• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2014 (Mar 31 - Apr 06)

orioto

Good Art™
I can't avoid noticing that ... i mean, Vita was dead and all and doing 15 times less than 3ds weekly, and everyone was having fun and saying there would be no return.

And now, on a normal week with no special release, the Vita is really not that far from the 3ds in sales.

But especially, the 3ds is going down, while the vita is going up. There is a clear transition incoming and everyone seems to ignore it :)

nampad

Weak week as expected after the tax raise. Vita still managed to stay comfortably over 20k though.

Hope the big publishers start recognizing it more, even if they just port things.

1st question: Quite possible. I see it happening fairly soon.

2nd question: I legit just bursted into laughter in the middle of class. Good one.

If the Wii U starts to track ahead of the PS4 in japan (which you think is very possible), how is those games possibly getting ported not a possibility, at the time they release its very possibly that the Wii U could have a bigger userbase than the PS4 in japan (again, knowing the sale ration of East/West markets for those two games could completely change my opinion of if its possible)

jOyeJzvOQuRpD.png

too soon?

That is only fun if the items are filled by what the console apologists say will "save" it.

SmokyDave

I can't avoid noticing that ... i mean, Vita was dead and all and doing 15 times less than 3ds weekly, and everyone was having fun and saying there would be no return.

And now, on a normal week with no special release, the Vita is really not that far from the 3ds in sales.

But especially, the 3ds is going down, while the vita is going up. There is a clear transition incoming and everyone seems to ignore it :)

It's the OLEDephant in the room.

...that's the best I've got.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
didn't they buy some third party developer or developing some Japanese games themselves? GAF would melt if the xbone outsells the PS4 lol

Doubt it considering what happened with the original Xbox, then the 360 and people already are laughing at the Xbox One with how large it is, lower specs and higher price. People this time around are going to be far more cautious thats for sure.

TGS will be where MS will have to convince folks. Unless they announce something earlier during the E3. But even then that would just be a single title and folks are concerned about what the overall lineup looks like.

3DS decline is very normal, the system is in its 4th year.

Eh. PS4 is pretty much completely following PS3s steps. Sell like crap for couple of years then get big games and then grind the sales for that about 10 million. I don't see the sudden doom and gloom for it. Yes it won't be a new PS2 and its sales will be crappy for long time but it's no WiiU either.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Wii didnt get versions of those games in part because they sold good enough to make a profit on the systems they were on. How much of the sales of FF and KH are from japan? If its the majority of sales for those games, its possible it could happen, if the PS4 continues to track this bad they could start thinking of ways to get more sales (if it sells more in the east then in the west that is, if huge amounts of those sales are from the west i dont think it will matter as the PS4 is selling good in the west). (btw, not port begging, i wouldnt buy either of them, just thinking about it from a buisness perspective).
Wii was outselling the PS3 by a HUGE margin before those games were released on PS3. The PS3 and Wii launched at the end of 2006, FFXIII launched at the end of 2009; 3 years of the Wii DESTROYING PS3 sales wise and they didn't switch consoles.

When FFXIII launched, Wii had outsold PS3 2:1 in Japan (9.4 vs 4.3 million IIRC).

What makes you think they will switch consoles now?

agree with what you said, i dont think its likely for those two games to get put on the Wii U, but if the ps4 continues to track like this, its possible that the Wii U could theoretically have a larger userbase than the PS4 when those games release

I might agree if those games where launching only in Japan.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Not happening. Unlike WiiU, PS4's worldwide sales are great. If you suggesting a WiiU version on top of PS4/Xbone, then it's like asking for a PS3 and Xbox version.

Not to mention that while PS4 sales are bad, it is because there's almost nothing out on it that appeals to Japanese audience. Yet. If there's nothing to play, why would anyone buy it. It's a genuine case of PS4 has no games in Japan.

It's also hard to compare PS4 to WiiU, that actually had great launch titles and a better release schedule. If anyone didn't see bad sales coming with this setup, then they must truly been blind.

The sad truth, it's not even a joke.

Well then I guess many of your fellow Sony fans are blind because before launch many were claiming ps4 was to be Japan's savior and some are still claiming it'll do better than the ps3.
Regarding launch titles I don't understand what your point is. Should Sony get a pass for having a bad launch line up? Its not like Sony didn't know the ps4 was launching.

KoopaTheCasual

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106653512&postcount=137

As of last week, launch aligned, it was PS4 491,889 vs Wii U 730,490. Wii U tracking ahead of PS4 by 49%

This week it's PS4 506,739 vs Wii U 747,125. Wii U tracking ahead by 47%.

Obviously it's way too early to call at this point. But a few months ago many people on this board were convinced PS4 would obliterate Wii U's LTD Japan sales within a couple weeks. I'd say all bets are off.
To align launches completely ignores 2 incredibly crucial features that render this comparison moot. 1) Nintendo holiday release (where, historically, Nintendo recieves the greatest bump by far) and 2) Software lineup.

The next mainlin Yakuza, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty Warriors, Tales of, Ys, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid will all land on the PS4 and miss the WiiU. Half of those are already officially confirmed (for the PS4), and they're all still years away. And these are even coming from companies that are making ventures in mobile, but have expressed desire to continue making high profile releases to stay relevant.

It's no question that the support will come for the PS4. And what of the Wii U after Kart and Smash (which is arriving at least 3 months after the 3DS version)? Zelda is 2015? The outlook in Japan is terrible on all fronts, but it's pretty ridiculous to think that every single remaining high profile 3rd party Japanese title will inexplicably evaporate before they release.

