• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2014 (Mar 24 - Mar 30)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the Smash gap is just going to further illustrate the problem Nintendo has with making the WiiU seem like an attractive unique platform. I mentioned this before back when Mario 3D World was coming out, and now it's looking worse than ever. Almost every major first party title with strong sales potential can be perceived as a "follow up" to a 3DS title, instead of something unique to the WiiU.

NSMB2 -> NSMBU

SMB3DL -> SMB3DW

MK7 -> MK8

With the 3DS being a very popular platform and the WiiU being an unpopular platform, the perception would only make more people think "Oh, if I have a 3DS I probably don't need to get a WiiU since the games are on the 3DS anyway." Whether that perception is fair or not is irrelevant, because if it has an impact on whether people want to buy the system, then the perception becomes a market reality.

With Smash being a huge title and one which actually has strong console appeal over portable, if they came out at the same time, it could have still been an advantage to the WiiU. But with potentially a half-year gap between the two, if the majority of fans in Japan get used to playing it on portables instead and enjoy it well enough, it's just going to hurt the WiiU more. No question about it.

Yeah I was actually complaining about this very thing back in September.

I feel the other notably painful part is that this relationship isn't even two directional, because the Wii U isn't getting major entries in franchises like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, but the 3DS's scope keep growing to include the big console games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Deep Down becomes that one game to make players in Japan to pick up PS4.
I see. I dont think he ment to say that it necessarily will be a big system seller, but that it could be a game that could be used to convince, or at least foremost show to people who might be interested in the first place to get a PS4 sooner or later , but maybe not right now because there arent that many games for it. Maybe Deep Down could make those people buy a PS4 sooner rather than later. That is my understanding of what he ment at least =)

Hard to say how much Deep Down will sell, or rather, how much selling power it will have.

Busaiku

I think Super Smash Bros for 3DS coming out could be better for Nintendo overall, since it gives 3DS more momentum into other titles, and helps bring it back into relevancy.
Even if Super Smash Bros for Wii U came out at the same time, they still can't change the fate of that system, so maximizing the 3DS audience is the better move, since it probably has a longer life.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah I was actually complaining about this very thing back in September.

I feel the other notably painful part is that this relationship isn't even two directional, because the Wii U isn't getting major entries in franchises like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, but the 3DS's scope keep growing to include the big console games.

Yeah that was going to be my follow up. 3DS is getting the home console franchises and maintaining the portability aspect.

Wii U is getting late versions of franchises and not getting the benefit of the big portable franchises.

Almost every major first party title with strong sales potential can be perceived as a "follow up" to a 3DS title, instead of something unique to the WiiU.

NSMB2 -> NSMBU

SMB3DL -> SMB3DW

MK7 -> MK8

With the 3DS being a very popular platform and the WiiU being an unpopular platform, the perception would only make more people think "Oh, if I have a 3DS I probably don't need to get a WiiU since the games are on the 3DS anyway." Whether that perception is fair or not is irrelevant, because if it has an impact on whether people want to buy the system, then the perception becomes a market reality.

With Smash being a huge title and one which actually has strong console appeal over portable, if they came out at the same time, it could have still been an advantage to the WiiU. But with potentially a half-year gap between the two, if the majority of fans in Japan get used to playing it on portables instead and enjoy it well enough, it's just going to hurt the WiiU more. No question about it.

I don't suppose this could be a purposeful attempt to transition Nintendo fans into the handheld space for all the traditional home console games could it?

I.E. if Nintendo was to only release a follow-up handheld console next generation or something of the sort

duckroll

Yeah that was going to be my follow up. 3DS is getting the home console franchises and maintaining the portability aspect.

Wii U is getting late versions of franchises and not getting the benefit of the big portable franchises.

I think there's another point to be made about this too - the failure of the WiiU to take off as a healthy platform seriously hurts some of Nintendo's efforts to develop more "core audience" console titles. Stuff like W101, Bayonetta 2, and X are basically being totally wasted in the market because they will be unable to find an audience. On a healthier system with more awareness, titles like that could have tapped into a growing userbase which might not previously have played this sort of titles from Nintendo, while also making it an easy decision for fans of those genres to pick up a WiiU.

