• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Zedark

Well it is Mario kart probably the Wii u's strongest system seller outside maybe New Super Mario brothers U
Yeah, in a similar degree to GTAV, MK8 seemingly isn't hampered by the detail that it is not an original game but a remaster. I expect it to do really, really well, both at launch and over time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
For a game like Mario Kart, theres a lot more money in doing a new entry rather than release a few packs of DLC. Its also easier to market and hype a brand new game than "just" addons. It feels more fresh, like a brand new game (which is is).

At the same time it's a series that thrives with just one entry per system, since everyone is buying and playing the same game. Mario Kart 9 wouldn't be able to stack up to MK8D in terms of content so they would have to change their approach for it to be worth it. I'm a bit surprised they haven't made a Mario Kart that provides a GaaS model though, maybe they'll try that if MK9 is really coming after MK8D instead of DLC.

duckroll

Yeah, in a similar degree to GTAV, MK8 seemingly isn't hampered by the detail that it is not an original game but a remaster. I expect it to do really, really well, both at launch and over time.

But GTAV is selling like a really strong remaster. Thr majority of sales are budget sales right? Very impressive long tail, but initially it still sold less than the PS3 game because it is a rerelease.

Zedark

But GTAV is selling like a really strong remaster. Thr majority of sales are budget sales right? Very impressive long tail, but initially it still sold less than the PS3 game because it is a rerelease.

Yeah, you are right. I was looking at it from more of a WW perspective with my comment about GTAV, where the game on PS4/XB1 hardly ever goes on major sales (at least in the Netherlands, where it always is €60 except for the holiday sales where it drops to a generous €45-€50) and remains selling without those sales anyway (I would link a graph from ZhugeEx, but he seems to be somewhat of a dirty word around here). Still, I think Mario Kart can duplicate behaviour like that for Japan with this release, due to it being the new hot (for many) MK game on a system that is more coveted than its original platform.
I agree that MK8D should do really well. But that has more to do with how it was limited on the WiiU and the Switch seems much more popular right now. The comparison with GTAV isn't that useful imo.
True, it's more the combination of a great game with a large mainstream pull being capable of selling well (possibly better) on a new and very successful system (let's assume for the moment Switch will be, that's the standard assumption we always make when discussing sales potential for MK8D) that got me to make a (flawed, admittedly) comparison. Similiarities in the nature of sales do indeed kinda end there.

duckroll

I agree that MK8D should do really well. But that has more to do with how it was limited on the WiiU and the Switch seems much more popular right now. The comparison with GTAV isn't that useful imo.

jonno394

With regards to Mario Kart, how are people expecting it to do? Do people expect Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to sell more in its first year in Japan than MK8 LTD?

For reference, By the end of last year it had sold around 1.2m and MK7 2.6m.

Zedark

With regards to Mario Kart, how are people expecting it to do? Do people expect Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to sell more in its first year in Japan than MK8 LTD?

So, to compare this, here is the performance of Mario Kart 7 from its launch in December 2011 to somewhere in december 2012:
Famitsu Week 51 said:
21./21. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 13.703 / 1.862.169 (+66%)
In fact, even at the end of February MK7 had sold more than MK8 LTD:
Media Create Week 9 said:
06./08. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 18.945 / 1.546.212 (-9%)
So, MK8 did a lot worse LTD than MK7 in a few months. I think that the Switch version, due to being a version of a universally lauded MK game and being a well-selling system as of now (and I expect it to continue to be so), will sell much closer to MK7, and I think MK8D outselling MK8 LTD within a year is a distinct possibility.

I do expect MK8D sales to be (even) less front-loaded than MK7 since the Switch' install base is several times smaller than the 3DS' at the time of launch (3DS had 2.88 million system in the wild at launch, Switch won't nearly reach the 1 million mark at the launch of MK8D).

Branduil

1.2m would be pretty easily reachable in 1 year, I think.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's looking like Mario Kart is going to prove some people wrong.
What did they (who?) say that might end up being wrong?

At the same time it's a series that thrives with just one entry per system, since everyone is buying and playing the same game. Mario Kart 9 wouldn't be able to stack up to MK8D in terms of content so they would have to change their approach for it to be worth it. I'm a bit surprised they haven't made a Mario Kart that provides a GaaS model though, maybe they'll try that if MK9 is really coming after MK8D instead of DLC.
True, but things change. This is the first time we've seen a port of Mario Kart like this. Its also released very early in the system lifecycle. Whats GaaS?

random25

I feel like MK8D will exceed MK8 LTD within the year. Riding on the momentum of the Switch launch for the first year plus Mario Kart being ever so popular especially now in portable hardware will give it a pretty big boost that MK8 on the Wii U didn't enjoy. The only thing that will prevent it IMO is if not more than a million and a half Switch units get stocked in Japan for this year.

jj984jj

True, but things change. This is the first time we've seen a port of Mario Kart like this. Its also released very early in the system lifecycle. Whats GaaS?

