• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2015 (Mar 09 - Mar 15)

Aki-at

Soon enough Yakuza will not be selling well anywhere, it seems.

Hey now.

There's always mobile.

I expect 10 billion sales.

(I actually recall the GREE Yakuza games doing fairly well for SEGA, wonder if they're going to reconsider it and start releasing mobile Yakuza games.)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Do you see the PS4 doing PS3 numbers, in fact after Dark Souls 2 what do you think the baseline will be?

With the release schedule from the end of April until September Sony must be happy if PS4 has an average close to 15k.

If there is total collapse after Golden Week the numbers will be lower.

Foshy

Can someone explain the doom and gloom over the Yakuza numbers? It opened higher than Ishin did last year, and they're both spinoffs (if I understood correctly), so where's the catch?

Oemenia

Banned
With the release schedule from the end of April until September Sony must be happy if PS4 has an average close to 15k.

If there is total collapse after Golden Week the numbers will be lower.
Hopefully a 15k baseline good enough to keep the PS4 in a healthy state. Given how Japanese developers are now much better prepared for HD developers, its sad to see Sony give up on the Vita when it could've been a good stepping stone for the PS4.

duckroll

Not a good result for Yakuza. It's a small improvement over Ishin, but still much lower than most of the series. I wonder what they'll be doing for next year, because this is two years in a row now with below average Yakuza results. Ishin could be excused for being an improvement over Kenzan, this this entry is a clear decline compared to all the other modern Yakuza games - including Of The End.

EOMD clearly has severe stock issues. I'm reminded of EO1's release all over again, lol.

DQH is on track to clear 800k LTD, could even outsell One Piece Musou. The DQ brand is very strong.

Eolz

even though PS4 isn't doing amazing, its doing good at the moment in japan, and considering how amazing its doing WW, you can why people are excited.

I can see why they are worldwide, and I don't think it's doing badly in Japan. People are just celebrating a bit too soon. It might get a bit bigger in the next weeks, and its new "stable" sales after this month will be interesting to watch.

Y0 : 261k
Y5 : 363k
Y3 : 356k
YDS : 306k
YK : 177k
YI : 215k

Definitely not in line with mainline entries but greater than the spin offs except DS. Honestly it being a prequel will effect sales but whats notable is that it doesn't even meet YDS. The PS3 base really suffered.

The PS4 numbers are actually alright for what it is, yeah. PS3 userbase might wait for pricecuts.

Can someone explain the doom and gloom over the Yakuza numbers? It opened higher than Ishin did last year, and they're both spinoffs (if I understood correctly), so where's the catch?

0 is in the game setting that sells usually better.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Yakuza 0 can't be more mainline entry for a spinoff.

Great PS4 numbers, amazing even.

I guess that you could say that considering the actual state of the japanese market.

Its pityful that 30k became amazing numbers.
4 years ago, some people would call that mediocre or fine.

Pretty much tells whats left for the market :/

Kyoufu

I guess that you could say that considering the actual state of the japanese market.

Its pityful that 30k became amazing numbers.
4 years ago, some people would call that mediocre or fine.

Pretty much tells whats left for the market :/

It's good given the fact that its lineup mostly consists of cross-gen games. In fact, its only notable exclusive is out next week. If PS4 had more Bloodborne caliber titles it'd surely perform better than it is currently.

The big question right now is how long this cross-gen trend continues.

As far as Yakuza goes, this series desperately needs a break as well as western exposure. If they don't at least try with the PS4 userbase in the west then they have no hope of this IP growing.

duckroll

One Piece Musou:
Week 1 - 655,774 / -
Week 2 - 90,133 / 745,907
Week 3 - 34,600 / 780,508

Dragon Quest Heroes:
Week 1 - 594,749 / -
Week 2 - 102,939 / 697,688
Week 3 - 48,192 / 745,880

From a gap of 60k to a gap of 35k, and it's closing every week.

Elios83

Good PS4 sales, Yakuza sadly has been milked to death just like COD or AC in the west, people are obviously getting bored with the usual formula. They should take their time and reinvent the formula making a better game on PS4. But of course that requires to take risks and I doubt that japanese developers and Sega are willing to do that at this point.

Takao

Banned
Expected more from Digimon (what's up with Famitsu vs. Media Create) but that's still solid. Hopefully lessened stock issues, good WOM and the anime do it some good.

07./00. [3DS] Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.03.12} (¥6.145) - 24.457 / NEW <80-100%>

Nice debut for Assassination Classroom. This game went unnoticed in these threads.

3DS also held nicely. Yakuza underperformed.

Isnt that the average most of these shonen action nonNaruto/OP animey games do on 3ds? Seems around 7taizai and Magi, I think?

