• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

That there should have been a solution in place to be able to transfer over all of your PSP games to the Vita.
I don't know how, and it really doesn't matter if I come up with a half baked answer. That is 100% on Sony, and it should have been done at launch. I understand why they stepped away from UMD, it was necessary, but then they expect people to buy their new system and leave behind a still thriving one? Yeah, not smart.

Comes to mind that they could have included in the box an external reader or something to transfer games from UMDs to proprietary Vita's memory cards - I reckon they could have produced something like this for cheap, say 30$ max -, but perhaps they feared that could have been exploited for piracy/homebrew purposes and bite them in the ass.

PSP also has momentum now. But only time will tell.

I don't mean to dimInish PSP's late generation resurgence, but both the DS and the PS2 finished the generation with sizable cumulative leads over their competitors in hardware and software sales (and did it worldwide).

The PSP finished the generation in Japan with a flourish, but I don't think its momentum is analogous. It led the market in a weekly sense in Japan for a while, but that wasn't really what I meant by "market-leading." Sorry for the confusion.

Comes to mind that they could have included in the box an external reader or something to transfer games from UMDs to proprietary Vita's memory cards - I reckon they could have produced something like this for cheap, say 30$ -, but perhaps they feared that could have been exploited for piracy/homebrew purposes and bite them in the ass.

Or perhaps do a simple send in your UMDs and get a free download

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't mean to dimInish PSP's late generation resurgence, but both the DS and the PS2 finished the generation with sizable cumulative leads over their competitors in hardware and software sales (and did it worldwide).

The PSP finished the generation in Japan with a flourish, but I don't think its momentum is analogous. It led the market in a weekly sense in Japan for a while, but that wasn't really what I meant by "market-leading." Sorry for the confusion.
To my point it doesnt really matter if it is/was market leading or not, it only matters that the sales improves as time goes by. It is not like i'm expecting the Vita to suddently starting outselling the 3DS like crazy, so that the Vita overtakes 3DS' LTD within 2 years or so. And with PSP, even if it didnt have a chance of cracking DS' LTD, the PSP turned out to be a very viable platforms, both for consumers and developers.

Coming of momentum is definitely not a bad things, i'm not saying anything against that, so i agree with that. I'm just saying that i dont think that momentum always mean that much. Another example is the Wii. It didnt come of any momentum, yet it was a smashing success from day 1. The most important thing is to make a product interesting. Doing that is not always easy, but it is something that can be changed as time goes by, it doesnt necessairly have to be there from day 1.

That would have been a nightmare in term of logistics to be fair.

Just do a reasonable one off charge to cover the costs of running the scheme i cant see it being too difficult and it also takes the discs out of circulation reducing the number that could end up as used games further down the line

Or perhaps do a simple send in your UMDs and get a free download

Yeah, it may work so, but as far as I'm concerned I would never send my games via mail unless I could track them - in fact I didn't try and get replaced my faulty Guitar hero 3 copy for Wii as I read many parcels apparently disappeared into thin air without trace - and if Sony had to refund all postal charges - and I mean traceable shipments of course - for each PSP game being sent to them, I reckon it would cost to them quite a bunch of money.

To my point it doesnt really matter if it is/was market leading or not, it only matters that the sales improves as time goes by.
It's actually quite important, because in order for those hardware sales to improve, software has to be released that will drive hardware sales. If that software wasn't in the pipeline prior to its launch, how likely is it that such software will begin development AFTER the system stumbled on release?

Bringing up the Wii undermines your original point, because that platform did not remotely stumble out of the gate.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's actually quite important, because in order for those hardware sales to improve, software has to be released that will drive hardware sales. If that software wasn't in the pipeline prior to its launch, how likely is it that such software will begin development AFTER the system stumbled on release?

Bringing up the Wii undermines your original point, because that platform did not remotely stumble out of the gate.
I was thinking more about long term. If a predecessor has great success, it is likely that you will see more support to begin with indeed. But long term support can change along the way for various of reasons.

How likely it is, i dont know. Only time will tell how much software that is in the pipeline when they get announced. We'll see what happens :)

The Wii example was just to show that momentum from a predecessing system doesnt always matter. I could use the PS3 as an example as well. What matters the most is that a product is interesting, and it is possible to make a product interesting again even after it has been released. For a gaming system, these things can be games, price reduction or a redesign. All these things can happen regardless of how the predecessor did.

Cygnus X-1

If what I've read comes close to reality 200k first day with additional 50k waiting.

Thanks for the information. 250k for the entire first week is what one could expect. If the first shipment will be sold out entirely, then it is quite legit to expect the game reach 350-400k LTD and maybe even 500k LTD if it has KI-like legs. An improvement that would make the franchise return to the highs of the SNES.

That would actually be the highest debut of any Fire Emblem in the past 10 years. Possibly ever (not idea how much of a slow-burner the NES/SNES titles were).

