• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2014 (Apr 07 - Apr 13)

Tripon

Can Nintendo make an Android device while still having exclusive games for it? If not, it destroy much of the appeal of the device.

They would need to fork Android like Amazon does with the Fire tablets.

Not worth it, IMO. Getting something like Nintendo Web Framework to run on multiple OS and UI might make more sense if they want to do the phone route.

Like a way better version of Blue stacks that can actually work.

Shurayuki

I say, it sure lasted longer than I expected. I understand the stock problems throughout the holiday season, but through the entire 1st quarter? It was high time they had bigger shipments.

I really hope Youkai Watch 1 reaches 1M, and Youkai Watch 2 does get a 500k shipment at launch. I think this is pretty much the first new IP to become so successful this gen (if you don't count Puzzle & Dragons Z, which started as a F2P smartphone game). Let's just hope it won't suddenly crash and burn like the others Level-5 IP.

Well it's another cross media IP but the 'x for money' games should have shipped a combined total of over 1m by now. I don't think anyone saw that coming, and I'll continue to ram it down everyone's throat, because it's the best thing since blast processing.

As long as they can create the next Youkai Watch after the next Inazuma after the next Layton etc, Level5 seems fine. Not sure why they keep murdering their IPs, they could have one of the most impressive IP stables in Japan, but for now they're good.

Thats worked wonders in stopping the decline of handhelds hasn't it.

Also does anyone know why Vitas getting more 3rd party support than the 3DS everytime i look at the new releases its like the vita has more games coming out.

Go back and look at the top selling DS games. If I properly recall, something along the lines 38 out of the top 40 best selling games were published by Nintenso in some form. Looking at the 3DS nu!beds, a similar pattern emerges. Nintendo does an excellent job creating platforms that sell Nintendo's games. This was fine when the DS was selling an absurdly high number of units, but less so when the 3DS doesn't. Publishers will go where they think they can find a viable market.

Shurayuki

Don't know if this was posted already, but according to google-translate of this site, Capcom plans to announce RE7 for PS4 (and probably XB1 too then) at E3:

http://translate.google.com/transla..._economy/news/140419/wec14041912000004-n1.htm

It's on Page 3.
Not sure if it's trustworthy though.

It just says that Capcom plans to announce a big PS4 game at E3, and that people are getting excited because many believe that to be RE. Sounds like less than even a rumor to me, just people like us bouncing around.

sörine

Banned
Go back and look at the top selling DS games. If I properly recall, something along the lines 38 out of the top 40 best selling games were published by Nintenso in some form. Looking at the 3DS nu!beds, a similar pattern emerges. Nintendo does an excellent job creating platforms that sell Nintendo's games. This was fine when the DS was selling an absurdly high number of units, but less so when the 3DS doesn't. Publishers will go where they think they can find a viable market.
I was under the impression that 3rd parties were actually doing slightly better on 3DS overall and nearly all the 3DS vs DS software decline was attributable to Nintendo themselves. Mostly as fallout from the Touch Generations market dissappearing.

L~A

sörine;108736992 said:
I was under the impression that 3rd parties were actually doing slightly better on 3DS overall and nearly all the 3DS vs DS software decline was attributable to Nintendo themselves. Mostly as fallout from the Touch Generations market dissappearing.

Indeed they are. Some franchises from previous gens are doing even better than on DS (Harvest Moon, Etrian Odyssey, Rune Factory), there's also existing franchises which made successful debut/come backs on Nintendo 3DS (Hatsune Miku, Shin Megami Tensei IV).

Some are doing as good as ever, if not better (Dragon Quest VII, the DQM remakes, Ace Attorney). There's some new and rather successful IPs, like Youkai Watch, Bravely Default, but also Senran Kagura (a rather "otaku" game you'd think would only appear on PS consoles).

There's also Nintendo's biggest "prize" : Monster Hunter.

Yes, there's no denying the loss of casuals really hurt Nintendo software-wise (with some historic franchises getting significantly less sales), but I'd say overall, the 3DS is a (much) healthier platform because of that. Some of their franchises actually ended up doing better than on previous consoles, like Luigi's Mansion 2 (I think very few people expected it to reach 1M.... and without the casual boom from the DS gen).

