• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2012 (Mar 19 - Mar 25)

Mercenaries 3D legs?
Revelaitons

Not quite there.

22./21. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090)

Nice it's having legs.
200k could be a sure lock for this game. Hope S-E will use the brand THEATRHYTHM for other series (Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts).

24./17. [3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D # <ADV> (Konami) {2012.03.08} (¥5.980)

Not bad at all. Konami should be happy to see such numbers for a crappy port released after the HD edition.

26./25. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles <ETC> (FuRyu) {2012.03.01} (¥5.229)

This is really surprising, even though Doraemon tended to sell nicely on DS (60k on average).

38./42. [WII] Go Vacation <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.10.20} (¥5.800)
50./50. [WII] Family Fishing # <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.08.04} (¥5.040)

Who expected such results?!

Bruno MB

[3DS] Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Konami) {2011-12-08} - 10,525

What went wrong here? That's a train wreck.

It seems this franchise can't catch a break on Nintendo platforms.

[3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) {2011-06-26} - 101,088

Well, Konami always sorts of gets out of it exactly what they put into it. Maybe if the Nintendo platform WEs weren't consistently launching late and getting basically zero promotion they'd sell a bit better?

It's really a shame given the Wii versions are easily the best ones. So weird how Konami puts in resources on the development end but not really after that.

Revelaitons

Not quite there.
Well least its closer to it than other comparisons

I agree, and it's on track with that.
I think that the holy trinity is confusing some people about "legs" or whatever we would call them.
Anyone who expected those legs are bonkers.

Everyone found out about that simple soccer game.

Nice it's having legs.
200k could be a sure lock for this game. Hope S-E will use the brand THEATRHYTHM for other series (Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts).
Improvements with each "sequel" with different brands each time would make it into a decent franchise. But SE will probably go with:

THEATRHYTHM: Dragon Quest
THEATRHYTHM: Final Fantasy 2/Plus/Extra/Final mix etc etc
THEATRHYTHM: Kingdom Hearts

I dunno, shits gonna be confusing if they decide to go that route.

They need to stop treating the Nintendo versions as some kind of bastard child. Releasing it months after PSP release doesn't help.

Lot of handheld WInning Eleven gamers would have already bought the PSP version.

Even in the west can you even find one website that has bothered reviewing the 2012 3DS version.

Improvements with each "sequel" with different brands each time would make it into a decent franchise. But SE will probably go with:

With the DLC affair, I think THEATRHYTHM FF will remain pretty unique.

December 2011 Releases (LTD up to 2012-01-01)

*snip all not PSV-related*

[PS3/PSV] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11-nin-me no Suspect (Chunsoft) {2011-12-17} - 85,362
[PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (SCE) {2011-12-17} - 78,575
[PSV] Army Corps of Hell (Square Enix) {2011-12-17} - 13,152
Just realized about this list. At first I thought it was a list of the top games released during that period, but it must not be. Otherwise there are plenty of Vita games between Army Corps of Hell and Hot Shots which we'd get new numbers for. Army Corps's week three total is lower than at least 7 launch Vita games' first weeks.

Its pretty amusing to see Pokemon x Nobunaga selling so well. Its practically two games slapped together, it doesn't even have its own name or subtitle.

Pokemon's franchise power at its finest.

With the DLC affair, I think THEATRHYTHM FF will remain pretty unique.
Forgot about the DLC, still, I doubt SE will pass on the opportunity to create sequels to TR:FF even if they stuck to unique versions.

Just realized about this list. At first I thought it was a list of the top games released during that period, but it must not be. Otherwise there are plenty of Vita games between Army Corps of Hell and Hot Shots which we'd get new numbers for. Army Corps's week three total is lower than at least 7 launch Vita games' first weeks.
I request you add the game title next to the game ID number on the right side list, it'd make it easier to tell what games what. Its something thats been bothering me for a long time.

Orgen

Theatrhythm since its a new IP and sold out.

It's still sold out? Really?

I think that the holy trinity is confusing some people about "legs" or whatever we would call them.

I don't know if you're refering to me but I'm not confused. There are legs like MH3G, MK7 and SML3D are showing right now and legs (more in the long run) like Nintendogs and Zelda OoT 3D (that's missing now too) are showing/showed. RE:R isn't going to achieve either.

Anyone who expected those legs are bonkers.

Don't make me search for all the post saying that the trifecta would turn into the quartet with RE:R :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, Konami always sorts of gets out of it exactly what they put into it. Maybe if the Nintendo platform WEs weren't consistently launching late and getting basically zero promotion they'd sell a bit better?

It's really a shame given the Wii versions are easily the best ones. So weird how Konami puts in resources on the development end but not really after that.

I'm wondering what would happen if Nintendo obtains to make Konami release Nintendo versions of the game at least on the same date of PS3 one. I'm talking about 3DS and Wii U versions...could something change, or would there be needed something much more drastic...such as exclusivity or at least temporaty exclusivity like PS3 right now?

