• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2015 (Mar 23 - Mar 29)

Takao

Banned
after today's presentation I can't exactly see a company like level-5 making a game like ushiro anymore

guess it's really dead
rip

duckroll

Well they removed 3DS from Layton 7 so the thing we just saw really is Layton 7, huh.

Remember how Mystery Room was originally a DS title under the Atamania brand, and was a totally original IP about a US detective agency? And then it vanished, only to resurface later as a completely different Layton Brothers Mystery Room for iOS/Android? Yeah.

this game debuted with 16k on ps3 in december
c'mon

I'm waiting for find it into some bargain basket

PS3 version I mean, I tried the demo and it might be a worth if you pay less than 1,500yen for it, I liked that B movie/game feeling it gives :D

Rymuth

Remember how Mystery Room was originally a DS title under the Atamania brand, and was a totally original IP about a US detective agency? And then it vanished, only to resurface later as a completely different Layton Brothers Mystery Room for iOS/Android? Yeah.
Holy sh-

That, I did not know.

crinale

A guy got Famitsu is saying it disappeared from 3DS upcoming list too..

duckroll

A guy got Famitsu is saying it disappeared from 3DS upcoming list too..

Yes but isn't that obvious? Why would you release a social multiplayer game which requires players to talk and communicate with each other on the 3DS? Whatever the game originally was when they announced it clearly didn't work out.

crinale

Yes but isn't that obvious? Why would you release a social multiplayer game which requires players to talk and communicate with each other on the 3DS? Whatever the game originally was when they announced it clearly didn't work out.

Well I was wondering if Hino really has given up the OG Layton style game. But yeah I guess he has abondoned it.

So Destiny isn't a new ip because its a space shooter by Bungie?

Would anyone out there be complaining if the game had been called "Demon's Souls 2: Bloodborne" with no other changes? Is the game so far removed from Demon's Souls that people would have commented how strange it was it kept the name?

Technically all new games are a new IP(Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a new IP from Final Fantasy XIII), but that's not what people think of when they talk of a new IP.

Since there is no strict definition of "new IP" as it is used in this context, it's no wonder to me that people see it different ways.

duckroll

Maybe I'm lost lol. What I saw today looked like a Mafia game. Was Layton 7 introduced as what's shown today?

Layton 7 was introduced as a weird "social interaction" game with an isometric town and 7 different characters players would play as and interact with each other. No one knew how the game actually played because it was a really vague concept. It was nothing like a Layton game.

They took the concept of "7 different character roles" and adapted it to the game we saw today, because obviously whatever they wanted to make probably just wasn't fun.

crinale

Layton 7 was introduced as a weird "social interaction" game with an isometric town and 7 different characters players would play as and interact with each other. No one knew how the game actually played because it was a really vague concept. It was nothing like a Layton game.

Oh I see, so it was going to be in different style from the first place. Thanks for the clarification.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Snack World, among other things, seems the first big 3DS game (big due to the cross-media aspect) with a major focus on New 3DS. I know the NFC accessories for OG 3DS is coming in the next few months, but it seems to me something that could affect positively the sales of the new model. Also, key-chains being that small is smart, given the portable focus of the project.

duckroll

Oh I see, so it was going to be in different style from the first place. Thanks for the clarification.

This is what Layton 7 looked like 2 years ago: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130827_612736.html

Lol.

The Snack World, among other things, seems the first big 3DS game (big due to the cross-media aspect) with a major focus on New 3DS. I know the NFC accessories for OG 3DS is coming in the next few months, but it seems to me something that could affect positively the sales of the new model. Also, key-chains being that small is smart, given the portable focus of the project.

I don't think Snack World is coming out this year, by next year Nintendo will have announced new hardware, the New 3DS will be nothing more than an afterthought I think. Anyone who doesn't have a New 3DS and doesn't want a NFC reader for the old 3DS will just play the game on their smartphones. :p

duckroll

At the rate they're going I'm half surprised that Yokai Watch wasn't announced for mobile.

They announced 3 different Yokai Watch mobile apps. That will do the job of spreading the brand in that direction. The reason why they don't have Yokai Watch 3 on mobile seems pretty obvious to me - they're just building on what they have already made and what they know already works. Selling millions of copies at 50 bucks is extremely profitable. Adapting that to a F2P system would take more time and effort, something they could put towards the next IP instead.

