• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2015 (Apr 06 - Apr 12)

Wynnebeck

Banned
yeah I know

but I want to go deeper

tumblr_inline_nia6wyyXnx1rb03mv.gif

Is that true? I don't know any numbers but that's disappointing. I liked the original release on the Vita and have been debating on which version to get (and waiting for a price drop on both to get both like FFX/X2 HD).

iirc, it didn't chart for PS4-only and charted at #3 then fell out of the chart in a couple of weeks for Vita-only, in the UK.

Maybe the rest of Europe + USA made up for it and I'm just jumping the gun here, but I doubt it :p

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's report

- Style Savvy 3 sold better than expected. Compared to the last entry (released in September 2012), the level of sales remained at the same level.
- Dying Light for PS4 also sold better than expected, and stores faced severe stock problems due to its demand.

Next week's prediction:

- Bravely Second for 3DS is expected to top the charts. Pre-orders are stronger than the last entry.
- Style Savvy 3 should keep the second spot. The third place will be disputed by various games as Toukiden PS4, Neptunia Victory II or BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma and others.

Tsutaya's report

- Style Savvy 3 sold better than expected. Compared to the last entry (released in September 2012), the level of sales remained at the same level.
- Dying Light for PS4 also sold better than expected, and stores faced severe stock problems due to its demand.

Next week's prediction:

- Bravely Second for 3DS is expected to top the charts. Pre-orders are stronger than the last entry.
- Style Savvy 3 should keep the second spot. The third place will be disputed for various games as Toukiden PS4, Neptunia Victory II or BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma and others.

Nepnep's got this.

Oregano

I think an issue with Bravely Third is what system Asano wants to make it for. 3DS will probably be dead and a sequel for the successor would probably need higher sales to justify development.

Mobile is possible, they use the same assets for a third time!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think an issue with Bravely Third is what system Asano wants to make it for. 3DS will probably be dead and a sequel for the successor would probably need higher sales to justify development.

Mobile is possible, they use the same assets for a third time!

Square Enix is kind of an interesting one on that front since they usually make games that have high end production values for the systems they're on, so if it's a 4DS game, and the 4DS is a fair bit ahead of the Vita, they gets pretty expensive very quickly.

Square Enix is kind of an interesting one on that front since they usually make games that have high end production values for the systems they're on, so if it's a 4DS game, and the 4DS is a fair bit ahead of the Vita, they gets pretty expensive very quickly.

Well, among the selling points of the first game there were hand-drawn scenarios; these would look much better on a system with higher resolution with zero additional costs. As for characters models, they are already super-deformed, so I do not think a more capable hardware would require much more work. Perhaps, the world-map would be more detailed, and perhaps dungeons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, among the selling points of the first game there were hand-drawn scenarios; these would look much better on a system with higher resolution with zero additional costs. As for characters models, they are already super-deformed, so I do not think a more capable hardware would require much more work. Perhaps, the world-map would be more detailed, and perhaps dungeons.

Would they actually keep them the same?

Square Enix feels like the type of company that would make the characters more like the concept art and then, even if they were still similar to the 2D areas, probably go and render them in 3D a la how Ace Attorney and Professor Layton changed from DS to 3DS.

I could be wrong, but that feels like the kind of move they would normally make when presented with more horsepower.

Well, historic record indicates that won't really be the case?

I wonder how many people talking about Bravely Second in these MC threads have even played Bravely Default. :)

I played, and it was gorgeous. A bit unbalanced, since you could build an immortal party.

Square Enix feels like the type of company that would make the characters more like the concept art and then, even if they were still similar to the 2D areas, probably go and render them in 3D a la how Ace Attorney and Professor Layton changed from DS to 3DS.

I could be wrong, but that feels like the kind of move they would normally make when presented with more horsepower.

Probably; do not know how much more costly would be. Note that in-game character design didn't change transitioning to 3DS for both Layton and Ace Attorney.

test_account

XP-39C²
the last huge whiff was on Majora's Mask 3D week 2, they predicted less than Ocarina of Time 3D week 2 and failed horribly

Pokemon ORAS also trolled them last holiday
Yes, it's possible that the game will do a fair bit better or a fair bit worse.

