• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2014 (Apr 07 - Apr 13)

If Nintendo was launching in early 2015 we would have heard the concrete rumors by now. I think Nintendo didn't have any plans of launching another handheld until 2016, but if things start to get really bad in the west for the 3DS, a 2015 launch in the west could happen.

SmokyDave

If Nintendo was launching in early 2015 we would have heard the concrete rumors by now. I think Nintendo didn't have any plans of launching another handheld until 2016, but if things start to get really bad in the west for the 3DS, a 2015 launch in the west could happen.
I guess a lot depends on the US. Small alarms really ought to have gone off when they failed to have a single title in the UK top 40 this week, but if they started to face that sort of irrelevance in the US, I'd expect those alarms to start blaring.

Takao

Banned
I wonder what will happen with the Vita support once the publisher start moving over to PS4. Many of the PS3/Vita games arent ports in the "traditional way" (as in releasing for another platform later on), but they are rather multiplatform games. Is it easy to do a PS4/Vita game? I know that some indie game(s) comes out on PS4/Vita, but i wonder if its an easy process that can be done for most games.

The majority of Japanese PS3 games looked like PS2+ titles. I don't expect that to change on PS4.

DaBoss

There's no way it is launching in the west before Japan. And they should not rush out hardware in 2015. They need games ready for it.

What will Nintendo offer in a potential new handheld that will make people desire it instead of switching to mobile?

What many people are suggesting here is that Nintendo should release a new handheld just because the old sold well, but sales started decreasing. It didn't work for Vita, didn't work for Wii U and will not work for the new handheld.

Apart from Nintendo enthusiasts, who will be convinced to buy another handheld to play similar versions of the Super Marios, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Pokémon they have on 3DS?

Heck, the "success" of 3DS is that it will surely do worse than GBA worldwide, whose sales were cannibalized by DS. Most people that fell in love with DS touchscreen capabilities and dual screen possibilities won't come back for 3DS. Most people who bought an Wii for motion controls won't come back for a Wii U. A new Nintendo handheld "just because" will just sell less than 3DS and drive more people away from dedicated handhelds.

Nintendo needs a clever move following 3DS. The wrong move now will probably mean the demise of Nintendo as a system manufacturer (as Vita most certainly ended Sony ventures on handhelds). They cannot think about next year, they must think about the next decade. Better losing profits for a yesr or two than risking their entire hardware business.

phanphare

Banned
What will Nintendo offer in a potential new handheld that will make people desire it instead of switching to mobile?

What many people are suggesting here is that Nintendo should release a new handheld just because the old sold well, but sales started decreasing. It didn't work for Vita, didn't work for Wii U and will not work for the new handheld.

Apart from Nintendo enthusiasts, who will be convinced to buy another handheld to play similar versions of the Super Marios, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Pokémon they have on 3DS?

Heck, the "success" of 3DS is that it will surely do worse than GBA worldwide, whose sales were cannibalized by DS. Most people that fell in love with DS touchscreen capabilities and dual screen possibilities won't come back for 3DS. Most people who bought an Wii for motion controls won't come back for a Wii U. A new Nintendo handheld "just because" will just sell less than 3DS and drive more people away from dedicated handhelds.

Nintendo needs a clever move following 3DS. The wrong move now will probably mean the demise of Nintendo as a system manufacturer (as Vita most certainly ended Sony ventures on handhelds). They cannot think about next year, they must think about the next decade. Better losing profits for a yesr or two than risking their entire hardware business.

buttons

Well, when a company business is declining, they have three choices going forward:

1- Keep investing in the business and figure a way to improve it.
2- Find new market/s
3- Mix of 1 & 2

With the recent introduction of the QOL platform I think it's obvious what Iwata is doing atm is the 3rd option. Iwata is a smart man. I think he realize that achieving growth in the handheld/console business is very unlikely going forwards. I believe that why he introduced the QOL thing in hope that the new business will make up for the decline in the handheld/console business. They won't exist the game business anytime soon, but they will try to find new area for growth.

It would be un-Nintendo not to launch something next year, but it might just be another novelty shaped 3DS, or some kind of upgrade to it.

There's no way it is launching in the west before Japan. And they should not rush out hardware in 2015. They need games ready for it.

