• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2011 (Mar 28 - Apr 3)

TheUnknownForce said:
I personally feel that it will get better once Zelda comes out. The 3DS just needs one well-known Nintendo franchise to start getting people back to spending.

Maybe the price was just too high...how will Nintendo fix that without looking bad?

Pack ins.
Make a Pilotwings and SSF4 bundles.
Boom, success.

Alrus

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, probably not going to happen, I agree. I just hope it stabilizes soon. Seeing it drop week after week is not good.

I'm expecting it to drop steadily until may, when some new relatively interesting softwares come out. Then it'll go up a bit in june and in the summer, with a big surge in autumn (Mario Kart/Animal Crossing). We won't see anything truly impressive until christmas though :/

TheUnknownForce said:
I personally feel that it will get better once Zelda comes out. The 3DS just needs one well-known Nintendo franchise to start getting people back to spending.

Maybe the price was just too high...how will Nintendo fix that without looking bad?

Yeah, I'm thinking Nintendo looked at what happened to Wii and thought to themselves, we only charged $199 for this but should've charged more, as it would continue to fly off the shelves regardless. So, maybe, just maybe, they decided to launch the 3ds at $249, figuring that it would still sell in droves, despite the high price.

AniHawk

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, I'm thinking Nintendo looked at what happened to Wii and thought to themselves, we only charged $199 for this but should've charged more, as it would continue to fly off the shelves regardless. So, maybe, just maybe, they decided to launch the 3ds at $249, figuring that it would still sell in droves, despite the high price.
iwata explicitly stated this was the case. although it as in response to the excitement surrounding the system at e3 last year.

Eteric Rice

Suzzopher said:
Yeah I feel the same. Not sure I want to play Monster Hunter without a second stick anymore. Tri killed my interest in the PSP series. I've held off on Monster Hunter Portable 3 until the NGP for that very reason. I want a second stick.

Because of the touch screen they can probably set the L and R buttons as camera buttons. So it won't matter much.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eteric Rice said:
Because of the touch screen they can probably set the L and R buttons as camera buttons. So it won't matter much.
What? If anything you'd be able to use the touch screeen to move the camera, either as a virtual analog or with nice, big, on screen directional buttons, and maybe with a range of item/ammo hotbuttons on top of that so that you don't have to scroll through them every time you want to use another. I don't think this would be at all problematic, I don't exactly need FPS precision just to keep a monster in view. Recenter and touch control would be fine. The 3DS touchscreen can work OK without a stylus, right? On the other hand how would you block/sprint if not with the shoulder buttons? Such often mid-action functions wouldn't work well as touch buttons because you'd have to move your finger off the attack and dodge buttons to do them, so the shoulder buttons can't be switched. Crossplatform local/online 3DS/Wii Tri G would be sweet, make it happen Capcom.

Eteric Rice

Alextended said:
What? If anything you'd be able to use the touch screeen to move the camera, either as a virtual analog or with nice, big, on screen directional buttons, and maybe with a range of item/ammo hotbuttons on top of that so that you don't have to scroll through them every time you want to use another. I don't think this would be at all problematic, I don't exactly need FPS precision just to keep a monster in view. Recenter and touch control would be fine. The 3DS touchscreen can work OK without a stylus, right? On the other hand how would you block/sprint if not with the shoulder buttons? Such often mid-action functions wouldn't work well as touch buttons because you'd have to move your finger off the attack and dodge buttons to do them, so the shoulder buttons can't be switched. Crossplatform local/online 3DS/Wii Tri G would be sweet, make it happen Capcom.

I suppose they could.

Really, the camera only needs to look right and left. When I played Tri I don't remember looking up much.

Alrus

Eteric Rice said:
I suppose they could.

Really, the camera only needs to look right and left. When I played Tri I don't remember looking up much.

Water fights require every direction. Then again MHP3rd didn't have them...

Eteric Rice

Alrus said:
Water fights require every direction. Then again MHP3rd didn't have them...

True, but I really don't care for underwater fights.

Hell, I hate underwater stages in most, if not every game.

Alexios

Flying monsters need you to alternate level / up a lot also. The Qurupeco or whatever is the first beast that can fly may not take off all that much, and stay low when it does too, but later monsters like the Rathalos can spend annoyingly long amounts of time flying and attacking from above. Other monsters are so big that you look up just to see what move they're attempting too. Anyway, outside the camera controls themselves, the shoulder button functions are needed how they're used in previous games. You don't seem to have played MH much so there's not much to say beyond that.

Eteric Rice

Alextended said:
Flying monsters need you to alternate level / up a lot also. The Qurupecco or whatever is first may not take off all that much but later monsters can spend annoyingly long amounts of time flying. Anyway, outside the camera controls, the shoulder button functions are needed how they're used in previous games. You don't seem to have played MH much so there's not much to say beyond that.