And using a Top 10/50 to say 'look, Nintendo only make consoles for their own games' is slightly misleading. Because if you look the best-selling games for all platforms, you'll notice Nintendo is pretty much the only company to have not just one or two, but lots of multi-million franchises. Other than Nintendo franchises, how many sell over 1M? Over 500k? Sales of various game (mentionned above) shows than many a 3rd-party publishers have found (great) success on the 3DS, and are pretty happy with the platform and showing it with continuous support.

And reason why Vita is getting more 3rd-party games now is, imo, partly due to the easo of port from PS3. This lead to a "core" of users switching to PSV, as shown with some recent PS3-PSV games selling more on PSV, while it was the opposite when the first PS3-PSV titles started to show up.

I admit, there's one point where Nintendo totally failed with the 3DS : attracting the "hardcore otaku" market : very few Visual Novels, niche JRPG and the such. For some reason, those players don't want to touch a Nintendo console without a ten-foot pole. So yeah, it ain't all roses and rainbows for the 3DS, but I think we're putting too much "weight" in that DS > 3DS drop (both hardware and software-wise), even though there's no way it can be ignored.

Mory Dunz

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 38pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 44pt max (probably quite lower)
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 49pt

Hmmm...
I don't want to assume this means anything, but...hmm

Also, does anyone know what preorders were for Mario Golf? I was wondering if that could be a surprise million seller con legs.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LTD sales targets

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 150k
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 150k

PS4 games announced for Japan since launch:

- remake of 90's Assault Suit Leynos
- port of that Warriors Orochi game
- port/remake of 80's arcade games
- port of Akiba's Trip 2

Sony Japan is so useless they haven't even announced the port of The Last of Us yet.

last year Vita was blamed due to the lack of games (the (in)famous "Vita has no gamez")
and after 12 months there are more releases for Vita than 3DS (source: gamefaqs)

now it's time to blame PS4 :)

Road

last year Vita was blamed due to the lack of games (the (in)famous "Vita has no gamez")
and after 12 months there are more releases for Vita than 3DS (source: gamefaqs)

now it's time to blame PS4 :)

It's fine if people want to pretend Vita is anything more than an old cripple dog missing two legs, just be aware it doesn't change the reality.

Games released in 2014.

3DS: 80
http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/inde...her=&dist=0&sort=4&link=0&res=1&title=0&adv=1

Vita: 51
http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/inde...her=&dist=0&sort=4&link=0&res=1&title=0&adv=1

Takao

Banned
Oh man, that GameFAQs list:

PSP
Release Date in JP: December 12, 2004
Releases in 2014: 42

Xbox 360
Release Date in JP: December 10, 2005
Releases in 2014: 23

Wii U
Release Date in JP: December 8, 2012
Releases in 2014: 15

It looks like the PSP and 360 are getting a boost thanks to budget re-releases, but still.

mTxF6mw.jpg

It's fine if people want to pretend Vita is anything more than an old cripple dog missing two legs, just be aware it doesn't change the reality.

Games released in 2014.

Using GameFAQs as a source is pretty great. Not saying you're wrong or anything since I don't really *care*, but try and use an actually good source next time, yeah?

wrowa

Using GameFAQs as a source is pretty great. Not saying you're wrong or anything since I don't really *care*, but try and use an actually good source next time, yeah?

Moor-Angol was referring to the GameFAQs release list, Road only responded to it. <insert snarky comment here>

Moor-Angol was referring to the GameFAQs release list, Road only responded to it. <insert snarky comment here>
Then it goes to both of them.

What's wrong with Gamefaqs as a source?
In my experience, they never list each release for systems. If people are going to have these silly list wars, I would at least like an accurate "list". Plus, at least for Sony systems, they list the retail and digital titles separately on the release list if it comes out even a little later. And I'm not sure if I'd count re-releases in something like this...

Games released in 2014.

I was talking about games which will be released from now to next summer, and the total is almost similar (30 vs. 21)

but last year everybody was laughing at Vita results, and now it has almost the same games as 3DS has

so I really don't understand all those PS4 is doomed... as comparing a console launched on holiday season (PS3) with another launched in february (PS4), of course now PS3 will overpass PS4, due to holiday season boost and no games released for PS4

probably due to the failure of Wii U, someone hopes PS4 will fail too

FLAguy954

3DS will not survive till 2016.

Last year I would have said otherwise, but I didn't expect the decline this year to be so severe.

This is exactly how I feel. I would of never of thought that a Nintendo handheld, especially one firing on all cylinders, would only have 4 or less years of life in it (total). Sad fucking times man...

