• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2013 (Apr 01 - Apr 07)

donny2112

Yeah given that they're doing Vita/PS3 multiplat on Project Diva, it makes sense to differentiate the 3DS game

Maybe Project Diva isn't a game built on having a nice looking main character, but I sure thought it was. AKB definitely is, and the chibi 3DS version may actually never sell out its first shipment. At least Project Mirai was able to do that (+50%).
From Media Create 2012 Top 500,

132. [3DS] AKB48+Me (Kadokawa Shoten) {10/25/2012} - 78,811 / NEW (40,542, 28% => 145,000)

Well, maybe when there's a Nintendo device with a screen big enough to display no-chibi Miku in all her...vocaloidic fashion. Don't you remember? SEGA said they tried with a classic Diva look, but they thought it wasn't good on 3DS screen, so they went with the Mirai look.

Hmmm. Didn't know that. Why not just use the PSP models, then?

Mirai 2 will be one to watch, anyone think it has a chance of outselling Diva f Vita?

If Mirai 1 had great word of mouth, I would think they'd love to get the sequel.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe Project Diva isn't a game built on having a nice looking main character, but I sure thought it was. AKB definitely is, and the chibi 3DS version may actually never sell out its first shipment. At least Project Mirai was able to do that (+50%).

Hmmm. Didn't know that. Why not just use the PSP models, then?

Vocaloid Nendoroids are actually popular though. They're the second most popular piece of merchandizing after the video games.

27e52b6ef55099aea96531yu60.jpg

I agree that AKB48 was stupid since there was no popular established product line they were riffing on.

donny2112

Vocaloid Nendoroids are actually popular though. They're the second most popular piece of merchandizing after the video games.

http://www.abload.de/img/27e52b6ef55099aea96531yu60.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well if they're popular, then, yeah, it works out to let SEGA annualize the series and keep it fresh. Thought it'd more be going the direction of AKB48+Me, but maybe that's because the source material is actual girls and then converting them into Miis.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well if they're popular, then, yeah, it works out to let SEGA annualize the series and keep it fresh. Thought it'd more be going the direction of AKB48+Me, but maybe that's because the source material is actual girls and then converting them into Miis.

AKB is a pretty good example of a publisher having a target audience in mind and trying to bend the product into that perceived mindset.

Project Mirai is more Sega looking at the line-up of popular Miku products and then trying to fit them around in a way to maximize profit without sinking the brand in the video game space.

Like as another example of this, the arcade games have notably higher resolution models than any of the other Miku games, and actually have a third visual style that's different from Project Diva or Project Mirai (it looks a bit more doll like), even though they have the same proportions as the PlayStation releases. They could probably make a PS3 game out of it pretty easily, but they seem to have held off on that, probably to increase the value of the arcade games to people who like that style.

Road

Mirai 2 will be one to watch, anyone think it has a chance of outselling Diva f Vita?

If Mirai 1 had great word of mouth, I would think they'd love to get the sequel.

Considering Mirai sold well over time -- doubled its first week -- there are real chances it could.

Series sales (Media Create):

{2009-07-02} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA - 101,414 / 200,066
{2010-06-24} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA [Budget Price] - 28,938 / 95,279

{2010-07-29} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - 241,467 / 422,147
{2011-12-15} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd [Budget Price] - 9,761 / 84,043

{2011-11-10} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Extend - 184,673 / 341,594

{2012-08-30} [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f - 159,592 / 205,808
{2013-03-07} [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 110,229 / 147,959

{2012-03-08} [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 86,676 / 181,441

donny2112

AKB is a pretty good example of a publisher having a target audience in mind and trying to bend the product into that perceived mindset.

Project Mirai is more Sega looking at the line-up of popular Miku products and then trying to fit them around in a way to maximize profit without sinking the brand in the video game space.

Like as another example of this, the arcade games have notably higher resolution models than any of the other Miku games, and actually have a third visual style that's different from Project Diva or Project Mirai (it looks a bit more doll like), even though they have the same proportions as the PlayStation releases. They could probably make a PS3 game out of it pretty easily, but they seem to have held off on that, probably to increase the value of the arcade games to people who like that style.

See what I miss, when I'm not actually in Japan or following this stuff outside of the game releases! :lol

Thanks for the extra info! Makes much more sense in that light for SEGA to be taking the tack it is, then. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
See what I miss, when I'm not actually in Japan or following this stuff outside of the game releases! :lol

Thanks for the extra info! Makes much more sense in that light for SEGA to be taking the tack it is, then. :)

I don't blame you for assuming Sega was just making stupid decisions.