I have, but not on the PSP. Played it on the Wii.

Alexios

Same difference. How would your sprint and dive without the shoulder buttons? B would be dive, sprint on the touch screen since it would no longer be on shoulder?

Eteric Rice

*shrugs*

Moving the camera around with the stylus might be a pain though. Kind of wish Nintendo had gone with a better touch screen.

Alexios

I never suggested to move it with the stylus, that totally wouldn't work. I thought I've seen people use the touch with their fingers to press buttons and things when checking out the 3DS, does that not actually work? Obviously it wouldn't be as accurate as the stylus but more than enough for MH depending on how it was implemented. It's not an FPS. Edit: wikipedia says 3DS has a resistive touch screen and such touch screens work with any object, including one's fingers.

Alexios

Boney said:
They won't do it, but there's a lot of fat that could be cut.
Tri streamlined controls in a few small but noticable ways, a couple more changes and then I don't think there's much if any room left without actually changing the gameplay.

You can do a lot of actions in the game with fairly simple controls, I think it's pretty efficiently designed at its core.

Tenbatsu

My idea was to use the gyro sensor for the camera panning, a very slight tilt to the left or right. However, 3D will have to be off if this is the case.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tenbatsu said:
My idea was to use the gyro sensor for the camera panning, a very slight tilt to the left or right. However, 3D will have to be off if this is the case.
If I had to turn the 3D off to play it on the 3DS, might as well save the money and play it on the PSP.

Alexios

Tenbatsu said:
That would be pretty decent too, might make swimming feel like Pilot Wings :p

I think touch would work fine also.

If I had to turn the 3D off to play it on the 3DS, might as well save the money and play it on the PSP.
It could just be an option. We're discussing potential sequels, PSP won't be supported forever and ever and ever and ever. At most I see it getting one more (3rd G) personally.

Brazil

Alextended said:
It could just be an option. We're discussing potential sequels, PSP won't be supported forever and ever and ever and ever. At most I see it getting one more (3rd G) personally.
I know. I'm just saying that from the perspective of a potential fan. Is buying a new handheld for the sequel really worth it when there's not much to differentiate it from the game I'm currently playing (as in, no 3D)?

That's not me, though. I'll buy a Saturn on eBay if they decide to release the next MH for it.

Alexios

Well a sequel would probably have a lot of all new monsters and areas and what not just like Tri, potentially online play like it also, other connectivity/social features, the return of improved water areas, etc. I think it could also look quite a bit nicer even if not as good as a full budget NGP game. Roughly Tri-level geometry with more modern lighting, shadows and other effects like better fog, sand, reflections, rain, water, possibly better textures thanks to the extra ram, would spruce it up very nicely without increasing budgets to next gen level (which stopped them from making it for the PS3 initially). Maybe they could stick another (ranged?) new weapon type like the switch axe also somewhere in there alongside felyne/cha-cha/farm and other mechanics improvements, expansions and additions as various titles in the series did. Ugh, I'll shut up now... Want.

Two consecutive weeks of PSP >50k, maybe SCEJ is supplying enough to meet demand (or at least closer to demand).

Wow at dengeki, they have Amagami PSP at 91k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 13. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09}
22. / 00. [3DS] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (Arc System Works) {2011.03.31} - 6.000 / NEW
23. / 18. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) {2008.04.10}
24. / 00. [PSP] Onechanbara Special (D3 Publisher) {2011.03.31}
25. / 27. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18}
26. / 24. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}
27. / 00. [360] Crysis 2 (Electronic Arts) {2011.04.01}
28. / 17. [NDS] Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars - Blue / Red (Bandai Namco) {2011.03.03}
29. / 00. [PSP] Clover no Kuni no Alice (Quinrose) {2011.03.31}
30. / 20. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
31. / 11. [PSP] Gakuen Hetalia Portable (Idea Factory) {2011.03.24}
32. / 23. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (w/ Remote Plus) (Nintendo) {2010.11.11}
33. / 21. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) {2010.12.16}
34. / 25. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
35. / 30. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
36. / 22. [NDS] Powerful Golf (Konami) {2011.03.17}
37. / 34. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3 (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.02}
38. / 26. [3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) {2011.02.26}
39. / 32. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
40. / 29. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
41. / 19. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.26}
42. / 28. [WII] Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) {2010.11.25}
43. / 36. [PS3] Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.02.24}
44. / 00. [3DS] The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts) {2011.04.01}
45. / 44. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS: Dororon! Battle With the Ghouls!! (Bandai Namco) {2010.07.01}
46. / 35. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Hudson) {2011.01.20}
47. / 16. [PSP] Cladun 2 (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.03.24}
48. / 37. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) {2011.02.10}
49. / 46. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31}
50. / 48. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) {2005.12.08}

PSP - 13
NDS - 10
WII - 10
3DS - 9
PS3 - 6
360 - 1
PS2 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |            
|  ALL  |   867.019 |   712.364 | 1.048.568 | 12.692.383 | 15.872.341 |       

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
An insane 96.1% Sell Through rate for Dragon quest monsters
It's the 4th highest sell-through we have for launches after Media Create started giving these numbers at 2006.