Just over an hour into FE. Game deserves all the sales it can get. Quite a lot of fun. (Of course, I'm easy to please and think the same about most games I've played on 3DS...except Sonic Generations, but that's coz I've never enjoyed Sonic).

Guy said I was the fourth person to buy that day, but they're a smaller, independent games/card/book store. Also, down to their last (new) copy of Rhythm Thief, only three left of KHDDD.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
At the very very least, BC should have been 100% and free. UMD drive or no.

Gamers hated the UMD format and didn't want it to be apart of the PSP successor, yet they feel they should be given free downloads of games they own the UMD version of?
Why? So you can rush out to Gamestop and buy that used $2 copy of Wipeout Pure to get a free download to your Vita?
Sony's giving those who downloaded PSP games off of PSN the ablity to download their games to Vita, and in my opinion they're the only ones they truly owe it to.

And while we're on this topic, where's the complaining that I can't transfer my paid VC Super Mario Bros download over to my 3DS? That right there is a bigger load of bullshit than no physical UMD bc on a non UMD system.

Incidentally, I would not be too much surprised if Fire emblem's good performance should result in a little bump for all other 3DS games that are charting right now - and I mean MH3G, Mario land, MK7, Kid Icarus, Harvest moon, the lot, even KH's weekly sales may be positively affected.

Gamers hated the UMD format and didn't want it to be apart of the PSP successor, yet they feel they should be given free downloads of games they own the UMD version of?
Why? So you can rush out to Gamestop and buy that used $2 copy of Wipeout Pure to get a free download to your Vita?
Sony's giving those who downloaded PSP games off of PSN the ablity to download their games to Vita, and in my opinion they're the only ones they truly owe it to.

And while we're on this topic, where's the complaining that I can't transfer my paid VC Super Mario Bros download over to my 3DS? That right there is a bigger load of bullshit than no physical UMD bc on a non UMD system.

I wouldnt expect my wii copy of super mario bros to work on my 3ds but i would expect it to work on my wiiu

matmanx1

Let's not get too carried away over Fire Emblem just yet. If Nintendo really did (and I know this is unconfirmed) only ship 200k copies as the initial shipment then they probably expect the opening to be somewhat less than that. The game looks like the best Fire Emblem in years so I'd love for it to do gangbusters and sell like crazy but if it does 250k ltd it's going to be in line with other recent Fire Emblem games. We need to keep our expectations in check.

That said I too would love to see an opening above 200k and an eventual ltd of 300 to 350k. That would be a really positive result.

Let's not get too carried away over Fire Emblem just yet. If Nintendo really did (and I know this is unconfirmed) only ship 200k copies as the initial shipment then they probably expect the opening to be somewhat less than that. The game looks like the best Fire Emblem in years so I'd love for it to do gangbusters and sell like crazy but if it does 250k ltd it's going to be in line with other recent Fire Emblem games. We need to keep our expectations in check.

That said I too would love to see an opening above 200k and an eventual ltd of 300 to 350k. That would be a really positive result.

Amazon have sold out, back in stock on the 23rd, sales could be going crazy

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Don't worry, I feel you can fly high.
I'm very curious about Code of Princess, however. :D

Sure thing, Chris! It'll be so fun to see it go below 8k. We can invite Ace and Alberto as well. If it ever goes sub 5k I might blow the biggest load of my life. Can't wait!

Haven't seen a lot of circle-jerking or glee that Vita's not doing every well in this thread, just a bit of analysis upon its sales, which anyone can see are not very good.

Care to rage at shadows somewhere else?

Nekki

You know, we haven't done predictions for a while already... is it not fun anymore D:

If they only shipped 200k for FE first week, then i don't see it crossing that mark even with an additional 50k, but i think it will debut very close to 200k.

Koroviev

Sony really needs to step it up. The 3DS had a much worse launch line-up, but at least there was the promise of first-party Nintendo on the horizon. As others have said, not only are they hardly releasing anything, but they're also failing in announcing new titles for the system. I'm pretty close to actually buying one, but this makes me hesitant.

saichi

A million, lol

better believe in Golden Week boost!

Thanks for the information. 250k for the entire first week is what one could expect. If the first shipment will be sold out entirely, then it is quite legit to expect the game reach 350-400k LTD and maybe even 500k LTD if it has KI-like legs. An improvement that would make the franchise return to the highs of the SNES.

you are aiming really high.

Alrus

Sony really needs to step it up. The 3DS had a much worse launch line-up, but at least there was the promise of first-party Nintendo on the horizon.

Actually in terms of sales potential the 3DS launch lineup was miles better than Vita's (for Japan that is).

Cygnus X-1

Actually in terms of sales potential the 3DS launch lineup was miles better than Vita's (for Japan that is).

