• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2014 (Mar 31 - Apr 06)

RalchAC

I would imagine that it doesn't include handhelds either based on the position of Mario Kart. Goes without saying that pack-ins aren't included, explaining Wii Sports.

Even then, I'd like to see how they calculated some of the totals. Elder scrolls seems sort of low, given that Skyrim moved 20M copies, and Oblivion is somewhere over 5M. Even with all of the releases, I have a hard time believing that WWE did better than that.

Well, if its a value chart it's obvious that pack-ins aren't included. Games heavily bundled (Uncharted 3 or GT5) won't appear here and others which has sold at lot but at cheaper prices won't be on the list either.

So the IPs that we're seeing in the chart are probably the ones that sell a lot and stay at high prices for a long time. CoD prices drop really slow, I sold a CoD:BO2 copy last summer and GS gave my 40€ in-store credit. Same happens with AssCreed, GTA, FIFA...

DaBoss

Why not? Its the exact reason why shit isnt selling. Not that hard to understand. People wont buy something that does not have anything they are interested in playing now or later down the road.

No amount of marketing is going to change the fact that the table set out for current upcoming releases is pretty bare and generally folks here dont give two shits about Western games either for the most part so its not like the Japanese release of Infamous SS is going to be a huge help for example.
Because this situation should have been avoided all together.

It's like saying Nintendo's lack of sustainable release schedule is the reason for the Wii U is selling poorly. That's the reason for poor sales, but it shouldn't be used to excuse the Wii U's poor sales.

Just because there is a reason doesn't make anything just okay like your original post implies. I guess there are situations like natural disasters which would affect sales greatly, but hopefully that does not happen.

Of course I expect the PS4's release a schedule to be much more consistent next year, but Sony shouldn't have launched it with a terrible release schedule.

mclem

In the west people mostly buy multiplats. Here in Gaf we talk about exclusives all time (Titanfall, Infamous etc) but in reality exclusives actually make a very small part of overall software sales. Here a slide from a Ubisoft financial report showing best selling franchises at retail (NA and EU) last gen:

ubisofttop20franchises-600x447.png

That's actually from Ubisoft?

I draw your attention to the 'Lego' entry. Publisher.

Now, that's a common mistake among folks; fair enough. Traveller's Tales are the developer, there's another developer called Telltale Games, it's not an unreasonable mistake to make from time to time.

I do expect official publisher reports to be a bit more accurate, though. And it's not just getting the wrong expansion of "TTG", here - they're the developer, not the publisher, anyway!

(What are NB and F, by the way? Can't quite deduce it)

Interesting that they segregate "Mario Kart" from "Mario". I think that's reasonable; they do give markedly different gameplay experiences. Trouble is, I'd expect even more subdivision after that!

Shengar

Of course I expect the PS4's release a schedule to be much more consistent next year, but Sony shouldn't have launched it with a terrible release schedule.

I don't know this for sure but I get the feeling that most SCEJ resources being put to support Vita this year. Three games as far as I know is in (co)development, Gravity Daze 2, Oreshika 2, and Freedom Wars. Maybe after they done with those three, SCEJ will put their focus on PS4 instead, hopefully.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's actually from Ubisoft?

I draw your attention to the 'Lego' entry. Publisher.

Now, that's a common mistake among folks; fair enough. Traveller's Tales are the developer, there's another developer called Telltale Games, it's not an unreasonable mistake to make from time to time.

I do expect official publisher reports to be a bit more accurate, though. And it's not just getting the wrong expansion of "TTG", here - they're the developer, not the publisher, anyway!

(What are NB and F, by the way? Can't quite deduce it)

Interesting that they segregate "Mario Kart" from "Mario". I think that's reasonable; they do give markedly different gameplay experiences. Trouble is, I'd expect even more subdivision after that!
New Brand (as of Gen 7, though they're being a bit generous to Guitar Hero) and Franchise.

LEGO obviously isn't a /new/ brand, but modern LEGO games in their current state are largely new to Gen 7.

Pardon me if this sentiment has already been echoed around here, but I just peeked into the thread, saw the horrible numbers, saw the explanation, and am fairly unconcerned.

