• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2012 (Mar 26 - Apr 01)

duckroll

BBS sold more than a million in Japan?

358 Days sold about that in the US, and over 500k in Japan. Since KH3D is tracking under Days in Japan, it would have to match and exceed that performance in the US for it to be considered at the very least a good choice of platform in terms of commercial success.

Peff

BBS sold more than a million in Japan?

Only KH2 did, but BbS came pretty close to it if you count Final Mix.

BbS did 225.000 first month on NPD, so it might not be that easy to match even for a much healthier system. We'll see.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 642,660
PSP+PSV(2012)=480,478

Looking ahead to Week 14, PSP did 35,834 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,166,876
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,268,938

Looking ahead to week 14, 3DS+DS did 49,845 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=1,809,536
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=1,749,416

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Kingdom Hearts starts slow, we'll see if it will drop or hang on.
Very good overall results for 3ds, both hardware wise and software wise with kid icarus, the holy trinity, but also M&S, Miku and HMoon still solid.
Good result also for Pokemonobunaga
Vita is alive!

Gaborn

Just set the bar low?

Seriously, this week the 360 had a bigger percentage bump than the Vita. a 2k bump doesn't represent a fix of the underlying problem - that Vita's sales are and remain unhealthy for a new system with the pedigree it has.

weeaboo

Hello Pacman

Jmuf7.png

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Vita soars high over the 10k margin this week, yet only shifts 1/10th as much as the 3DS.
Puts things in perspective.

Bruno MB

01./00. [3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 213.579 / NEW

It pains me to say that this is the first big flop the 3DS has. Way below the numbers of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days which only have two days of sales and barely over Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Square Enix won't be happy at all. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D is not allowed to underperform.

04./01. [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.03.22} (¥5.800) - 47.179 / 179.705 (-64%)

I'm not seeing any sign of legs yet.

06./02. [PSP] Black Panther 2: Yakuza Ashura Chapter <ADV> (Sega) {2012.03.22} (¥6.279) - 26.655 / 131.592 (-75%)

Good luck at clearing your shipment.

Mario007

3DS is proving the nintendo stereotype...RE and KH didn't do as good as they should have on the system. In fact eve KI didn't perform extra great. Kind of a bad sign for the system and games on it apart from Mario, Zelda and MH

Nibel

Kingdom Hearts seems disappointing.

But "Dat Trinity" is still in crazy mode. And I'm happy that Vita did better than under 10k!

Only KH2 did, but BbS came pretty close to it if you count Final Mix.

BbS did 225.000 first month on NPD, so it might not be that easy to match even for a much healthier system. We'll see.
BBS did just above 300k total in the US by the end of 2010, so it's sales fell off almost immediately.

salpa

Banned
lol @ people expecting a handheld with 5 million users to push software to the heights of a handheld that has 25 million.

Erethian

As expected userbase is a indeed a key factor for a series like Kingdom Hearts - hope it will at least have legs. Maybe the public is getting sick of all the spin-offs and games you have to play before KH3.

Don't know the reason, but I think we can at least factor in the notion that this isn't solely down to the hardware. It's not like 3DS is a struggling system or has poor genre representation, like the Wii had.

Will obviously need to wait a week or two to see whether it has a less front-loaded sales curve than previous titles, though.

Gaborn

3DS is proving the nintendo stereotype...RE and KH didn't do as good as they should have on the system. In fact eve KI didn't perform extra great. Kind of a bad sign for the system and games on it apart from Mario, Zelda and MH

Kid Icarus is for all practical purposes a new IP considering the time gap involved. As for RE and KH - it takes time to build a userbase and there are a ton of games out there people could be playing.

stilgar

It kinda does not fit with the tone of your comment, does it?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lol @ people expecting a handheld with 5 million users to push software to the heights of a handheld that has 25 million.

I'd imagine those five million are much more active with their system than the 25 million.

Otherwise, software sales would be breaking tons of records each year as the userbase grows larger and larger.

mclem

It's less that, more expecting it to push software to the heights *it has pushed software to before*.

jonno394

oh well, it seems like the consensus is Nintendo is once again doomed as KHDDD didn't sell mega amounts.

KH3d sold a number that is around 40% of the total vita install base.......I'm sure it would've sold more on the Vita.

ediot - :facepalm: (the first line is indeed sarcasm)

Kyoufu

oh well, it seems like the consensus is Nintendo is once again doomed as KHDDD didn't sell mega amounts.

