• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2017 (Mar 27 - Apr 02)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Both games are confirmed for Switch. Does Terraria really have much selling power left in it though?

zeromcd73

Two new Naruto games announced:

Naruto Ultimate Storm Trilogy (PS4) July 27
- Contains Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 1/2/3

Naruto to Boruto Shinobi Striker (PS4)
- 4v4 (1player controls 4 characters) online game

L~A

There is no way Mario Odyssey comes out earlier than November. It's Nintendo's flagship title for holidays.

Yeah, no way it's not a November title.

Here's the release date for those who are wondering: November 17th (last Friday before Black Friday in the US). Yes, it's speculation, but the release date of major holiday titles for Nintendo in NA are pretty easy to guess.

And I really don't see the infamous Pokémon Stars before November either.

By the way, LEGO Worlds is going to cost 2 980 Yen (PS4). Finally a company that gets it!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll try, sir (´・ω・`)

And it's going to be even more fun to see you failing while you actually try!

Keep the good work with the Switch stock reports translations, and keep the accurancy :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
November for SMO(Switch) and Pokemon Stars (3DS/Switch) seems likely.

Salvadora

November for SMO(Switch) and Pokemon Stars (3DS/Switch) seems likely.
I don't think they would release two such high profile first party releases in the same month.

I continue to believe that Stars, with it being Switch only, will come out in October and Super Mario Odyssey coming out the following month.

I think the Switch install base will be robust enough by later this year to support a Pokemon game.

cw_sasuke

I don't think they would release two such high profile first party releases in the same month.

I continue to believe that Stars, with it being Switch only, will come out in October and Super Mario Odyssey coming out the following month.

I think the Switch install base will be robust enough by later this year to support a Pokemon game.

Hmmm they always tried to have to big releases for November/Black Friday for 3DS/WiiU or DS/Wii in the past years. They probably still wanna have massive 3DS sales this year...so Pokemon would need to hit that spot.

The Holiday season will be brutal - PS4/One will get price drops, Scorpio is launching....big AAA titles will fight for money with Destiny/CoD/RDR2 etc.

They need to make sure that Switch doesnt get lost in the Storm and have bombs ready themselves. Zelda DLC, Smash Bros. Perfect Edition and one new title is what i see for October.

But Pokemon in October and SMO a month later would make sense as well....Mario will be massive if it doesnt have to share the Spotlight. Also if MH Switch happens this year...they might wanna have some space between Pokemon and MH.

It's not like they really care about the 3DS in 2017, if you look at the profile of its games this year.
I think they care enough not to abandon their highest selling hardware during its last viable holiday season.

Switch will make bank this year, but it's still not at a mass market price or profile for Nintendo to put all its non-mobile eggs into.

I agree it could be a 3DS game, just don't see a switch version happening
I trust Eurogamer.

cw_sasuke

I dont think Pokémon stars switch will even happen. Don't think we'll see a Pokémon game on switch for a couple of years

Hmm....we will see - i dont think it will be exclusive, but i think it will happen.
It's not like they really care about the 3DS in 2017, if you look at the profile of its games this year.

...lets see how it looks after e3. Last year showed that one big games is enough to sell alot of systems during the Holidays. Cant see them not having another Pokemon for 3DS for later this year. Last time to really milk the system, since i expect a smaller/more compact Switch to be announced in Q1 18. No reason for them to push the 3DS after that.

zeromcd73

And it's going to be even more fun to see you failing while you actually try!

Keep the good work with the Switch stock reports translations, and keep the accurancy :p
Plz no bully!
Nothing today for Switch from online retailers. Try again tomorrow!

hiska-kun

I've just made a new graph. Both games have nothing in common, but I found interesting their sales, since they are almost identical.

RE7 VS NIER
nier_zpskyuwrsyu.jpg

zeromcd73

Nikkei Interview with Square Enix CEO Matsuda-kun: http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/column/16/021400099/032900007/

- Talks about extending the life of titles through updates and DLC allowing them to continue selling for longer periods of time (FFXV in this case)
- Notes that releasing titles in Japan than waiting several months to release their titles overseas is not a good business strategy, especially for their story/adventure focused titles and continues to note the importance of worldwide releases
- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else' as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before
- Smartphone users aren't just looking for light games anymore, but more hardcore experiences
- Japan/China/North America account for 80% of the smartphone market, so no need for worldwide releases for smartphone titles
- Has an interest in the Middle East/India as a potentially large untapped market for the future
- More announcements to come for FF's 30th anniversary
- Notes that 2017 has Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio, Windows 10 game mode and google's Tango
- Out of all of these Square Enix is focusing most on Nintendo Switch

Switch section in more details:
This part about Switch is interesting. Matsuda said that having more platforms is good for content creators, therefore he would like Switch to be successful. He also wants more titles in development and existing ones to be ported to Switch if they're possible/feasible.
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/column/16/021400099/032900007/?P=3

cw_sasuke

Mostly because DQX and DQXI are headed to Switch - but if they would bring KH3 to Switch as well this would mean quite a bit.

