• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2013 (Apr 01 - Apr 07)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's coming, although I don't know if the platform is confirmed. It's obviously going to be 3DS, though there might be a Wii U version that nobody will buy anyway.

There's a thread, it's esclusive for 3DS. Some infos directly from scans and translated

Some new info from scans:
- Winter 2013 targeted release date
- 200+ monsters, some exclusive to PAD-Z, some from the iOS/Android version
- Looking like a spinoff ala Maplestory DS / Ragnarok Odyssey instead of a port
- Probably not going to be F2P

Nekki

There's a thread, it's esclusive for 3DS. Some infos directly from scans and translated

Some new info from scans:
- Winter 2013 targeted release date
- 200+ monsters, some exclusive to PAD-Z, some from the iOS/Android version
- Looking like a spinoff ala Maplestory DS / Ragnarok Odyssey instead of a port
- Probably not going to be F2P

Oh, very cool!

Sounds reasonable.

Bruno MB

After Tales of Graces bombed so hard (it barely sold 300 more units than the cheap spin-off Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World), it's understandable that they are very weary of putting another Tales of title on a Nintendo home console. They got burned pretty bad.

serplux

The Tales of the Abyss 3DS port seemed to do fairly okay, selling 121,815 (at a time where the 3DS userbase was around the same size as the Vita userbase) units. An original entry wouldn't be a bad idea.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After Tales of Graces bombed so hard (it barely sold 300 more units than the cheap spin-off Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World), it's understandable that they are very weary of putting another Tales of title on a Nintendo home console. They got burned pretty bad.

Still doesnt explain why there is no 3DS love - remakes and spin-offs should do well on the system.

The Tales of the Abyss 3DS port seemed to do fairly okay, selling 121,815 (at a time where the 3DS userbase was around the same size as the Vita userbase) units. An original entry wouldn't be a bad idea.

think we've hada more recent figure at 146k, baffling theres been no tales for 3ds since

Thorgal

Still doesnt explain why there is no 3DS love - remakes and spin-offs should do well on the system.

think we've hada more recent figure at 146k, baffling theres been no tales for 3ds since

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/interview-tales-producer-hideo-baba-on-tales-of-xillia-more

— What goes into deciding which platform a Tales game is developed for?

Baba: I understand that fans in western countries have some interest in the formats, but the biggest market for the Tales of series is still in Japan. And so in Japan, most fans expect to have the game on the PlayStation format, so we are now releasing the titles only on the PlayStation format

Soriku

That's a weird reasoning, both PSVita Tales remake sold worse than a lazy port of Abyss on the 3DS.

They could always reconsider about that...at least as far as the Vita goes. Vita is in a much different position than the PS3.

Also, from that new interview:

"Our main target audience for the Tales franchise is still ultimately Japan, so when we make a game we want to target our main fanbase," he said, adding that, after doing extensive research in Japan, the team found that their audience is centered around the PlayStation 3. As a result, the team's focus remains there.

"So we like the idea of the Wii U -- we think it's a great system -- and if it becomes more and more successful in the future that's a console we would like to tap eventually, but for the time being we don't have any plans and we are focused on maintaining our fanbase on PlayStation 3," Baba said.

"It's not really about our opinions on whether or not it's a good system; ultimately it becomes a question of, 'What consoles do our fans have?'"

Next Tales for PS3 confirmed again.

Thorgal

That's a weird reasoning, both PSVita Tales remake sold worse than a lazy port of Abyss on the 3DS.

hes talking about mothership titles staying on playstation because thats where the fanbase is. altough that may also extent to handhelds.

besides even with the massive sales difference between 3ds and vita i don't think a tales game will do any better on 3DS.

also the fact that tales of the abyss came out pre price cut on a game starved handheld.

They could always reconsider about that...at least as far as the Vita goes. Vita is in a much different position than the PS3.

Also, from that new interview:

Next Tales for PS3 confirmed again.

not to say it is likely but i do think they may already have plans to jump to PS4 after this one is out.
Kinda a missed opertunity to have a tales game at launch of PS4 in japan tough.

serplux

hes talking about mothership titles staying on playstation because thats where the fanbase is. altough that may also extent to handhelds.

besides even with the massive sales difference between 3ds and vita i don't think a tales game will do any better on 3DS.

RPGs on the 3DS have been doing quite well for themselves. Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, and Rune Factory have all hit their series high (well, since the Super Famicom for Fire Emblem), Bravely Default established itself well as a new IP, and Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest. The remake's performance seems to indicate that there is a sizeable fanbase on the 3DS, so I think the 3DS is a decent bet.

but the tales game we had already on 3ds outsold both the ones on vita by a large margin

zroid

Banned
So Abyss 3D actually came out well before the 3DS took off in Japan? Before the price drop, even. They should port another one, maybe Symphonia; it'll do well.

These thing depend on initial shipments and expectations though too. Abyss was a fairly popular entry, much more so than the games the Vita entries are based on (Which incidentally were DS games which were themselves considered disappointing sales-wise.). It doesn't matter much since we've seen reports that they don't plan to support the Vita either.

For comparison, didn't the similarly lazy port of Tales of Eternia do somewhere north of 200k?

