• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2015 (Mar 09 - Mar 15)

GunBR

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/12/dragon-quest-xi-development-will-made-home-consoles/

EDIT: The only problem with this is that, for some reason I remember him saying he'd LIKE it to be on home consoles, rather than it is specifically being made for home consoles. But, still.

I still think that SE won't let the game be a home console exclusive (PS4 or PS4/PS3), even if Horii wants that.
They're pushing the PS4 because they know that FF XV will sell (way) better in the West. The same isn't happening with DQ XI

But I hope i'm wrong. Play an (offline) DQ again in a big screen would be incredible

Maybe they announced it, than the mobile service skyrocketed and now are waiting to understand how to properly manage it, in order to not cannibalize the sales.
I'm not saying that it will be mobile 100%, but I don't understand how people can rule mobile out for sure, betting everything on 3DS.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. DQM Super Light was announced in late 2013 and released in January 2014; the game already had 3m downloads in February 2014. DQM producer teased a new game in April 2014, when Super Light was already hugely popular. Also, in the mobile environment it doesn't make sense to develop a new game in a series that recently saw a new entry, since games are service and are constantly updated, for at least a year or so.

Furthermore, here's the quote of the producer:

Up until now, we’ve continued working on remakes, but this time it will be a completely new title. Please look forward to it.

The fact that he remarked they were working on a new game opposite to remakes really points to a new 3DS game. Super Light wasn't even considered in the context, though being essentially a new game in the series.

Sure but if we look at the platforms in the West at that time DS was doing incredibly well and PS3 was doing badly. Now the PS4 is doing incredibly well and the 3DS is waning. If SE wants to look at growth in the West then I can see why they want to put it on PS4. It will be a platform that receives notable jrpgs whilst also being one that is more popular and quickly growing.

PS3 was having FF and other SQEX games, though. 3DS has recently shown incredibly good numbers for jRPGs (see Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV). Again, you're not saying why PS4 should be the best choice for SQEX to put DQ for what concerns the West. Also, you're not considering the fact that Nintendo is probably willing to take some duties in distributing the game in Western markets unlike Sony.

Kyoufu

I don't really get the problem with DQXI on home consoles. PS3 and PS4 will have a sufficient install base for it to sell well. Why does it have to be on 3DS?

I don't really get the problem with DQXI on home consoles. PS3 and PS4 will have a sufficient install base for it to sell well. Why does it have to be on 3DS?

I think it's not a "problem". It's more discussing about which might be the best strategy for SQEX. If DQXI is going to be a traditional game à la DQVIII or DQIX, then there might be more pros on 3DS wrt PS4: Japanese installed base; proven success of the genre; support from the hw manufacturer.

Atram

There is no Problem, there will only be no compensation for the lost sales from Japan. A Main DQ will not grow bigger in the West because the PS4 is a real success.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

There is no "problem" - people are just arguing why and which platforms have been chosen. With DQ it makes sense, since 3DS is a natural fit for the games and has been successful the last couple years...hell they even tried to get DQX somehow playable on the system. They know the DQ fanbase owns a 3DS, so it makes sense discussion what they hope to achieve with abandon the ship ( if the game isnt also on 3DS).

But as said earlier, i am sure that the 3DS will get a mayor DQ release in 2016 which isnt DQ Monsters and doesnt have to be DQXI.

duckroll

Rumour of the day: Capcom working on a Monster Hunter game for PS4 and PC........... yeah, Monster Hunter Frontier. Looks like something for Korea (that's where the rumour comes from anyway).

The rumor is that Capcom Korea is developing Monster Hunter Frontier Online 2 for PC and PS4 on Unreal Engine 4. I think some of that is based on job listings and stuff in South Korea, but I can't read Korean so I can only tell what Japanese blogs are reporting. Apparently Capcom Korea has recruited a substantial number of ex-NCSoft staff, and they've been recruiting client/server programmers for "the next Monster Hunter project". The Korean rumor source also claims that MHFO2 is one of two projects Capcom Korea is working on at the moment. It is supposedly planned for release in 2016, and the only region it's definitely launching in is Japan.

crinale

Being on handhelds requires like 30-50% (I'm not sure about exact numbers) more copies to be sold to get same level of revenue compared to console version. It really depends on how much SE is interested in "number of copies" being sold.