Games as a Service. It's not usually used in a positive context but it's hard to believe Nintendo will release something that lives up to the content in MK8D anytime soon. They should definitely think about how they'll divide their online players if they do decide to make MK9. Jimquition did an episode about how Splatoon (and Witcher 3) shows how GaaS really should be provided. I think MK9 could be interesting if they try something to retain users by continuing to add value to it over time, and not just as paid DLC.

so japan gaf. last time I was in japan in january I noticed that people playing on 3DS or PSVita on the subway have diminished greatly. same with the general streetpass numbers i got.

did you spot people with switch on the train or subway yet? since its fairly big it would be hard to miss.

KtSlime

so japan gaf. last time I was in japan in january I noticed that people playing on 3DS or PSVita on the subway have diminished greatly. same with the general streetpass numbers i got.

did you spot people with switch on the train or subway yet? since its fairly big it would be hard to miss.

I have yet to see a Switch on my daily commute. Not many handhelds, but I leave for work early and return early (later than school, earlier than most salarymen). I haven't been taking my 3DS lately so I don't know how the street pass is. Last console I saw was Friday on my way home, they were playing momotaro no dentetsu.

test_account

XP-39C²
Games as a Service. It's not usually used in a positive context but it's hard to believe Nintendo will release something that lives up to the content in MK8D anytime soon. They should definitely think about how they'll divide their online players if they do decide to make MK9. Jimquition did an episode about how Splatoon (and Witcher 3) shows how GaaS really should be provided. I think MK9 could be interesting if they try something to retain users by continuing to add value to it over time, and not just as paid DLC.
Ah ok, i see. Maybe such model would work.

I dont think that MK needs to match MK8D content. Several of games get GOTY editions with DLC included, but i dont think most people are expecting the base game sequels to match that in terms of content.

Well, they said that the game won't sell since it's a WiiU "port". It won't move any sales since most of the buyers already bought it on WiiU.
When it comes to sales in Japan though?

Soichiro Morizumi and Koji Ishitina, both producer and director of Project X Zone left Monolith Soft a few days ago. I guess aiming the west with PxZ2 didn't work out as well as intended.
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/project-x-zone-director-soichiro-morizumi-leaves-monolith-soft
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/project-x-zone-co-producer-koji-ishitani-leaves-monolith-soft

Wondering if this means the end of the Bandai x Monolith Soft stuff with the two of them departing.

sphinx

the piano man
Soichiro Morizumi and Koji Ishitina, both producer and director of Project X Zone left Monolith Soft a few days ago. I guess aiming the west with PxZ2 didn't work out as well as intended.
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/project-x-zone-director-soichiro-morizumi-leaves-monolith-soft
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/project-x-zone-co-producer-koji-ishitani-leaves-monolith-soft

while great for fan service, both games where really bad. no wonder one of the parties wasn't happy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Finally, the last obstacles that allowed Disaster 2 from happening have been removed. Time for Raymond Bryce to shine again! /s

I'd seriously like a Disaster 2, though

duckroll

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! FINALLY! Hope they are happy at whatever developer they infect next, but whatever!

Finally, the last obstacles that allowed Disaster 2 from happening have been removed. Time for Raymond Bryce to shine again! /s

I have bad news for you... :(

jonno394

As someone who knows exactly nothing about what you are referring to, can you explain this a bit? Thanks :)

Mpl90

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! FINALLY! Hope they are happy at whatever developer they infect next, but whatever!

I have bad news for you... :(

Nooooooo :(

@jonno394 I'm referring to Disaster: Day of Crisis, a Wii game from 2008, released in Japan and Europe (not in US because Reggie). It was a very interesting, yet rough arcade-ish take on a survivor adventure, in which whatever ridiculous you may think about happens.

jonno394

Nooooooo :(

@jonno394 I'm referring to Disaster: Day of Crisis, a Wii game from 2008, released in Japan and Europe (not in US because Reggie). It was a very interesting, yet rough arcade-ish take on a survivor adventure, in which whatever ridiculous you may think about happens.