They tend to be pretty on, but not always as theprodigy points out.
I see, thanks for the info =)

I'd have to wonder what is the rate of WiiU owners who even pre-order. I don't pre-order Nintendo games anymore but I'll still buy them day one or two because there's no shortage of availability.
A Comgnet comparison would give some indication, but i cant remember any specific numbers right now. I remember that Pokemon games usually gets a pretty high pre-order on Comgnet at least.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder how many people talking about Bravely Second in these MC threads have even played Bravely Default. :)

I reached probably half the game, but then I abandoned it

Because my save file got corrupted, and I had to cancel it. I've yet to re-start it >___>

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, historic record indicates that won't really be the case?

I'd consider the 3DS far enough ahead of the PSP to allow a fair budget increase, so unless we expect a worse gap than that, you could work up a pretty good budget if you really wanted to.

Not many people have on the Vita, but I feel Square Enix is a bit different than your everyday publisher, which is why I'm even humoring this as a potential complication.

I'd say the same of Capcom who seems to have just eschewed the platform.

Kandinsky

I reached probably half the game, but then I abandoned it

Because my save file got corrupted, and I had to cancel it. I've yet to re-start it >___>

Lol I put around 50 hours in the game and I barely reached chapter 2, and then Fantasy Life , Monster Hunter 4, Majora's Mask and Xenoblade came out lol (last 2 are still sealed too!).

Oregano

I've played both BDFF and 4 Heroes of Light(my avatar is from that). I even got the Deluxe Edition with the ugly Agnes statue.

Do you mean losing the Chibi-style? I don't think they would do that considering BDFF and BS already have more standard proportioned characters in them. It seems to be legitimately a design choice.

They could do full-3D areas(they already have geometry in BDFF) but BDFF was significantly less 3D than 4HoL in that regard. Although judging from the Bravely Second footage some dungeons will have behind the back camera and 3D traversal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you mean losing the Chibi-style? I don't think they would do that considering BDFF and BS already have more standard proportioned characters in them. It seems to be legitimately a design choice.

They could do full-3D areas(they already have geometry in BDFF) but BDFF was significantly less 3D than 4HoL in that regard. Although judging from the Bravely Second footage some dungeons will have behind the back camera and 3D traversal.

I suspect the characters would look like the Agnes AR demo if they felt they could do that with eight characters on screen, especially given they decided to render her that way with realtime assets instead of just a CG trailer by VisualWorks.

As it is they have to fit everyone on a relatively small screen (see the OG 3DS) with a tiny resolution and get within the polygon and texturing limitations of the 3DS.

Oregano

I suspect the characters would look like the Agnes AR demo if they felt they could do that with eight characters on screen, especially given they decided to render her that way with realtime assets instead of just a CG trailer by VisualWorks.

As it is they have to fit everyone on a relatively small screen (see the OG 3DS) with a tiny resolution and get within the polygon and texturing limitations of the 3DS.

Oh, I kind of forgot about that. That would indicate some kind of target but I'm not sure that level of fidelity would be feasible for anything but a high budget console game. Especially with switchable costumes.

Also IIRC VisualWorks were credited with the AR stuff. Not sure quite how that stuff works from a rendering stand point.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Don't lose faith Niro, We know that the sales would be good enough and we will have Mrgrgr together here.^_^

English might not be your first language, so FYI it's "faith" instead of "fate" :).

I talk about Bravely Second because I loved the first game :). Honestly quite a few people at work were playing the game, which I hadn't seen happen in a while. The 1st half was glorious, and if Bravely Second is like that (as opposed to the latter half of Bravely Default), I think I'll enjoy it a bunch ;).

hongcha

Bravely Default is a fantastic game and I have preordered the JP Bravely Second, which releases tomorrow. I did my part, now here's hoping for Bravely Third!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I kind of forgot about that. That would indicate some kind of target but I'm not sure that level of fidelity would be feasible for anything but a high budget console game. Especially with switchable costumes.

Also IIRC VisualWorks were credited with the AR stuff. Not sure quite how that stuff works from a rendering stand point.

