• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2015 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

test_account

XP-39C²
People werent kidding when they said that this was a slow week.

Minecraft still going strong.

Oh god Xenoblade 3D bombing hard. Dark Souls 2 as well although is that the actual game or some datadisc/special edition? I thought it came out some time ago.
It did, but it was the PS3 version. The PS4 version was released last week.

ZeroXZee

Ouch.... slow week.

everything looks so dead.

20k for for DKS2 now that is a bomba.

Everything dropped quite badly apart from the Xbox One, which only fell by a few hundred.

And the drop for PS4 begins.

Huge drop for X1

PS4 slowly screeching to a halt then, lets see where the baseline is

Slow start and big drops in software. Pretty weak week, so hardware did OK all things considered.

Worst week of the year here we go!

Everything's back to being terrible again.

I tried to contribute to Dark Souls II sales, guess it didn't help.

That's all it took to be no.1...

Top of the chart with 20k! Is this normal for Japan?

Ouch PS4. Going for sub 15k every week now?

Sony platform dominated the first half of top 10 software but nothing much there, the highest being 20k.

Well, X1 going back to it's usual business. Furiously competing with PSVTV.

Oh god Xenoblade 3D bombing hard. Dark Souls 2 as well although is that the actual game or some datadisc/special edition? I thought it came out some time ago.

Slow week huh?

Will Xbox survive this month?

Poor PS4 and I was so optimistic it would hold in the 20k base.

Uh... isn't this like the third week in a row it's dropped?

Damn those heat waves!!!!

Gaming in Japan is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. The Japanese lost their last ace, and that's the end of their gaming hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for them. Japenese devlopers have nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a gaming device. Except if they want to play shitty iOS games. Which will also come to Android at some point.

The age of Japan is done.

Am I doing it right? xD

Still its down by last year LTD by a lot.

Yes, not by much though. But that's expecting: 3DS is entering its fifth year in the market, selling 5m per year during the first three years, and having an already huge installed base. If the drop will be around 20-30% YOY then it'd be great, and the platform will have enough steam to be the third best-selling platform ever in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Still its down by last year LTD by a lot.

"a lot" is questionable, imho.
plus, it somehow inverted the trend during the last two weeks, and that's what the original post underlined.
the tough times will come also for the 3DS in terms of YoY, but later in the year (when we'll hit the N3ds launch period). plus, it must also be considered the context in which the YoY trends are put (as for every single statistic, that out of context is meaningless): 3DS is approaching the 19 millions pieces in Japan, it's also a question of saturation; it already saw the release of almost all the significant IP for that market, so from now on basically there will be sequels more than new brand, it already has a very large install base able to guarantee sales for many softwares despite its weekly sales slowing donw etc...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Really? :/

Are you new to this? For the past few years whenever someone mentions a new positive baseline for a system in trouble it will disappoint their expectations without fail. You can even set your clock by it.

I knew from the start the PS4 wouldn't keep a 20k baseline as do most regulars here.

Are you new to this? For the past few years whenever someone mentions a new positive baseline for a system in trouble it will disappoint their expectations without fail. You can even set your clock by it.

I knew from the start the PS4 wouldn't keep a 20k baseline as do most regulars here.

I remember when people used to hope for a pessimistic 10.000 baseline for the WiiU.

Heh.

Orgen

Seeing the shipment numbers for Theatrhythm Dragon Quest... is it in the bomba bins? Or it's expected to sell the first shipment with the help of Golden Week sales?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It looks like at least Mario Kart 8 will hit a million. Perhaps SSBU can still eventually hit it if the DLC momentum manages to keep it hovering in the top 30.

Does anyone have any first-party Wii U software ltds?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure I really see a 3DS issue at this point.

1.) They already semi-announced the successor is unveiling next year, and said they wanted to be in contact with developers for two years before its launch, so presumably they're taking some feedback on the design.

2.) The New Nintendo 3DS seems to be holding the line well enough. If we compare with the Vita - a system that launched at a similar time and has a fairly wide variety of content - the Vita is down 25.1% year over year while the 3DS is only down 8.7% by Media Create. Coming into this year I said I'd normally expect a 20-30% drop for the 3DS assuming no new system had been released, which is similar to how the Vita is doing, so I'd argue they got about 1/2 to 1/3 of the decline they would have otherwise.