I mean it was their hallmark for quite some time. :p

Considering Mirai sold well over time -- doubled its first week -- there are real chances it could.

Series sales (Media Create):

{2009-07-02} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA - 101,414 / 200,066
{2010-06-24} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA [Budget Price] - 28,938 / 95,279

{2010-07-29} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - 241,467 / 422,147
{2011-12-15} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd [Budget Price] - 9,761 / 84,043

{2011-11-10} [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Extend - 184,673 / 341,594

{2012-08-30} [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f - 159,592 / 205,808
{2013-03-07} [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 110,229 / 147,959

{2012-03-08} [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai - 86,676 / 181,441

has there been no sign of a budget release of mirai?

judging from past performance sega would be foolish not to though they'll need to be quick

Isn't this a classic example of us looking at figures after stock has been cleared out months after release? I'm pretty sure Mirai hit the bomba bins pretty fast. It's like how Game and Wario will eventually sell over 100k.

DaBoss

Isn't this a classic example of us looking at figures after stock has been cleared out months after release? I'm pretty sure Mirai hit the bomba bins pretty fast. It's like how Game and Wario will eventually sell over 100k.

Source?

EDIT: Just realized that the sequel was announced, so this likely isn't the case.

serplux

Just eyeballing Amazon, I noticed that it still costs ¥4,754 new and ¥3,898 used, compared to its initial price of ¥6,000.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Project mirai is the one which will have a sequel, and project diva is the one which sega has outright said that a sequel will be difficult to justify, due to them investing too much money into it.

it sold over 70% sellthrough week 1, initial shipment cleared in a few weeks

donny2112

Isn't this a classic example of us looking at figures after stock has been cleared out months after release? I'm pretty sure Mirai hit the bomba bins pretty fast.

Not if selling out of its first shipment quickly is a sign of selling well.

Media Create 2012 Top 500
057. [3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (SEGA) {3/8/2012} - 181,441 / NEW (86,676, 70.73% => 123,000)

It hit ~125K after 4 weeks.

donny2112

Considering retailers set shipments and not publishers, doesn't really matter.

Publisher expectations don't matter when talking about whether a game got its sales on the backs of bomba bin sales. That was the idea put forward by airmangataosenai, which was totally unfounded as shown by the retailer shipments.

You were wondering about the same in the other thread, and I already told you that no, Mirai didn't underperform, since it sold about 70% of the first shipment in the first week, and went to more than double the first week sales, hence it had also legs. The sequel is there to show that Sega was actually happy of the sales, also because it reached a different target, as stated by the company. So please try again.

hiska-kun

What are you talking about?
Okey, this weekend I'll take pictures from different shops if this is what you want.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Is it me or does the gameplay for Mirai 2 look more like Diva anyway? I haven't played them, but they've changed the wheel from the first Project Mirai. I think that would lend credit to the fact that they just want to keep the different looks going if the gameplay is becoming similar to Diva.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Source?

EDIT: Just realized that the sequel was announced, so this likely isn't the case.

This, GAF told me that Mirai1 on 3DS was a flop and Sega was disappointed. Doesn't seem the case, considering the sequel just announced.

BriBri

Since Freakyforms and Dillon 2 are eligible for the Famitsu charts it's worth noting that Freakyforms rose from 3 at the weekend, 2 on Monday and is now 1, Dillon is a huge flop and has only just charted at 18.

Edit: obviously the above is the eShop charts and I'm not talking actual Famitsu.

Sandfox

This, GAF told me that Mirai1 on 3DS was a flop and Sega was disappointed. Doesn't seem the case, considering the sequel just announced.

When Project Diva Vita was released one of the devs said that the opening sales made it seem like it would difficult to make a sequel so you might be thinking of that game.

27e52b6ef55099aea96531yu60.jpg

I agree that AKB48 was stupid since there was no popular established product line they were riffing on.

Nendoroids with some NFC in a video game needs to be a thing

Hmm, you should probably fire your source with the shit info you're getting from him/her. There are people who actually live in Japan who post in this thread =p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hmm, you should probably fire your source with the shit info you're getting from him/her.

He won't, though. And he will repeat this again and again in the following months like an auto-convincement mantra XD

donny2112

Could Animal Crossing return to the top spot?!

Unless any new releases knock it out, probably. Luigi should still be dropping on its way to 1 million (or thereabouts), so it probably wouldn't stay at #1. Animal Crossing will cross 3.4m this week in Famitsu. :)

Top Bottom