It would actually be interesting if Snack World is F2P on both mobile and 3DS. ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They announced 3 different Yokai Watch mobile apps. That will do the job of spreading the brand in that direction. The reason why they don't have Yokai Watch 3 on mobile seems pretty obvious to me - they're just building on what they have already made and what they know already works. Selling millions of copies at 50 bucks is extremely profitable. Adapting that to a F2P system would take more time and effort, something they could put towards the next IP instead.

It would actually be interesting if Snack World is F2P on both mobile and 3DS. ;)
Ah, I didn't see the apps. That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the main game for the reasons you listed. No point changing what is working extremely well currently, but I was wondering why there seemed to be nothing given the tone of the conference.

Don't worry we will be getting a Dark Cloud 3 announcement at E3 for PS4 amirite? AMIRITE!!

* sob *

I hold onto hope though. With all this new cash flowing in to the studio, they could afford a mega-opus type production.

duckroll

Ah, I didn't see the apps. That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the main game for the reasons you listed. No point changing what is working extremely well currently, but I was wondering why there seemed to be nothing given the tone of the conference.

They're partnering with NHN for Yokai Watch Puni Puni, which was the big mobile announcement for the franchise. It's a matching puzzle game where you match yokai pieces and they shoot enemies or something. Pretty standard mobile stuff. There's also a Yokai Watch Encyclopedia app, and they announced a rhythm game but didn't provide details.

It's also unclear what platform Yokai Watch x Romance of the Three Kingdoms is, could be a 3DS game, but could also be a PC/mobile/browser thing.

They also revamped the Uniplay concept into a unified Level5 ID thing instead, where it unifies all their smartphone offerings under one account in future - Wonderflick R, Layton 7, Fantasy Life 2, and the various Yokai Watch apps.

Don't worry we will be getting a Dark Cloud 3 announcement at E3 for PS4 amirite? AMIRITE!!

* sob *

I hold onto hope though. With all this new cash flowing in to the studio, they could afford a mega-opus type production.
Nah. This conference was supposed to reveal their vision for 2015 and it showed basically that..... Yo-kai Watch and doubling down on Smartphones...... in addition to a new IP that is especially designed to cash on the NFC craze and .... Smartphones type of gameplay.

Alrus

* sob *

Dark Cloud isn't about how much money Level-5 has because it's a Sony owned IP and thus Sony would bankroll it.

Nibel

after today's presentation I can't exactly see a company like level-5 making a game like ushiro anymore

guess it's really dead
rip

Yeah; they are doing interesting business moves and I assume their shareholders will love that, but man as "Level-5 the game developers" this was horrible.

Mpl90

This is what Layton 7 looked like 2 years ago: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130827_612736.html

Lol.

I don't think Snack World is coming out this year, by next year Nintendo will have announced new hardware, the New 3DS will be nothing more than an afterthought I think. Anyone who doesn't have a New 3DS and doesn't want a NFC reader for the old 3DS will just play the game on their smartphones. :p

Mmmh...if it comes out next year, especially in Q3/Q4, yeah...Nintendo would be much more concentrated on their next hardware than New 3DS. Unless there's an NX version coming too :p Seriously, though, I'll say I was rather surprised to see the game being shown on both platforms already, looking back at other times Level 5 announced their cross-media projects,

Oh, right, it could be a F2P game on all the platforms too, considering how both 3DS and mobile versions look very, veeery similar.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

* sob *

Level 5 has no need to take contract work from others at this point and Dark Cloud is a Sony IP.

test_account

XP-39C²
It really isn't a straight line (see a slight curve there?) So yes it does say "し" (in script form really).
Yeah, there is a slight curve there indeed, but i thought maybe it was too small to make a distinction :)

Thank you for the information. I didnt know it is releasing third time. How much PS3 version of the scholar of first sin sold?

Also thank you for the correction, i am not a native speaker so i am bound to make some mistakes, but i am glad you pointed out.
I think the PS3 version has sold somewhere around 20k-25k now. The last time i saw it in the Famitsu Top 30, it had sold about 19k, but that was 2-3 weeks ago or so.

No worries, i usually dont care about typos as long as its easy to understand whats being said. And i understood exactly what you ment, but i've seen you mentioned that word before too, so i thought that i would point it out :)

Would anyone out there be complaining if the game had been called "Demon's Souls 2: Bloodborne" with no other changes? Is the game so far removed from Demon's Souls that people would have commented how strange it was it kept the name?