When it comes down to it, I think trying to launch outside of the holiday season is a bad idea in America, where as in Japan if they could get the software ready they would be ok whenever they launched it. Of course, the next handheld is probably just going to end up launch holiday 2016 worldwide while the 3DS gasps for breath through that year.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Doesn't this depend on how much worse the 3DS sells next year? It's hovering around 20-30k a week and if it drops 50% YoY it's going to be 10-15k. Software sales will be great but Can Nintendo really sustain a near dead 3DS HW sales if Vita keeps on selling better YoY?

Wow at the people in this thread... Hypothetically selling in the worst case 15K a week in Japan on your 5TH YEAR on the market is suddenly terrible? No console on the current Japanese market (apart from LATELY the Vita) is much above that AT ALL. [/B

]The 3DS's sales this week were the worst since launch/before the release of OOT3D, but you have to realize that basically everything has suffered thanks to the tax hike. Before the tax hike, it was easily sitting at the 30K marker. This is basically the first time it went in the low 20K range but that's at least partly caused by the tax hike. Obviously near-term sales are going to decrease with the tax hike (it did sell an extra 30K the week before the tax hike), but whether or not this is going to be a long-term issue is something we can't tell yet. The Vita managed to sell about the same as the 3DS this week when it had 1 fairly big release and the 3DS had 0 since Mario Party. The 3DS in Japan is fine. It's not selling spectacularly to offset the Wii U sales, but it's still doing fine atm. The question is the rest of the world, and you can see Nintendo seems to be trying different things now in the West (and in Japan too w/ the software bundles).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2014.04.23}

[WIU] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

[PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

[360] Monster Hunter Frontier GG: Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

{2014.04.24}

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call [Theatrhythm Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) (¥24.840)
[3DS] Guruguru Tamagotchi! <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.119)
[3DS] JS Girl: Doki Doki Model Challenge <SLG> (Nippon Columbia) (¥5.184)
[3DS] MapleStory 3DS <RPG> (Nexon) (¥4.752)

[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.664)
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment [First Press Limited Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥11.086)
[PSV] Imasugu Oniichan ni Imouto Datte Iitai! # <ADV> (Piacci) (¥6.458)
[PSV] Imasugu Oniichan ni Imouto Datte Iitai! [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Piacci) (¥10.778)
[PSV] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Rayman Legends <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥5.184)

[PSP] Chronostacia # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSP] Chronostacia [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSP] Kuroyukihime: Snow Black # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.480)
[PSP] Kuroyukihime: Snow Black [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥9.180)

[WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2 <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥3.086)

[PS3] MuvLuv: Photon Flowers # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[PS3] MuvLuv: Photon Flowers [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥8.424)
[PS3] Harem Tengoku da to Omottara Yandere Jigoku Datta <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥7.344)
[PS3] 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥6.804)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics Reprint) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) (¥3.066)
[PS3] Red Dead Redemption: Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics Reprint) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) (¥3.066)

[360] Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst # <STG> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[360] Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst [Limited Edition] <STG> (5pb.) (¥9.504)
[360] Ga-Sen. Love Plus Pengo! # <ETC> (Triangle Service) (¥7.344)
[360] Ga-Sen. Love Plus Pengo! [Limited Edition] <ETC> (Triangle Service) (¥9.504)
[360] 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥6.804)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Some retailer blogs report Yo-kai Watch 2 preorders started very strong (and Mario Kart 8 preorders continue to be solid).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Some retailer blogs report Yo-kai Watch 2 preorders started very strong (and Mario Kart 8 preorders continue to be solid).

Cool. Out of curiosity, any idea what something like "solid" really means? Like what other titles have had "solid" preorders?

Jackano

IIRC the fisrt 3DS PR came out of nowhere without any warning. It was like in the last week of April'10. But agreed, the 3DS is still too young to be replaced this early. Another thing on rumors is that rumors come out from (western) 3rd parties, and they don't care about handheld market anymore.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retailer chain's preorder comparison, as of April 18th, 2014

[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment - 232pt + 99pt = 331pt
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 118pt + 75pt = 193pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 38pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 44pt max (probably quite lower)
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 49pt

[PSV] Persona 4: The Golden - 77pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 46pt

[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - 35pt
[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call - 44pt

[3DS] Youkai Watch FINAL PREORDERS - 29pt
[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 15pt + 13pt = 28pt

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I wonder what "strong" and "solid" translates to in real numbers.