3.) Beyond this, Nintendo already announced plans to go mobile, and do so in a big way. Even if the 4DS is a complete catastrophe in Japan (which is pretty unlikely) they at least have a foot on a lifeboat.

Will the latter half of the year compare worse? Probably. Will 2016 be rough? Very likely, but at that point I think it's moot.

Now, if we shifted our view to the West things look decidedly less good, but that's a separate issue.

Eolz

This

I remember when people used to hope for a pessimistic 10.000 baseline for the WiiU.

Heh.

Well, tbh, it was the same for the NPD threads. Nobody truly expected the WiiU to be such a disaster (not that fast if you prefer).

It looks like at least Mario Kart 8 will hit a million. Perhaps SSBU can still eventually hit it if the DLC momentum manages to keep it hovering in the top 30.

Does anyone have any first-party Wii U software ltds?

I think it was posted some weeks ago by hiska-kun or moor-angol, when we were talking about how #FE could sell more than XCX and be amongst the best selling WiiU titles in Japan, since the bar was set pretty low.
Maybe someone has it with him or know which post that was.

I'm not sure I really see a 3DS issue at this point.

1.) They already semi-announced the successor is unveiling next year, and said they wanted to be in contact with developers for two years before its launch, so presumably they're taking some feedback on the design.

2.) The New Nintendo 3DS seems to be holding the line well enough. If we compare with the Vita - a system that launched at a similar time and has a fairly wide variety of content - the Vita is down 25.1% year over year while the 3DS is only down 8.7% by Media Create. Coming into this year I said I'd normally expect a 20-30% drop for the 3DS assuming no new system had been released, which is similar to how the Vita is doing, so I'd argue they got about 1/2 to 1/3 of the decline they would have otherwise.

3.) Beyond this, Nintendo already announced plans to go mobile, and do so in a big way. Even if the 4DS is a complete catastrophe in Japan (which is pretty unlikely) they at least have a foot on a lifeboat.

Will the latter half of the year compare worse? Probably. Will 2016 be rough? Very likely, but at that point I think it's moot.

Now, if we shifted our view to the West things look decidedly less good, but that's a separate issue.

1) Technically, they haven't announced a successor yet. They announced a new platform which might be, or might not be, 3DS' successor.

3) Since Nintendo have yet to announce how it will go mobile, this remains to be seen. As we saw with many other companies, going on mobile doesn't automatically equate into being successful.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Uh... isn't this like the third week in a row it's dropped?

This is the first troubled week after the famous "PS4 revival" which just like PS4 launch and Wii U launch didn't take more than 2 weeks for hopes and dreams to crush, and sets the pattern for the empty months until MGSV. So... not really.

Eek at PS4, maybe it's time for a price cut.

The sold out games are still sold out, or are we past that now? Bloodborne and Senran Kagura are falling pretty fast.

Nintendo needs to release more N3DS exclusives, why haven't they announced the next one? Retro Studios better work.

Oh and poor DQ Thretagsjh, we thought it would be a good idea, but as soon as I watched the trailer I knew it was nothing special. Dragon Quest may be bigger than Final Fantasy in Japan, but not for its characters/music.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1) Technically, they haven't announced a successor yet. They announced a new platform which might be, or might not be, 3DS' successor.
Well I guess it could be a console successor or a combined platform, but I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't supposed to replace the handheld given their paucity of first party output on the system.

3) Since Nintendo have yet to announce how it will go mobile, this remains to be seen. As we saw with many other companies, going on mobile doesn't automatically equate into being successful.
Yeah, but opening the door is the first step.

Of the traditional publishers currently Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Sega, Konami, and Marvelous all have respectable success (many after a lot of years of failing) while Capcom and Koei Tecmo are still largely unsuccessful.

Ultimately though what I feel is important is "We're there and outputting multiple games." since that's how you get started down the road to success and most importantly it gives you more options for revenue in case something goes wrong.

Similarly they've stepped up their merchandizing arm quite a bit and - while I'm incredibly skeptical of the product line - QoL is also an attempt to diversify from all their revenue being tied to two proprietary game devices.