It's good given the fact that its lineup mostly consists of cross-gen games. In fact, its only notable exclusive is out next week. If PS4 had more Bloodborne caliber titles it'd surely perform better than it is currently.

As far as Yakuza goes, this series desperately needs a break as well as western exposure. If they don't at least try with the PS4 userbase in the west then they have no hope of this IP growing.

Yakuza is unlikely to grow in the West due to it being on its 5/6th iteration. Honestly I expect Y6 to be the conclusion of Kiryu's story and then the team either making a new IP in a similar fashion or doing a franchise reboot.

Different devs will cross over at different times. You see SE already going next gen only and I expect Capcom/Konami to do the same for their big titles after 2015. I expect TK to continue cross gen the longest followed by NB.

Finalow

that's not really good for a mainline (it's a prequel of the first game, not a spinoff) Yakuza game.

dat digimon cyber sleuth though, I never really cared about digimons but this game for some reason always seemed quite interesting to me. will probably buy and play if/when it comes out here.

PSP:

CAN'T STOP
gS6JX2j.gif

WON'T STOP

Yeah I think this was the catch 22 of how Sony released the console over there. No install base so the big publishers wouldn't want to risk losing tons of $$$$ on an exclusive sent out to 400k people. So only able to get cross platform deals. I guess Sony didn't want to eat a ton of losses either on pure exclusives from first party teams, so there was nothing really ready to appeal to the Japanese crowd from Sony exclusively either.

Which is why I think FFXV is the moment when everything changes for the console in Japan. It will be an exclusive, it will be a massive hit that most everyone will want who is into the series and it is long anticipated. 2015 is all about building the userbase toward that moment, and it looks like software lineup they have enough to gain some momentum and up the userbase by a pretty good amount by the time FFXV hits.

Sony just has to market the shit out of the system over there and build the userbase off hype of the future as much as current titles, since as you said most are on the PS3 out of financial necessity.

SPAW

One Piece Musou:
Week 1 - 655,774 / -
Week 2 - 90,133 / 745,907
Week 3 - 34,600 / 780,508

Dragon Quest Heroes:
Week 1 - 594,749 / -
Week 2 - 102,939 / 697,688
Week 3 - 48,192 / 745,880

From a gap of 60k to a gap of 35k, and it's closing every week.

It will be really interesting to see how this title fares in western-markets (or other parts of Asia). Was the Wii-zelda-smash-buttons hyrule warriors well received commercially?

Aki-at

Yakuza is unlikely to grow in the West due to it being on its 5/6th iteration. Honestly I expect Y6 to be the conclusion of Kiryu's story and then the team either making a new IP in a similar fashion or doing a franchise reboot.

Different devs will cross over at different times. You see SE already going next gen only and I expect Capcom/Konami to do the same for their big titles after 2015. I expect TK to continue cross gen the longest followed by NB.

It depends on the IPs of course, a Japan exclusive series going exclusively to PS4/X1 now would be suicide. But say something that has worldwide appeal for SEGA, like Sonic, is probably going to enjoy the exclusive treatment. Ditto with stuff like Alien.

It's going to be interesting though if the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio will do a new IP, their name kind of implies otherwise : P

Kyoufu

You make a good point. Is Yakuza's time up?

It depends on the IPs of course, a Japan exclusive series going exclusively to PS4/X1 now would be suicide. But say something that has worldwide appeal for SEGA, like Sonic, is probably going to enjoy the exclusive treatment. Ditto with stuff like Alien.

It's going to be interesting though if the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio will do a new IP, their name kind of implies otherwise : P

Well what happened to the Sakura Wars team......they made SoA did they not and then went on to make VC.

If you look at it from a story point.....how much more is there really left in Kiryu's story?

Good to see the ps4 starting to come alive. It'll surely exceed the Wii U by the end of the year. It's sad to see it struggle so much despite having so many great games.

Will PS4's LTD ever catchup to Wii U's? Doesn't look likely.

Its not an if question.....its a question of when.

WiiU 2014 LTD : 620k
its down YoY so lets say it ends up with a 2015 LTD of 500k.

PS4 would need to sell 1.5 million in 2015 to outsell it before 2016 does. It should outsell WiiU during 2016.

eFKac

Will PS4's LTD ever catchup to Wii U's? Doesn't look likely.

Lol really?

Ot. Called the flat PS4 week and it's flat as it gets :)

Hopefully next week still above 30k.

What's up with the discrepancies between MC and Famitsu for Digimon and the PSP game?