[NDS] Pokemon Diamond (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} - 820.047 / 820.047 / 97,12%
[PS3] MAG: Massive Action Game (SCE) {2010.01.28} - 19.139 / 19.139 / 96,17%
[NDS] Pokemon Pearl (Pokemon Co.) {2006.09.28} - 768.687 / 768.687 / 96,16%
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - Professional (Square Enix) {2011.03.31} - 163.008 / 163.008 / 96,12%

[Nintex]

Elios83 said:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43896/Nintendo-stock-on-the-fall

According to this article Nintendo's stock has been dropping considerably, 15% in over a month.
3DS has sold about half its initial shipment in Japan, this will have consequences on planned future shipments.
It will be interesting to see the whole worldwide picture when Nintendo announces their fiscal results in late April/early May.
Yeah it's not going so well right now. I believe they posted a loss last quarter as well, had something to do with exchange rates and all that but those problems haven't been solved yet and new issues are starting to pile up at an alarming rate.

Alrus

Tenbatsu said:

I would find that a bit inconvenient (a wrong move and your camera gets all fucked up), I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Honnestly the touch screen on the 3ds is sensitive enough to be used with your finger, that would work fine, and they could always bundle some cheap thumbstrap with it if they wanted... That's the only way I see it working on the 3ds, because clawing on it is pretty much impossible (or really inconvenient).

Then again if the sales don't pick up a bit I doubt capcom will go with the 3ds for MH...

Chris1964 said:
It's coming out every 2 years. 2011 is its year again.

[GBA] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team (Pokemon Co.) {2005.11.17}
[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (Pokemon Co.) {2005.11.17}

[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness (Pokemon Co.) {2007.09.13}

[NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Pokemon Co.) {2009.04.18}

2012 will have Pokemon Ranger and main Pokemon.
You forgot the WiiWare game. We'll get it this year in the west.

gkryhewy

Elios83 said:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43896/Nintendo-stock-on-the-fall

According to this article Nintendo's stock has been dropping considerably, 15% in over a month.
3DS has sold about half its initial shipment in Japan, this will have consequences on planned future shipments.
It will be interesting to see the whole worldwide picture when Nintendo announces their fiscal results in late April/early May.

We talked about this last night. Most of the decline is due to the broader situation in Japan (Sony, for example, is down about 14% over the last month, 17% since March 1st), but the 3DS' tepid performance to date isn't helping Nintendo specifically. Earnings targets will be missed.

Effect

gkryhewy said:
We talked about this last night. Most of the decline is due to the broader situation in Japan (Sony, for example, is down about 14% over the last month, 17% since March 1st), but the 3DS' tepid performance to date isn't helping Nintendo specifically. Earnings targets will be missed.

A question that might be asked is did Nintendo make a mistake by leaving the software field open to 3rd parties in regard to the Nintendo 3DS's launch? Would things have been better had they came out swinging at full power?

I think the situation in Japan would have caused them some trouble as that wasn't to be expected but I think things overall would be better for them. Is it wrong to assume that Zelda 64, Starfox 64, and Kid Icarus are all done and were done in time for launch?

Elios83

gkryhewy said:

Indeed I think that the impact of 3DS and Wii performance on the stock price will be seen only when they announce their fiscal results for the quarter and the forecast for the next fiscal year.

Effect said:
A question that might be asked is did Nintendo make a mistake by leaving the software field open to 3rd parties in regard to the Nintendo 3DS's launch? Would things have been better had they came out swinging at full power?

I think the situation in Japan would have caused them some trouble as that wasn't to be expected but I think things overall would be better for them. Is it wrong to assume that Zelda 64, Starfox 64, and Kid Icarus are all done and were done in time for launch?

I doubt that Kid Icarus is quite complete yet, but the two enhanced N64 ports probably could have been launch titles. OoT in particular would undoubtedly have ensured a stronger launch, but one can only speculate just how much of a long-term boost it would have had on sales.

lunchwithyuzo said:
You forgot the WiiWare game. We'll get it this year in the west.

