• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2014 (Mar 31 - Apr 06)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I still don't understand how Ps2 sold like 3 million in its first year with such a mediocre lineup. PS2 was truly a sales monster. Though it did have a lot of releases and some franchises were much more popular in the past.

It was a DVD player, had all 3rd party support and way less competition than systems nowadays - home consoles are competing with way more popular handhelds and smartphones for leisure time and support right now.

goomba

Banned
I still don't understand how Ps2 sold like 3 million in its first year with such a mediocre lineup. PS2 was truly a sales monster. Though it did have a lot of releases and some franchises were much more popular in the past.

It played DVD movies and Playstation 1 games.

L~A

Well, situation was quite different.

PS2 : launched way before the next Nintendo system, follow-up to the PS1 which was really sucessful with both players and 3rd-party publishers, and lots of game coming... and consoles not dead yet. + DVD playback, which was a big thing back in the days (even though it sucked on the PS2).

Compare that to the Wii U : first to launch, but 0 3rd party support, very bleak future even in 2012, few games announced (even for Nintendo).

And PS4 : launched 1 years after the Wii U, which is struggling, market moved to handhelds and mobile, 3rd-party support should be there but... very few games have been announced (3 games since TGS 13?), and western-focused console. Oh, and the PS3 is still getting lots of games, so yeah.

It's not THAT surprising the PS2 sold as much as it did, as players expectations were pretty high back then. My guess is, both the PS3 and Wii U launch dampened those expectations, which is why PS4 is getting such slow sales.

so you are sure no games will come for PS4 ?
c'mon, maybe you forgot the previous home launch ?

PS2 released games
W1 - 10 titles
W2 - 1 title
W3 - 0 titles
W4 - 0 titles
W5 - 2 titles
W6 - 4 games
W7 - 0 titles

Total : 17 titles

PS3 released games
W1 - 5 titles
W2 - 1 title
W3 - 1 title
W4 - 0 titles
W5 - 0 titles
W6 - 1 title
W7 - 1 title

Total : 9 titles

PS4 released games
W1 - 12 titles
W2 - 0 titles
W3 - 0 titles
W4 - 0 titles
W5 - 2 titles
W6 - 0 titles
W7 - 2 titles

Total : 16 titles

GC released games
W1 - 3 titles
W2 - 0 titles
W3 - 0 titles
W4,W5,W6 - 0 titles
W7 - 1 title

Total : 4 titles

Wii released games
W1 - 16 titles
W2 - 0 titles
W3 - 3 titles
W4 - 2 titles
W5 - 0 titles
W6 - 1 title
W7 - 1 title

Total : 23 titles

Wii U released games
W1 - 12 titles
W2 - 1 title
W3 - 3 titles
W4 - 0 titles
W5 - 0 titles
W6 - 0 titles
W7 - 0 titles

Total : 16 titles

Home systems always start slow in Japan, no matter which platform is, that's what I was trying to say; and also if the situation don't change this autumn, of course I won't use the "wait for the games" excuse...

My God, did you need all that to show that you weren't capable of understanding what I said?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me the issue isn't that the PS4 doesn't have new games releasing now, but that it doesn't have a strong line-up announced for the future as so far there has been zero change on that front.

The 3DS did (relatively speaking) all right despite a lack of games because it was immediately apparent it was going to be the dominant receiver of support.

None of the failures to follow it have shown that.

L~A

To me the issue isn't that the PS4 doesn't have new games releasing now, but that it doesn't have a strong line-up announced for the future as so far there has been zero change on that front.

The 3DS did (relatively speaking) all right despite a lack of games because it was immediately apparent it was going to be the dominant receiver of support.

Exactly. I keep thinking about Enterbrain's big boss and his "oh, there's lots of secrets PS4 games being worked on! ["secret PS4 games has become a new meme, imo] You'll be surprised at how fast 3rd-parties are switching to the PS4!".

Well... we're certainly not witnessing that at all, to be honest. I think TGS14 will be a big test...