Eolz

Rumour of the day: Capcom working on a Monster Hunter game for PS4 and PC........... yeah, Monster Hunter Frontier. Looks like something for Korea (that's where the rumour comes from anyway).

Interesting, if it true Capcom is in bed with Sony :p.

Lol.

The rumor is that Capcom Korea is developing Monster Hunter Frontier Online 2 for PC and PS4 on Unreal Engine 4. I think some of that is based on job listings and stuff in South Korea, but I can't read Korean so I can only tell what Japanese blogs are reporting. Apparently Capcom Korea has recruited a substantial number of ex-NCSoft staff, and they've been recruiting client/server programmers for "the next Monster Hunter project". The Korean rumor source also claims that MHFO2 is one of two projects Capcom Korea is working on at the moment. It is supposedly planned for release in 2016, and the only region it's definitely launching in is Japan.

Oh that's a different one. Wonder if that'll be more like MHO, Frontier with better graphics, or a complete revamp.

Being on handhelds requires like 30-50% (I'm not sure about exact numbers) more copies to be sold to get same level of revenue compared to console version. It really depends on how much SE is interested in "number of copies" being sold.

The thing is that a handheld game would cost significantly less to make (PS2-esque hardware, no voiceacting etc.) than a big-ass HD JRPG on the PS3....let alone PS4.

Revenue is only half of the story .

Hmm. Which company in japan would even have the manpower to make something as big as DQVIII in HD ?
....CyberConnect2 ?

This depends on the retail price, of course, but also on the royalties the hw manufacturer proposes; I guess that for having such a huge titles, there might be some bargaining.

Ultimately, it's important to consider the development costs. Developing on 3DS should be relatively cheaper than doing so on PS4, also considering that in order to be relevant in the West you should come out with top-notch graphics.

crinale

The thing is that a handheld game would cost significantly less to make (PS2-esque hardware, no voiceacting etc.) than a big-ass HD JRPG on the PS3....let alone PS4.

Revenue is only half of the story .

Hmm. Which company in japan would even have the manpower to make something as big as DQVIII in HD ?
....CyberConnect2 ?

This depends on the retail price, of course, but also on the royalties the hw manufacturer proposes; I guess that for having such a huge titles, there might be some bargaining.

Ultimately, it's important to consider the development costs. Developing on 3DS should be relatively cheaper than doing so on PS4, also considering that in order to be relevant in the West you should come out with top-notch graphics.

As for Dragon Quest I'm not so sure they'll put so much effort to make it graphical showcase. Ultimately anything other than graphical resources cost shouldn't differ whether the game is for console or handheld (texts, debugging, and importantly marketing cost should be equivalent).

As for Dragon Quest I'm not so sure they'll put so much effort to make it graphical showcase. Ultimately anything other than graphical resources cost shouldn't differ whether the game is for console or handheld (texts, debugging, and importantly marketing cost should be equivalent).

Nintendo took care of localization and distribution in Western markets of all recent DQ games that came over here, so marketing costs might be quite different.

crinale

Nintendo took care of localization and distribution in Western markets of all recent DQ games that came over here, so marketing costs might be quite different.

That is quite important factor to bring up I agree. If either Nintendo or Sony give any kind of deal like handling marketing and distribution the game sure will be on that platform at least (note that those kind of deal doesn't necessary guarantee exclusivity).

The question is, as for Dragon Quest will Nintendo handle marketting and localization like they were doing on NDS days? (I'm not saying Sony is doing it this time, just wondering).

test_account

XP-39C²
That is quite important factor to bring up I agree. If either Nintendo or Sony give any kind of deal like handling marketing and distribution the game sure will be on that platform at least (note that those kind of deal doesn't necessary guarantee exclusivity).

The question is, as for Dragon Quest will Nintendo handle marketting and localization like they were doing on NDS days? (I'm not saying Sony is doing it this time, just wondering).
I dont think anyone knows for sure (besides Nintendo, Sony and Square Enix of course). I dont think any of the Dragon Quest games this generation (also Dragon Quest X) have been released in the west, except those for iOS/Android and upcoming Dragon Quest Heroes (PS4 version).