Oh no, I know about the game :) just don't get the "the last 2 obstacles stopping it" bit.

Eolz

duckroll

I don't believe it's due to PxZ2's "performance" tbh. Seems like they wanted out as well.

Maybe Monolithsoft has reached a point where they don't want to use company resources on extra projects like that, since they have to tackle bigger projects more frequently now.

CiSgFXPUkAEH7Ad.jpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 14, 2017 (Apr 3 - Apr 9)

new releases

{2017.04.05}
[PS4] Drawn to Death _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥2.277)

{2017.04.06}
[3DS] Kawaii Pet to Kurasou! Wan Nyan & Mini Mini Animal <SLG> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Kawaii Pet to Kurasou! Wan Nyan & Mini Mini Animal (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nippon Columbia) (¥4.800)
[PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥2.980)
[PS4] LEGO Worlds (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥2.980)
[PS4] Revenant Saga _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.000)
[PSV] Revenant Saga _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.000)
[PS3] Revenant Saga _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.000)
___

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 50k (average 45k)
02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild < 35k (average 30k)
03. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars < 25k (average 20k)

Mpl90

Oh no, I know about the game :) just don't get the "the last 2 obstacles stopping it" bit.

Ah no, that was just a joke: thinking that these departures would've allowed D2 to happen XD

Zedark

Edit: Nevermind, misread the corresponding week numbers.

Edit 2: Alright, back again with the correct numbers this time! So, we see from Chris' YSO predictions numbers that Zelda prediction are only slightly lower for next week (April 3 - April 9) than they were for the week for which this thread shows the results:
Week 14, 2017 (Apr 3 - Apr 9)

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 50k (average 45k)
02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild < 35k (average 30k)
03. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars < 25k (average 20k)
This is for the coming week, while the predictions below were for the week we have the results for in this thread:
Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

YSO predictions

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross < 200k (average 190k)
02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild < 40k (average 35k)
03. [NSW] 1-2-Switch < 25k (average 20k)
It seems the YSO prediction were spot on for week 12 results. The legs of Zelda seem to be quite good (as expected), and this prediction would go some way in supporting the news that a significant restock (close to as significant as week 12's restock) should happen for the coming week. Good stuff.

Sandfox

I dont think that MK needs to match MK8D content. Several of games get GOTY editions with DLC included, but i dont think most people are expecting the base game sequels to match that in terms of content.

When it comes to sales in Japan though?

Yeah, certain people were saying that it wouldn't be a system seller and perform poorly in the media create threads.

Datschge

Soichiro Morizumi and Koji Ishitina, both producer and director of Project X Zone left Monolith Soft a few days ago.
Looking through the credits it appears both of them worked at Banpresto before Monolith Soft. How did they end up at Monolith Soft to begin with? Namco had no link to Banpresto, the Bandai Namco merger only happened in 2005, but it seems they already moved over around that time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, certain people were saying that it wouldn't be a system seller and perform poorly in the media create threads.
How poorly is poorly? About being a system seller, i think its hard to measure that in the begining. The Switch has only sold like half a million units so far and is still going strong from week to week. I could see this happening even without Mario Kart 8 (mostly because of Splatoon 2), but Mario Kart 8 wont hurt though.

mao2

Looking through the credits it appears both of them worked at Banpresto before Monolith Soft. How did they end up at Monolith Soft to begin with? Namco had no link to Banpresto, the Bandai Namco merger only happened in 2005, but it seems they already moved over around that time.
According to Wikipedia, Soichiro Morizumi left Banpresto to join Monolith Soft after the release of Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation in 2002.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/森住惣一郎

sphinx

the piano man
according to MC, 3DS has sold 22.559.823 units LTD.

how many more millions do you guys think it can sell in whatever life it has left?

is going above 25 million when 2017 ends a given?

how many more millions do you guys think it can sell in whatever life it has left?

It sold just under 2 million last year. It has no chance of selling 2.5 million in the next 9 months. It will probably end the year a little under 24 million.

