• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

Well, everybody and his grandmother had a DS in Japan, so it's posible that the Shonen Jump audience actually overlapped the DS audience. This may not be the case for the PS3 + Vita.

I kind of want a proper Naruto game on the Vita. A Ultimate Ninja Storm would be awesome even if its graphics don't match the PS3. People complain about the lack of depth but I found them quite fun. I played the shit out of 2/Generations with a friend like 2 years ago.

The last part is kinda off-topic, sorry.

Namco should make the next one for PS4 especially since its a Western franchise (most of its sales come from the West). Imagine this on next gen

muusys87.gif

It will look just like the anime.

Namco should make the next one for PS4 especially since its a Western franchise (most of its sales come from the West). Imagine this on next gen

[IM G]http://www.abload.de/img/muusys87.gif[/IMG]

Anime games tend to aim at a large audience. Aiming off the PS3 would probably be unwise.

test_account

XP-39C²
Those aren't real games.

He's wrong as well, this is the only real game.

http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/arcade/pong.gif

If it's not Pong, it's wrong.
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, i actually though of those oldest games as well :) Technically those games could be defines as traditional games indeed, games where you mostly just saw one screen at the time and the main goal was to get a high score. These games exist today as well in a big scale, mostly on cellphone/tablets, so traditional gaming still exist. And if traditional gaming means playing with a controller, then those also exist in a big way =)

antibolo

Banned
Superior version on PS4, we don't know how the PS3 version will run.

Yeah, they haven't revealed any details on how the PS3 version will look like yet.

While it's safe to assume that the PS4 version will be identical to the arcade, they may tone down the graphics in some way to have it run on PS3.

With that said, though, I don't think it will be much of a difference. Despite how awesome the game looks, it's still just cel shaded models, just very well done, at a level we've never seen before. And if you look at the announcement trailers that show the models close up, their polygon count is not that high, you can see plenty of sharp edges.

sense

This is starting to get nasty... Sony must have some sort of event planned before TGS.

A PS4 announcement, finally!!!

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/25/warriors-orochi-3-ultimate-ready-pile-even-troops-screen-ps4/

Another Tecmo Koei late port...this is getting awful

i don't understand this obsession over software for the system in its first year. the sales are going to be rough in the first year. get over it. 3rd party publishers aren't going to come out with full support with unique exclusive titles for a new system in its first year anymore. publishers are being really careful nowadays. they want a decent install base before they are ready to put their big games on it. Most likely games started development mid to late last year and with how the system performs they will decide whether to speed up development or go for a wait and see approach. Until next year you are most likely going to see ports and cross platform development.

maybe people need to realize new systems aren't going to do well in its initial years in japan atleast. this happened with the 3ds and then it took off in its second year. this happened with vita where it was presumed dead and never coming back and guess what it is still here and growing slowly but surely in japan and atleast it is going to stay alive in the west with remote play and tons of indie support . i can't say anything about wii u because i am very doubtful about that making any sort of comeback besides selling well during holidays and some noticeable bumps during big nintendo game releases. the ps4 has all the western support and the install base over there compared to the vita which did not have any big third party support. the tales games seem to be doing well in the west with namco bringing more of them to the west so they must be encouraged by ps4 sales so we are likely to see a ps4 game from them. mainline yakuza is very likely because the spin off doesn't seemed to have bombed at ps4 launch.

I mean are we seriously doubting a system with great western third party support and sales that is getiing mgs 5, ffxv, kingdom hearts and most likely yakuza, tales, resident evil in the next year or so? this isn't even counting unknowns in terms of sales like gravity daze 2( guessing vita/ps4 for this) deep down, lily bergamo, last guardian which might be a joke at this point but we know it is definitely happening at some point. Rant over...

Fisico

Yeah, they haven't revealed any details on how the PS3 version will look like yet.

While it's safe to assume that the PS4 version will be identical to the arcade, they may tone down the graphics in some way to have it run on PS3.

With that said, though, I don't think it will be much of a difference. Despite how awesome the game looks, it's still just cel shaded models, just very well done, at a level we've never seen before. And if you look at the announcement trailers that show the models close up, their polygon count is not that high, you can see plenty of sharp edges.

ArcSys isn't that big of a studio, and the top priority is a constant 60fps so I wouldn't be so positive about the downgrades of the PS3 version.

antibolo

Banned
ArcSys isn't that big of a studio, and the top priority is a constant 60fps so I wouldn't be so positive about the downgrades of the PS3 version.

