• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
How you mean it's final year? It wont be big after this year but its git at least 2 more years of selling in it
Sorry to nitpick, but it bothers me that you used the wrong "it's/its" in both cases.... >_>...

To actually answer the question, I think he's meaning it'll be the last big relevant 3DS year. Considering up until Switch release it was the top selling hardware (depends on tracker), it still is quite relevant at the moment.

Btw are we expecting Spelunker to chart next week? Given how Romance of the Three Kingdoms on Switch didn't seem to chart anywhere somehow (not even on MC Top 50 or Dengeki) when it released on 3/30, I'm just wondering.

Passose

Banned
Sorry to nitpick, but it bothers me that you used the wrong "it's/its" in both cases.... >_>...

To actually answer the question, I think he's meaning it'll be the last big relevant 3DS year. Considering up until Switch release it was the top selling hardware (depends on tracker), it still is quite relevant at the moment.

Btw are we expecting Spelunker to chart next week? Given how Romance of the Three Kingdoms on Switch didn't seem to chart anywhere somehow (not even on MC Top 50 or Dengeki) when it released on 3/30, I'm just wondering.
I almost forgot that game's existence lol

Probably my phone being weird, i swear autocorrect has a mind of its own

While sales will be noticably down I'd expect sales will still be relevant next year

I don't tgink you can use rotk as a barometer of anything its a series thats always had tiny sales at high prices, spelunker will most likely chart but cant see it doing much

Eolz

edit: nvm I'm late.

I think that's pretty decent despite the drop from Default.
Second got a bad rap from people that never played it, and were still holding a grudge from Default's "twist". Shame, since despite a worse story, it's actually a better RPG than the first one. Deserved better WW.

edit 2: I wanted originally to make a thread about it, I guess the translation of the tweet is legit?
edit 3: made a thread, thought it'd deserved it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

If we want to take Amazon charts as indication, Spelunker has always been way, way higher than ROTK, and it actually obtained to make it in top 100 at release (while ROTK peaked at around 360th when it released). So, it should chart. I wonder if it could achieve 10k first week or if its ceiling is 5k.

Btw, do we have any infos on the original f2p version's performance?

jeremy1456

Considering 3DS don't have any huge huge game except for DQ11, i think this is really its final year this time.

The PS4 only has one huge huge game in Japan announced too (DQXI, he did say 'huge huge' after all) so is this Ps4's last year?

See the flaw in your logic?

Fisico

edit: nvm I'm late.

I think that's pretty decent despite the drop from Default.
Second got a bad rap from people that never played it, and were still holding a grudge from Default's "twist". Shame, since despite a worse story, it's actually a better RPG than the first one. Deserved better WW.

I played it, I also didn't mind Bravely Default's twist, still dropped the game after a few hours because of how it was too similar and nothing that was new seems to be good for me.
Bravely Default had that original old school appeal with very modern gameplay features, Second lacked a lot of the former imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really? Ive seen almost nobody talk about the game, guess im out of touch.
There were a lot of aggressive sales overtime.

I think people tend to really underestimate how much that can help move units when games have some, but not astonishingly large amounts of interest.

Another example is that Mass Effect 2 only sold 1.6 million copies in its first two months despite shipping 2 million copies on day one, but got up over 3.5 million by the time Mass Effect 3 was revealed, largely on good reception and very strong price promotion.

Doom on Steam also only did around 300K at full price, but got up over a million with notably early $45 and $30 sales, and is now at 1.8 million.

I think Nintendo would benefit from somewhat more aggressive pricing on their lower sale first/second party games instead of just the third party distribution ones.

Fdkn

The PS4 only has one huge huge game in Japan announced too (DQXI, he did say 'huge huge' after all) so is this Ps4's last year?

See the flaw in your logic?

Where did he say Japan? You're totally missing the point.

DQXI is the last big game for 3ds period. Japan or anywhere else. There is nothing else relevant coming past this year. Now think about how is the PS4 software going WW.