These numbers will rebound across the board in a week or two, I believe. An increase from 5 to 8 percent in a VAT isn't great, but it isn't significant enough to severely suppress demand on an ongoing basis. I think its coming simply shoved some sales into the prior week or two as a method of avoiding the tax, but people will soon enough resume their typical spending habits, although at a slightly reduced rate. I don't see a real cause for alarm here, at least not yet.

Well, if its a value chart it's obvious that pack-ins aren't included. Games heavily bundled (Uncharted 3 or GT5) won't appear here and others which has sold at lot but at cheaper prices won't be on the list either.

So the IPs that we're seeing in the chart are probably the ones that sell a lot and stay at high prices for a long time. CoD prices drop really slow, I sold a CoD:BO2 copy last summer and GS gave my 40€ in-store credit. Same happens with AssCreed, GTA, FIFA...

mario kart was bundled either with the wii or with the handle.. still its on..wiiplay or wii sports resort both are not..

also what is mario. is it nsmb+mario galaxy? is mario party or laper mario included? mkeii is not included?

the chart doesnt make much sense

saichi

Pardon me if this sentiment has already been echoed around here, but I just peeked into the thread, saw the horrible numbers, saw the explanation, and am fairly unconcerned.

These numbers will rebound across the board in a week or two, I believe. An increase from 5 to 8 percent in a VAT isn't great, but it isn't significant enough to severely suppress demand on an ongoing basis. I think its coming simply shoved some sales into the prior week or two as a method of avoiding the tax, but people will soon enough resume their typical spending habits, although at a slightly reduced rate. I don't see a real cause for alarm here, at least not yet.

not sure if you are serious

heidern

Poor hardware sales could lead to software cancellations so things could get worse just like with the Wii U.

not sure if you are serious

Why wouldn't I be? I could very clearly be missing something here, but it seems we're talking about a net 3% increase in the price to the consumer. That will naturally have a negative effect on demand, but not to a huge degree. I think it's entirely reasonable to expect sales to recover from these levels. Again, unless I'm missing something and these levels are actually close to normal already. But the way I'm reading it, it just seems some sales were shifted forward to get in before the new tax rate went into effect, which makes the impact of the tax abnormally large for this week. Over the weeks ahead, a new normal for consumer demand should emerge.

Poor hardware sales could lead to software cancellations so things could get worse just like with the Wii U.

WiiU got so worse because it had next to no third party support even in its future. The PS4 evidently has third party support. Its just a matter of time of when those games come/announced.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WiiU got so worse because it had next to no third party support even in its future. The PS4 evidently has third party support. Its just a matter of time of when those games come/announced.

If you are talking about the really major franchises that need Western sales to break a profit, sure.

If you mean the bread and butter mid tier Japanese-centric titles..I'm not 100% sure.

TeddyBoy

Why wouldn't I be? I could very clearly be missing something here, but it seems we're talking about a net 3% increase in the price to the consumer. That will naturally have a negative effect on demand, but not to a huge degree. I think it's entirely reasonable to expect sales to recover from these levels. Again, unless I'm missing something and these levels are actually close to normal already. But the way I'm reading it, it just seems some sales were shifted forward to get in before the new tax rate went into effect, which makes the impact of the tax abnormally large for this week. Over the weeks ahead, a new normal for consumer demand should emerge.

A new baseline will emerge yes, for most systems it will be the same or slightly less than their earlier baselines. The PS4 hasn't hit it's baseline yet and the massive drop off this week compared to last week is not a good sign for the short term when the only upcoming game appealing to the Japanese is FF14, a port of a six month old game you could already get in Beta anyway.

A 5K baseline for PS4 this summer is quite possible.

If you are talking about the really major franchises that need Western sales to break a profit, sure.

If you mean the bread and butter mid tier Japanese-centric titles..I'm not 100% sure.

Well of course the big ones like FF, KH, MGS and RE will come. I have no doubt that Yakuza, Tales and stuff like DW and WE will also come to the PS4 eventually.

The niche studios certainly have games coming for PS4. Falcom have one iirc, as do Nippon Ichi and presumably GUSt will follow as well.

Namco showed that Gundam and Idom@ster were coming as well.

