• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2013 (Apr 01 - Apr 07)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well they might want that and I'm sure Sony wants a unique title from a big japanese franchise on the Vita but as it stands both Wii U and Vita aren't getting that. Capcom is a good example actually. They must be happy with the numbers of the MH3G HD, considering it's a port of a port. We'll see if we'll see more of the same with MH4 as well.

I suspect a MH4 Wii U port is in the works right now- if it does ok in the West I think it will come.

Pretty easy money for Capcom.

Mario007

I suspect a MH4 Wii U port is in the works right now- if it does ok in the West I think it will come.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It could be a good strategy for Sony and Nintendo to prop up their struggling consoles/handhelds.

Soriku

PS3 first E3 had DMC4 and MGS4 announced.
PS4 has already had MGSV and a FF announced for it.

MGSV isn't announced for PS4. Like Dark Souls 2, it's not guaranteed.

Even if it does come to the PS4, it will still be on the PS3, 360, and probably 720 as well, not an exclusive like MGS4.

Basically just wait till E3 and TGS to get a better idea for PS4.

Oersted

That's not true. There is currently still one unreleased Japanese third party game.

I don't disagree with your assessment, even if it's only a handful of low budget games to coincide with Nintendo's big hitters, it would still be a notable improvement.

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Resident Evil, partly Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, most likely those other hinted collabs... which one do you mean^^?

Takao

Banned
Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Resident Evil, partly Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, most likely those other hinted collabs... which one do you mean^^?

Games funded by Nintendo are not third party ... Nirolak was referring to Resident Evil Revelations HD as Wii U's last currently known Japanese third party game.

L Thammy

Might not be as necessary as it used to be. MH4 has online, and I suspect that the 3DS version of MH3U is doing better in the West than the Wii U one just due to install base.

The Wii U version seems to be fairly cheap (inexplicable framerate skips in a 3DS up-port) but they've supported it with the day one patch and another upcoming patch. I don't know if Capcom will consider the payoff to be worth it.

Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 IP, and they're funding the development of Bayonetta 2.

So yeah, the Wii U has literally zero Japanese third party support.

schuelma

This is so incredibly bizarre when you think about it.

It gets even more bizarre when you consider RE:Revelations is the only Japanese 3rd party game announced since September.

There's other problems. Of the things you've brought up Yakuza and MGS5 are the only one I can't immediately excuse away on incompetency grounds. RE6 was a disaster. To port that turn they'd need to pull a Realm Reborn/Razor's Edge. Revelations was well received, in fact porting it is probably to cover up for RE6 since Revelations is a significantly better game. Likewise, Lightning Returns looks rough, I'd have a hard time believing that game won't be rushed and isn't experiencing development problems. Dark Soul 2 is more interesting but From is a small, technically incapable developer.

More interesting is that all the big titles are not next-gen. It seems reasonable that they'd want to stretch this party longer given the big install bases but how is that going to reflect on next-gen systems especially without BC? This seems a lot like the Vita situation.
RE6 sold about 3x more than Revelations, and Capcom bought themselves a 39/40 in Famitsu afaik - so I don't really see how one would be a much better porting decision - other than that the main source of sales for the series has already been tapped for RE6, so they don't see much point in porting to the Wii U.

Yes, technical proficiency could be used as to reason away the silence on the Wii U, if this was a technological generational change rather than simply a chronological one.
It wasn't just HD gen, Japanese devs are notoriously slow to transition in every cycle, which is why I listed the previous gen also. It was the same before that, with most major publishers still focusing on SuFami in 94/95 before eventually deciding to move to PS1 in 96/97.

I agree the lack of ports announced for Wii U is worrying given it's technology positioning, but it was the same thing for Wii initially too, and even Vita last year really. It might never really rurn around like the former, or maybe Nintendo can incetivize their way through it like the latter. Wii U 3rd party announcements in general have been pretty bizarre in how they're handled the whole way through, for every region.

As far as the lack of comparable announcements versus PS3 (or PS2 before that), that's the difference in following up a clear market leader versus not. The only system this gen with PS2/PS3-like early commitments out of Japan is 3DS, in large part because it's the successor to the clear market leader there last gen. If we examine PS4 under the same microscope versus PS2/PS3, it's also lagging significantly. Do you then also expect PS4 to get significantly less Japanese support than PS3 did?
"Normal" generational transitions provide technical hurdles. The Wii U, however, offers comparable performance and has been touted as easy to port to from the 360. It's not a transition to 3D, there's no Cell broadband engine, it's not purportedly difficult to work with like the PS2, there isn't anything like programmable shaders to get a grip on.