DQXI is the last big game for 3ds period. Japan or anywhere else. There is nothing else relevant coming past this year. Now think about how is the PS4 software going WW.

For all we know the next Monster Hunter and Pokemon are going to have 3DS versions.

Eolz

I played it, I also didn't mind Bravely Default's twist, still dropped the game after a few hours because of how it was too similar and nothing that was new seems to be good for me.
Bravely Default had that original old school appeal with very modern gameplay features, Second lacked a lot of the former imo.

Yeah, I meant that there was a lot of backlash (easy to find the threads) when it was announced and released from people that didn't want to get it.
Most criticism I've seen from people that played the game (like you) is legitimate. Budget issues, worse music, worse story (a bit like FE Fates from FE Awakening interestingly enough), but still really good gameplay. They tried to change the appeal for a bigger audience I guess...

Fisico

Yeah, I meant that there was a lot of backlash (easy to find the threads) when it was announced and released from people that didn't want to get it.
Most criticism I've seen from people that played the game (like you) is legitimate. Budget issues, worse music, worse story (a bit like FE Fates from FE Awakening interestingly enough), but still really good gameplay. They tried to change the appeal for a bigger audience I guess...

Seeing the sales outside Japan that's mostly people complaining on forums in the end.
Second is around 500k while Default was <650k I think?
Criticism on Second is way more concerning because it could directly impact how an hypothetical Bravely Third would sell.

Fates and SMT4A were also pretty similar indeed, it's funny to see how differently they performed because it's clearly not the quality that mattered
SMT4A >>>>>>>> FE Fates > Bravely Second

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe popularity has rised demand for Switch.

Bigger shipments than usual will be given from Nintendo in order to cover Golden Week, they should top 100k for Mario Kart launch.

jeremy1456

This is a media create thread, why wouldn't he be talking about Japan?

In case you didn't realize media create doesn't track worldwide sales, or NA sales. You should go to NPD threads if you want to discuss sales outside of Japan.

Hey guys. Not entirely J sales related, but I consider this the default Sales thread around here. I took the old Nintendo shipment information from this thread and added it into Garaph; for NES, SNES, GB, N64. I prefer to stick with the officially released data it's easy to point to, but since it seems pretty legit and it's soooo much more valuable to have early data for those systems than having the first non-zero points be in the late 90s, I'm making an exception here.

There's a little bit of number massaging to make things work, so don't sweat the decimal points. For instance, the sum of yearly NES shipments to the Americas adds to 34.01 million, the value given there as "Aggregate", while the Total Sold to Retailers (and the number you'll find on Nintendo's shipment pages to this day) is 34.00 million. So I square this by getting the LTD values for each year, and subtracting 0.01 million from each. ~Accurate sales shape, comes to the right total, close enough for most comparison purposes we might have.

For most of the systems, the Aggregate / Total Sold to Retailers values are identical or extremely close, but there are a few cases that are so far apart I don't know what to make of it. Notably, Game Boy and N64 North American numbers have discrepancies of over a million!?

In all cases the older versions produced straight from Nintendo's modern shipment sheets are still in the system semi-hidden, renamed with "old" added to the end. What was NES_NA is now NES_NAold and so on.

Old
sa279cK.png

New
i1uHF7k.png

Fdkn

This is a media create thread, why wouldn't he be talking about Japan?

In case you didn't realize media create doesn't track worldwide sales, or NA sales. You should go to NPD threads if you want to discuss sales outside of Japan.

Yeah, this is a mediacreate thread, but every aspect of videogame industry is not decided by japanese sales even in Japan. A system is not reaching the end of its life because there is no '''huge''' games coming for it from Japan if there is also dozens of huge games coming for it from the west just this year.

He wasn't talking about Japan, but the 3DS in general. There is a thing called context, and it matters.

I wonder how much > 100,000 Nintendo will go for Mario Kart & Golden Week.

They could certainly sell a lot more than that.

