• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Ridley327

capcommonsterhunter5rjit.png

zlwkeirqgq5y.png

I still don't understand how they managed to misread the Switch launch hype with MHXX. It is one of the biggest no-brainers out there for an early title, and they somehow managed to screw that up.

Zedark

Zelda still at a 57.6% attach rate in Japan on Switch, will be interesting to see how it develops during the year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I still don't understand how they managed to misread the Switch launch hype with MHXX. It is one of the biggest no-brainers out there for an early title, and they somehow managed to screw that up.

It's funny as it's the successor to the sole system their releasing mainline MH. They better hope they have a holiday port to make up lost sales.

The proof is there. If it wasn't good it wouldn't be selling out. Are you telling me the Wii U was more supply constrained? I seriously can't believe there's still doubt.

Actually their point is the opposite. That if the Switch is more supply constrained than the Wii U anyway, then it might be that the sort of front loaded sales seen with that system have simply been squeezed into later weeks with the Switch, as people have to wait for there to even be consoles they can buy.

Instro

I'm still waiting until the Switch has sold the same amount of consoles as the Wii U did. Seeing whether this is just the hardcore who bought the Wii W in the first few weeks buying their Switch in the first few weeks, but the stock supply issues has dragged the numbers out giving the Switch impressive looking legs when compared to Wii U.

Pretty much. I'd like to see it pass the 3DS and WiiU so we can get a better picture. Hard to tell what the true legs are/will be until we hit that point.

jonno394

The proof is there. If it wasn't good it wouldn't be selling out. Are you telling me the Wii U was more supply constrained? I seriously can't believe there's still doubt.

Nah, that's not what I was saying, I'm just reigning in my own expectations :p

Are you referring to a cross platform release on 3DS and Switch?

zeromcd73

When is Crash Bandicoot releasing in Japan? Is it not a worldwide June release?
Decided to look around and it seems that Crash Bandicoot on PS4 has had no official announcement at all in regards to Japan, let alone a release date. Not even a single video posted on the official playstation youtube channel about Crash either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nah, that's not what I was saying, I'm just reigning in my own expectations :p

I think the main problem in drawing any direct comparson of system popularity at it's base level is that it's receiving multiple major system selling software in it's first few months something neither the 3DS or wii u had. It'll be long while until the effects off all of those wear off. The wii u got that level of software over the period of years and 3DS only really got it around Christmas where it shot up.

random25

I know mostly about the Switch/Zelda, but seems like 1-2 Switch seems to be tugging along decently as well.

This is what I'm saying about 1-2 Switch. There's a decent audience for party games in Japan, so it's no surprise that up to now it still remains the 2nd best selling Switch game, by total sales and by weekly sales ranking.

It's funny as it's the successor to the sole system their releasing mainline MH. They better hope they have a holiday port to make up lost sales.

They are trying to get people to double dip. XX will have a Switch port for the Holidays. Capcom is just shit with milking the fanbase though.

Pretty much. I'd like to see it pass the 3DS and WiiU so we can get a better picture. Hard to tell what the true legs are/will be until we hit that point.

It's pretty obvious that the system is much more popular than the WiiU. Once MK drops it will basically be impossible to distinguish launch hype from software hype

L~A

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch + Wii U = 475 837. 500k before the end of the month (most likely during MK8D week, unless there's a surprise increase for Week 16).

Looking at Wii U version sales (100k hit this week), I'd say that Zelda will not really be impacted negatively by MK8D. The game is selling well on its own, regardless of Switch hype (which does help).

Decided to look around and it seems that Crash Bandicoot on PS4 has had no official announcement at all in regards to Japan, let alone a release date. Not even a single video posted on the official playstation youtube channel about Crash either.

Hm, that's pretty odd.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why compete with Zelda at launch on a system with a low user base when you can get people to Double Dip for MHXX HD in the Fall on a +3m userbase?

Expecting a lot of Switch announcement from E3 through fall from Japanese publishers.

I think the main problem in drawing any direct comparson of system popularity at it's base level is that it's receiving multiple major system selling software in it's first few months something neither the 3DS or wii u had. It'll be long while until the effects off all of those wear off. The wii u got that level of software over the period of years and 3DS only really got it around Christmas where it shot up.
Are these system selling games not the very thing that establishes a console's popularity to begin with?

I know mostly about the Switch/Zelda, but seems like 1-2 Switch seems to be tugging along decently as well.

It's definitely the second game of the system at the moment. Will be curious to see if/how well that holds as more multiplayer titles - which MK8D, ARMs, and Splatoon all are - come to the system.

Ridley327

More or less, yeah. I don't think it would have been smart to drop 3DS entirely at that juncture, but ignoring new hardware with a game that would clean up real well on it is astonishing.

And hell, if the excuse is being uncertain if there's any cross-play capabilities, I don't think Nintendo is going to have any problem with trying to solve that issue, considering that we already know that Capcom had a major hand in determining the final hardware configuration for the Switch in the first place. This is Capcom playing it too damn safe and looking out of touch.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch + Wii U = 475 837. 500k before the end of the month (most likely during MK8D week, unless there's a surprise increase for Week 16).

Looking at Wii U version sales (100k hit this week), I'd say that Zelda will not really be impacted negatively by MK8D. The game is selling well on its own, regardless of Switch hype (which does help).

Plus well, it's not hard to see how people who buy the system might also get Zelda to help justify their purchase and provide variety. One big multiplayer game and one big single player game is a good baseline to have when getting a system.

jonno394

I know you are correct, hence why Nintendos strategy of releasing games like MK8, Arms, Splatoon 2 every 6 weeks should mean the Switch doesn't reach the 10k area any time soon, especially in the time frames other devices reached it.