Okay, but now the next time we can cross something out is like Fall 2015.
It's sad how true this is.

Tratorn

Was there a PS4-bundle with Natural Doctrine or why is the difference in sales between famitsu and MC charts so big?

In famitsus ranking the PS4-version sold the best (7.6k) while it's not even in the MC charts (so < 6k). The sales of the Vita-version are almost the same in both charts, so this is kind of strange.

Shinriji

The funny thing is that Vita managed that with bottom of the barrel support from the major players. With some big games, the vita could be so much more.

QaaQer

what apologists, there are no 'exclusive' games for the first year, deep down doesn't even have a launch date

Apologist: a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
"an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s"

I mean, are there people who are unduly enthusiastic and actually believe the ps4 will be successful. I have not seen any Any Reason the Wii U *Wont* Dominate Japan threads for the ps4.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The funny thing is that Vita managed that with bottom of the barrel support from the major players. With some big games, the vita could be so much more.

As mentioned before in the past. The PSP had a similar type of life cycle the Vita is going through. Eventually the PSP became the PS2 and lots of smaller devs moved over to it. Its starting to happen with the PSV now with it becoming the PS3 and smaller devs are starting to wander over. Lots of Vita titles coming out in Japan and will continue seeing what the trend has been.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
3DS decline is very normal, the system is in its 4th year.

Nintendo predicted sales would increase year-over-year from 2012->2013. (14 million -> 18 million IIRC). Instead they unexpectedly dropped to 13.5 million.

3DS sales peaked in 2012 despite a 2013 filled with megaton releases like Monster Hunter 4, Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc.

So yeah, the 3DS overall sales trajectory is somewhat worrisome and took a lot of people by surprise. I don't think it's fair to pretend like this is what we should have expected all along.

Tripon

Okay, but now the next time we can cross something out is like Fall 2015.

Isn't that the issue? Sony released a system that had no first party support outside of Knack and Killzone so far. And nothing from SCEJ that they can point to and say, "Hey Japan, that's the game you're going to be buying in 3 months."

Roboleon might as well add the "passage of time" at this rate.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Haha I love how thinly veiled the "revenge" chalkboard is.

Seeing the Vita within a hop skip and a jump of 3DS each week lately has been pretty bizarre considering how Media Create threads have been for the past couple years. Japan's console industry is in one hell of a rut.

If the Wii U starts to track ahead of the PS4 in japan (which you think is very possible), how is those games possibly getting ported not a possibility, at the time they release its very possibly that the Wii U could have a bigger userbase than the PS4 in japan (again, knowing the sale ration of East/West markets for those two games could completely change my opinion of if its possible)

I cannot see SE putting effort into porting their flagship titles to a less powerful system with a smaller WW userbase. The only way this happens is that Nintendo moneyhats the heck out of SE. I wouldn't even want them to. Anything that will further slow the release of these titles would be dumb on SE's part. Just my opinion...

KoopaTheCasual

Isn't that the issue? Sony released a system that had no first party support outside of Knack and Killzone so far. And nothing from SCEJ that they can point to and say, "Hey Japan, that's the game you're going to be buying in 3 months."

Roboleon might as well add the "passage of time" at this rate.
/dead

TheChaos0

This isn't a worldwide sales thread.

It's a Japanese sales thread, however you can't ignore the worldwide element of franchisers with a global appeal. Even if you shut your ears and close your eyes, it's far too late for (at least) FFXV and KHIII to go onto WiiU. The ship has sailed a long time ago.

And I like how all of a sudden Wii U had great launch titles and a plethora of games. Sounds a little revisionist to me.

Compared to PS4.

What also seems revisionist is the "everybody was expecting PS4 to sell this badly" mantra emerging the last few weeks.

Maybe you should re-read the first two PS4 media create threads. I don't recall many people/anyone saying that the second coming of DS is upon us. If anything the bad attach rate on non bumdled software was not painting a promising outlook.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106653512&postcount=137

As of last week, launch aligned, it was PS4 491,889 vs Wii U 730,490. Wii U tracking ahead of PS4 by 49%

This week it's PS4 506,739 vs Wii U 747,125. Wii U tracking ahead by 47%.

Obviously it's way too early to call at this point. But a few months ago many people on this board were convinced PS4 would obliterate Wii U's LTD Japan sales within a couple weeks. I'd say all bets are off.
"Holiday boost"

didn't know FFXV/KH III are still exclusives

Well to the Japanese it pretty much will be :p

PS4 number's pretty much expected and they deserved this
Every interview with SCEJA always implies that the next-gen development is moving fast but none of new games is revealed except musou port.

Tripon

I cannot see SE putting effort into porting their flagship titles to a less powerful system with a smaller WW userbase. The only way this happens is that Nintendo moneyhats the heck out of SE. I wouldn't even want them to. Anything that will further slow the release of these titles would be dumb on SE's part. Jump my opinion...

FFXV won't get ported. I can see KH III simply because there's already a fanbase on Nintendo consoles, and KH III is the direct sequel to a game released on the 3DS. (Can we talk about S-E's insistence that KH jump from platform to platform with each new game? Talk about maddening.)

What's more likely to happen is that we get the updated versions of what Crystal Chronicles and the like. Maybe a HD version of Bravely Default or something like that by Silicon Studios whose Yebis 2 middleware engine looks great on a technical level, and I hope people start using.

Top Bottom