Laguna

Banned
I'm wondering what would happen if Nintendo obtains to make Konami release Nintendo versions of the game at least on the same date of PS3 one. I'm talking about 3DS and Wii U versions...could something change, or would there be needed something much more drastic...such as exclusivity or at least temporaty exclusivity like PS3 right now?

It´s never bad to launch sports games before the season starts. Sales probably would be more healthy but in my opinion the Sony fanbase just is more into yearly rehashes, see Gundam, several Musou games, PES, re-releases with minimal added content etc..

Mpl90

It´s never bad to launch sports games before the season starts. Sales probably would be more healthy but in my opinion the Sony fanbase just is more into yearly rehashes, see Gundam, several Musou games, PES, re-releases with minimal added content etc..

Yes, because IES2012 Extreme has done very well despite being released in such a short span of time from the release of the original on PS...wait a second.

Wii U might just signal the end of the dedicated Playmaker team, and Nintendo gets the HD multiplatform version day and date. Or maybe Playmaker shifts to 3DS.

I think it's weird WE still hasn't been commited for Vita while 3DS has 2 (admittedly late) games under it's belt. Are the 3DS versions just PSP conversions?

Mpl90

Wii U might just signal the end of the dedicated Playmaker team, and Nintendo gets the HD multiplatform version day and date. Or maybe Playmaker shifts to 3DS.

I think it's weird WE still hasn't been commited for Vita while 3DS has 2 (admittedly late) games under it's belt. Are the 3DS versions just PSP conversions?

Eh, the launch one shouldn't be a conversion, 2012 shouldn't too, but I'm not entirely sure... But I'm sure that Vita version of 2013 will appear, just like Spirits.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's still sold out? Really?

I don't know if you're refering to me but I'm not confused. There are legs like MH3G, MK7 and SML3D are showing right now and legs (more in the long run) like Nintendogs and Zelda OoT 3D (that's missing now too) are showing/showed. RE:R isn't going to achieve either.
Don't make me search for all the post saying that the trifecta would turn into the quartet with RE:R :(

I wasn't referring to you, but to the posts you are referring to :D
I mean: me too I remember those posts claiming for RE:R becoming the fourth of the Holy quartet, and similar questions/hopes for other titles (Harvest Moon, maybe? For sure now Kid Icarus) and I don't understand them.

I mean: if those were hopes (because RER and KI are good games) I can understand them and also agree with them, but I don't think that RE:R has the chance or must have the same legs of those particular blockbusters.

Every game has different: target range, legs, demographic and so on...

I expect RER to continue selling outside the charts as Mercs did and easily reaching the 300k mark without being noticied (we will discover its 300+ LTD in some top100 chart and so on later in the year)

They need to stop treating the Nintendo versions as some kind of bastard child. Releasing it months after PSP release doesn't help.
Lot of handheld WInning Eleven gamers would have already bought the PSP version.
Even in the west can you even find one website that has bothered reviewing the 2012 3DS version.

I agree, but I would add also another point: there's no sense in releasing the second episode within few months. I mean: they release the first episode in the middle of the season, and after 7 months another episode...not so appealing, in my opinion...

they did this with the wii, and with the 3ds. both the wii 1st episode and the 3ds first epidode did well (not HUUUUGE, but well) and then: decline.

donny2112

So it's going to have a 10 year gap for an added 2K.

In reality, that probably means it sold 2K in Jan-2003 and nothing since. Famitsu stops tracking games after a while, which can sometimes lead to missing significant sales for very long-tail games. Then they just plop on the missing sales sometime later in a LTD update.

Datschge

Wouldn't be surprised if the dedicated Wii staff is really minuscule in numbers so Konami can afford keeping them while also explaining why all the ingenious Wii specific parts are still not fed into any other version.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

the first game is pretty poor in terms of features and i think that knocked a lot of people off the second version.

Plus it's market is elsewhere - i.e. on consoles and in arcades.

LOCK

I dunno, shits gonna be confusing if they decide to go that route.

I would so buy a THEATRHYTHM: Dragon Quest.

I request you add the game title next to the game ID number on the right side list, it'd make it easier to tell what games what. Its something thats been bothering me for a long time.
Two reasons the default group lines are this way:
1) Auto-created abbreviations wouldn't always be helpful, if they're still supposed to be short. Do it in the Resident Evil group, for instance, and not only will every single one start with RE, but there'd be a bunch of RE4 and RE5 listed, since releases for different platforms have the same name.
2) Since their main purpose is to sit on group pages, the numbers are listed along with the names in a table for reference, and adding text rows to the legend would cut in half the number of individual entries that could fit onto the image.