Some people seriously think that PS4 failing in Japan is good for Nintendo?

It's actually worse because that means the console industry is truly dead no matter how well Nintendo does the next time. It means no Japanese support for any console.

Well Japan is rotting from the inside anyway.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just to reiterate how much Yokai Watch 2 could impact the market

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 15pt + 13pt = 28pt

This was its amount three days ago, right?

Let's see, today, how much it incr-

[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 - 37pt + 31pt = 68pt

*urgh*

...Guys, get ready. This is a big one. If it goes on like this, I can totally see it debuting with 500,000 copies, if not more. Even a good amount more.

Sandfox

*urgh*

...Guys, get ready. This is a big one. If it goes on like this, I can totally see it debuting with 500,000 copies, if not more. Even a good amount more.
The original being bundled with every 3DS LL will probably help 2 a bit as well.

*urgh*

How's MK8 doing?

saichi

I was talking about games which will be released from now to next summer, and the total is almost similar (30 vs. 21)

but last year everybody was laughing at Vita results, and now it has almost the same games as 3DS has

so I really don't understand all those PS4 is doomed... as comparing a console launched on holiday season (PS3) with another launched in february (PS4), of course now PS3 will overpass PS4, due to holiday season boost and no games released for PS4

probably due to the failure of Wii U, someone hopes PS4 will fail too

you mean same number of games not same games, right?

Also, for PS4, we can't compare results until first holiday?

Mory Dunz

Some people seriously think that PS4 failing in Japan is good for Nintendo?

It's actually worse because that means the console industry is truly dead no matter how well Nintendo does the next time. It means no Japanese support for any console.

Well Japan is rotting from the inside anyway.

Who said that?

you mean same number of games not same games, right?

yes, I left "number" into keyboard :D

Also, for PS4, we can't compare results until first holiday?

no, but if a comparison between Wii and Wii U could be made (they were released in the same period), PS3 and PS4 is a little different

selling something in February is different than releasing it in late November, isn't it ?

PS4 sold 500k in 2 months without any significant release; is it a failure? I don't think so
but as I already said last week, if things are not changing after summer, of course it will become a problem, people can't continue to buy a system without a solid line-up

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS4 sold 500k in 2 months without any significant release; is it a failure? I don't think so
but as I already said last week, if things are not changing after summer, of course it will become a problem, people can't continue to buy a system without a solid line-up

Take out first week and PS4 sales are a failure.

Things are not changing after summer, what exactly will happen this summer that suddenly increases sales.

L~A

*urgh*

Looks like they already started airing TV Ads for the game, so I'm not surprised. I'm more curious about the impact on YW1 sales, to be honest.

By the way, do you have numbers for other 3DS pre-orders?

LTD sales targets

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 150k
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 150k

Isn't it real low for SAO? I thought this one was pretty big deal in Japan?
TFF Curtain Call seems pretty realistic.

BriBri

One Piece Unlimited World Red - 12 June. Huge 3DS update same day
Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2 - 7 August

Shengar

Isn't it real low for SAO? I thought this one was pretty big deal in Japan?
TFF Curtain Call seems pretty realistic.

How well does the PSP game perform? Well, I heard that the game is improved version of the PSP game but vastly one at that.

Take out first week and PS4 sales are a failure.

Things are not changing after summer, what exactly will happen this summer that suddenly increases sales.

so we have to expect around 3-4 games in September, October, November and December ?

ok, I'll make a note

L~A

that's...unexpected for MK8. Could it be THAT game?
The U is beyond salvation at this point I'm afraid, but seeing these numbers compared to the other games....

The problem with Mario Kart 8 is that it's going to be followed by a very sparse line-up, with entire months without anything noteworthy. Sales are gonna rise for Mario Kart 8. There's the possibility sales are gonna pick up real time. Sure, why not. But then they're gonna drop like a rock in the following weeks. Like they did in January.

All we know for Summer is Zelda Musou and Bayonetta 2 (probably July and August respectively).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The problem with Mario Kart 8 is that it's going to be followed by a very sparse line-up, with entire months without anything noteworthy. Sales are gonna rise for Mario Kart 8. There's the possibility sales are gonna pick up real time. Sure, why not. But then they're gonna drop like a rock in the following weeks. Like they did in January.

All we know for Summer is Zelda Musou and Bayonetta 2 (probably July and August respectively).