They will have to surge in the US too, I'm not sure how much Nintendo is able to make in a month right now, but I don't think they can spare a whole lot more than 100k for Japan for a week.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They will have to surge in the US too, I'm not sure how much Nintendo is able to make in a month right now, but I don't think they can spare a whole lot more than 100k for Japan for a week.

Nintendo always puts Japan first even when its in their best interest not to.

Gradivus

Just like to mention now COMG rankings

Splatoon 2 - 117
Dragon Quest 11 (3DS) - 121
Dragon Quest 11 (PS4) - 103
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 204

I expect Splatoon 2 to surpass dragon Quest 11 (3ds) preorders within the next 3 days. :eek:
(Or as early as tomorrow)

It only took one day
Splatoon 2 - 138
Dragon Quest 11 (3DS) - 133
Dragon Quest 11 (PS4) - 116
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 219

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Post Obon isn't what Nintendo should afraid but post Golden Week. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has to show its strength. At Obon Switch has Splatoon 2 and Wii had Dragon Quest Swords. If it makes it until then it will have better sales. Wii took a big hit at hardware the following months because of the lack of software.

Actually, Dragon Quest Heroes released on July 12th, 2007. The Wii game that resembles Splatoon 2 the most in terms of positioning and scheduling was Mario Party 8, released on July 26th, 2007. But yeah, even then, Splatoon 2 has the potential to be far bigger than MP8, even in the short term.

Post Golden Week, I honestly believe MK8D will probably be able to do its job, coupled with the console's launch hype which seems to be still a thing, and hopefully Arms can sustain it as well starting from June, before S2 comes. Also, my earlier point (that Nintendo must avoid a sales drop similar to Wii's right after Obon) can be generalised and not be specifically an Obon reference, thinking more about it: they need to have at least a decent amount of attractive games at a regular pace going into the last months of the year. There's good potential, though.

horuhe

Don't know for Amazon but, at least, on Rakuten even though Splatoon 2 pre-orders haven't started yet, accessories like covers and the like are very popular in the daily charts, and started just this week, so Splatoon 2 reservations should open in very few days, no more than a week, I guess.

What do we expect the attach rates are going to be for MK8DX and Splatoon 2?

MK8DX will realistically be in 50-60% range like Zelda for a while. I'm hoping for 100% but that won't happen.

Splatoon 2 will be pulling 70-80% easy up until it hits 3 million or so.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Don't know for Amazon but, at least, on Rakuten even though Splatoon 2 pre-orders haven't started yet, accessories like covers and the like are very popular in the daily charts, and started just this week, so Splatoon 2 reservations should open in very few days, no more than a week, I guess.
Unless Nintendo wants to focus on Arms a little more, preorders might open next weekend or even Friday, benefiting that way from MK8DX launch.

Will Splatoon 2 preorder beat combined Dragon Quest XI in time?
It hasn't even officially gone up right, just Comgnet?

Eventually the switch userbase will limit splat 2, even at the most generous estimate we'd be looking at no more than 1.5m switch owners and pre orders for dq11 will beat that

D.Lo

Eventually the switch userbase will limit splat 2, even at the most generous estimate we'd be looking at no more than 1.5m switch owners and pre orders for dq11 will beat that
Yeah I honestly think they should have waited on Splatoon.

Hardware stock is holding everything back, keep polishing the game until the console needs a boost.

Passose

Banned

Hardware stock is holding everything back, keep polishing the game until the console needs a boost.
I think releasing Splatoon 2 this year is fine though, Switch needs a big seller in the summer, and Splatoon 2 will be the one. The beside, the game has legs lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park right away to foster a healthy software environment. Having Splatoon 2 ready within 5 months of launch is the best possible thing they could have done for Japan.

random25

Splatoon franchise proves to be a new evergreen title, so while it may be hampered in the short term, it will keep the system selling pretty well in the long term especially if Splatoon 2 exceeds the success of the first one.

Mr Swine

Banned
Weren't there reports that Nintendo had doubled the production of Switch units? Wouldn't it make sense for them to start shipping 70k+ units a week in Japan soon instead of 40-45k?

Top Bottom