Something like this for Yo-kai I guess

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) {2008.08.22} - 41.474 / 41.474 <27,12%>
[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm / Blizzard (Level 5) {2009.10.01} - 280.597 / 280.597 <73,09%>

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} - 53.654 / 53.654
[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2 (Level 5) {2014.07.10}

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Doesn't this depend on how much worse the 3DS sells next year? It's hovering around 20-30k a week and if it drops 50% YoY it's going to be 10-15k. Software sales will be great but Can Nintendo really sustain a near dead 3DS HW sales if Vita keeps on selling better YoY?

Your post is full of wrong assumptions but like I said before 2014 H2 3DS sales will determine how much longer this system can last.

Nibel

Nintendo won't release a new handheld in 2015

They'll focus on their new QOL product - they'll probably release the 2DS in Japan this year and that's it

Celine

PSP still sold lot of systems in US and especially Europe.

PC Engine and Saturn are better choices.

The Wonderswan?
WonderSwan was sold mostly in Japan.
Abroad it was sold in a few asian markets like Hong Kong but never in US or Europe.

It should be remembered that WS (and iterations) are currently the second best selling handheld series not manufactured by Nintendo in Japan behind the PSP (and in due time Vita).

L~A

That's very good news, though I'm wondering what the impact on Youkai Watch's sales will be. Will people wait for YW2 and skip YW1 entirely? Will they buy both? Guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

Comgnet retailer chain's preorder comparison, as of April 18th, 2014

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 38pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 44pt max (probably quite lower)
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 49pt

[PSV] Persona 4: The Golden - 77pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 46pt

[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - 35pt
[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call - 44pt

[3DS] Youkai Watch FINAL PREORDERS - 29pt
[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 15pt + 13pt = 28pt

So...

1) MK8 got more pre-orders than MK7?! That's a very good sign, since there's still more than 1 month left until release.

2) looks like Persona Q is doing pretty well, and there's still 1 month and a half left until release. Hope it can outsell P4G for the 1st week. I just hope Atlus will be able to avoid shortages as much as possible. By the way, no numbers for bundle?

3) Looks like TFF CC is doing even better than the first game. I guess a 100k opening isn't out of reach this time around. I believe the first one did around 81k, right?

3) Yup, Youkai Watch 2 going for that 200k opening. No wonder Level-5 was so quick to announce the sequel.

Bruno MB

Thanks to the big rise in popularity of Yo-Kai Watch this year Nintendo 3DS will add 4 or even 5 new titles to its million-seller list.

- Kirby Triple Deluxe (I would say its chances are 50/50, if it makes it to the million mark it will probably be in 2015)
- Monster Hunter 4G
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS
- Yo-Kai Watch
- Yo-kai Watch 2

Current million-sellers:

01. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} - 4.339.972
02. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} - 4.121.946
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 3.439.347
04. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} - 2.241.051
05. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} - 2.186.326
06. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} - 1.961.311
07. [3DS] Tomodachi Life (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} - 1.635.099
08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) {2011.12.10} - 1.589.804
09. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} - 1.371.557
10. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} - 1.227.377
11. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} - 1.000.000

L~A

Thanks to the big raise in popularity of Yo-Kai Watch this year Nintendo 3DS will add 4 or even 5 new titles to its million-seller list.

- Kirby Triple Deluxe (I would say its chances are 50/50, if it makes it to the million mark it will probably be in 2015)
- Monster Hunter 4G
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS
- Yo-Kai Watch
- Yo-kai Watch 2

Current million-sellers:

01. [3DS] Pokémon X / Y (Pokémon Co.) {2013.10.12} - 4.339.972
02. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012-11-08} - 4.121.946
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013-09-14} - 3.439.347
04. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) {2012-07-28} - 2.241.051
05. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011-12-01} - 2.186.326
06. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011-11-03} - 1.961.311
07. [3DS] Tomodachi Life (Nintendo) {2013-04-18} - 1.635.099
08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) {2011-12-10} - 1.589.804
09. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013-12-12} - 1.371.557
10. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Square Enix) {2013-02-07} - 1.227.377
11. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo) {2013-03-20} - 1.000.000

Hmm... I really don't see Kirby Triple Deluxe reaching 1M this year, but who knows. If holidays numbers are great, I think it's possible. Let's see how the game performs during Golden Week.