At the moment, PS4 kinda looks like the Vita after launch : rather good start, but sales started tanking real fast, while 3rd-parties were still busy with the PSP. I have no reason to believe publishers aren't gonna move to PS4 at one point (not like they got many options for the home console market :p), but they're certainly taking their sweet sweet time.

And in the mean time, and the home console market in Japan just keep on shriking like there's no tomorrow.

RalchAC

Crap forgot about change of time few weeks ago :D

That happened to me the first two weeks after the hour changed in Spain too. Media Create numbers were posted at 14.00 before. Since March 21st they're posted at 15.00

Which other countries change the hour in order to lower energetic consumption?

On-topic: Instead of a list of games already released, it'd be more interesting to see a "games announced" list. I mean "real announcements", no the "yes, I guess we'll go to the PS4 sometime in the next 3 years." we've seen so far.

Vita is not dominant but it was considered dead, and now is getting plenty of support.

L Thammy

Vita is not dominant but it was considered dead, and now is getting plenty of support.

There's a few big titles that are carried over from the PSP (Persona, God Eater), but some of the big ones have left (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear). Aside from that, you have a lot of niche support that is selling largely to the existing audience and are themselves not really drawing new people to buy the platform, which I think is the topic here.

That happened to me the first two weeks after the hour changed in Spain too. Media Create numbers were posted at 14.00 before. Since March 21st they're posted at 15.00

Which other countries change the hour in order to lower energetic consumption?

Most of Europe does

test_account

XP-39C²
There's a few big titles that are carried over from the PSP (Persona, God Eater), but most of those have left. Aside from that, you have a lot of niche support that is selling largely to the existing audience and are themselves not really drawing new people to buy the platform, which I think is the topic here.
Vita is up year over year, so the newer games must have some draw, getting newer users in. But hes right about increased support. I remember back in the early Vita days, seeing comments like "what games?" when people talked about that Vita needed more games and such. I also remember seeing some comments/questions if even niche developers were moving away from the Vita.

Foshy

Robot Game PS3 (no idea how it's called sorry) - 158410
Robot Game PSV - 125048

3DS(24044)
Vita(22865)
PS4(12053)
PS3(8388)
PSP(1578)
Wii U(5693)
Wii(178)
Xbox 360(144)

SmokyDave

Champagne this week! :p
.....Meh. Whatever.

Robot Game PSV - 125048

3DS(24044)
Vita(22865)
PS4(12053)
PS3(8388)
PSP(1578)
Wii U(5693)
Wii(178)
Xbox 360(144)
Is this Media Create?

Fucking Media Create.

BlackJace

Robot Game PSV - 125048

3DS(24044)
Vita(22865)
PS4(12053)
PS3(8388)
PSP(1578)
Wii U(5693)
Wii(178)
Xbox 360(144)

Heh it does have an odd name. Translated, I think it's "The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Time-Space Purgatory".

saichi

I did not mention before, but also Saturn had a slow start, and we are talking about a platform which had more than 1000 released games in just 4 years

and when was the last system with over 1000 released games in 4 years after Saturn? Those days are over.

Vita is up year over year, so the newer games must have some draw, getting newer users in. But hes right about increased support. I remember back in the early Vita days, seeing comments like "what games?" when people talked about that Vita needed more games and such. I also remember seeing some comments/questions if even niche developers were moving away from the Vita.

not really. depending on how you define new users. PSV+PSP are down YOY.

Heh it does have an odd name. Translated, I think it's "The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Time-Space Purgatory".

Time Hell would be better. Or simply Hell.

It's better left untranslated, unless you wanna push it, because it is a "pun" with no equivalent in english that'd sound as awesome.

Longsword

Those are some grim numbers. Japanese games market has truly transformed. It is still HUGE market (11 Billion a year), but Smartphones alone (not all of mobile, just smartphones) is half of that at 5.4 Billion, poised for a strong growth for the foreseeable future:

http://www.serkantoto.com/2014/03/25/japan-smartphone-mobile-game-market/

So Japanese are still spending vast amounts of money in games, it's just that their focus have shifted radically. Plenty of money to be made, just not in console games (at the moment).

Top Bottom