Seeing how I'm not in Japan so have no idea how retail works there, I can't help but be very curious in the XB1 numbers. To have those kind of numbers, would have to think that very few shops even bother stacking the console, is that true? Retail is all about getting through stock, XB1 seeing less than a 1000 every week means that any shop stocking them is basically wasting space which could be kept for other products. This can't go on much longer can it, in terms of the console being discontinued in the country?

Perhaps MS is providing incentive but I don't know, it was always a lost cause but it's straight up funny now a console is managing those kind of numbers. On the flip side so happy to see DQ:H do well, do hope the next mainline entry is on consoles and this game was a way to build up a userbase. It most certainly cannot have been to test the waters, otherwise the next mainline DQ would be several years off.

Good to see the ps4 starting to come alive. It'll surely exceed the Wii U by the end of the year

PS4 vs. Wii U (not updated yet)
Code:
week 53 - 1,072,636  /  1,247,112    -174,476 
week 54 - 1,119,131  /  1,320,094    -200,963
week 55 - 1,152,077  /  1,439,253    -287,176

yes, it might happen considering Wii U's week 55 was the glorious 120k on winter 2013, from that point sales started struggling week after week

but I think 300k in 9 months are not prohibitive

but also it depends on PS4 Q3 and Q4

UPDATE : sorry I just saw "LTD" right now, 1,1mln in 9 months ? impossible

C-DubSP

Neo Member
No wonder Nintendo chose to make their big annoncements on their next hardware and the DENA partnership yesterday. The last market they still dominate is starting to show a little weakness.

Aki-at

Well what happened to the Sakura Wars team......they made SoA did they not and then went on to make VC.

If you look at it from a story point.....how much more is there really left in Kiryu's story?

Actually the development for Sakura Wars was done by two teams from my understanding.

Red Entertainment (They went on to make GunGrave with SEGA and a cancelled Trigun game) who have since been purchased by a Chinese company.

Overworks before they were Overworks, who went on to make Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles etc and are now a few major members are working on a mobile/PC/Vita title called The World End Eclipse. It's due for release this summer I believe.

I agree Kiryu's story is pretty much wrapped up. Infact I would say in terms of a narrative Yakuza 3 could have ended the series on a perfect note. But Yakuza is more of a soap opera than a serious story, he might as well be Batman at this point! I do think more than a reboot is needed, Japan's console userbase isn't going to be around for much longer and SEGA really needs to expand into the PC/Western market more aggressively with their Japanese development teams. It still boggles my mind Catherine, 3D Dot Heroes etc sold more than Yakuza did in America/Europe, that disastrous first release really killed the series for SEGA.

But with the team called Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios, I have my reservation if SEGA is going to look outside of Japan for them, they might just end up doing mobile games like the Mario & Sonic team is doing now I believe (They made Sonic Runners and Let's Make a Soccer... for mobile)

HARDWARE
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 | 33.826 | 33.753 | 29.677 | 286.593 | 439.810 | 1.257.260 |
| 3DS # | 32.088 | 33.950 | 34.144 | 561.583 | 587.238 | 18.400.028 |
| PSV # | 20.791 | 20.378 | 29.717 | 249.431 | 320.913 | 3.773.358 |
| PS3 | 7.221 | 7.645 | 14.128 | 91.641 | 165.467 | 10.260.632 |
| WIU | 7.054 | 7.379 | 7.654 | 104.256 | 141.296 | 2.247.836 |
| XB1 | 307 | 445 | | 5.246 | | 48.513 |

6WsmNFd.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Poor Vita can't even have its own gifs anymore :(

Honestly surprised people here think the PS4 won't catch the Wii U. Its honestly inevitability. Sony platforms last forever, I really don't think the Wii U will even be around in 2 years because if Nintendo drops support for it then there is nobody left supporting it.

Poor Vita can't even have its own gifs anymore :(

Honestly surprised people here think the PS4 won't catch the Wii U. Its honestly inevitability. Sony platforms last forever, I really don't think the Wii U will even be around in 2 years because if Nintendo drops support for it then there is nobody left supporting it.

I think the problem is that some are constraining their views to just this year. If you just look at that it is highly unlikely that they would reach the WiiU.

If you are putting Yakuza 0 on the same boat that a zombie shooting game and a samurai period swordfighting game, wow.

Yakuza 0 is as mainline as it gets.

Nah, it's a prequel. More important than spinoffs, but less important than the titles that push the story forward. It's interesting, but not a fundamental title for who played the numbered entries.

With digital I think that will beat RGG:OTE numbers in the long run (japanese gamers sure loves their zombies, but it had shorter legs compared to mainline titles. Ishin had longer legs, so Yakuza0 has more than a chance)

Top Bottom