The entire ecosystem is really being messed up as it is because the portable side of Nintendo gets richer, while the console side gets poorer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't suppose this could be a purposeful attempt to transition Nintendo fans into the handheld space for all the traditional home console games could it?

I.E. if Nintendo was to only release a follow-up handheld console next generation or something of the sort

Well with most companies I'd actually suspect that kind of behavior, but Nintendo is usually pretty stubborn, so I suspect it's more like "We didn't put these handheld games on the consoles because we felt they didn't make sense there." whereas the console games that are showing up on 3DS are "The 3DS is now powerful enough and has a good enough control scheme to play these types of games, so we're putting them on it."

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well with most companies I'd actually suspect that kind of behavior, but Nintendo is usually pretty stubborn, so I suspect it's more like "We didn't put these handheld games on the consoles because we felt they didn't make sense there." whereas the console games that are showing up on 3DS are "The 3DS is now powerful enough and has a good enough control scheme to play these types of games, so we're putting them on it."

Yeah I haven't gotten a sense of purposeful long term strategy from Nintendo in a while.

Oh, thanks. Hope it means the Vita is getting P5. I'm totally going to buy this game when it's released on PS3 but I'll totally double dip.

I don't get it. The 3DS doesn't need a system seller. The WiiU does. Still, they're releasing the game that could help to improve WiiU sales first on the 3DS. Will this game support 1 cartridge = 4 players on the handheld?

eh, I actually think this is Nintendo acknowledging the Wii U is finished and trying to maximize sales on the 3DS (which I think is probably the right call, all things considered)

and lol at the Nintendo fans thinking that an early 3DS release won't hurt the Wii U version though

edit: this dude is pissing me off, someone go and drill him for me (case in point of the above)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107503781&postcount=468

cafemomo

So between MK8 & Smash, there's what for the WiiU..... Musou?

I certainly do hope they at least attempt to keep the momentum going after MK8 leading up to Smash

man so 3ds smash is months earlier? I was pretty down on the wiiu version getting attention over the 3ds when i thought they were going to be simultaneous.

Tomohawk

Launching smash wii u in winter after 3ds, I think is a good sign we'll see nintendo bring out the successor next year with reveal some time in the first half of next year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The overreaction about the WiiU version being released a couple month later but still this winter ( as everyone expected) is quite astonishing. Sad to see and read. People will bitch for pages about all of Nintendos financial shortcomings, but still still are shocked when they treat the WiiU as they do.

There is no problem with the WiiU versions date, the 3DS version is just being released sooner than most of us expected. Having their biggest games on their strongest systems is really nothing to blame their for, after all the 3DS has to fight for its existence as well month for month looking at current sales.

catmincer

Considering i own a 3DS but not a Wii U i am happy it is coming out sooner rather than later. I haven't played smash since the cube version.

L~A

I guess than whenever Smash 3DS is launched in Japan is when the Nintendo will be released in that country. Yesterday's Direct just confirmed it for me.

Nintendo just announced that the 3DS version of Smash will be released first.

Nevermind. 3DS version summer 2014, Wii U Winter 2014

Oh boy

Bwahaha Nintendo what are you doing? You just took your biggest console system seller and made it a timed exclusive for 3DS. This just goes to a how how Nintendo have recognised the bomba that is their new console and would rather capitalise on the 3DS's install base.

cw_sasuke

Bwahaha Nintendo what are you doing? You just took your biggest console system seller and made it a timed exclusive for 3DS. This just goes to a how how Nintendo have recognised the bomba that is their new console and would rather capitalise on the 3DS's install base.

And this is bad while ? Not too mention that we`ve known about the 3DS version for 2 years now. We dont even know which version they started development first on, but its not far fetched to to think that they need more time for a HD home console Smash than for the 3DS version. Not too mention that it`ll do more for the system as a holiday title than in summer when system sales will be low anyway everywhere.

At this point Nintendo should cancel MK8 - it clearly doesnt make sense to release a game on the home console if they release a handheld reiteration before. Still dont know why they even bothered with MK Wii after the great sales for MKDS. Its all or nothing right ?

Sandfox

The Wii U isn't going to be "saved" by Smash Bros and if the 3DS version is done it would probably be more helpful to try and boost the falling 3DS sales over waiting for the Wii U version.

I'm curious to see how the Wii U version does because there's still going to be a demand to play Smash Bros on a console but I don't know how that's going to translate to sales.