As for Youkai Watch... I'd love to think it'll reach 1M, but with YW2 already announced and launching on July 10, I'm not sure anymore. Guess it'll depends on whether people wait for YW2 or jump straight into YW first.
Youkai Watch 2... yeah, this one could be a million-seller if they really improved the whole experience compared to the 1st game.

Oh, and so glad to see Luigi's Mansion 2 at 1M. Most incredible success-story on the 3DS imo, along with YW.

DaBoss

I feel like Golden Week has lost its selling power that it once had. It has been getting worse each year, right?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I think MK8 will do well in Japan, at least compared to other Wii U franchises which have done very poorly. If Nintendo had a real price drop to coincide with the release I think they could have some nice (temporary) momentum. I believe Japan is the last region without a price cut- just aggressive bundling.

L~A

I feel like Golden Week has lost its selling power that it once had. It has been getting worse each year, right?

No, I think it's just people greatly overestimating it, like expecting it to give christmas-like numbers or something.

Nintendo software always see some bump on GW, though this year I expect it to be smaller than last year.

saichi

That is not the argument at all. The Vita does not need MH to get more third party support. It´s already getting plenty. Which would make 3DS successor compete with third party coming to Vita.

Lol at anyone who think 4DS will release in 2016. 2015 at the latest.

VITA can barely avg 25K a week with "plenty 3rd party support" in its best year... quantity of small titles doesn't have the selling power of one blockbuster title

Bruno MB

First day sales (sell-through)

{2014.04.14}

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥3.394) < 50% (4 days since it was released on Monday)

{2014.04.17}

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3: Naruhodo Selection [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.389) - 40%
[3DS] Detective Conan: Phantom Rapsody <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145) - 20%
[3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥4.936) - 20%

As for Youkai Watch... I'd love to think it'll reach 1M, but with YW2 already announced and launching on July 10, I'm not sure anymore. Guess it'll depends on whether people wait for YW2 or jump straight into YW first.
Youkai Watch 2... yeah, this one could be a million-seller if they really improved the whole experience compared to the 1st game.

Yo-kai Watch isn't showing any signs of slowing down, Golden Week is near and its sequel is still 3 month away, that's plenty of time to reach 1 million units.

DaBoss

No, I think it's just people greatly overestimating it, like expecting it to give christmas-like numbers or something.

Nintendo software always see some bump on GW, though this year I expect it to be smaller than last year.
I don't think people expect Christmas-like bumps, but the bumps have become smaller.

Not saying there isn't bumps, but it seems that it will continue to become smaller. Though software bumps vary on more factors, but hardware does show this.

L~A

First day sales (sell-through)

{2014.04.17}

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-2-3: Naruhodo Selection [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.389) - 40%

Yo-kai Watch isn't showing any signs of slowing down, Golden Week is near and its sequel is still 3 month away, that's plenty of time to reach 1 million units.

Yeah, I hope you're right. Maybe I've just become way too cautious with my predictions.

And good numbers for GS1-2-3. I mean, it's just a compilation of ports of ports of GBA games, after all, alread- re-released 10 times.

I don't think people expect Christmas-like bumps, but the bumps have become smaller.

Not saying there isn't bumps, but it seems that it will continue to become smaller. Though software bumps vary on more factors, but hardware does show this.