Whats the worry is not if PS4 is going to get the games, it will, but I'm afraid the number of games may be less and thats not to say that the missing games will go to other platforms. Simply put the output of some pubs may be less in comparison to last gen.

sörine

Banned
The way things are looking now I would think Vita would be the more attractive platform for Japanese centric PS3 developers to transition to. Unless you're targeting the west there's not much point in moving to PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well of course the big ones like FF, KH, MGS and RE will come. I have no doubt that Yakuza, Tales and stuff like DW and WE will also come to the PS4 eventually.

The niche studios certainly have games coming for PS4. Falcom have one iirc, as do Nippon Ichi and presumably GUSt will follow as well.

Whats the worry is not if PS4 is going to get the games, it will, but I'm afraid the number of games may be less and thats not to say that the missing games will go to other platforms. Simply put the output of some pubs may be less in comparison to last gen.
I think you've got the crux of the issue here.

There's the mega tier (FF/KH/MGS/RE), and there's the mini-tier (Falcom/Nippon Ichi/GUST/low budget Namco game), but there's almost nothing left in the mid tier.

Dynasty Warriors, Yakuza, Tales, and Pro Evo I'd all consider to be mid-tier products development wise, but some of those do closer to top tier sales wise in Japan.

As a whole though, outside of the four listed there, I can think of very few games that I'd even really expect to show up on PS4 in the mid-tier at the moment.

It is ultimately a game line-up, but you're right, a lot of games have ultimately just evaporated as resources shifted elsewhere, either condensing into the big games (MGS4 rather famously ate up much of Team Silent and they haven't really gone back, but this has happened countless times), or going into small projects for things like mobile.

sörine;107807454 said:
The way things are looking now I would think Vita would be the more attractive platform for Japanese centric PS3 developers to transition to. Unless you're targeting the west there's not much point in moving to PS4.
Yes, as a whole I'd agree, which to me leaves an interesting scenario when that doesn't get a follow-up.

It's pretty much all on 4DS at that point as far as traditional platforms go, or trying to chase the remaining splinters to wherever they may be.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

That was kind of my point. The mid tier is shrinking and the incentives to put efforts on PS4 is not high at the moment.

RalchAC

sörine;107807454 said:

I think Sony will do a similar strategy with the PS4 as they did the Vita last year. Releasing some tools to make porting between PS3 and Vita gave it a healthy release schedule. I think they'll give devs the tools they need and encourage up-ports from the Vita to the PS4.

SCEJ really needs to get their asses together this gen though. They need to add as much value to their platforms as they can.

Retail releases as whole are in decline in general. Chris pointed this earlier

A big problem with Japanese dedicated gaming market is that last years the number or retail released games is shrinking and sales are concentrated among the bigger sellers.

If we take for example last 5 years and counting out limited editions and budgets re-releases this is the situation:

2009 - 838
2010 - 758
2011 - 698
2012 - 656
2013 - 599

Previous golden years are even worse and I don't see 2014 reversing the trend.

dolemite

Releasing Vita ports on PS4 is a bandaid solution. The system needs publishers to take risks and develop original games.

That's a strong WW trend. Japan may even be moving in that direction slower than the rest of the world looking at those numbers. Western development killed off mid-tier last gen

Yeah. Considering the size Japanese market they still have damn large amount of releases compared to west. You really don't have games in west where you can sell 100k in retail and be satisfied. In japan you still have tons of games selling something like 50k and apparently making some money as they continue to release them.

You are right about the tax increase, people won't stop buy almost $200 handhelds because of $5 more, or $300 to $400 consoles because of $10.

However, this week hardware sales are already close to the expected. Sales will likely either be the same or lower than this week in the following weeks whenever there are no significant game releases that may provide small bumps.

RalchAC

Yeah. Considering the size Japanese market they still have damn large amount of releases compared to west. You really don't have games in west where you can sell 100k in retail and be satisfied. In japan you still have tons of games selling something like 50k and apparently making some money as they continue to release them.

Well, I think people in the West is more used to DD only games, especially on the PC market.

You are right about the tax increase, people won't stop buy almost $200 handhelds because of $5 more, or $300 to $400 consoles because of $10.