KH3d sold a number that is around 40% of the total vita install base.......I'm sure it would've sold more on the Vita,

Defensive much? Nobody said it would sell more on Vita or that 3DS is doomed...

stilgar

KH3d sold a number that is around 40% of the total vita install base.......I'm sure it would've sold more on the Vita,

It's more S-E's trouble than Nintendo, really.

duckroll

Yes, that's exactly what people are saying. Right. If you don't want to participate in the discussion honestly and just want to misrepresent the discussion in poor faith, then you're not really welcome in threads like this.

The major difference now being that weakened Nintendo sales (3DS) are proving higher than PlayStation sales (Vita) for most 3rd party franchises. Musou, Tales, Ridge Racer; pretty much everything that traditionally sold better on PS platforms has been performing worse on Vita than on 3DS. I think this week's Pro Yakyuu Spirits is the first exception.

Mario007

It kinda does not fit with the tone of your comment, does it?

how so? KI didn't perform great and it can be considered a new IP and more of hardcore game. MH is pretty much the COD of Japan, though, seen more like a casual experience like we'd say COD is.

massoluk

Banned

KH I'll give, but both KI and RE are kinda expected.

People are saying they should have put in on PSP cause it would have sold more for less development cost (in Japan).

FoneBone

Good god, nobody at all is saying that Nintendo is doomed because of this. Come on.

Firemind

Maybe there wasn't enough advertising? It's kind of hard to judge whether it would have done better on another platform on the basis of sales of previous games.

jonno394

Defensive much? Nobody said it would sell more on Vita.

Nah, not defensive really, more people are just looking too much into things, and forgetting that KH3D lower than possible sales (yet still a large amount) are nothing compared to other woes in the charts (ie vita sales)

Am I reading this right? The 3DS sold 10 times more than the Vita this week?... Wow.

Also, how high did former Kingdom Hearts Games start out? Is it a vast underachiever.

Glad to see Monster Hunter doing so well, I hope that Capcom brings this one to Europe sooner rather than later.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wait, are poeple really expecting KH3DS to sell a million on a 5 million user base where only a fraction of said game fans have bought? Are you the same that expected Mh to sell 3 million?

Expected performance but still pretty bad. It's been a common theme with third party releases for 3DS, they're never disastrous but nothing's really done particularly good numbers when it comes to established series.

Dragon Quest Monsters will be the last big test for Square, methinks. They're probably already expecting Bravely Default to bomb.

Mario007

Kid Icarus is for all practical purposes a new IP considering the time gap involved. As for RE and KH - it takes time to build a userbase and there are a ton of games out there people could be playing.

KH has a pretty dedicated fanbase, though, and so does RE. These games were supposed to bring the core gamers to the Nintendo handheld. They were the first 'console-like experience on the go' that 3DS has to offer. They both failed, with KH more so than RE.

Look I want 3DS to succeed, I own one, but it's pretty obvious that most of those 5 million people seem to be interested in Mario rather than any of these more core gaming experiences.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Expected performance but still pretty bad. It's been a common theme with third party releases for 3DS, they're never disastrous but nothing's really done particularly good numbers when it comes to established series.

What? Come on. The KH number is disappointing, but this seems like an overreaction.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nice jump for 3DS, and glad to see Vita increase sales, even if it's just a tad. Oh, and Xbox 360 remains the PS2's bitch.

Wait, are poeple really expecting KH3DS to sell a million on a 5 million user base where only a fraction of said game fans have bought? Are you the same that expected Mh to sell 3 million?

People expect ridiculous numbers from everything even slightly popular now.

Spiegel

I think RE did pretty okay for a first serious handheld entry, and I suspect if Capcom follows it up with a solid sequel in a timely matter it could do even better.

I don't know, the game might not even reach 1M worldwide, at least not anytime soon. I wouldn't expect that performance to be good enough to guarantee a sequel.

duckroll

Didn't seem to stop KH games from legging it on PS2, GBA and DS.

Would you consider PSP a bad choice of platform for KH overall since BBS couldn't manage 1.5m US+Japan?

It's true, previous KH games had much better legs, especially on more mainstream platforms. Yes, I do consider the PSP a bad choice of platform for KH, because it is a huge international brand and the PSP was extremely limited outside of Japan in that aspect.

What I'm concerned about is that right now the 3DS looks like it might not have been a great choice either, and I'm not sure why that is that case. It should really have sold much more.

botty

Banned
I blame two things for the "small" opening sales of KH3D: A much smaller user base for 3DS, and also the fatigue the fans have had to deal with since COM... How many consoles have we had to purchase to get the "full" KH experience?

Top Bottom