Atram

I do not see any Problem in releasing the 3DS Version first and putting more effort in the WiiU Version.

This are two different Versions of the Same Game with different modes. Releasing both at the same day would hurt the WiiU much more than a winter 2014 release (and we expected it long ago that the game would release in winter.)

let's be honest here, this isn't even a bad idea at this point

Busaiku

Yeah, going from Super Smash Bros for 3DS to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Taiko will help it from falling further this year, and possibly allow Nintendo some time to get some new games out too (maybe that Tokyo EAD game?).
Whereas with Wii U, it would be a slight bump for Super Smash Bros for Wii U and then back to nothing for months.

L~A

I really don't understand why the 3DS version releasing first is a sign that Nintendo doesn't believe in the Wii U or anything (it's quite the opposite... they're going to spend even more time, and money making this version).

If they had released the Wii U version first, then what? Is anyone really believe that people not interested in the Wii U would go and say "oh damn, I don't wanna wait, I'm gonna spend 300 bucks on a brand new console for a game I can get on my 3DS a few months down the road!".

It was already known there'd be a 3DS version alongside the Wii U version, so any positive impact for Wii U sales by people who'd prefer the 3DS version (but who'd opt for the Wii U version because they didn't know there'd be a 3DS version later down the road) was lost to them back in 2011.

At least they're clear about it, not ambiguous.

I do not see any Problem in releasing the 3DS Version first and putting more effort in the WiiU Version.

This are two different Versions of the Same Game with different modes. Releasing both at the same day would hurt the WiiU much more than a winter 2014 release (and we expected it long ago that the game would release in winter.)

Its obvious. They just took away the WiiU's biggest system seller.

let's be honest here, this isn't even a bad idea at this point

For the WiiU it is. For Nintendo it is not.

And this is bad while ? Not too mention that we`ve known about the 3DS version for 2 years now. We dont even know which version they started development first on, but its not far fetched to to think that they need more time for a HD home console Smash than for the 3DS version. Not too mention that it`ll do more for the system as a holiday title than in summer when system sales will be low anyway everywhere.

At this point Nintendo should cancel MK8 - it clearly doesnt make sense to release a game on the home console if they release a handheld reiteration before. Still dont know why they even bothered with MK Wii after the great sales for MKDS. Its all or nothing right ?

Use your head why you think this is bad. Its pretty obvious.

The Wii U isn't going to be "saved" by Smash Bros and if the 3DS version is done it would probably be more helpful to try and boost the falling 3DS sales over waiting for the Wii U version.

I'm curious to see how the Wii U version does because there's still going to be a demand to play Smash Bros on a console but I don't know how that's going to translate to sales.

Sure but Smash would definitely sell systems, especially in Japan. Its just another strike against the already beaten WiiU. I reckon in the West the WiiU version will hold more respectably.

The posts on the top of the page have got me thinking along the same lines. There is very little point in owning a WiiU even if you like Nintendo games. 3DS has MK, NSMBU, 3D land and now Smash which can effectively be substitutes for their sequels.

Atram

I really don't understand why the 3DS version releasing first is a sign that Nintendo doesn't believe in the Wii U or anything (it's quite the opposite... they're going to spend even more time, and money making this version).

If they had released the Wii U version first, then what? Is anyone really believe that people not interested in the Wii U would go and say "oh damn, I don't wanna wait, I'm gonna spend 300 bucks on a brand new console for a game I can get on my 3DS a few months down the road!".

It was already known there'd be a 3DS version alongside the Wii U version, so any positive impact for Wii U sales by people who'd prefer the 3DS version (but who'd opt for the Wii U version because they didn't know there'd be a 3DS version later down the road) was lost to them back in 2011.

At least they're clear about it, not ambiguous.

I bet there will be some special promotion for 3DS SSB buyers when the WiiU version hit the Stores/eShop (like the MH3U promotions).

@Psycho, they took nothing away. Releasing both Games at the same time would hurt much more one of both Versions and its obvious that Smash WiiU will have more effort and different modes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The overreaction about the WiiU version being released a couple month later but still this winter ( as everyone expected) is quite astonishing. Sad to see and read. People will bitch for pages about all of Nintendos financial shortcomings, but still still are shocked when they treat the WiiU as they do.