Nintendo kept localizing games for third parties on 3DS: Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Professor Layton, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, Puzzle&Dragons. Iwata also stated that this year we will see more games under this strategy. So there are recent and relevant precedents at least.

Expectations are pretty different for home console games on brand new terebi consoles vs handheld games. 3DS games can get away with having the scope and look of a low-budget PS2 game (I mean this in a good way) and still sell but PS4 games can't.

Kyoufu

What was the last non-mobile DQ game to be localised here? It feels like it's been a while.

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 12 2015

01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom)
02./00. [PS4] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
03./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./01. [PS3] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega)
05./00. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 <ADV> (Capcom)
06./00. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
07./00. [PS3] Battlefield: Hardline <ACT> (Electronic Arts)

08./03. [PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
09./02. [PS4] Yakuza 0 <ADV> (Sega)
10./04. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix)

where is nintendo chart on Tsutaya ?

crinale

What was the last non-mobile DQ game to be localised here? It feels like it's been a while.

If you say non-mobile DQ then none were localized at gen8 (however it's worth noting that there weren't too many DQ games at this gen for localization to begin with :p)
IIRC DQ Heroes is the first one to get Western version.

MH5 on PS4
DQXI on PS4
FFXV on PS4
KH3 on PS4
Next Level 5 project on PS4
Disgaea 5 on PS4
Type 0 on PS4
Dragons Dogma Online on PS4

ahhh, this is going to be a great gen :p

hey, type 0 was never localized originally. So it was a brand new game for us western folk :p

And no, I have a strong hunch going on that MH5 will be announced for PS4. No actual info, just a hunch ..

or is it a strong hope? .... whatever

Alrus

hey, type 0 was never localized originally. So it was a brand new game for us western folk :p

And no, I have a strong hunch going on that MH5 will be announced for PS4. No actual info, just a hunch ..

or is it a strong hope? .... whatever

Sure, Capcom is going to announce their next game in their main money maker series as an exclusive for a console who doesn't have a single game over 500k yet. Just like DQ XI has a very low chance of being PS4 exclusive, the same is true for MH5.

Sure, Capcom is going to announce their next game in their main money maker series as an exclusive for a console who doesn't have a single game over 500k yet. Just like DQ XI has a very low chance of being PS4 exclusive, the same is true for MH5.

But being on PS4 will automatically grant over 4m units worldwide. After all, GE2:RB sold really well on that platform!

why does MH have to be exclusive to anything?

always found that weird

Alrus

why does MH have to be exclusive to anything?

always found that weird

Outside of avoiding userbase fragmentation for local play (which afaik is still the way it's mostly played in Japan), there's no reason for it to be exclusive (which is why MHF is on pretty much every platform). The main seller has been the handheld series though, and I don't think cross-play between handhelds of different manufacturers will ever be possible.

Honestly the most likely reason I doubt it'll ever be PS4 exclusive is because Capcom has been cheap as fuck with the series. Assets haven't been updated in a major way (besides animation) in ages and making the game PS4 exclusive would mean making brand new assets for everything. Considering it seems Capcom doesn't even have enough money to develop SF5 without outside financial help, I seriously doubt they're going to do that...

... Or it'll be like Tri and have a very very limited number of monsters and much less weapons than previous iterations.

crinale

As Capcom keeps failing at mobile front they'll become less and less ambitious. I highly doubt MH5 to be released anything other than 3DS (and yes they will ask Nintendo to help out for marketing and such, I guess).

As Capcom keeps failing at mobile front they'll become less and less ambitious. I highly doubt MH5 to be released anything other than 3DS (and yes they will ask Nintendo to help out for marketing and such, I guess).

Would it still only be on 3DS, if Nintendo's new handheld comes out then?

