• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2014 (Mar 10 - Mar 16)

Road

Last week's sales bump is more likely related to spring holidays/graduation presents, etc. It's usually a decent couple of weeks thanks to that. This week will be the one we see the consumption tax effect going on.

I see. It seems March 21st was a holiday (Vernal Equinox Day).

Thanks.

To be honest, with an aging population, low birthrate, and generally high household savings (I think, haven't looked at figures in a while) Japan was due for a tax hike.

Remember when the PSP started outselling the DS per week in 2008? Yeah, the Vita is doing its best impression of its bigger brother. :p

Also are people seriously doubting Gibbo? He is always correct with his leaks, they are just from Famitsu and not Media Create.

Ratrat

Ive had a vita for 4 months and havent bought a single game for it. P+ is pretty awesome. You dont need to ever buy games for the thing.

prag16

Banned
It have the highest digital sales percentage among other gaming platform though.

That's believable, but aren't the other platforms less than 10% generally? So unless Vita is insanely higher than that, it doesn't explain shit.

PS+ like somebody said a few posts ago is probably a better explanation; I guess many (especially later adopters) are content to ride things out with the plus offerings, especially if they already have plus by virtue of being in the Sony ecosystem already with PS3/4.

Shengar

That's believable, but aren't the other platforms less than 10% generally? So unless Vita is insanely higher than that, it doesn't explain shit.

PS+ like somebody said a few posts ago is probably a better explanation; I guess many (especially later adopters) are content to ride things out with the plus offerings, especially if they already have plus by virtue of being in the Sony ecosystem already with PS3/4.

3DS 3-5%, PS3 5-7%, while Vita is about 10-12%. It doesn't explain shit, but we must take account that Vita owners might be bought digital-only title (if there are any in Japan). PS+ is plausible, but it isn't satisfactory explanation.

Xis

The 3DS install base is six times as large as the Vita's. That goes a long way to explaining why the Vita software sales are much weaker than those of the 3DS.

It'll look better. Naruto anime is really unconsistent (some good looking parts, some are shit) due to lack of breaks between seasons. It's not really a high bar xD.

And yes, they should make the next for the PS4. This article show how most of its sales are from the West. (US+EU 1 million, JP between 100-150k.)

Exactly. Also imagine if we get to the point where the naruto games look like a better anime than the naruto anime looool

PS4 bump was pretty pathetic tbh.

MGSV sales are much higher than I expected on PS4. 100k on PS4 wow thats a big ratio. Japan be embracing next gen much quicker than I would ever have expected. Hopefully encourages more cross gen games for a better transition.

PSV outsold 3DS. Well it was only a matter of time seeing how severe the decline was form the latter. Won't stay ahead obviously.

Also PS4 LTD at 470k. One more 30k week at it will meet the upper bound prediction from the Namco President iirc.

nampad

The past 4 weeks (including this week) PSV was roughly the same (1) or considerably down (3) YoY.

2014: ~37k | 28.761 | 30.709 | 21.460 |

2013: 37.883 | 36.431 | 63.581 | 62.543 |

Yes, because there was a price drop last year in March. The YTD numbers show that the Vita is up and it is the only platform to do so in Japan.

L~A

Media Create :

Vita – 35,374
PS4 – 30,201
3DS LL – 28,291
PS3 – 15,455
3DS – 11,985
Wii U – 9,982
PSP – 3,563
Vita TV – 1,754
Xbox 360 – 288

OK, no more champagne guys, the champion has fallen :p

Foshy

Huge week. 14 games out of the top 20 are new releases.

Vita(37904)
3DS(34828)
PS4(33341)
PS3(15030)
Wii U(9504)
PSP(2786)
Xbox 360(254)
Wii(134)

Ty4on

Looking at the software. .. What are people doing with their vitas? Is it really just for remote play?

Niche! The Vita has tons of smaller games. Even when you just look at retail it has good software sales:
Dengeki (retail) 2014

Vita software - 713194

Vita Hardware - 300405

Top 20/30 doesn't paint the full picture. For example, this week:

Vita software - 56,057

Funny how different the Vita and 3DS are software wise. The 3DS has some gigantic games that sell millions while smaller games usually do much better on the Vita which lacks any million sellers.

Top Bottom