There is no problem with the WiiU versions date, the 3DS version is just being released sooner than most of us expected. Having their biggest games on their strongest systems is really nothing to blame their for, after all the 3DS has to fight for its existence as well month for month looking at current sales.

I feel that "Hurr releasing Smash on 3DS bad!!111!!11!" is kind of a shallow boil down of my argument here.

I don't think any of these games in isolation are actually a problem, but rather that as a whole, Nintendo has managed to systematically strip down the unique selling points of the Wii U software wise and spread a fair amount of satisfaction capability to the 3DS instead.

Now, I do think this strengthens the 3DS, especially among the audience that still exists on it now that smartphones have pulled off most of the very casually oriented gamers. However, I do think this leaves a "this entry is good enough" effect with a lot of potential customers for the Wii U versions of the game, and the more similar a given entry is, the more I think that comes into play.

We're seeing a lot of Wii U iterations of popular series perform notably worse than their predecessors did. I don't think this is something that magically happens within a bubble, but is the result of it feeling less critical to buy these games (and their accompanying system) if you're already able to get entries in the series elsewhere.

We see this very argument appear whenever Nintendo is asked to put their games on smartphones. If mainline Pokemon is on the iPhone, who would buy it for 3DS? I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that we could see sales dampening from a series existing in a similar form on both a generally successful handheld device and an unsuccessful console platform. Software is what ultimately sells hardware, and the worse a software argument seems for a platform, the less incentive there is to buy it.

Similarly, the PSP's line-up from Sony ultimately had zero unique identity relative to their console line-up. There were neither unique IPs for the system nor were there unique takes on existing franchises that really set them apart from the console games in a way that was still highly appealing to fans of the series. When the Vita came out and third parties left for greener pastures, Sony was left with nothing to float the system, because anything they could throw at it was either an entirely unproven series launching with no install base or something fans could sit there and go "I'll just play the console versions instead." At this point, it's bad enough that it's highly questionable if Sony will release another handheld again.

Now, is it too late to really worry about the Wii U? You know, at this point, probably, but if they actually do intend to continue making home consoles, I don't think doing this kind of thing as a continuing strategy, especially in only one direction (Console -> Handheld transfer but no serious attempt at Handheld -> Console transfer), is very helpful to their long term ambitions.

Also generally it's considered polite to actually quote out the people you're frustrated with and then argue against their points instead of carpet blanket complaining about "people" and going "sad to see and read". It's hard to carry out a discussion if you don't identify who and what exactly you don't agree with and want to argue against.

I bet there will be some special promotion for 3DS SSB buyers when the WiiU version hit the Stores/eShop (like the MH3U promotions).

@Psycho, they took nothing away. Releasing both Games at the same time would hurt much more one of both Versions and its obvious that Smash WiiU will have more effort and different modes.

Dude just stop. The fact that there's even a 3DS SKU hurts the WiiU significantly. Now that its releasing earlier on a more popular console it will obviously be subtracting sales from the WiiU version. I would think that this much was obvious. Not everyone will double dip and we will see just how much a 3DS SKU effects sales.

This is a massive point against WiiU especially in JP since they love handhelds.

Mory Dunz

If the Wii U's single player mode is really good, a lot of 3DS people will double dip.

If the Wii U version came first, those people would definitely not double dip later for the 3DS version with Smash Run.

watershed

Banned
I'm filled with curiosity and anticipation of how Smash Bros 3ds is going to sell. One, it's a brand new Smash game, two, it's the first time the series has gone portable, three, it looks awesome and has online play. It should sell gangbusters but I wonder if the series will reach new sales heights?

I'm filled with curiosity and anticipation of how Smash Bros 3ds is going to sell. One, it's a brand new Smash game, two, it's the first time the series has gone portable, three, it looks awesome and has online play. It should sell gangbusters but I wonder if the series will reach new sales heights?

I doubt it
besides if you listen to some Nintendo fans, it should do worse than the Wii U version for....something

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm pretty optimistic about it generally, especially in the West where fighting games do better and things like online play features seem like a bigger draw.

That's not to say I don't think it will sell well in Japan mind, just that I think there's a lot more upside potential worldwide.

Outselling Smash Bros Brawl would be a pretty high bar, but I do think it could move quite a few million units.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Numbers so far this year clearly shows the 3DS needs something to give it a little boost in Japan.