The funny thing is, they could simply have the PS3 version use pre-rendered sprites and it would still look pretty cool. The only loss would be the rotating camera effects, which are not essential to the gameplay.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they'll be doing. They could even reuse the existing BlazBlue/P4A engine, no need to go with the Unreal Engine, so this could be pretty cost-efficient.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
i don't understand this obsession over software for the system in its first year. the sales are going to be rough in the first year. get over it. 3rd party publishers aren't going to come out with full support with unique exclusive titles for a new system in its first year anymore. publishers are being really careful nowadays. they want a decent install base before they are ready to put their big games on it. Most likely games started development mid to late last year and with how the system performs they will decide whether to speed up development or go for a wait and see approach. Until next year you are most likely going to see ports and cross platform development.

maybe people need to realize new systems aren't going to do well in its initial years in japan atleast. this happened with the 3ds and then it took off in its second year. this happened with vita where it was presumed dead and never coming back and guess what it is still here and growing slowly but surely in japan and atleast it is going to stay alive in the west with remote play and tons of indie support . i can't say anything about wii u because i am very doubtful about that making any sort of comeback besides selling well during holidays and some noticeable bumps during big nintendo game releases. the ps4 has all the western support and the install base over there compared to the vita which did not have any big third party support. the tales games seem to be doing well in the west with namco bringing more of them to the west so they must be encouraged by ps4 sales so we are likely to see a ps4 game from them. mainline yakuza is very likely because the spin off doesn't seemed to have bombed at ps4 launch.

I mean are we seriously doubting a system with great western third party support and sales that is getiing mgs 5, ffxv, kingdom hearts and most likely yakuza, tales, resident evil in the next year or so? this isn't even counting unknowns in terms of sales like gravity daze 2( guessing vita/ps4 for this) deep down, lily bergamo, last guardian which might be a joke at this point but we know it is definitely happening at some point. Rant over...

I disagree to almost everything but for the major arguments:

Japanese comeback for 3DS and mini comeback for Vita weren't part of some well planned keikaku and this pattern doesn't apply to every system.

Vita and west: No one cares for the system, neither Sony. It can't be more dead.

Anime games tend to aim at a large audience. Aiming off the PS3 would probably be unwise.

Theres one coming for PS3 this year iirc.
Next one may be 2015 or even 2016 by which they should be on PS4.

Ehh, the last UNS3 game that came out on the PC already looks just like the anime, especially if you jack up that SSAA in the graphics options and play at 1080p or higher.

Here some screenshots from the PC thread of that game.

Nah, still not there. Lily Bergamo (at least the cutscenes look better than that). Need higher poly models and cleaner lines. Still its the closest I've seen.

L Thammy

I always thought that the anime fan base was more on the Playstation side since that One Piece game sold so much.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors likely attracted One Piece fans, Dynasty Warriors fans, and perhaps some lapsed Dynasty Warriors fans that need more novelty. Doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of Shonen Jump fans on the platform.

I'm pretty sure Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya are in Jump Ultimate Stars.

That's true of Ultimate Stars, but I specifically referred to Superstars. It does not feature those two series and makes a better comparison to the upcoming game. Similar number of characters and featured series.

sense

Japanese comeback for 3DS and mini comeback for Vita weren't part of some well planned keikaku and this pattern doesn't apply to every system.

Vita and west: No one cares for the system, neither Sony. It can't be more dead.

great explanation.... what exactly are you disagreeing with? that the ps4 is going to do well in year 2 and 3 and so on? that the system isn't going to get the mentioned big name games of which some are already announced? that 3rd party publishers aren't going to put any big games on a new system in the first year anymore? do you even have a prediction on how the system will do? it must be nice to throw blanket statements and saying someone is wrong without any kind of reasoning or basis.

of course none of this is planned but i am sure both companies know the reality of the situation which is unless you are coming out with 3 or 4 blockbuster games and a price less than 200 you are not going to be doing gangbusters for the first year or two in japan. 3ds, vita, wii u , ps4 and i will put my money down on 4ds or w.e the next system nintendo brings out is going to struggle the first year. i don't know about you but I see a pattern whether you want to agree or not.

no shit vita is struggling outside japan. i said it was going to stay alive in the west not have some sort of resurgence. more and more games are being localized from japan and being brought over to us and eu. ton of new indie games are being made simultaneously for vita and other platforms. publishers are making some sort of money that they see a business opportunity. so saying no one cares is a bit over the top. sony doesn't care? why the hell would they even release the vita slim in the west or make bundles and sign more games for the system if they didn't?