Like imagine if they hadn't started to diversify and were still just sitting on the 3DS and Wii U. Pretty much everything would be riding on the NX at that point. It's not a fun position to be in for a company even if there isn't a huge expectation of failure, which is why basically every company tries to diversify over time.

Of the traditional publishers currently Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Sega, Konami, and Marvelous all have respectable success (many after a lot of years of failing) while Capcom and Koei Tecmo are still largely unsuccessful.

Ultimately though what I feel is important is "We're there and outputting multiple games." since that's how you get started down the road to success and most importantly it gives you more options for revenue in case something goes wrong.

Similarly they've stepped up their merchandizing arm quite a bit and - while I'm incredibly skeptical of the product line - QoL is also an attempt to diversify from all their revenue being tied to two proprietary game devices.

Like imagine if they hadn't started to diversify and were still just sitting on the 3DS and Wii U. Pretty much everything would be riding on the NX at that point. It's not a fun position to be in for a company even if there isn't a huge expectation of failure, which is why basically every company tries to diversify over time.

Sure. One thing is, though, having hits in the mobile market; another thing is having enough hits (or enough profitability) such that the business in the mobile market could offset the losses from a "catastrophic 4DS", that is the main source of revenues of the company.

Among the unsuccessful companies, I'd put Level-5. Also, it remains to be seen how long-term are the hits of the mentioned companies.

Business diversification might be good, but it's not a solution per se. Nintendo had everything riding on the blue ocean strategy after the GC, so it'd not be something new for them. Let's wait and see how their approach towards mobile gaming will be.

BriBri

Oh and poor DQ Thretagsjh, we thought it would be a good idea, but as soon as I watched the trailer I knew it was nothing special. Dragon Quest may be bigger than Final Fantasy in Japan, but not for its characters/music.
Your autocorrect is the sole highlight this week.

test_account

XP-39C²
The sold out games are still sold out, or are we past that now? Bloodborne and Senran Kagura are falling pretty fast..
Have there been any reports of sell outs for last week? If not, i dont see why people will comment on it now. Thats all that people were commenting on earlier, at least from what i saw.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Media Create numbers, comparison

02./01. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥8.715) - 31.724 / 174.156 (-78%)
06./02. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥7.689) - 17.755 / 145.991 (-86%)

02./01. [PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥7.690) - 15.394 / 136.613 (-87%)
03./02. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.04.02} (¥8.716) - 14.582 / 123.783 (-87%)

Have there been any reports of sell outs for last week? If not, i dont see why people will comment on it now. Thats all that people were commenting on earlier, at least from what i saw.

Problem is, reports of sold-out don't automatically mean that the demand is greater than the supply at that specific point in time. Bloodborne and Senran Kagure were sold-out in some stores, probably because what shipped and what demanded matched.

test_account

XP-39C²
Problem is, reports of sold-out don't automatically mean that the demand is greater than the supply at that specific point in time. Bloodborne and Senran Kagure were sold-out in some stores, probably because what shipped and what demanded matched.
True, i was just commenting on the "are we past that?" part. It wasnt strange that people commented on it when even Media Create did. If demand were met or not is possible, but that is just a guess one way or the other.

Scum

Well I guess it could be a console successor or a combined platform, but I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't supposed to replace the handheld given their paucity of first party output on the system.

It's a damn shame that it took Iwata this long to do all this diversifying. But at least he's seems to moving along with whatever he has planned. The one great thing about the move to mobile is that Nintendo found someone who does it on a global scale. I was really worried that they'd attempt to go it alone. D:

Occam

I'm expecting 4th week in May for the sub-100 XB1 sales, it's becoming a morbid fascination. They can't even be making a profit at this point after the costs of operating in an additional non-English market?

I'd love to know if and how much Microsoft is paying stores in Tokyo to keep giving display space to Xbone. It makes no sense unless there are deals in place.

Takao

Banned
Which was the best selling Digimon again? Cyber Sleuth is at 120k+.

Cyber Sleuth won't be the best selling one. Digging up MC data (since Famitsu seems to be off by a considerable amount) shows that Re:Digitize on PSP did 172k. Famitsu had the first Digimon Story on DS and the first Digimon World on PSone over 200k, but I'm not digging up those MC numbers (if any exist for the latter).

Assuming Adventure Tri isn't getting delayed, the game could continue to have some legs.

Top Bottom