As for the Wii U version.. at least they'll get the holiday boost for the sales (if it makes it to the holidays, I don't know what "Winter 2014" means any more)

RalchAC

eh, I actually think this is Nintendo acknowledging the Wii U is finished and trying to maximize sales on the 3DS (which I think is probably the right call, all things considered)

and lol at the Nintendo fans thinking that an early 3DS release won't hurt the Wii U version though

edit: this dude is pissing me off, someone go and drill him for me (case in point of the above)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107503781&postcount=468

Yes. This could be telling that Nintendo already knows the WiiU has failed and wants to earn as much money as they can with the 3DS until they release a new platform (2016?)

If the Wii U's single player mode is really good, a lot of 3DS people will double dip.

If the Wii U version came first, those people would definitely not double dip later for the 3DS version with Smash Run.

In Japan? I see quite a lot of people double dipping. SSB could be an amazing ad-hoc game. In the West there isn't that "handheld culture" so we probably wouldn't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, so going by the numbers on Nintendo's IR page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/index.html

Brawl: 11.49 Million

Top 3DS Games:
SM3DL: 8.29 million
MK7: 8.08 million
NSMB2: 6.42 million
ACNL: 3.86 million
Nintendogs: 3.28 million
Zelda: OOT: 2.95 million
Paper Mario: 1.97 million

Separate Announcement:
Pokemon X+Y: 12 million

I don't think 3-4 million is unreasonable for Smash 3DS. There is certainly upside potential on that, but almost nothing has went above that range without becoming a standardized pack-in for at least some portion of its life.

Of course, they could always make the game a standardized pack-in at some point given they don't seem to have much else announced.

extralite

of course it will have great leg. Its' free!
That's what I said. Making it free will give it great legs. You're not pointing something out to me by repeating what I said.

And people were underestimating Dragon's Dogma too in these threads. I correctly predicted that it would become the most successful new IP on PS3 (based on past Capcom new IPs like RE and Onimusha) but would not reach a million as did past such new Capcom IPs, because of the lower PS3 install base compared to PS2 and PS1.

Dragon's Dogma was also very late in the console's life cycle which was due to Capcom supporting X360 early in the cycle, because PS3 was late and expensive, both to the consumer and to develope for. But launching a new IP early in the life cycle works best because new console owners are looking for software to play so console and software can feed each other's sales.

Deep Down can capitalize on the building phase and can wow people with the new system's capabilities. Capcom have a great track record for establishing new IPs that way.

I'm also not saying how much the PS4 will sell this year (because I have no idea), just that from the titles announced so far for this year or already released, DD will be the most important system seller. And that it won't be front loaded but sell the console over time.

Deep Down becomes that one game to make players in Japan to pick up PS4.
It will be for some, and I say it will be more than those who bought a PS4 for the already released MGS and Yakuza.

Hm interesting. Out of curiosity, is the game making its money entirely out of ads? Or does it have lots of microtransactions (thus what you mention about "buying" above is with real money)?

You get 100 gems each day for logging in. You can buy more gems for real money. With these you can buy stuff like lottery tickets to win monster recruitment maps where you go straight to a boss and obtain it on its defeat. The current campaign ties in with DQIV and you can get Necrosaro (the game's last boss) from a lottery.

A ticket for this lottery is 300 gems (there are others that are cheaper and also ones that are paid with gold and support points instead which are earned in game). Of course the chances to actually get Necrosaro are low so some people might buy lots of gems to maximize their chances.

DQMSL has age controls restricting the amount of gems a user can buy for kids under a certain age.

I think the Smash gap is just going to further illustrate the problem Nintendo has with making the WiiU seem like an attractive unique platform. I mentioned this before back when Mario 3D World was coming out, and now it's looking worse than ever. Almost every major first party title with strong sales potential can be perceived as a "follow up" to a 3DS title, instead of something unique to the WiiU.

NSMB2 -> NSMBU

SMB3DL -> SMB3DW

MK7 -> MK8

What you're also showing here is that we have a very consistent strategy from Nintendo so opposed to your evaluation of it I'm guessing they're satisfied with the results (or still believing it will increase in effect). Enix has used the same for DQM (3DS) to DQX (Wii) and DQVII (3DS) to DQX (Wii U). Basically they're building hype by releasing a title on a platform with a huge install base and then release a similar title on the platform that still needs to be expanded.