It'll end somewhere around 23.75 million I think. The DS did around 500k after the 3DS launched, but it was pretty spent at that point besides Pokemon Black and White 2 (which could be played on 3DS). I think the 3DS will do a little better than that as it still has some more games coming for it

Datschge

According to Wikipedia, Soichiro Morizumi left Banpresto to join Monolith Soft after the release of Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation in 2002.
Interesting coincidence after all. Good catch, thanks. I guess Monolith Soft initially seemed like a company focusing on big robots and only time showed Morizumi and Ishitani didn't really fit with what the rest of the company kept doing. *shrugs*

It'll end somewhere around 23.75 million I think. The DS did around 500k after the 3DS launched, but it was pretty spent at that point besides Pokemon Black and White 2 (which could be played on 3DS). I think the 3DS will do a little better than that as it still has some more games coming for it

There was litterally no reason to buy a DS after the 3ds launch and had its panic mode price cut, the 3ds was backward compatibile and not much more expensive, only an idiot would gave bought a DS in those times, the lack of back compat and the significant price difference shoyld see the 3ds to continue to have a healthy afterlife alongside switch for some time to come

Hellraider

I expect 3DS to have a great 2017. The console still has one the biggest releases inbound for (probably) this year. 1.5m YTD I believe is a given, so it will get close to 24m (well, if we consider >23.6 as close).

25m by 2017's end is impossible, but there is a small chance to crawl quite close to it when all is said and done depending on when the plug gets pulled.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
02./00. [3DS] Mario Sports Super Stars <SPT> (Nintendo)
03./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
05./00. [PS4] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
06./06. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./05. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
08./03. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./04. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
10./07. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./00. [PSV] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
12./08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
13./00. [PSV] Chaos;Child: Love Chu Chu!! (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.)
14./10. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
15./11. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
16./00. [PS4] Chaos;Child: Love Chu Chu!! (Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.)
17./09. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
18./00. [PSV] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
19./18. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
20./17. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

01./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 (10th Anniversary Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
02./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
04./11. [3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (Perfect Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
05./14. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment)
06./04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia <SLG> (Nintendo)
07./06. [NSW] Secret of Mana Collection <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./13. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
09./12. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
10./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 <RPG> (Atlus)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 239
  2. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars - 61
  3. [PS4] Musou Stars - 60
  4. [PS4] Blue Reflection - 50
  5. [PSV] Blue Reflection - 32
  6. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 32
  7. [PSV] Musou Stars - 29
  8. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 29
  9. [PS4] Blue Reflection [Premium Box]- 24
  10. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 22
  11. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 20
  12. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 18
  13. [PSV] Blue Reflection [Premium Box]- 13
  14. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 12
  15. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight - 11
  16. [PSV] Re: Zero - Death or Kiss (Limited Edition) - 11
  17. [PSV] Re: Zero - Death or Kiss - 11
  18. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 11
  19. [PS4] Re: Zero - Death or Kiss - 11
  20. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 10
Preorders
[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 118
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 72
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 66
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 42
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 21
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 16
[3DS] Famista Whatever - 13
[PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 11
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 11
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 10
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 10
[SWI] Ultra Street Fighter 2 - 9

Branduil

There was litterally no reason to buy a DS after the 3ds launch and had its panic mode price cut, the 3ds was backward compatibile and not much more expensive, only an idiot would gave bought a DS in those times, the lack of back compat and the significant price difference shoyld see the 3ds to continue to have a healthy afterlife alongside switch for some time to come

To be fair DS games look better on an original DS because of resolution scaling. But it's not like the average consumer would ever think of that, so...

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 13 2017

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
02./00. [PS4] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
03./00. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
04./00. [PS4] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
05./00. [PSV] Warriors Stars <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)

06./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PSV] Blue Reflection: Maboroshi ni Mau - Shoujo no Ken <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
08./03. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands <ADV> (Ubisoft)
09./05. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
10./06. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
11./08. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
12./04. [PSV] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
13./15. [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
14./07. [PS4] Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online: Millennium Twilight <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./09. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./00. [PSV] Re:Zero - Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Death or Kiss <ADV> (5pb.)
17./11. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
18./17. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
19./13. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
20./14. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)

jj984jj

Well Mario Kart doesn't do GOTY editions, so as you mentioned things change. Whether or not two entries on the same platform is a good change is the question. I doubt there's an easy yes or no answer there, and it becomes even harder to answer if MK8D is successful honestly. No doubt Nintendo needs it though, they needed something other than the unproven Arms before Splatoon 2 comes out.

I'm pretty much fine with this news, Morizumi games are more about style and fanservice than substance. Hope they find a better place for their type of games.

MTC100

Banned
It's looking like Mario Kart is going to prove some people wrong.

I always expected it to perform very well and it will push the switch like no other game this year. Both in Japan and also in the rest of the world. It will also be the first Handheld Mario Kart since 2011, it will hit very hard in Japan.

Top Bottom