No chance, that game came out almost 2 years ago. It just simply baffles the mind that Nintendo could pass on releasing that game, considering that it is by far the best selling Pokemon spinoff series!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the 3DS just yet. It's selling in line with the GBA and DS Lite and doesn't have the luxury of a holiday launch like what the DS had, so it should be expected to not start off as high. Unlike the DS however, the 3DS wont suffer a huge drought of games for its first 6 months of life so it should hold on better over the coming months.

sphinx

the piano man
Effect said:

the most likely scenario is that nintendo thought the product would sell itself in the first months which was more or less Sony's approach with the PS3 ( Successor to the best thing ever, blahblah ). I don't think there's any other explanation than that nintendo was careless and hoped for the best... which is never the way to go.

With the original DS nintendo felt it was their last chance to stay alive and relevant, PSP threatening their safe handheld haven brough wonderful things for us gamers.

This is nothing else but a sloppy, poor and above all, an extremely unexciting launch.

Software will come, holidays will come, price drops will come and everything will be alright but man, is the 3DS' launch the very definition of anti-hype.

3DS launch was decent sales wise, as was it's 2nd week. It's the weeks following that have been problematic. I don't think OOT at launch would've done much to change that, in fact I think Nintendo might be better off using it to spearhead a 2nd wave of desirable titles (Abyss, Mercenaries, etc) this summer.

kswiston

How much exactly do people expect Star Fox and Kid Icarus to sell? Maybe I am wrong, but both strike me as the kind of titles that should be happy selling 200-300k LTD.

The Zelda:OOT remake could be a million seller though. Not enough to life the 3DS to peak DS levels, but definitely better than what we have now. As for third parties, I suspect many of the larger franchises will wait a year or two until the 3DS has a decent userbase. I know the Layton series has been on decline, but dropping from Layton 4's 650k to an eventual 350-400k for Layton 5 is pretty major.

lunchwithyuzo said:
3DS launch was decent sales wise, as was it's 2nd week. It's the weeks following that have been problematic. I don't think OOT at launch would've done much to change that, in fact I think Nintendo might be better off using it to spearhead a 2nd wave of desirable titles (Abyss, Mercenaries, etc) this summer.

OOT will sell a lot better than Mercenaries and a Tales of the Abyss port. TotA will be a big success if it hits 300K. Not sure about mercenaries, but even if it is well done, I can't see it getting much higher. I think OOT is a lock for 500k, and 1M is not unthinkable.

As much as people try to insinuate otherwise, I think it is clear that a large portion of people buy Nintendo systems primarily for Nintendo games. Right now there is no reason for that crowd to own a 3DS.

Nuclear Muffin said:
No chance, that game came out almost 2 years ago. It just simply baffles the mind that Nintendo could pass on releasing that game, considering that it is by far the best selling Pokemon spinoff series!
I just figured they wanted to give Rumble more space, but it has been awhile. Weren't there some European trademarks or something last year that hinted at localization? I just can't imagine NOA skipping out on a Pokemon release, haven't we gotten everything since TCG2?

Brazil

kswiston said:
How much exactly do people expect Star Fox and Kid Icarus to sell? Maybe I am wrong, but both strike me as the kind of titles that should be happy selling 200-300k LTD.

The Zelda:OOT remake could be a million seller though. Not enough to life the 3DS to peak DS levels, but definitely better than what we have now. As for third parties, I suspect many of the larger franchises will wait a year or two until the 3DS has a decent userbase. I know the Layton series has been on decline, but dropping from Layton 4's 650k to an eventual 350-400k for Layton 5 is pretty major.

OOT will sell a lot better than Mercenaries and a Tales of the Abyss port. TotA will be a big success if it hits 300K. Not sure about mercenaries, but even if it is well done, I can't see it getting much higher. I think OOT is a lock for 500k, and 1M is not unthinkable.

As much as people try to insinuate otherwise, I think it is clear that a large portion of people buy Nintendo systems primarily for Nintendo games. Right now there is no reason for that crowd to own a 3DS.
That's saying a lot, man. The last Zelda game to break 1 million in Japan was... OoT.

Effect

I think I'm making a mistake with the 3DS software sales. I have to remember that this is a handheld. No one should be expecting console like software sales right? Publishers most certainly wouldn't?

Unless it's something like Pokemon but that's a massive outlier in the hand held space though right?

Xater

Effect said:
I think I'm making a mistake with the 3DS software sales. I have to remember that this is a handheld. No one should be expecting console like software sales right? Publishers most certainly wouldn't?

Unless it's something like Pokemon but that's a massive outlier in the hand held space though right?

In Japan handheld games outsell console titles all the time.

Brazil

Effect said:

Handheld games sales > console games sales in Japan.

Top Bottom