Since most people in these threads agree that consoles can never live up again to the success portables are claiming now, haven't sales for these titles actually been pretty good? Maybe Wii U would do even worse if it weren't for these 3DS tie in games.

Another things is, winter is the right time to release a Wii U title. Holidays are where Nintendo can maximize console sales. And the graphical gap between the 3DS and Wii U versions is huge. The sales point of the Wii U should be the superior hardware; with DQX people were commenting that it wasn't actually that much of an improvement over the Wii version (and accordingly not that many upgraded even though half of the active console player base is now on U). Smash on the other hand impressively proves that Wii U offers superior graphics.

The 3DS version will both hurt and benefit the Wii U version. But if it were only on Wii U, sales would also take a hit because of weak Wii U performance (which was somewhat expected because of the Japanese console situation). This release strategy can benefit sales on both systems and grow Wii U install base long term.

cw_sasuke

I feel that "Hurr releasing Smash on 3DS bad!!111!!11!" is kind of a shallow boil down of my argument here.

I don't think any of these games in isolation are actually a problem, but rather that as a whole, Nintendo has managed to systematically strip down the unique selling points of the Wii U software wise and spread a fair amount of satisfaction capability to the 3DS instead.

Now, I do think this strengthens the 3DS, especially among the audience that still exists on it now that smartphones have pulled off most of the very casually oriented gamers. However, I do think this leaves a "this entry is good enough" effect with a lot of potential customers for the Wii U versions of the game, and the more similar a given entry is, the more I think that comes into play.

We're seeing a lot of Wii U iterations of popular series perform notably worse than their predecessors did. I don't think this is something that magically happens within a bubble, but is the result of it feeling less critical to buy these games (and their accompanying system) if you're already able to get entries in the series elsewhere.

We see this very argument appear whenever Nintendo is asked to put their games on smartphones. If mainline Pokemon is on the iPhone, who would buy it for 3DS? I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that we could see sales dampening from a series existing in a similar form on both a generally successful handheld device and an unsuccessful console platform. Software is what ultimately sells hardware, and the worse a software argument seems for a platform, the less incentive there is to buy it.

Similarly, the PSP's line-up from Sony ultimately had zero unique identity relative to their console line-up. There were neither unique IPs for the system nor were there unique takes on existing franchises that really set them apart from the console games in a way that was still highly appealing to fans of the series. When the Vita came out and third parties left for greener pastures, Sony was left with nothing to float the system, because anything they could throw at it was either an entirely unproven series launching with no install base or something fans could sit there and go "I'll just play the console versions instead." At this point, it's bad enough that it's highly questionable if Sony will release another handheld again.

Now, is it too late to really worry about the Wii U? You know, at this point, probably, but if they actually do intend to continue making home consoles, I don't think doing this kind of thing as a continuing strategy, especially in only one direction (Console -> Handheld transfer but no serious attempt at Handheld -> Console transfer), is very helpful to their long term ambitions.

Dont get me wrong i get that. The situation for the Wii U and its software output is a disaster. They screwed up big time years ago with the titles that got greenlit and they mismanaged the support they would get from 3rd parties.

Smash on WiiU could have been released in two weeks for 2k Yen and it still wouldn't change the outcome of the system more than it is with a later release of the 3DS version.
I feel like im reading many unrealistic expectations from people wanting the WiiU to get a better treatment just for the sake of it This is business and at this point its all about covering their asses for Nintendo till they can get the next home-console out and somewhat please their shareholders. Their is a reason why nobody would be surprised if WiiU games like SMT x Fire Emblem end up on 3DS instead or 3DS DKCR port has no trouble outselling the brand new WiiU version.

You also could argue that many of the 50 million 3DS owners who will be able to experience Smash Bros. 3DS first, might end up picking the WiiU and this version as well at a later point. Isnt this the argument of why Nintendo should put its content on Smartphones/tablets ? Getting a way bigger userbase to play the game and convert some of them to potential buyers of their dedicated gaming devices. Getting the 3DS userbase to "upgrade" or at least considering the WiiU seems to be the goal now, which is also supported by handheld titles hitting the WiiU VC. Especially when it comes to younger customers, the 3DS is where its at right now and they cant really afford having them to miss a big part of their consumers by going exclusive on their bomba system with such a title.