I honestly can't see the Switch selling sub 40k until many weeks after Splatoon 2, but then depending on whatever software is announced for September, it might not go that low at any point this year.

Mr Swine

Banned
So we can safely say that Switch will be around 2-2.5 million at the end of the year if sales keep above 40k a week and then does 100-150k in he last 3 weeks of the year?

PS4 until June (as mentioned earlier in this thread)
04/20 - Dark Souls 3 The Fire Fades Edition, Parappa the Rapper
04/27 - Song of Memories、Tsuhou Senkyo, +2x super niche games

05/18 - Prey, Danganronpa 1/2 Reloaded
05/25 - Ys VIII, Hyper Light Drifter, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, +1x super niche game

06/01 - Tekken 7
06/20 - Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood
06/22 - God Wars
06/29 - Lego City Undercover, Portal Knights, Danganronpa Another Episode, 2Dark

vs
Switch until June:
04/20 Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker
04/28 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

05/26 Ultra Street Fighter II

06/01 Seiken Densetsu Collection
06/16 ARMS
06/29 Lego City Undercover

Less but bigger titles on Switch. In the upcoming 10 weeks.

jonno394

So we can safely say that Switch will be around 2-2.5 million at the end of the year if sales keep above 40k a week and then does 100-150k in he last 3 weeks of the year?

Just for reference, 3DS sold 1.5m in its first December. But then it had Mario KArt 7 and Monster Hunter 3 release in that period too!

Zedark

I've plotted the BOTW attach rate for Japan here, I think it's interesting to monitor it (for as long as we can anyway):

C9x7xusXcAE0U9y.jpg:large

Code:
Week		Attach Rate
1		56,62
2		59,02
3		59,62
4		58,15
5		58,65
6		58,46
7		57,57

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS4 until June (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

vs
Switch until June:

Less but bigger titles on Switch. In the upcoming 10 weeks.

If Switch was selling based on released games it should have dived below 20k already. It's riding launch, and maybe Splatoon, hype.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Are these system selling games not the very thing that establishes a console's popularity to begin with?

They are of course but in this particular example we're talking about many wii u ports and sequels so their would be a rough comparative base mark if they were as spaced out as on the wii u. Obviously the earlier support means larger initial install base which means third parties are more readily willing to support but this is an entirely simplified theoretical exercise anyway.

L~A

03./03. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo) {2017.03.30} (¥4.980) - 10.698 / 61.879 (-43%)

Better sales than expected after the meh debut, looks like 100k is a lock. Will be interesting to see how it sells during GW, and if it pops back up during Summer holidays.

May 12th Minecraft

That's right. It's digital-only, so I forgot.

If Switch was selling based on released games it should have dived below 20k already. It's riding launch, and maybe Splatoon, hype.

Zelda and 1-2-Switch combined are selling around 20k-30k, so that's where it should be right now, I guess. That lower number would be compensated by a bigger spike at MK8D's launch, which won't happen due to stock constraints.

vareon

This is what I'm saying about 1-2 Switch. There's a decent audience for party games in Japan, so it's no surprise that up to now it still remains the 2nd best selling Switch game, by total sales and by weekly sales ranking.

It's the game people buy just in case friends/family come over to play your brand new Switch, I think. I think Mario Kart will take over its place very soon.

KtSlime

PS4 schedule until the end of June:

Looks to be right. The only potential 100k seller on this would have to be Tekken 7. July has Gundam Versus/FFXIIHD which should definitely do 100k+ until DQ arrives.

That version of Tekken 7 is for PSVR, I doubt it will sell 100k.

random25

Is there still a shortage of Switch or the production finally stabilized? MK8D bump could be impeded if there's still a stock shortage.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Zelda and 1-2-Switch combined are selling around 20k-30k, so that's where it should be right now, I guess. That lower number would be compensated by a bigger spike at MK8D's launch, which won't happen due to stock constraints.

Zelda and 1-2-Swtch aren't the reason Switch is still out of stock right now.

Zelda and 1-2-Swtch aren't the reason Switch is still out of stock right now.

That's right. But what I mean to say is that in a normal situation, sales would now be lower and then rise again with the release of MK8 Deluxe in two weeks. The spike would be way bigger than now is possible due to production/stock constraints, so instead of a big spike, we'll see a more flat line but at a higher base level. (Although I think there will be a spike at MK8D launch, it won't reach anywhere near 100k)

Orgen

Well, PS4 is still hovering around 20k without significant recent games in the last few weeks, still up YoY and so on. Probably your question IS the issue: there are few significant games actually schedule until DQXI in July.

About MHXX it must be noted that MC is the tracker with lower LTD sales so far, with both Famitsu and Dengeki probably crossing the 1.5 million mark later today.
2 millions will not be achieved, imho, without the "Best price" release, but by a way smaller margin than originally expected looking at the first week MC numbers (not Famitsu nor Dengeki ones)

Still hovering around 20.000? It was at 30.000/week just 3 weeks ago (and it did have several significant launches the last few weeks with Nier, Horizon and Wildlands) so I wanted to know which ones were the next ones releasing because right now PS4 week sales seem very dependant on new releases instead of having an stablished baseline.

The 2.000.000 number was most in reference to the Capcom forecast as Nibel pointed out. With digital maybe it could reach that number... but I'm not sure anymore.

Top Bottom