The PS4 was announced 54 days ago.
The Xbox 3 is unannounced.
The Wii U was announced 679 days ago. And has been released for 129 days. There have been two E3s, two TGSs, two GamesComs and two VGAs since the announcement.

There's more leeway in terms of waiting for announcements when the system has just been announced, and its expected multiplatform companion has yet to be announced. Even then, we've already been told something Final Fantasy is coming at E3 - please be excited, and Capcom have signaled support with Deep Down. Again, the FOX engine wasn't created just to make PS3/360 games for Konami. Even Level-5's Hino has already said they're planning a PS4 title; I'm not sure if they've given any indication of making a Wii U title as yet.

Looking at the Western market for a moment, we have Battlefield 4 also not announced for PS4/Xbox 3. Something that has already been tacitly confirmed.

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, partly Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, most likely those other hinted collabs...
Are not third party support.

The bizarre thing is the set up to this punchline. What was Nintendo doing when they finished with their Wii support? Did they not attempt to negotiate with other companies at all?

why why why why a " gaming journalist" doesn t ask this thing to iwata, miyamoto, reggie or anyone?????????? why

The bizarre thing is the set up to this punchline. What was Nintendo doing when they finished with their Wii support? Did they not attempt to negotiate with other companies at all?

Clearly they did...with Capcom for MHHD and Square Enix for Dragon Quest port. And then stopped.

Unless they manage to get Persona 5 in some form.

EDIT: What games from Japan are announced for consoles but not coming?

1. FFX HD
2. ???

I'm honestly having a mental blank here.

Soriku

They killed off Wii support (too) early to get support for the Wii U...only to not get any Wii U support at all.

L Thammy

Clearly they did...with Capcom for MHHD and Square Enix for Dragon Quest port. And then stopped.

Do you think so? I think Capcom released Monster Hunter HD because they felt that they had to. If they were going to release MH3U over here at all, it needed to be on a console with online play. Isn't that their story?

DQX was coming when the Wii was going, so it's not hard to believe that Square Enix didn't need convincing, either.

Takao

Banned

EDIT: What games from Japan are announced for consoles but not coming?

1. FFX HD
2. ???

I'm honestly having a mental blank here.

Dark Souls II
Metal Gear Solid V
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
J-Stars Victory Vs.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Do you think so? I think Capcom released Monster Hunter HD because they felt that they had to. If they were going to release MH3U over here at all, it needed to be on a console with online play. Isn't that their story?

DQX was coming when the Wii was going, so it's not hard to believe that Square Enix didn't need convincing, either.

I mean, I'm sure they didn't need much convincing given the circumstances. There may have talks or informal requests or money or magic beans.

Dark Souls II
Metal Gear Solid V
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
J-Stars Victory Vs.

Ah, fair enough then. Hopefully more is announced/actually coming, but we're beyond the point of these games being announced for Wii U later a la COD or Epic Mickey 2, I think (hope).

Instro

Looking back though, outside of some casual titles I don't think any Japanese 3rd party found success on the Wii despite its install base. Can't imagine that helped sell them on the WiiU.

Dark Souls II
Metal Gear Solid V
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
J-Stars Victory Vs.

Armored Core
Gundam
Lost Planet
Killer is Dead
Dragon Crown

Soriku

Looking back though, outside of some casual titles I don't think any Japanese 3rd party found success on the Wii despite its install base. Can't imagine that helped sell them on the WiiU.

Armored Core
Gundam
Lost Planet
Killer is Dead
Dragon Crown

Sen no Kiseki
Atelier Escha&Logy

lol

schuelma

Well, its not like we have a ton of examples to look at. Off the top of my head the 2 big examples are SW3 and ToG. You can make some arguments for why those titles disappointed, but the facts show they absolutely did not meet expectations.

I would say Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Resident Evil found varying levels of success on Wii- coincidence that that those series have made Wii U appearances?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder why the Wii U doesn't at least grab the VN market. Even the 360 (well, this is where it started out this gen) and the Vita have a number of VNs.

Just looking at Garaph's Wii third party list, were most of these considered to have performed at, above or below expectations on the Wii?
  • Inazuma Eleven Strikers
  • One Piece Unlimited Cruise
  • Sengoku Basara 3
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Konami's sports attempts

L Thammy

I wonder why the Wii U doesn't at least grab the VN market. Even the 360 (well, this is where it started out this gen) and the Vita have a number of VNs.