Of course hardware bumps aren't as high as before :

1) the DS is no 3DS
2) PS3 has pretty much reached saturation
3) Vita : still underperforming

This year shouldn't have great bumps in HW (except maybe Vita?). Software should be great though. And reason I said "christmas-like bumps" was because of the DS years, and the insane weeks this beast had.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01./00. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥8.715) - 142.433 / NEW <75,93%>
02./00. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥7.689) - 128.236 / NEW <81,39%>
___

21./00. [PS3] Dream C Club Gogo. <SLG> (D3 Publisher) {2014.04.10} (¥7.344)
22./09. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) {2014.03.27} (¥7.350)
23./19. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400)
24./18. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.02.06} (¥5.490)
25./16. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes <ADV> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥2.980)
26./28. [3DS] Hero Bank <RPG> (Sega) {2014.03.20} (¥5.550)
27./24. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770)
28./30. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)
29./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
30./22. [3DS] Harvest Moon: Linking the New World <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.02.27} (¥5.040)
31./17. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥3.980)
32./29. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
33./25. [PS3] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥8.190)
34./35. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.12.05} (¥6.090)
35./32. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
36./41. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
37./27. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥6.983)
38./40. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980)
39./31. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice &#916; <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.03.06} (¥4.980)
40./20. [PSV] Natural Doctrine <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.04.03} (¥6.458)
41./45. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.30} (¥7.980)
42./39. [WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.02.13} (¥5.985)
43./00. [PSP] Houkago Colorful Step: Bunkabu! # <ADV> (Honeybee) {2014.04.10} (¥5.184)
44./46. [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.600)
45./44. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
46./00. [PSV] Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai # <ADV> (5pb.) {2014.04.10} (¥7.344)
47./26. [3DS] New Love Plus+ # <ETC> (Konami) {2014.03.27} (¥5.985)
48./42. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
49./36. [PSV] Winning Post 8 # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.27} (¥7.140)
50./50. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.800)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS3 - 13
PSV - 10
PS4 - 3
WIU - 3
PSP - 2
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    699.000 |    567.000 |    482.000 | 13.007.000 | 14.170.000 |

So software up YOY this month but YTD is down fairly considerably. I guess a large part of that is probably due to 3DS having a good software year in 2013?

Thats worked wonders in stopping the decline of handhelds hasn't it.

Also does anyone know why Vitas getting more 3rd party support than the 3DS everytime i look at the new releases its like the vita has more games coming out.

Ease of porting between PS3/Vita/PS4, and Sony has much stronger relationships with the niche publishers than Nintendo ever managed.

DaBoss

Of course hardware bumps aren't as high as before :

1) the DS is no 3DS
2) PS3 has pretty much reached saturation
3) Vita : still underperforming

This year shouldn't have great bumps in HW (except maybe Vita?). Software should be great though. And reason I said "christmas-like bumps" was because of the DS years, and the insane weeks this beast had.
I'm not comparing it to the DS. I'm saying it has been declining YoY this gen (since the 3DS started selling).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Stock problems for Yo-kai Watch seem to have ended, Level 5 must have started shipping some of that big printed amount at the retailers. Yo-kai Watch 2 opening could be very big, something like 500k initial shipment wouldn't surprise me, hype is on the roof right now.

L~A

Stock problems for Yo-kai Watch seem to have ended, Level 5 must have started shipping some of that big printed amount at the retailers. Yo-kai Watch 2 opening could be very big, something like 500k initial shipment wouldn't surprise me, hype is on the roof right now.

I say, it sure lasted longer than I expected. I understand the stock problems throughout the holiday season, but through the entire 1st quarter? It was high time they had bigger shipments.

I really hope Youkai Watch 1 reaches 1M, and Youkai Watch 2 does get a 500k shipment at launch. I think this is pretty much the first new IP to become so successful this gen (if you don't count Puzzle & Dragons Z, which started as a F2P smartphone game). Let's just hope it won't suddenly crash and burn like the others Level-5 IP.

Road

PS4 games announced for Japan since launch:

- remake of 90's Assault Suit Leynos
- port of that Warriors Orochi game
- port/remake of 80's arcade games
- port of Akiba's Trip 2

Sony Japan is so useless they haven't even announced the port of The Last of Us yet.

L Thammy

Can Nintendo make an Android device while still having exclusive games for it? If not, it destroy much of the appeal of the device.

Sacrimoni

Banned
This will absolutely not happen and is not necessary.

The more simplistic the better.

Buy a half decent android tablet. A huge variety of apps and games available immediately for knockdown prices

Pay more for a new nintendo jandheld. Wait months for the odd game to come out. Play them and do nothing else with it

In the modern era a new dedicated handheld in the vein of previous handhelds is a terrible proposition

Top Bottom