Technically all new games are a new IP(Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a new IP from Final Fantasy XIII), but that's not what people think of when they talk of a new IP.

Since there is no strict definition of "new IP" as it is used in this context, it's no wonder to me that people see it different ways.
I dont know how much complaining there would be, but story, theme and lore wise, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are very different, so it wouldnt make much sense in that way if it was called Demon's Souls 2. I guess you can say something similar regarding Dark Souls 1 and 2 as well though, at least i didnt see any big relation between the two games outside of the theme (medieval) being much of the same, but i never really dug deep into the lore of the game. The comparison between Halo and Destiny is pretty good, in my opinion.

New IPs are not proven franchises, i think that is mostly why people point it out when mentioning "new IP". Even if the gameplay is known and popular, it might not guarantee being a success. Several of companies have tried to make modern warfare games for example, but they dont end up selling as much as the Call of Duty games.

duckroll

Yeah; they are doing interesting business moves and I assume their shareholders will love that, but man as "Level-5 the game developers" this was horrible.

Level5 is not a listed company, their shareholders are likely the same people working at and running the company. :)

The only bad business decision, in my opinion, is Fantasy Life 2 on smartphones, since it seems to be a re-skinned Fantasy Life 1 with micro-transactions.

YW apps seem nice, and they will help in spreading the popularity of the IP even more.

Mpl90

Oh thanks, I must have missed that. I expect this to be very much like Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition in that case. :)

I don't get why Hino didn't say the platform outright at the conference, instead of just waiting for the official site to go up with the platform's name. Also, thanks Takao: he posted it in the YW3's announcement thread, I've just reported it here. :p

Eolz

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Lol.

I wouldn't be suprised if Snack World sees a release on Nintendo's next handheld. It is releasing really late in the 3DS'S life.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Re: Level5

Yokai apps are a smart move. They will spread the brand awarness even more, while profiting a lot for "normal" games on 3DS (both Busters and YW3, imho).

Fantasy Life 2 could be smart, but they shouldn't have called it FL2, imho. Fantasy Life "on the go", Fantasy Life "Universe" or whatever. Becuase that doesn't seem a full sequel at all.

The Snack world seems ready to repeat a good success (not a YW-like success, imho, because that is out of scale): mobile + 3ds (New3ds and old with the dongle) should be a smart move for NFC keychains. And NFC keychains seem a smart move too "per sè".

I think that the N3ds base (+ a small - imho - amount of NFC readers) should have an install base big enough to guarantee success for the project on 3DS too, imho.

Layton 7...don't know what to think. It seems better than what they originally announced. It make sens to go mobile only for this that seems not to be a proper Layton at all.

Yokai Watch conquest: don't know what to think, but could be a small budget game with decent sales, as Pokemon conquest was.

Vena

So I didn't get much of a chance to watch the event as per being stuck in a transcont conference all morning, can someone give me the quick run-down on what is Yokai-Watch Conquest?

The rest I have pieced together from the threads.

FL2 seems like the only odd-ball to me, not even sure why its named FL2 as it seems its changed focus quite a bit and rehashed a good bit of the assets. Otherwise, I have this very strong suspcision that Snack World is going to end up being on the 4DS as well and that's why its slated with the N3DS as a console, almost like an after-thought, given the timing. (Reading up, I guess in a way I agree with duckroll on the roll of this title on the 3DS given its time of release.)

Nibel

Level5 is not a listed company, their shareholders are likely the same people working at and running the company. :)

Oh, I didn't know that!

Damn, Hino keeping all that cash in the L5 family then. I can see that keychain stuff taking off since those are supposed to be popular in Japan.

But as for the games themselves.. Layton 7 being a mobile board/card game (?).. nothing I really look forward to.

I also wonder what the motivation is that YW3 takes place in the US

extralite

Let's not forget that these cross media franchises are heavily targeted at kids so I think 3DS will still be relevant for Snack World.

Also, during the presentation the smartphone crapped out on them and they went back to the N3DS, lol. Hino said this already happened during rehearsal but he didn't think it would also happen during the actual show.

Holding the treasures behind the device is also less cool than laying them on the screen.

Nibel

Tapping the American market with a familiar setting.

That's what I was thinking at first, too, but it seems kinda risky - the US fanbase isn't established yet and I always assumed the Japanese setting was a plus for the Japanese market.

But then again they managed to turn this from bomba to a potential mega franchise, so what do I know lol

Top Bottom