I would not say it was better. It's just that Vita's line-up was much more western-oriented. And indeed the best sales of Vita for now are coming from the States.

Truth101

Banned
I would not say it was better. It's just that Vita's line-up was much more western-oriented. And indeed the best sales of Vita for now are coming from the States.

The 3DS launch line-up for Japan was better, considering the target audience.

The Vita should just have launched in the West first.

Also, it has been out what a little over a month in the west, of course sales are still decent.

This is not true.
Vita had just six Western games out of 25; it had dating-sims (Dream Club), visual novel (Kamaitachi), 3 RPG of any kind (Disgaea, Lord of Apocalypse, Army Corps of Hell), Katamari, the golf game (Hot Shot Golf), fighting games (UMvC, BB), Dynasty Warriors, Ridge Racer.

Imo, it was very Japan-oriented, simply it lacked big names. For PSP, games like DW and HSG were enough, for Vita they weren't.

The Vita should just have launched in the West first.

I beg to disagree, in my opinion launching in Japan first was the obvious choice for Sony and honestly I can't blame them.

All things being considered Japan is still handhelds' most important market by far for what I know, not only sales-wise, but also due to the fact that handhelds have had generally a lack of support from Western software-houses - maybe they just need to realize that they just can't get away simply porting games that are tailored for home-consoles -, and that building up a decent userbase there potentially means having support from handhelds biggest players(Capcom, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai); I can see the point that Vita's launch line-up was much Western-oriented and could have had there a slightly better start, but I can't see any handheld being successful only in Western countries without Japan's sales and Japanese software-houses' support.

Road

You know, we haven't done predictions for a while already... is it not fun anymore D:
Apparently it's not fun when there's only one notable release.

Next week:

Relevant
[PS3] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <STG> (Capcom) (¥6.990)
[WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥5.800)
[360] Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City <STG> (Capcom) (¥6.990)

Minor releases
[PSP] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Ao no Exorcist: Genkoku no Labyrinth # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.230)
[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs. <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ADV> (Gust) (¥5.040)

Weekly perversion
[PSP] Even in a Game, Listen to Me Girls. I Am Your Father! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Conception: Please Give Birth to My Child!! <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥6.279)

Whatever
[NDS] Hakuoki: Reimeiroku DS # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.040)
(¥8.800)
[3DS] Mame Goma: Shiro to Kuro no Meikyuu <SLG> (Nippon) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Shifting World: White and Black Labyrinth <PZL> (Arc System Works) (¥3.990)
[PSV] NextRev: Eibunpou Tettei Tokkun <EDU> (Media-5) (¥5.800)
[PSP] Phase-D: Akaki no Shou # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥3.969)
[PSP] Mirai Nikki: 13 Hitome no Nikki Shoyuusha Re-Write # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Scared Rider Xechs I+FD Portable <ADV> (Red Entertainment) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Yamada Hajime Box <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥8.190)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.7 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Major League Baseball 2K12 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Major League Baseball 2K12 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥5.040)
[360] Major League Baseball 2K12 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.090)
[360] DoDonPachi Resurrection: Double Pack <STG> (Cave) (¥3.980)

And that's till the end of June. Holy shit. Two full months like that is crazy.

In comparison, what is 3DS Line up till the end of June?
Vita vs 3DS dated lineups

PlayStation Vita
04.19 Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Ubisoft)
04.26 Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta (Gust)
04.26 NextRev: Eibunpou Tettei Tokkun (Media5)
05.24 NextRev: Gyouseishoshi Shiken (Media5)
05.24 Samurai & Dragons (Sega)
06.07 Hello Kitty to Issho: Block Crash V (Dorart)
06.07 Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Battle Destiny (Bandai)
06.14 Persona 4: The Golden (Atlus)
06.14 Super Monkey Ball: Tokumori AsoVita! (Sega)
06.28 Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (Konami)
06.28 NextRev: IT Passport Shiken (Media5)
06.28 NextRev: Kihonjouhou Gijutsusha Shiken (Media5)
06.28 NextRev: Ouyou Jouhougijutsusha Shiken (Media5)