With multiplayer heavy titles like Mario Kart and Smash the home-console version still will have its pull. No it wont set the world on fire, but i doubt this would be the case even if there wasnt a 3DS version. Would NSMB U would have sold way better without a NSMB 2 on 3DS ? I really doubt it. 3DS and WiiU version are different games and i dont see the 3DS as a substitute for people who want to play a better looking Smash on the big screen with their friends.

Their overall software strategies failed to highlight the unique Wii U features and the system is struggling to find an identity. Expected games that hit every home-console like Mario Kart or Smash wont change this situation. When you look at their current situation and the short-term to midterm goals the Smash release makes sense. In the last years, while other publisher have been focusing on their big fall titles, Nintendo has been using the spot to launch their bigger handheld games like NSMB2 or Animal Crossing New Leaf because their position in the handheld market allows it.

If we examine the Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU release in a vacuum without the prior shortcomings and screw-ups concerning the WiiU system. Which release pattern would benefit Nintendo and gamers more ? Am i right thinking that a Holiday release for the WiiU version and the 3DS version for 2015 would have solved most complains we are having right now ? It definitely feels that way.

Also generally it's considered polite to actually quote out the people you're frustrated with and then argue against their points instead of carpet blanket complaining about "people" and going "sad to see and read". It's hard to carry out a discussion if you don't identify who and what exactly you don't agree with and want to argue against.

True, i will try to keep that in mind for future discussion.

watershed

Banned
All right, so going by the numbers on Nintendo's IR page: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/index.html

Brawl: 11.49 Million

I don't think 3-4 million is unreasonable for Smash 3DS. There is certainly upside potential on that, but almost nothing has went above that range without becoming a standardized pack-in for at least some portion of its life.

Of course, they could always make the game a standardized pack-in at some point given they don't seem to have much else announced.

Since I'm digging Smash 3ds a lot more than I did Brawl, I hope this game manages to top 11.5 mil somehow even though it looks unlikely. Hopefully the advantages of being on a portable, being cheaper, having better online play, and just (hopefully) being a better game will make the difference. If the 3ds gets a new model and a second wind like the dsi series did for the ds line then I could see Smash sales going nuts. Otherwise it probably doesn't have a chance.

crazy scenario time: what if the 3DS version bombs, and 3DS+Wii U somehow falls short of Melee

edit: so is the 3DS version releasing first a reverse Titanfall :p

Anth0ny

NSMB2 -> NSMBU

SMB3DL -> SMB3DW

MK7 -> MK8

Yup, I've made this point in the past too. Never have the handheld and console iterations of Nintendo's big games been sooooooooooooo similar not only visually, but from a gameplay perspective as well. Fuck, even the names couldn't be more similar! (Land/World, 7/8, 2/U, for 3DS/for Wii U)

If I'm Joe Walmart, and I see a $99 2DS will all of these games for $39 a pop, why would I even think of buying a $299 console for what are basically the same games?

My jaw was dropped when they announced that the 3DS Smash would be releasing well in advance of the Wii U version. I was expecting it the other way around, with 3DS Smash coming in 2015 after the hype of the Wii U version died down.

Right. Nintendo took an exclusive home console title and has arguably made it more attractive for their handheld (at least in terms of capitalizing on fans wanting the game ASAP) which already has initial versions of almost every major franchise.

This certainly appears to be doubling down on their success and moving on as soon as they can from their failure.

That's a smart move. Those games now have HD budgets and even with huge attach rates Wii U games will strugle to reach 3-4 milions sales areas.
So making 3DS version is good idea as it allows them to fullfill promises to most faithfull customers who got Wii U already while they make money on 3DS.

jeremy1456

With multiplayer being the big draw I'm sure the Wii U version will do fine. It's better geared for playing on a TV with friends.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure the 3DS version will do better, and the Wii U version will perform worse than Melee, but I'm sure it will still pull decent numbers.

It's being blown a little out of proportion.

Tomohawk

crazy scenario time: what if the 3DS version bombs, and 3DS+Wii U somehow falls short of Melee

edit: so is the 3DS version releasing first a reverse Titanfall :p

If your talking about japan i doubt it, but world wide it definitely won't out sell melee.

Top Bottom