Still, shouldn't be a problem to make it an option, and since it's specifically been requested I'll give it a go.
LOCK said:
I would so buy a THEATRHYTHM: Dragon Quest.
They've had nearly a decade of company fusion and haven't really done anything like this, have they? I remember early on people speculated bout them doing linkable Dragon Quest Monsters and Final Fantasy Monsters, but each series' spinoffs have remained distinct.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They've had nearly a decade of company fusion and haven't really done anything like this, have they? I remember early on people speculated bout them doing linkable Dragon Quest Monsters and Final Fantasy Monsters, but each series' spinoffs have remained distinct.

The most they've done is crossing over the franchises in the Itadaki Street games.

Although I guess Theatrhythm isn't necessarily a Final Fantasy-related brand. It could become something else.

duckroll

Although I guess Theatrhythm isn't necessarily a Final Fantasy-related brand. It could become something else.

It is without a doubt a Final Fantasy related brand. It is conceived by 1st Production Department, and Nomura is the creative producer. There is no question about that whatsoever.

Still, shouldn't be a problem to make it an option, and since it's specifically been requested I'll give it a go.
OK, have some results to show. The standard way to create a line image for a whole group is
http://garaph.info/softwaregroupline.php//grid/S151
S151

but tack on /names/1 to the end and get

Works better for some groups than others. Something like Resident Evil, there end up being some really long ones that don't even make it within regular image height anyway.

If the height was greater, we'd see some stuff like RE5AEPMSP and GS2RECVP2tB.

Works decently for Mario Kart, though the way it turns the "words" DS and 64 into D and 6 shows that the abbreviation process might stand some tweaking.

Nekki

Whoa, everybody's eating popcorn waiting for Vita to break the 10k barrier... when i think it's more important to note it has only one game in the top 50. That just struck me a few moments ago when i was going over it :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It is without a doubt a Final Fantasy related brand. It is conceived by 1st Production Department, and Nomura is the creative producer. There is no question about that whatsoever.

What I mean is that they could easily expand the brand by creating something like Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, as suggested.

It's different from something like Dissidia, that's dependant on remarkable characters with distinct fighting styles - which is the focus of the Final Fantasy franchise, and not Dragon Quest's -, for example. Dissidia Dragon Quest would never work.

Whoa, everybody's eating popcorn waiting for Vita to break the 10k barrier... when i think it's more important to note it has only one game in the top 50. That just struck me a few moments ago when i was going over it :/

Yes. The software side is in far more trouble than the hardware side. And that's saying something.

zroid

Banned

True game sales are still a bit unclear due to the PSN model, so I don't worry about it too much.

Alrus

Yeah software sales are atrocious, that's quite worrying.

zroid

Banned
Even if we assume an unrealistic best case scenario where the DD sales account for half the total sales... It's still not good.

Yeah especially since Japan traditionally doesn't love digital marketplaces, but I still feel like unless we definitively know the whole picture, it's difficult to weigh the situation properly.

Thanks Josh, what you've done is better than what we've had, at least there's some kinda reference, as opposed to before where you had no idea which games which. I'm sure you'll perfect it eventually.

donny2112

Yes. The software side is in far more trouble than the hardware side. And that's saying something.

But with software, we have a game like Gravity Daze probably selling > 35% of its retail sales in the digital space indicating likely higher digital sales overall (though we still are unable to generally quantify them). Therefore the actual software situation could be appreciably better than we see in the charts (though still awful overall in their own right). However, there are no digital hardware sales, so what we see for hardware really is as horrible as it seems.

zroid

Banned
bit of a tangent here, but the UK charts for the week ending 03/24 have popped up and Kid Icarus has found its way into spot #7. Not too bad for a western debut.

In sadder news, Operation Raccoon City is #2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
bit of a tangent here, but the UK charts for the week ending 03/24 have popped up and Kid Icarus has found its way into spot #7. Not too bad for a western debut.

In sadder news, Operation Raccoon City is #2.

To put this in perspective: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36461653&postcount=90

BKK said:
01 (01) [360] Fifa Street (Electronic Arts) - <41k
02 (02) [PS3] Fifa Street (Electronic Arts) - <31k
03 (NE) [360] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Capcom) - <29k
04 (03) [360] Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts) - <19k
05 (NE) [PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Capcom)
06 (NE) [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo) - <6.7k
07 (04) [PS3] Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts)
08 (05) [WII] Mario Party 9 (Nintendo) - <5.1k
09 (16) [360] Fifa 12 (Electronic Arts) - <5.0k
10 (NE) [PCD] Shogun 2: Total War Fall Of The Samurai (Sega)

A big debut is usually 100-150K, with the biggest being ~2 million.

What's going on in this thread...
04./00. [PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.03.22} (¥4.990) - 43.791 / NEW
05./00. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden 3 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.03.22} (¥8.190) - 29.797 / NEW
LOL

Top Bottom