However, this week hardware sales are already close to the expected. Sales will likely either be the same or lower than this week in the following weeks whenever there are no significant game releases that may provide small bumps.

Well, if you were on the fence and there was a tax increase in 2 weeks you'll sure buy it before it's applied, even if you're going to save 10$. It's an instinct xD

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./28. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
22./25. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking The New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040)
23./10. [PSV] Hakuoki SSL: Sweet School Life # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2014.03.27} (¥6.090)
24./29. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770)
25./12. [PS3] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥8.190)
26./07. [3DS] New Love Plus+ # <ETC> (Konami) {2014.03.27} (¥5.985)
27./26. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥6.983)
28./27. [3DS] Hero Bank <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.550)
29./33. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
30./36. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)
31./32. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice &#916; <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.03.06} (¥4.980)
32./34. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
33./00. [PS4] Natural Doctrine: Taking Out Your Pack <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.04.03} (¥8.618)
34./20. [PSV] Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of the Land of Twilight # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.03.27} (¥6.090)
35./40. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.12.05} (¥6.090)
36./19. [PSV] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥7.140)
37./00. [PS4] Natural Doctrine <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.04.03} (¥7.538)
38./00. [PS3] Natural Doctrine <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.04.03} (¥7.538)
39./39. [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985)
40./43. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980)
41./38. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
42./49. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
43./31. [3DS] Retro Game Challenge: 3-Choume no Arino # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.03.20} (¥5.480)
44./42. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
45./45. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.30} (¥7.980)
46./44. [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600)
47./00. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 # <ACT> (Sega) {2013.11.28} (¥6.279)
48./41. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 2: Deluxe Package <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.229)
49./48. [3DS] Disney Magic World # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480)
50./47. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 11
PSV - 10
PS4 - 5
WIU - 3
PSP - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    567.000 |  1.005.000 |    647.000 | 12.308.000 | 13.688.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough {2014.04.10}

[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen - 70%
[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen - 70%
[PSV] Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai: Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters - 70%
[PS3] Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai: Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunters - 50-60%
[360] Titalfall - 60%
[PS3] Dream C Club Gogo. - 50%
[3DS] Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Kasukabe Eiga Stars! - 30-40%
[3DS] A Penguin's Troubles + Bakushou! Roulette Battle!! < 5%

new releases

{2014.04.14}

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.394)
[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn [Collector's Edition] <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥10.584)

{2014.04.17}

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3: Naruhodo Selection # <ADV> (Capcom) (¥4.309)
[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3: Naruhodo Selection [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.389)
[3DS] Detective Conan: Phantom Rapsody <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥4.936)

[PSP] Rewrite <ADV> (Prototype) (¥6.264)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 2 # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 2 [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden 2/Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.504)

Soriku

Releasing Vita ports on PS4 is a bandaid solution. The system needs publishers to take risks and develop original games.

Band aid solution sounds pretty good if notable games for PS4 will be released a year or two or more from now.

It's either that or long(er) droughts.

Foshy

I wonder how big the Titanfall shipment was. Sure, it's on 360, but Japan has shown that it likes military FPS and the mechas should be appealing too. Something like 30k first week doesn't sound impossible (and it might even sell a few consoles, lol)

I wonder how big the Titanfall shipment was. Sure, it's on 360, but Japan has shown that it likes military FPS and the mechas should be appealing too. Something like 30k first week doesn't sound impossible (and it might even sell a few consoles, lol)

last year the top seller game for 360 didn't reach 30k

Spiegel

Interesting comparison re: single platform vs multiplatform

Famitsu

Sengoku Basara 4 (PS3)

12.024 / 203.347

Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3+PSV)

26.667 / 275.162

Takao

Banned
Interesting comparison re: single platform vs multiplatform

Famitsu

Sengoku Basara 4 (PS3)

12.024 / 203.347

Samurai Warriors 4 (PS3+PSV)

26.667 / 275.162

Basara 4 not being on Vita seemed like Capcom being Capcom and thinking there's only 1 handheld on the market. We all know there's going to be a SB4 Utage/Super/Whatever release. Will they choose Vita, PS4, or even Wii U to compliment the PS3 release? Only they know.

Top Bottom