Hardly an expert on the subject, but I think the basic rule is that VNs go where the nerds go unless they hit it big.

Jonnyram

Nintendo have a reputation of being expensive for licensees. VN developers don't have that kind of money to gamble with.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball on Wii is kind of interesting. The Budokai Tenkaichi ports sold well so Namco Bandai got Media.Vision (RIP Wild ARMs) to make an original side scrolling Dragon Ball game for the platform. Visually it was pretty beautiful for a Wii game, but overall it was a "meh" release. Then it bombed, like big time. No more Dragon Ball on Wii after that.

donny2112

With the alternative to believe that Nintendo is more inept securing third-party titles than at any point in their history, crazy talk time.

Supposition:
* Nintendo will have a price drop in the summer
* Nintendo is purposefully holding back first-party games for the summer
* Nintendo has a paltry few, but some, third-party games that they could announce now (e.g. rumored RE6 from more reputable sources than that one site mentioned earlier)

Result:
Nintendo is again holding back announcement of (their paltry few) third-party titles, as they did at launch with some Western titles, in order to put it all out at once to try to effectively re-launch the system with a steady stream of games for the remainder of 2013, at least, and the lower price. With the Wii U event turned into a 3DS event, and E3 becoming the Wii U event, E3 and/or Nintendo Directs around E3 would probably be where that's all announced to try to give some positive buzz for the console when the regular press all turn their attention to the gaming world at E3 time.

L Thammy

Hasn't the Kamen Rider Climax Heroes series generally performed as well on the Wii as PSP? Not a big seller, but I assume they'll be making another one (for 3DS) with the next series.

Takao

Banned
Hasn't the Kamen Rider Climax Heroes series generally performed as well on the Wii as PSP? Not a big seller, but I assume they'll be making another one with the next series.

Kamen Rider: Battleride War is on PS3. It's more of a muso clone (PS3's got a lot of those) than a successor to Climax Heroes.

Dragon Ball on Wii is kind of interesting. The Budokai Tenkaichi ports sold well so Namco Bandai got Media.Vision (RIP Wild ARMs) to make an original side scrolling Dragon Ball game for the platform. Visually it was pretty beautiful for a Wii game, but overall it was a "meh" release. Then it bombed, like big time. No more Dragon Ball on Wii after that.

I was so pissed when that rumor of "Dragon Ball Z Spike" for Wii by Dimps was false. Coincidental name of course but I was so hopeful. :(

They should've put Infinite World on Wii alongside PS2 (which came out before Piccolo), what were they thinking?! The PS2 version did really well all things considered to it was well liked.

Well 3DS is certainly a healthy choice for future DB games, not like I've said that too many times before or something *cough*.

Tiktaalik

When the Wii U was first announced and we knew of DQ X and MH going to Wii U it sounded like Nintendo had some major pieces in position and I assumed that the company had the major Japanese developers wrapped around its finger and it was poised to dominate the market with the device. It's amazing that since then nothing has panned out for the Wii U and the Japanese games (or games in general) just aren't there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When the Wii U was first announced and we knew of DQ X and MH going to Wii U it sounded like Nintendo had some major pieces in position and I assumed that the company had the major Japanese developers wrapped around its finger and it was poised to dominate the market with the device. It's amazing that since then nothing has panned out for the Wii U and the Japanese games (or games in general) just aren't there.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093

I still remember this thread. I had no idea what some of these people were on back then but the thread is a pretty hilarious read now.

I do think the Wii U's best chance to succeed now is in the same boat as the Vita's in trying to survive. Ports coming down (well in this case it'd be going up) from the more successful system, it shouldn't be -too- difficult since the Wii U is effectively a console version of a DS.

But it doesn't seem like Nintendo is willing to embrace this strategy.

Takao

Banned
Infinite World was a very cheap project. I don't believe Dimps actually made any new content for that game outside of the cut scenes, and mini-games related to the story mode. IIRC all of the character models were taken from the Data Carddas arcade games which ran on their Budokai PS2 engine. There's some speculation it was only made at the request from Atari who were looking to wring out every last dollar they could before their Dragon Ball license expired. Dimps had no experience with the Budokai engine on Nintendo hardware (they didn't do the GC ports of Budokai/Budokai 2), and since they shipped Burst Limit earlier in the year, and Evolution for PSP a few months later they were likely in a severe crunch to get Infinite World out the door. Namco Bandai probably passed on porting it over since critical reception to the game was poor, and they were developing their own original game for Wii anyways.