L Thammy

If you are arguing that console manufacturers release systems with the full awareness that they are going to flounder for the first year, than you are saying that it is part of their plan. They are aware of that it will happen, acting with that knowledge in mind, and yet are not moving to counter it. That's what you're saying.

It's likely true for the PS4 because Japan is not Sony's main target market. Not likely true with the 3DS and Vita.

Also, I'm guessing that when Chris says that he disagrees with all but your major arguments, he means that he disagreed with the second and third paragraph of your post.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
do you even have a prediction on how the system will do? it must be nice to throw blanket statements and saying someone is wrong without any kind of reasoning or basis.

I'm not gonna respond to a wall of text for things I've said many times but since you don't seem to follow the threads I've given a prediction for PS4 long before it was even launched in Japan.

"blanket statements", give me a break.

sense

If you are arguing that console manufacturers release systems with the full awareness that they are going to flounder for the first year, than you are saying that it is part of their plan. They are aware of that it will happen, acting with that knowledge in mind, and yet are not moving to counter it. That's what you're saying.

It's likely true for the PS4 because Japan is not Sony's main target market. Not likely true with the 3DS and Vita.

Also, I'm guessing that when Chris says that he disagrees with all but your major arguments, he means that he disagreed with the second and third paragraph of your post.

you are right. i should have worded that better then. it is part of their plan in the sense that they are going to put the system out there with a few decent games and hope that people latch on to the system earlier than expected whether that be due to the features or maybe a game turned out to be a surprise hit or on future promise . i do agree with ps4 though in that it was delayed because it was most likely not going to do well in that market with the price tag and the selection of games they had.

what exactly can they do to counter it? money hat a bunch of games? why should either company spend a ton of money just to get people to buy it in the first year itself? what is wrong with having a slow growth especially if you know games are going to come out on it in year 2 or 3, good games take time and developers need time to get used to the hardware before they can fully realize the potential and come out with games that take full advantage of them.

I'm not gonna respond to a wall of text for things I've said many times but since you don't seem to follow the threads I've given a prediction for PS4 long before it was even launched in Japan.

"blanket statements", give me a break.

selective answering. great. forgive me , your highness.. you obviously can't be bothered to have a conversation so no point in me going any further in this discussion.

Takao

Banned
One Piece: Pirate Warriors likely attracted One Piece fans, Dynasty Warriors fans, and perhaps some lapsed Dynasty Warriors fans that need more novelty. Doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of Shonen Jump fans on the platform.

What about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? PS3 has a handful of games based on JUMP series.

I don't think it's the choice of platforms that will hurt J-Stars so much as it is the game, and perhaps the roster.

Celine

maybe people need to realize new systems aren't going to do well in its initial years in japan atleast. this happened with the 3ds and then it took off in its second year. this happened with vita where it was presumed dead and never coming back and guess what it is still here and growing slowly but surely in japan and atleast it is going to stay alive in the west with remote play and tons of indie support .
3DS took off after the first price cut (a few months in), and before sales were still decent (just not good enough).

PSV is doing better in Japan but after 2 years and 3 months it's at 2,5M.
In the same timeframe PS3 was at 2,7M, PSP at 5M.
In US it's dead.

WiiU is in a bad situation both in Japan and US.

There isn't any magical comeback*, expectations changed for the worse or the best after the facts.

*unless it happens something along the lines of Pokemon or MHP2.

What about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? PS3 has a handful of games based on JUMP series.

I don't think it's the choice of platforms that will hurt J-Stars so much as it is the game, and perhaps the roster.

Yeah PS definitely has the largest anime userbase especially JUMP. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and DBZ (lol). That JUMP game looks like trash though.

RalchAC

It'll look better. Naruto anime is really unconsistent (some good looking parts, some are shit) due to lack of breaks between seasons. It's not really a high bar xD.

And yes, they should make the next for the PS4. This article show how most of its sales are from the West. (US+EU 1 million, JP between 100-150k.)

L Thammy

I'm not saying that the platform choice is bad - I honestly wouldn't know either way - but that believing so based on just Pirate Warriors isn't the best reasoning. I don't think that any One Piece game would do Pirate Warriors numbers just by being on the PS3.

Similarly, if I were to compare JoJo's legs to the DS Jump games and conclude that PS3 anime games have bad legs, it wouldn't be the smartest idea.

Yeah PS definitely has the largest anime userbase especially JUMP. Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and DBZ (lol). That JUMP game looks like trash though.