LordKano

Thanks god Square Enix in Japan is focusing more on Nintendo Switch than on Xbox Scorpio. The opposite would have been...funny.

mao2

Nikkei Interview with Square Enix CEO Matsuda-kun: http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/column/16/021400099/032900007/

- Talks about extending the life of titles through updates and DLC allowing them to continue selling for longer periods of time (FFXV in this case)
- Notes that releasing titles in Japan than waiting several months to release their titles overseas is not a good business strategy, especially for their story/adventure focused titles and continues to note the importance of worldwide releases
- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before
- Smartphone users aren't just looking for light games anymore, but more hardcore experiences
- Japan/China/North America account for 80% of the smartphone market, so no need for worldwide releases for smartphone titles
- Has an interest in the Middle East/India as a potentially large untapped market for the future
- Notes that 2017 has Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio, Windows 10 game mode and google's Tango
This part about Switch is interesting. Matsuda said that having more platforms is good for content creators, therefore he would like Switch to be successful. He also wants more titles in development and existing ones to be ported to Switch if they're possible/feasible.
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/atcl/column/16/021400099/032900007/?P=3
プラットフォームが増えるということは、コンテンツメーカーにとってはいいことです。Switchにはぜひ成功してもらいたいです。新規タイトルの開発はもちろん、既存のゲームタイトルでも可能なものはどんどん移植したいと考えています。

Principate

Saint Titanfall

- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before

Makes sense Xbox is dead in Japan and the Switch represents a potential for cultivating a lucrative domestic market. Guessing they probably won't be doing Rise of the Tomb Raider style deals for a while though.

cw_sasuke

Switch to be the first Nintendo console to get FF7.

Im talking about the PC port based on the PSOne version not the Remake (yet). Wouldnt shock me if this would happen the same time the Cloud Amiibo releases.

zeromcd73

Funny considering the timing, but Matsuda talks about the importance of youtube and sharing yourself playing games with others online as an important marketing tool.

Square seems quite commited in supporting the Switch. I hope it is not only words.

I mean, they committed heavily to Vita in the end, it was just far too late in the day to make a difference. I see no reason they wouldn't move on to the next high-end handheld with this new attitude towards the market.

cw_sasuke

Octopus Travelator looks good - but it would likely get buried if its a late/Holiday release. I would assume they are targeting a Q1 2018 release worldwide - the BD games hit europe around that time as well.

L~A

Hmm... I could see Project Octopath Traveler getting a late December release (to focus on New Year sales). Definitely no simultaneous release with the west, though (hopefully a shorter timeframe than Bravely Second).

Orgen

- Smartphone titles in the first half of 2016 did poorly, their motto this year is 'something else' as they have to stand out and be different from the competition in order to attract users on phones and not just continue making these games using the same templates as they have before

Switch section in more details:

It begins... ;P

Interested in the new announcements for FF's 30th anniversary. There were some compilations rumored right?

Mario007

Well, for now they already announced/released DQH1+2, Spelunker Z, DQX, DQXI, I Am Setsuna and Project Octopath Traveler. I'd say they are already pretty much on board. Not surprising tho, they were the biggest third party on 3DS.
Eh Level 5 and Capcom slipped your mind?

massucci

Banned
Several people say this is a good baseline for PS4, but it is the same level as last year, right? Isn't it likely going to fall below 30K next week due to the slow sales period?

And, just for extra appeal, roughly the same figure as last year, too.

Must be all those stability updates.
I mean:
| PS4 # | 30.057 | 30.733 | 30.081 | 512.789 | 382.680
Now, it could be ps4 from now starts to drop dramatically but until the past week sales are quite respectable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mh, did they supported more the 3DS than Square ? Maybe Level 5 did.

Are you talking about the DS or 3DS? Capcom supported the 3DS far more than any third party. S-E was a heavy supporter of the DS but backed out of 3DS early. They did continue supporting it with Dragon Quest though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Mh, did they supported more the 3DS than Square ? Maybe Level 5 did.
Capcom definitely did. Square barely supported the 3DS even after bravely did very on the 3DS they put out a very low effort sequel with recycled content. Capcom litterally put lot if it's strongest games with plenty of ecpansion effort.

Top Bottom