Eolz

Aww and here I thought there was a chance for FFVII

g47kuwkd7kyqdgwqfzt6.png

Wiggy

Regardless of which platforms MH, DQ, YW etc come to next, it looks like there will be a pretty equal amount of meltdowns and joy

Takao

Banned
If Monster Hunter Frontier 2 is for PS4, why would anyone think MH5 would come to that platform? Notice that MHFG was the last (and in some cases, sole) MH game that 360, PS3, Wii U and PSV received. Releasing MH5 on the same platform that gets MHF2 is a good way to ensure MHF2 makes less money.

From the NIS thread.

Disgaea 4 opened at 77k on PS3 in Japan. For the new game to debut <40k is a significant contraction. Who is going to make up the decline? I highly doubt the fifth entry in a $60 sprite-based SRPG franchise is going to do notably better on PS4 in the west than it did on PS3.

duckroll

The longer it takes for KanColle to come out, the more skeptical I am of it saving the Vita, lol

Wonder's what the reason for the delay. Is porting a DMM game a lot tougher than they were expecting?

I don't think it's a port so much as a complete remake of a F2P service based mobile title into a full priced retail title. Similar to how Puzzle and Dragons was adapted for the 3DS.

Takao

Banned
The cover of Role-Playing Gameside Vol. 2 claims the Medabots video game franchise has surpassed 3 million units in global sales. They're doing a big 21-page retrospective on the series, with staff interviews and other things, so those numbers are probably from Rocket Company. I imagine at least 95% of that is from Japan.

It looks like Marvelous expects Senran Kagura to die.

As for KanColle, given the quality of Kadokawa's other recent games, I think delaying it until it's not crap is better than releasing it in an unfinished state just to tie it to an anime.

crinale

The longer it takes for KanColle to come out, the more skeptical I am of it saving the Vita, lol

Wonder's what the reason for the delay. Is porting a DMM game a lot tougher than they were expecting?

They are making strategy game (well, sort of) instead it seems.

Eolz

Same opinion as Duckroll for Kancolle Vita

Or like any producer in this industry, he's working on other projects. If they expected SK to die, they wouldn't localize 2 in the west (you know, the game that bombed in Japan), make a marketing push for EV, and continue supporting New Wave (Marvelous Europe asked people last month if they'd be interested by a localization).

Huh, interesting about KanColle Vita then.

Wonder if we'll see more DMM adaptations of games to the Vita then if KanColle does well.

I imagine Touken Ranbu will probably get one considering how quickly the merchandise blitz it has received considering it only just came out about a few months ago.

Riposte

You would think Capcom with Monster Hunter would have the pull to create cross-platform local play. Like 3DS + Vita.

If Monster Hunter Frontier 2 is for PS4, why would anyone think MH5 would come to that platform? Notice that MHFG was the last (and in some cases, sole) MH game that 360, PS3, Wii U and PSV received. Releasing MH5 on the same platform that gets MHF2 is a good way to ensure MHF2 makes less money.

Disgaea 4 opened at 77k on PS3 in Japan. For the new game to debut <40k is a significant contraction. Who is going to make up the decline? I highly doubt the fifth entry in a $60 sprite-based SRPG franchise is going to do notably better on PS4 in the west than it did on PS3.

Was looking at Famitsu. 56k fw and 93k LTD.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. DQM Super Light was announced in late 2013 and released in January 2014; the game already had 3m downloads in February 2014. DQM producer teased a new game in April 2014, when Super Light was already hugely popular. Also, in the mobile environment it doesn't make sense to develop a new game in a series that recently saw a new entry, since games are service and are constantly updated, for at least a year or so.

Furthermore, here's the quote of the producer:

The fact that he remarked they were working on a new game opposite to remakes really points to a new 3DS game. Super Light wasn't even considered in the context, though being essentially a new game in the series.

PS3 was having FF and other SQEX games, though. 3DS has recently shown incredibly good numbers for jRPGs (see Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV). Again, you're not saying why PS4 should be the best choice for SQEX to put DQ for what concerns the West. Also, you're not considering the fact that Nintendo is probably willing to take some duties in distributing the game in Western markets unlike Sony.

You know this how? Let me just say you don't. Iirc SCE is publishing DQH in China.
I think there's little point talking about deals Sony/Nintendo make. They aren't exactly predictable let alone their details.

Top Bottom