There's also a Sakigake!! Otokojuku game, I think it came out last month.

what exactly can they do to counter it? money hat a bunch of games? why should either company spend a ton of money just to get people to buy it in the first year itself? what is wrong with having a slow growth especially if you know games are going to come out on it in year 2 or 3, good games take time and developers need time to get used to the hardware before they can fully realize the potential and come out with games that take full advantage of them.

Reputation and perception of health is important. If potential consumers don't think that a system will do well, it may discourage them from buying one, since they aren't sure if the purchase will be justified. If publishers worry that they won't have a userbase to sell to, they may divert their resources elsewhere. Again, PS4 is targeting the West and we know that major titles will be hitting it because of that. That doesn't mean that it wasn't a genuine issue for the 3DS or the Vita.

Shengar

Translator's note: Keikaku means plan
Sorry, it had to be done

Well, Vita is dead in the west, but being a handheld system and Sony digital incentive for the platform makes it still profitable for many niche Japanese developers to release their games worldwide. Just don't expect another GTA __Stories situation.

L~A

Gibson leaking some Famitus numbers again :

Japan - PS4 sold 33k last week up from 29k the prior week on MGSV, Vita 37k, 3DS 35k, PS3 15k and WiiU 10k

Japan - MGSV: Ground Zeroes sold 151k on PS3, 100k on PS4, Sengoku Musou 4 sold 149k on PS3 and 44k in Vita.

Japan - #3 ranked title was Mario Party Island Tour for 3DS with 135k sold but shipped was 282k leaving 147k inventory on shelves

Konami also released Baseball Spirits 2014 which sold 70k on PS3, 31k on PSP, 29k on Vita.

Japan - note these game shipments are packaged only and hence dont include downloads. Konami was targeting 1.5m MGSV:GZ globally

Pooya

30k would be pretty good I'd say, don't think it will stay there over months of incoming drought though.

MGSV ps4 sales are good.

3DS successor when.

Mr Swine

Banned
Vita top seller this week?

I'll crack the champagne open now, that way I'll be too pissed to care if it turns out to be wrong.

Feels good, gotta tell ya.

This is really tiresome to read each media create thread, we get it, you love vita. But please stop spouting this each time vita outsells the 3DS or is close second

SmokyDave

This is really tiresome to read each media create thread, we get it, you love vita. But please stop spouting this each time vita outsells the 3DS or is close second
Are you telling me not to care about sales in a sales thread? Seriously?

Don't make me laugh.

I didn't even mention the fact that it's going to stay up YoY throughout March, against all expectations. Oops, I just did.

RpgN

Vita top seller this week?

I'll crack the champagne open now, that way I'll be too pissed to care if it turns out to be wrong.

Feels good, gotta tell ya.

If the leaked numbers are true, this would be crazy. I never expected this day would come.

I have been following the weekly sales casually but I don't really understand why the 3DS started to drop like this after Christmas time. What gives?

Mr Swine

Banned
you seem pressed

Haha no, I'm just tired that it's more or less the same poster that writes "Vita is the champion! It's up YoY while the other ones are dead in its track" kind of snarky comments. It would be fine if he simply said "good that vita sales are up!"

Dragon

Banned
I prefer SmokyDave's method of over the top crazy positivity over most of the doom and gloom in here :p.

Haha no, I'm just tired that it's more or less the same poster that writes "Vita is the champion! It's up YoY while the other ones are dead in its track" kind of snarky comments. It would be fine if he simply said "good that vita sales are up!"

What if the same poster uses an image of Iwata and Miyamoto printing money out of the 3DS? Come on now.

DaBoss

Didn't Mario Party 9 do shit relative to its shipment and then sell through out the year with some crazy legs? I imagine the same may happen with Mario Party 3DS. Any comparisons for that?

1.5 million by the end of the fiscal year? What is the time range for that?
I prefer SmokyDave's method of over the top crazy positivity over most of the doom and gloom in here :p.
If you can't face the reality of the situation, then sales threads aren't for you. :/

You must accept our new mobile overlords.

Road

Would stabilising at 30K be a good thing for the Ps4 at this point?

And Vita outsold the 3DS? hmmm

The PS4 staying at 30k per week would be the biggest miracle any god has ever operated.

But this should serve as an example that games sell systems, even when they are demos. The problem is the next PS4 game with a release date expected to sell 100k+ in a week is:

WiiU went up? Cool. Did it have any games released last week?

Nope. The new bundle will be released tomorrow.

But it seems all systems increased. Tsutaya mentioned people shopping before the tax hike (April 1st) was starting, so that might be a reason.

Wow, why are you so upset? I've seen others with similar post patterns every week. If it actually bothered me I'd just ignore them rather than throw a hissy fit.

Top Bottom