Instro

With the alternative to believe that Nintendo is more inept securing third-party titles than at any point in their history, crazy talk time.

Supposition:
* Nintendo has a paltry few, but some, third-party games that they could announce now (e.g. rumored RE6 from more reputable sources than that one site mentioned earlier)

Result:
Nintendo is again holding back announcement of (their paltry few) third-party titles, as they did at launch with some Western titles, in order to put it all out at once to try to effectively re-launch the system with a steady stream of games for the remainder of 2013, at least, and the lower price. With the Wii U event turned into a 3DS event, and E3 becoming the Wii U event, E3 and/or Nintendo Directs around E3 would probably be where that's all announced to try to give some positive buzz for the console when the regular press all turn their attention to the gaming world at E3 time.

Well its probably not crazy talk judging from the silence on their first party titles. If there is much left 3rd party wise, I'd have to imagine they are being held for a sort of relaunch period later this year to pair with Nintendo's titles.

I still remember this thread. I had no idea what some of these people were on back then but the thread is a pretty hilarious read now.

I do think the Wii U's best chance to succeed now is in the same boat as the Vita's in trying to survive. Ports coming down (well in this case it'd be going up) from the more successful system, it shouldn't be -too- difficult since the Wii U is effectively a console version of a DS.

But it doesn't seem like Nintendo is willing to embrace this strategy.

I love seeing my old posts sometimes where I'm just completely wrong, looking back its hard to imagine that things turned out so differently.

schuelma

Supposition:

Result:

Yeah I think that is possible.

crinale

Later on Capcom implied that Nitendo is hosting the server for MH3U HD, so it's actually like funding some budget of the project. SE also hinted that DQX's server is run by Nintendo (I have some doubts on this one, though).

In this regard, I think Nintendo is just continuing the same thing, for Beyo, W101, SMT X FE and so on. However for those projects Nintendo seems to be funding much more than former two examples (maybe entire project?).

donny2112

Usually when someone feels the need to say "I still remember this thread," it's like from years ago recalling some ancient discussion. This thread is 5.5 months ago, and had active discussion until 2.5 months ago. Maybe it's just a function of internet time >>>>> normal time or something, since it was like 40,000 NeoGAF threads ago, though.

Well its probably not crazy talk judging from the silence on their first party titles.

Was speaking more for the third-party side of that. Any talk of Nintendo holding back announcements of third-party games at this point is typically met with *tinfoil hat* declarations, so just wanted to preempt that talk, since the third-party talk was a part of the discussion.

Takuhi

Cause real game journalists are an extinct breed?

Or maybe real journalists do exist, and Nintendo won't let their top executives get anywhere near them. Do you really think anyone can just call up and get an interview with Reggie, Iwata, or Miyamoto? You think it's a coincidence that they're interviewed exclusively by sycophantic suck-ups and clueless-about-the-industry mainstream journalists?

Combative interviews with the gaming press that Nintendo has marginalized since before the Wii even launched is not part of the company's media strategy.

Riposte

What is Nintendo's plan for WiiU's non-gaming utility? That seemed to be the selling point, but I haven't heard if they are going to try to improve it.

Yeah, the big question isn't why Japanese third parties would be unwilling to support Wii U now; it's why they were, by most indications, unwilling to support it 12-24 months ago when the relevant decisions about allocation of development resources would have been made.

Well, at least I (would like to think I) was appropriately skeptical in that thread, given the lack of third-party announcements beyond MH3U and DQX. Sigh.

hiska-kun

Irrelevant Data. Tsutaya sales from Apr 08 - Apr 14

01 (01) [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo)
02 (__) [3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride To Victory!! (FuRyu)
03 (03) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)
04 (02) [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (Bandai Namco Games)
05 (05) [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 (Konami)
06 (04) [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 (Konami)
07 (07) [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment (Bandai Namco Games)
08 (06) [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (Square Enix)
09 (08) [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 (Bandai Namco Games)
10 (09) [PSV] Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Marvelous AQL)
11 (13) [PSV] Soul Sacrifice (Sony Computer Entertainment)
12 (15) [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies (Level 5)
13 (10) [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC (Marvelous AQL)
14 (17) [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Square Enix)
15 (16) [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 (Koei Tecmo)
16 (__) Friend Collection: New Life (DL version) (Nintendo)
17 (20) [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games)
18 (25) [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom)
19 (18) [PS3] Disgaea D2 (Nippon Ichi Software)
20 (14) [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix)

Top Bottom