Well, I guess I'll boil down a little comparison for the heck of it.

For promotional reasons, Square Enix released a bunch of screenshots of Bravely Default rendered at 800x480 resolution, which gives us a sense of what the game would look like as-is on a higher resolution system with the same art assets. As you can see below (I've included four images), sometimes it looks quite nice, while others it looks decidedly insufficient. It would be a lower to lower-mid end game on a system like the Vita and probably distinctly lower end on the 4DS.

For comparison, here is what the AR models look likel. While I wouldn't expect it to look exactly like this (the Edea model is decidedly less detailed than Agnes for example), I wouldn't be surprised to see these types of proportions and art style in a 4DS Bravely Default game, since it matches up to the concept art design and they put them on the cart. Sadly no one took a picture of Ringabel, so I tried to make that one manually. Given what games like Digimon look like, I think you could do something similar on Vita hardware.

Now, here's a game on September 2014 mobile hardware by Square Enix. If we assume the 4DS's hardware is only two years old by the time it launches in Fall 2016 (at the earliest), in theory you could get something like this at a lower resolution. It's possible the hardware is notably older than this, but I'd still expect something marginally above the Vita. Obviously the art style would be rather different, but I'm using this as an example of feasible levels of detail.

So yeah, overall I feel that there would very plausibly be at least a moderate budget increase. Even if they didn't shift art styles as I'm proposing, the environmental detail in the first batch of screenshots would likely increase quite a bit as well as the detailing in the chibi character models and potentially everyone's animations and particle effects.

Oregano

Oh yeah, they definitely wouldn't just go for BDFF in HD. I think the enemy models would actually need the most work because a lot of them look relatively untouched from 4 Heroes of Light.

That is one ugly Edea models Mrgrgrgr

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Latest comgnet. Splatoon makes its appearance and it looks like DQX Wii got a bunch more preorders?

. [3DS] PUZZLE & DRAGONS SUPER MARIO BROS EDITION - 138pt
[PSV] ship this breaks (Limited Edition) - 78pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest X ancient dragon lore online - 66pt
[3DS] Brave Lee Second - 66pt
[3DS] specter watch Busters white dog Corps - 60pt
[WiiU] Dragon Quest X ancient dragon lore online - 55pt
[WiiU] Xenoblade Chronicles Cross - 46pt
[PS4] new dimension Geimu Neptunian Constitution null VII (Limited Edition) - 43pt
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project mirai Deluxe - 42pt
[3DS] specter watch Busters Akaneko-dan - 38pt
[PS4] new dimension Geimu Neptunian Constitution null VII (Normal Edition) - 38pt
[PS3] BLAZBLUE CHRONOPHANTASMA EXTEND - 35pt
[PSV] ship this breaks (Normal Edition) - 30pt
[PSV] IA / VT (Oia / visual Tracks) -COLORFUL- - 20pt
[PSV] Persona 4 DANCING ALL NIGHT Crazy Value Pack - 17pt
[PSV] IA / VT (Oia / visual Tracks) -COLORFUL- Crystal BOX - 17pt
[PS4] FINAL FANTASY XIV Blue Sky of Ishugarudo Collector's Edition - 16pt
[3DS] Fire Emblem if White Nights Kingdom - 16pt
[WiiU] Splatoon - 12pt
[PSV] Magic 壊神 Trillion (Limited Edition) - 12pt

wrowa

I'd consider the 3DS far enough ahead of the PSP to allow a fair budget increase, so unless we expect a worse gap than that, you could work up a pretty good budget if you really wanted to.

At the same time Bravely Default's production values aren't even in the same league as SE's PSP efforts, though. So, I wouldn't necessarily say that the increase of hardware power also means that the budget of a potential 4DS Bravely has to grow over the costs of a typical Vita game, since that clearly wasn't the case with Bravely Default either. Between Bravely Default's second half and Bravely Second apparently recycling a lot of the first game's content, it definitely feels like SE isn't giving the developers more money than absolutely necessary and if they are allowed to continue working on the franchise, I wouldn't expect that this would change.

Top Bottom