3Kaze

Almost every "old" Tales game already got a port or remake, except for Tempest (likely coming out next year) and Legendia. Both underperformed so I can't see them selling well on any platform.

Sandfox

I'm kinda expecting to see a Tales game of some kind eventually since the 3DS obviously has an RPG fanbase that is growing. The only big name RPG that isn't present on it at this point is FF. It may not be a main title but it would be strange for nothing to come.

The game probably would've bombed regardless but that's what happens when you release an RPG the week before FFXIII comes out.

Its probably going to be announced in a few months. The reasoning for it being the last of the DS games is probably because its going to have the most changes.

Tempest R still coming I think, there are hints in Innocence R.

seeing as almost no one bought either tales vita game so far (despite innocence launching in the wake of the vita price cut) namco would need their head examining if they do tempest on it

These thing depend on initial shipments and expectations though too. Abyss was a fairly popular entry, much more so than the games the Vita entries are based on (Which incidentally were DS games which were themselves considered disappointing sales-wise.). It doesn't matter much since we've seen reports that they don't plan to support the Vita either.

For comparison, didn't the similarly lazy port of Tales of Eternia do somewhere north of 200k?

Expectations should have been higher for full remakes such as Innocence R and Hearts R, instead of a 1-to-1 porting as Abyss, right?

The game probably would've bombed regardless but that's what happens when you release an RPG the week before FFXIII comes out.

To be fair, the PS3 version was released the very same week as MHP3rd, which was the biggest third party game in the history of Japanese retail. By most accounts that should've eaten heavily into its sales but it didn't.

Expectations should have been higher for full remakes such as Innocence R and Hearts R, instead of a 1-to-1 porting as Abyss, right?

Again it probably goes in part by reviews and expectations. too though. Tales of Innocence was a massive bomb on the DS too, I'm thinking that's why they gave the Vita a second go. It's the same way they didn't think much of Tempest doing horribly.

Sandfox

Like what?

seeing as almost no one bought either tales vita game so far (despite innocence launching in the wake of the vita price cut) namco would need their head examining if they do tempest on it

In Tales of Innocence R the secret dungeon contains CGs from Tales of Hearts and Tales of the Tempest. Tales of Hearts R also ends with the line "To be continued to Next Re-imagination!". Its pretty much confirmed by this point lol

tiku

Not for me, disappointing original games are not going to made a remake of themselves more interesting than the port of one of the most popular game of the franchise.

In Tales of Innocence R the secret dungeon contains CGs from Tales of Hearts and Tales of the Tempest. Tales of Hearts R also ends with the line "To be continued to Next Re-imagination!". Its pretty much confirmed by this point lol

plans change, "to be continued" is one of the most often broken promises in all medias

Takao

Banned
Those remakes were outsourced as well. Part of me expects Scamco to bundle the PSVita remakes and release them on PS3 eventually. They look bad visually, but the native Tales games on PS3 aren't all that great looking either.

Soriku

Spiegel

Why?

It's not like farming out ugly 3D games is that expensive. And they all probably had a similar amount of dev time.

Abyss is a great fit for the 3DS. ToIR and ToHR are not a good fit for the Vita (or for anything).

Why?

It's not like farming out ugly 3D games is that expensive. And they all probably had a similar amount of dev time.

Abyss is a great fit for the 3DS. ToIR and ToHR are not a good fit for the Vita (or for anything).

First of all, Tales of Innocence and Hearts are not bad Tales of games at all. They're not like Tempest, hence there is a baseline quality. Secondly, working on a remake seems to me way more expensive than just doing a straight porting (Abyss has nothing new except for 3D). Finally, it's not that very shitty Tales of didn't sell on PSP; on the contrary.

Spiegel

First of all, Tales of Innocence and Hearts are not bad Tales of games at all. They're not like Tempest, hence there is a baseline quality. Secondly, working on a remake seems to me way more expensive than just doing a straight porting (Abyss has nothing new except for 3D). Finally, it's not that very shitty Tales of didn't sell on PSP; on the contrary.

Good looking (for the hardware) port of a popular game vs fanservice games released after the Tales fanbase was built on the system vs ugly remakes that no one asked for of not so popular games.

And for the record, I'm not saying this to defend the Vita. ToA sold great on 3DS and as I said recently on these threads, Namco should release TotW or ToS on the system and stop with these Vita remakes.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Don't understand why they don't just port Vesperia to Vita. I realise it would be a significantly higher cost production but would also likely sell on par with P4. They're heavily diluting the brand by cheaply remaking all these critically panned games.

Soriku

Don't understand why they don't just port Vesperia to Vita. I realise it would be a significantly higher cost production but would also likely sell on par with P4. They're heavily diluting the brand by cheaply remaking all these critically panned games.

No. No it wouldn't.

Sandfox

Right now they are just trying to port the DS games but Vesperia isn't impossible in the future. The fact that they would have to reduce a few things in the game might harm its chances though.

3Kaze

I've said in another thread that even a high quality remake of the best selling Tales game (Tales of Destiny) on PS2, while not a bomb, has been outsold by ports (TOS PS2, TOV PS3). There's nothing left and worth to remake.

Top Bottom