The Wii U lineup before and after Mario Kart 8 still is a lot more than the Wii U had its first months... it's nothing big, but at least it's something?

Before Mario Kart, the Wii U has Just Dance (which just released), Sonic Racing, and NES Remix 1&2. On the digital front it has the GBA VC titles and Child of Light.

I think One Piece Unlimited World Red = June 12th. That Kamen Rider game is June 22nd.

Considering E3 is around June 12th, I still think Nintendo has refused to mention anything releasing after Mario Kart even if there is something. If they give some release dates for the known titles at E3, it might give the Wii U a bit of hype following Mario Kart's release. Something like July and August for two titles like Bayo and Zelda Musou would probably be the best we could we could expect, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

What kind of first week hardware & software sales for Mario Kart would you consider a good sign? I personally think the bottom (and terrible) end would be 100K software, ~20K hardware, aka Pikmin 3 numbers. I think anything above 200K on the software end (along with good legs), and we might be seeing something. I'm not sure what would be considered a pretty good hardware number for the Wii U. 40k? 50K? 75K? I guess that'd be the highest non-holiday spike.

L~A

^

I usually don't worry too much about W1 sales, as they can be misleading (ie: 3D World which had a lukewarm 1st week, but sold pretty nicely during Christmas... actually, it ended up selling x3 the amount it did during its 1st week). But honeslty, anything below 100k would be a total disaster. If it could get 200k, that'd be fantastic, and a good sign, but I'm expecting something between 100-150k to be honest.

Though honestly, I suck at predictions, so yeah. I generally prefer to watch how things unfold.

By the way, looks like Amazon is already having shortages for Youkai Watch 2.... or did they even have some copies to begin with? Thing is, there's only 1 3rd-party seller selling it right now.... for 9 200 Yens.

^

I usually don't worry too much about W1 sales, as they can be misleading (ie: 3D World which had a lukewarm 1st week, but sold pretty nicely during Christmas... actually, it ended up selling x3 the amount it did during its 1st week). But honeslty, anything below 100k would be a total disaster. If it could get 200k, that'd be fantastic, and a good sign, but I'm expecting something between 100-150k to be honest.

Though honestly, I suck at predictions, so yeah. I generally prefer to watch how things unfold.

100k for mk8?

I'm assuming Wii U hardware should be around 100k level on that week

L~A

100k for mk8?

I'm assuming Wii U hardware should be around 100k level on that week

I dunno, the past few months have made me an ultra pessimist regarding any kind of Wii U sales (software, hardware). And I stated, I suck at predictions anyway (unless there's some precise data to work with, like "Will this game reach 500k by the end of the year?" or so).

I definitely can't wait for June 4th... and let's hope we get a special PR/leak on Monday/Tuesday.

Tomohawk

I think how mario kart 8 does is heavily dependent on the marketing. They need to communicate why people need mario kart 8 when they have mario kart 7.

MK8 will do fine on software side, selling comparable to other Mario games on Wii U (maybe more on FW because of bigger install base + software shortage).

The Wii U lineup before and after Mario Kart 8 still is a lot more than the Wii U had its first months... it's nothing big, but at least it's something?

Before Mario Kart, the Wii U has Just Dance (which just released), Sonic Racing, and NES Remix 1&2. On the digital front it has the GBA VC titles and Child of Light.

I think One Piece Unlimited World Red = June 12th. That Kamen Rider game is June 22nd.

Just Dance already flopped
Sonic Racing will flop (who cares about it 2 weeks before MK8 ???) (multi w/PS3)
NES Remix will flop
OPUWR is a 2 year porting multi w/PS3 and PSV
Kamen Raider is multi with PS3, guess which version people will pick up ?

Exile20

Comgnet retailer chain's preorder comparison, as of April 18th, 2014

[PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment - 232pt + 99pt = 331pt
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 118pt + 75pt = 193pt

[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 38pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 44pt max (probably quite lower)
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 49pt

[PSV] Persona 4: The Golden - 77pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 46pt

[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - 35pt
[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call - 44pt

[3DS] Youkai Watch FINAL PREORDERS - 29pt
Mk 8 more preorders than Wii and 3ds? Isn't that pretty high especially since people can get it dd?

kiri

Hey guys quick question.
Has anyone heard of a new ps4 bundle coming to Japan in the next few days?

I just tried to buy a PS4 at Yodobashi and the guy warned me that the camera will be included from Thursday. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom