• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
IIRC, it was after the Obon when Wii legitimately started slowing down, and at a rapid pace. That's exactly what Nintendo must try to avoid as much as possible.
Post Obon isn't what Nintendo should afraid but post Golden Week. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has to show its strength. At Obon Switch has Splatoon 2 and Wii had Dragon Quest Swords. If it makes it until then it will have better sales. Wii took a big hit at hardware the following months because of the lack of software.

Deku89

In the NPD thread, the rankings changed from units sold to revenue. I wanted to see how much the rankings changed when applied to the same format.

Code:
MC Rank	Name			Console	Price	Units	Revenue
1	Monster Hunter XX	3DS	¥5,800	43,941	¥254,857,800
2	Zelda: BotW		NSW	¥6,980	20,888	¥145,798,240
3	Mario Sports		3DS	¥4,980	10,698	¥53,276,040
6	Wildlands		PS4	¥8,400	6,022	¥50,584,800
4	1 2 Switch		NSW	¥4,980	10,048	¥50,039,040
5	Nier			PS4	¥7,800	6,265	¥48,867,000
8	Horizon			PS4	¥6,900	4,983	¥34,382,700
10	Zelda: BotW		WIU	¥6,980	4,740	¥33,085,200
12	Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5	PS4	¥6,900	3,556	¥24,536,400
16	Warriors All-Stars	PS4	¥7,800	3,117	¥24,312,600
9	Pokemon (S/M)		3DS	¥4,980	4,773	¥23,769,540
11	Mario Maker		3DS	¥4,700	4,325	¥20,327,500
13	Bomberman R		NSW	¥4,980	3,508	¥17,469,840
18	RepKiss			PSV	¥5,980	2,918	¥17,449,640
15	GTAV			PS4	¥4,990	3,328	¥16,606,720
7	Lego Worlds		PS4	¥2,980	5,157	¥15,367,860
14	Winning Eleven 2017	PS4	¥3,980	3,381	¥13,456,380
19	Yo-Kai Watch 3 Sukiyaki	3DS	¥4,800	2,802	¥13,449,600
17	Animal Crossing: NL	3DS	¥2,700	3,035	¥8,194,500
20	Minecraft		PSV	¥2,400	2,678	¥6,427,200

Passose

Banned
wonder why Nintendo and Level-5 are releasing many children games for 3ds though. I mean snack world, Pikmin, Ever Oasis, Lady Layton,etc

BriBri

Two more 3DS titles for July 20th...

Koueki Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kanken Training 2 (Imagineer)

Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4 (Intergrow)

Both are assumed retail.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Add a fourth Sumikko Gurashi game to the July schedule too (20th - obviously 3DS).

Two more 3DS titles for July 20th...

Koueki Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kanken Training 2 (Imagineer)

Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4 (Intergrow)

Both are assumed retail.

I guess I get Sumikko, since the last one launched 7/21/2016, but why is everyone releasing their games in July...

L~A

I guess I get Sumikko, since the last one launched 7/21/2016, but why is everyone releasing their games in July...

It's just before summer holidays + Obon, and third Monday of July is a public holiday (that's why the latest Pokémon movie always comes out on the Saturday just before that holiday. Same for Yo-kai Watch / Snack World).

hiska-kun

After summer holidays it is when we probably will start to see 3DS finally fading. Nintendo probably will focus on Switch on Christmas, so that's why everybody is rushing to release their 3DS before it happens.

LordKano

After summer holidays it is when we probably will start to see 3DS finally fading. Nintendo probably will focus on Switch on Christmas, so that's why everybody is rushing to release their 3DS before it happens.

I wonder if they all got a mail from Nintendo with the subject line : "ya better release all your 3DS shit before september or you'll get splatted by the Switch holiday train". Or something like that.

L~A

Hmm... now that you mention it... But Nintendo still has some 3DS stuff left, like that new multiplayer Kirby game, Fire Emblem Warriors, and more
like Pokémon Stars, ha.
Not to mention third-party stuff like SMT Deep Strange Journey, that Jake Hunter game from ASW, etc. (granted, there's nothing really too significant left outside DQXI, partly due to how short the announcement > release cycle for the 3DS).

I think they'll properly retire the 3DS after the Christmas holidays.

Now that I think about it, what's generally associated with lots of releases bundled together?... Wonder if there could be a 3DS price drop in July, like, July 13th (would explain why they put both Hey! Pikmin and Ever Oasis on the same day). Just a wild theory of mine, I know I've been "obsessed" about that non-existent price drop for a while, ha ha.

horuhe

Now that I think about it, what's generally associated with lots of releases bundled together?... Wonder if there could be a 3DS price drop in July, like, July 13th (would explain why they put both Hey! Pikmin and Ever Oasis on the same day). Just a wild theory of mine, I know I've been "obsessed" about that non-existent price drop for a while, ha ha.

I'm also a firm believer of having a price drop. So, I'm on the train of obsession as well.

I had another thought recently, is Yokai Watch going to appear on the Switch in some form this year?

Better stop, the Yo-Kai milking all around.

I am in agreement, doesn't mean that it won't happen. I think the smartest thing would be to just do a flat Yokai 4 in July 2018, but I see a spinoff or port coming either this fall or spring 2018 for Switch.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Ironically didn't YW3 do worse after taking an extended break between 2 and 3? Sure it probably has to do with the popularity of YW declining, but I'm sure YW3 would have sold even more than Busters had they released that instead in 2015. YW3: Sukiyaki is showing decent legs still though, so hopefully it maintains its relevance.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
Just like to mention now COMG rankings

Splatoon 2 - 117
Dragon Quest 11 (3DS) - 121
Dragon Quest 11 (PS4) - 103
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 204

I expect Splatoon 2 to surpass dragon Quest 11 (3ds) preorders within the next 3 days. :eek:
(Or as early as tomorrow)

Mory Dunz

Don't think we really need daily updates from COMG.

before, when the threads were 5-6 pages, it would have a large share of discussion. And people would take it too seriously
With the number of posts we're reaching now, it barely factors into discussion. Plus Only 3-4 posts respond to the comg rankings anymore tbh.

don't see the harm.

After pages of pointless monster hunter discussion, I wouldn't mind a COMG update.

this too

Hattori

Banned
I think the preorder numbers are one of many reasons DQ Switch is delayed. Splatoon is such a juggernaut, I wonder if Togashi will be playing that instead of DQ this summer...

Comg is probably one of the few stores taking pre-orders for Splatoon 2, maybe that's why it has so many points.

Also, a lot of people must be scared of not being able to get their hands on the game at launch. I mean, look at the Switch stock situation, it doesn't inspire much confidence.

OoQxjOa.jpg

Nintendo is alway ahead of the memes these days 🤔

Branduil

Comg is probably one of the few stores taking pre-orders for Splatoon 2, maybe that's why it has so many points.

Also, a lot of people must be scared of not being able to get their hands on the game at launch. I mean, look at the Switch stock situation, it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Well with a game there's always the option of buying it digitally at least.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

It is a combination of 3DS getiing its last big hit and Switch its first big hit so early and close this year. There is still momentun for 3DS and it won't fall to low levels until Dragon Quest.

If some other companies want to benefit from this 3DS situation now is the right time.

Passose

Banned
It is a combination of 3DS getiing its last big hit and Switch its first big hit so early and close this year. There is still momentun for 3DS and it won't fall to low levels until Dragon Quest.

If some other companies want to benefit from this 3DS situation now is the right time.
I remember the original nds still survived a few months after Black and White 2 launched, so the 3ds probably won't retire this year

Top Bottom