As said above, it might also be on a worse set of platforms, since Shonen Jump is as mainstream as you get.

It should also be noted that the roster of featured series is different. I'm not sure how well it's maintained, but you can look the list of best-selling manga on Wikipedia and judge for yourself whether it's better or worse. Compared to Superstars, Victory Versus gains Hokuto no Ken, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Saint Seiya, Jigoku Sensei Nube, etc. It loses Slam Dunk, The Prince of Tennis, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Death Note, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, etc.

I don't think it would be a disappointment for Bandai if it sells, say, 300K though. Might be disappointing for Shueisha.

The image on the site is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen in Dragon Ball history. You have GT mixed with Dragon Ball mixed with fanfiction, and generic player characters (do not steal).

I'm digging the genderswap Android 19, but those kids are giving me Dragonball AF vibes.

Ricky 7

Well, everybody and his grandmother had a DS in Japan, so it's posible that the Shonen Jump audience actually overlapped the DS audience. This may not be the case for the PS3 + Vita.

I kind of want a proper Naruto game on the Vita. A Ultimate Ninja Storm would be awesome even if its graphics don't match the PS3. People complain about the lack of depth but I found them quite fun. I played the shit out of 2/Generations with a friend like 2 years ago.

The last part is kinda off-topic, sorry.

You had very wrong expectations.

I always thought that the anime fan base was more on the Playstation side since that One Piece game sold so much.

Well, that's one reason why it might do worse, bad word of mouth. As said above, it might also be on a worse set of platforms, since Shonen Jump is as mainstream as you get.

It should also be noted that the roster of featured series is different. I'm not sure how well it's maintained, but you can look the list of best-selling manga on Wikipedia and judge for yourself whether it's better or worse. Compared to Superstars, Victory Versus gains Hokuto no Ken, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Saint Seiya, Jigoku Sensei Nube, etc. It loses Slam Dunk, The Prince of Tennis, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Death Note, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, etc.

I don't think it would be a disappointment for Bandai if it sells, say, 300K though. Might be disappointing for Shueisha.

I'm pretty sure Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya are in Jump Ultimate Stars.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
19./25. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 4.970 / 3.418.799 <80-100%> (+11%)

following last weeks chat a hell of a lot of places have MH4 -new- for 3480-3680 yen.

GOTF at a great price? There we go - no excuses for the last 4 people who don't already own it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Compared to Superstars, Victory Versus gains Hokuto no Ken, Sakigake!! Otokojuku, Saint Seiya, Jigoku Sensei Nube, etc. It loses Slam Dunk, The Prince of Tennis, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Death Note, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, etc.

Ehmm...

7ZKfia5.jpg

32V8QDp.jpg

L~A

Its been selling well last few weeks, L5 is probably surprised it's selling this well even with the restock.

Carts also take a long time to manufacture relative to discs so fixing stock problems is notably harder.

I'd understand if it was a one-time occurence, but it's been happening pretty much non-stop since the holiday season started last year. So roughly 3-4 months of constant "selling well > shortages > sales drop a bit > new shipment > spike in sales > sales steady a bit > shortages > etc...

It's not like YW is suddenly getting 100k weeks, followed by shortages. It's selling steadily, and usually, Level-5 manage to get new shipment within the week if there's any shortages, so it's not like there's any major production hurdle (and YW doesn't use a special cartridge, unlike Animal Crossing for example). Which is why I find that weird : after 3 months of such sales, why haven't they significantly increased shipments? Not x2, but at least 1.5.

Though, I'm not really complaining, especially since shortages aren't really hurting the game sales, but it's still a bit strange.

I believe so, but am not 100% sure.

Pretty sure they still do, I

A PS4 announcement, finally!!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/25/warriors-orochi-3-ultimate-ready-pile-even-troops-screen-ps4/

Another Tecmo Koei late port...this is getting awful

This is starting to get nasty... Sony must have some sort of event planned before TGS.

Top Bottom