Nintendo 3DS
04.19 Cho~ricchi! Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi (Bandai)
04.19 Code of Princess (Agatsuma Entertainment)
04.19 Earthpedia (Gakken)
04.19 Fire Emblem: Kakusei (Nintendo)
04.19 Girls Fashion 3D: Mezase! Top Stylist (Ubisoft)
04.19 Nano Assault (CyberFront)
04.26 Mamegoma: Yoi Ko Marui Ko Genki na Ko (Nippon Columbia)
04.26 Shifting World: Shiro to Kuro no Meikyuu (Arc System Works)
04.26 Shin Sangoku Musou VS (Koei)
05.17 PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 - Pachi Pro Fuuunroku Hana - Kibou to Uragiri no Gakuen Seikatsu (IREM Software Engineering)
05.24 Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D Haneda with JAL (Sonic Powered)
05.24 G1 Grand Prix (Genki)
05.24 Happy * Animal Bokujou (Ubisoft)
05.24 Mario Tennis Open (Nintendo)
05.24 Minna no Ennichi (Namco)
05.31 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
05.31 Guild01 (Level 5)
06.14 Gon: BakuBakuBakuBaku Adventure (Bandai)
06.14 Heavy Fire: The Chosen Few (Hamster)
06.21 Hello Kitty to Sekai Ryokou! Iron na Kuni e Odekake Shimasho (Compile Heart)
06.28 Culdcept (Nintendo)
06.28 Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Fukushuu no Rinbu (Arc System Works)
07.05 Danbol Senki Baku Boost (Level 5)
07.05 Sekaiju no Meikyuu IV: Denshou no Kyojin (Atlus)
07.05 Tousouchuu Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-tachi Kara Nigekire! (Bandai)
07.12 Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb (Namco)
07.19 Rune Factory 4 (Marvelous AQL)

I was thinking more about long term. If a predecessor has great success, it is likely that you will see more support to begin with indeed. But long term support can change along the way for various of reasons.

How likely it is, i dont know. Only time will tell how much software that is in the pipeline when they get announced. We'll see what happens :)

The Wii example was just to show that momentum from a predecessing system doesnt always matter. I could use the PS3 as an example as well. What matters the most is that a product is interesting, and it is possible to make a product interesting again even after it has been released. For a gaming system, these things can be games, price reduction or a redesign. All these things can happen regardless of how the predecessor did.
Right now I don't see how anyone can say the Vita situation is anything other than life threatening.

It's being outsold by its predecessor. The exclusive series that revitalized the PSP is no longer exclusive. Point of fact it's getting little more than ports from that series while its competition is getting a from the ground up game.

Something could catch fire and change its fate, but as of today? Yeah... Vita is in bad place.

muu

If what I've read comes close to reality 200k first day with additional 50k waiting.

Thought you're being crazy optimistic here (I was thinking closer to 100K, 150K if it turned out smashing successful -- it's only FE after all), but seeing some store clerk musings that does go in line with rather lofty expectations...

http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-1596.html
61/70 units sold on first day, more coming tomorrow but will likely sell out. No stock @ distributor, Nintendo titles typically restock fast so hopefully we'll be able to restock before GW.

http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-1884.html
Seemed like we've been only selling Fire Emblem this entire day. Mid-High schoolers were coming into buy the game too, pleasantly surprised as we thought only 30-somethings would be buying. Many people bought 3DS systems w/ the game.

Observation by Games Maya showing that efforts to pull in a younger audience may have paid off.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Fire Emblem appears to have a great opening with high sellthrough at many retailers. If Nintendo can keep the supply it will have a big (relative to past entries) first week.

Code of Princess is distant second but with good sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
Right now I don't see how anyone can say the Vita situation is anything other than life threatening.

It's being outsold by its predecessor. The exclusive series that revitalized the PSP is no longer exclusive. Point of fact it's getting little more than ports from that series while its competition is getting a from the ground up game.

Something could catch fire and change its fate, but as of today? Yeah... Vita is in bad place.
About the situation right now you wont hear much arguements from me about this. Sometimes changes can take a long time, that is why i give it a lot of time. I've decided to be optimistic about it and i'm sticking to that for quite a while :)

BurntPork

Banned
Sure thing, Chris! It'll be so fun to see it go below 8k. We can invite Ace and Alberto as well. If it ever goes sub 5k I might blow the biggest load of my life. Can't wait!
Heavy, instead of your usual whining, why don't you try adding to the discussion? You're no better than the people you're carrying on about. Hell, you're worse since I've never seen Alberto act the way you imply. It's annoying as hell.

Yes, I know that I'm annoying to people here as well, but my point stands.

darkwing

Vita vs 3DS dated lineups

PlayStation Vita
04.19 Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Ubisoft)
04.26 Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta (Gust)
04.26 NextRev: Eibunpou Tettei Tokkun (Media5)
05.24 NextRev: Gyouseishoshi Shiken (Media5)

05.24 Samurai & Dragons (Sega)
06.07 Hello Kitty to Issho: Block Crash V (Dorart)
06.07 Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Battle Destiny (Bandai)
06.14 Persona 4: The Golden (Atlus)
06.14 Super Monkey Ball: Tokumori AsoVita! (Sega)
06.28 Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (Konami)
06.28 NextRev: IT Passport Shiken (Media5)
06.28 NextRev: Kihonjouhou Gijutsusha Shiken (Media5)
06.28 NextRev: Ouyou Jouhougijutsusha Shiken (Media5)

there's like a month of no release there , sub 5k confirmed?

Top Bottom